PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers Insurance

Brickman
05-20-08, 02:39 PM
So... when my step daughter got her first car, I got her a $2,000 clunker, paid $100 a month just for liability insurance. A good training wheels car.

When she saved up enough for a new car, I threw in an extra $1,000 for the down payment if she had her dad and her on the registration for the car, and... insurance. Life was good, because he put her as primary driver on his old clunker, and himself on her car, cheap.

2004 Wham... she runs into the back of a car (no damage to them) in her high school (senior) parking lot. You know how fast those high school parking lots can be when parents pick up their kids. :rolleyes: Dad turns in the insurance, $5,500 damage tells them she crashed it. Then a few months later, he goes and buys a new car. Cha Ching... Insurance through the roof.

2007 April: She runs into the back of a car, after the light switched green, I suspect she looked at cell phone texting... I insisted no insurance, just fix out of pocket, $2,000 using a friends shop, would have been much much higher.

2008 February: She follows car through intersection turning left, not looking for arrows or oncoming traffic. Dad turns it into insurance, $5,000 damage, insurance went up slightly, but would have gone down because she had turned 21.

2008 May: Been there done that... I was out of town, wham again, who knows, whatever, dad turns into insurance, it's gonna go up again, and stepdaughter won't argue against dear old dad about turning it in to insurance.

This is where teenagers and young adults get behind the 8 ball, repeated insurance claims lead to higher insurance or they end up canceling them. Then when their new car gets "old" and costs to keep the wheels on don't add up, and they want a new car, wham again, because a new car can cost far more than.

Score Card:

Car payment on 2004 Toyota Corolla. $156.

Insurance, multi car discount AAA Autoclub: Increased from $80 per month. Now $133...to be continued.

Sean O'Gorman
05-20-08, 03:13 PM
You are complaining about a $636 rate increase? After all the damage she's caused, I'd say you got a deal.

Badger
05-20-08, 03:27 PM
Seriously, don't we call drivers like that Wankers? There is such a thing as being unlucky, but the evidence is strongly suggesting the Miss is a poor driver. How many more crashes before the state decides that insurance won't be a problem for the next 6 months or so?

TKGAngel
05-20-08, 03:35 PM
Have you thought about recommending that your stepdaughter take an insurance reduction driving course?

cameraman
05-20-08, 04:00 PM
Have you thought about recommending that your stepdaughter take an insurance reduction driving course?

Hell any kind of driving school. Sounds like she needs to learn to pay her own way too.

Brickman
05-20-08, 04:01 PM
You are complaining about a $636 rate increase? After all the damage she's caused, I'd say you got a deal.

Oh... the first go round when she was 17, her insurance went to $2,700 a year.

I have no idea what this one will be, but I'll update it.

I want her to mute her cell phone from the time she gets in the car, until she gets out, and pull out the radio or disconect it. She admitted she was talking to her cousin on it at the last brain fade.

Before the previous accident, I could hear her car coming up the street from the loud radio.

Honestly... she needs a course in common sense. Two accidents in 6 months, 3 in about a year.

Gnam
05-20-08, 04:02 PM
Have you thought about recommending that your stepdaughter take the bus?
fixed. ;)

Brickman
05-20-08, 04:08 PM
fixed. ;)

Sweet.

She can walk to college.

It's that pesky $9.79 hour job that her mom says she needs a car for.

They are renting her one while hers is in the shop.

Sean Malone
05-20-08, 04:11 PM
It's texting that get me with my daughter. I catch her all the time texting while driving. I told her the next time I catch her I'm throwing her phone in the f'n Gulf of Mexico and I'm not kidding. It would be FAAAARRR worse punishment than taking the car away.

Brickman
05-20-08, 04:55 PM
It's texting that get me with my daughter. I catch her all the time texting while driving. I told her the next time I catch her I'm throwing her phone in the f'n Gulf of Mexico and I'm not kidding. It would be FAAAARRR worse punishment than taking the car away.

Our Inland area is worst in California, 13th most dangerous in nation, 30.26 deadly collisions for every 100,000 teen drivers per Allstate.

http://media.allstate.com/categories/7-news-releases/releases/4404-allstate-america-s-teen

oddlycalm
05-20-08, 09:02 PM
With this and your previous thread about the drinking it sounds as like she thinks she's on the Britney Spears wannabe ride at ValGal Mountain. How's she doing on birth control and keeping the panties installed while in public part? :\

I realize you're not in a position to introduce consequences so I hope you don't end up having to deal with tragedy or massive liability.

oc

Brickman
05-21-08, 12:39 PM
With this and your previous thread about the drinking it sounds as like she thinks she's on the Britney Spears wannabe ride at ValGal Mountain. How's she doing on birth control and keeping the panties installed while in public part? :\

I realize you're not in a position to introduce consequences so I hope you don't end up having to deal with tragedy or massive liability.

oc

Besides heading over to her girl friends every few days, she's "behaving" quite well. Although when you hear them talking to cousins a few weeks ago "I drink in front of mom so she can see that I handle alcohol responsibly"... I can figure out the score when it comes to boozing.

I bite my tongue so much I'm surprised I have one, unfortunately since I don't want my wife parenting my daughter, I can't do the same, just give suggestions. :irked:

Don't want the kid hurt, but would love to pull out her radio and take her cell phone away.

oddlycalm
05-21-08, 04:48 PM
Don't want the kid hurt, but would love to pull out her radio and take her cell phone away. Sure, inconvenienced and pissed short term is better than tragedy down the line. In some cases it seems we've insulated our kids too well from reality and consequences. So well that they are placed at a disadvantage in a less than forgiving and competitive world.

My buddy who was an MSF instructor told me that motorcycle safety was much easier to teach to city kids because the local trauma unit was first hand familiar and in their neighborhood if you bent your ride it stayed bent and you walked and took the bus to work.

oc

TravelGal
05-21-08, 06:17 PM
unfortunately since I don't want my wife parenting my daughter, I can't do the same, just give suggestions. Don't want the kid hurt, but would love to pull out her radio and take her cell phone away.

It sounds as if your daughter is a college graduate would put any sort of "parenting" (probably even yours because you've done your job) into the proper perspective. The other daughter seems immune so the question is whether it is worth the rest of the noise to have your say every once in a while.

nissan gtp
05-21-08, 06:22 PM
let her pay her own way or walk

sounds like she has (a very common) growing up problem. the lesson of personal responsibility is best learned early

Ed_Severson
05-21-08, 08:52 PM
Sell her on the black market.