PDA

View Full Version : Another insurance story.

Brickman
05-22-08, 12:14 AM
A week ago just before finals, my daughter on Long Island had to add some video to a project, so she stopped by the Long Island Rail Road station in Mineola. As she and another student were getting equipment out of the car, her friend screamed! "That car is going to run us over!" They ran for their lives, and sure enough it plowed into her car, which plowed into the station. Thank God for her screaming friend and quick foot work. :thumbup:

He popped the car in reverse, and hit her car again. Her friend received a slight wrist injury running away, but the photos of the car didn't look that bad, but it was damaged on the front and back.

She didn't get a car to use for most of her first year, but did from spring break on, totalling just 17,000 miles since March 05' including trips to Maine, Canada and working at Roosevelt Field Mall. Well maintained, clean new car.

Call today from their insurance adjuster was that the car is totalled. Would cost too much to fix it. They want to cut a check for almost what I paid for it, maybe a bit more. She is saddened by the loss of her nice car, but depending on employment, and apartment situation, may have had to be sold or stored if she locates in Manhattan.

Sean O'Gorman
05-22-08, 09:23 AM
Let me guess, it was a Honda? I swear those things do not depreciate at all.

indyfan31
05-22-08, 09:38 AM
He popped the car in reverse, and hit her car again.
Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Wait a minute. You can't just drop a line like that into a story and not explain it. Did he do it on purpose the second time? The first time? Was he TRYING to run the girls over? WTF? :confused:

Brickman
05-22-08, 11:20 AM
Let me guess, it was a Honda? I swear those things do not depreciate at all.

You are correct (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6508)

Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Wait a minute. You can't just drop a line like that into a story and not explain it. Did he do it on purpose the second time? The first time? Was he TRYING to run the girls over? WTF? :confused:

Good questions. After the accident the girls wouldn't even go over to see if he was ok because they thought he might be a nut. I saw the video of the accident scene, and he was driving a Toyota Avalon, and was an older white haired man. I sure don't think he was texting on his cell phone, but had not heard if it was medication, a slip of the foot twice, or just old age.

Andrew Longman
05-22-08, 11:48 AM
Sure sounds like peddle error.

A few years back an older gentleman came to my work to pick up his wife. As he was leaving he got the peddles wrong and went back and forth all over the parking lot taking out cars until he finally put it in a ditch.

But you don't have to be old. A few years back I was coming out of a parking lot and went for the brake as I came to the road. I missed the brake completely. Again and again. Didn't hit the gas, but muscle memory eluded me in a car I had been driving for years. Absolute panic as an oncoming car just missed me. Never had anything like it before or since