PDA

View Full Version : Undera

rabbit
05-19-08, 11:04 AM
I am, nor have I ever been, an Eddie Cheever fan by any stretch of the imagination. But I have to say, I don't think he has done a half bad job covering quals on the telly. He certainly outshines Marty Reid and Scott Goodyear, not that that's real tough to do. But I think he has done a good job of not getting into the politics of the split and just talking about the racing.

He's also been funny a few times. Example: yesterday, while they went through the lineup, Cheever was making comments about various drivers and what their prospects for the race were. He got to Tomas Scheckter and turns to Goodyear and says, "I'll let you talk about him." :laugh: Also last week when he asked Goodyear about passing the pace car in 1995 and said, "I just have one question. What the hell were you thinking?"

If nothing else, he is entertaining.

Sean Malone
05-19-08, 11:12 AM
I can't stand the guy and after I watched the last hour of bump day yesterday I was thinking that Goodyear, Cheever and especially Arute made the broadcast much, much less enjoyable. Cheever talks down to everyone and everything with a monotone drone like he's on Valium. Goodyear talks to the lowest common denominator and Arute and his over the top melodramatic 'observances' are nauseating.

The funny thing is that following the Indy Cars was top fuel quals with guess who announcing? None other than Paul Page. I listened to him for five minutes or so (drag racing bores the crap out of me) and he was 10X better the the three Indy Car bozos combined.

IMO. ;)

Accipiter
05-19-08, 11:29 AM
He's a prick, but he's not bad in the booth. I remember him filling in for some F1 races in the past and doing a good job. I'd be down for trading him for Goodyear full time because Scott is just a dip.

I haven't watched much IRL in the past 12 years and had forgotten just how bad Jackaroo is.

robot9000
05-19-08, 12:06 PM
I'm okay with Goodyear and Mary. Not impressed, but...

Arute, man that guy is just a tool :-(

What was that crap about Newman staying away from the track because of the Byrd cafe SNFU ?!?! Sure, thats a common story, but if they think it was that, an not FTG's attempt at hijacking AOW racing, that kept PLN from Indy, um well I have a bridge to sell you.

Cheeber is smarmy. I'd live quite contentedly with Page and Gerrold. Or maybe I'm just getting old and pining for the 'Good Old Days' :saywhat:

Elmo T
05-19-08, 12:09 PM
Goodyear versus Cheever.... reminds me of this:

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/6520/giantdouchevsturdsandwich7om.jpg

Don Quixote
05-19-08, 01:02 PM
Undera is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Never really liked intellectual sounding narcissists. :gomer:

G.
05-19-08, 01:23 PM
I'm okay with Goodyear and Mary. Not impressed, but...
:eek: :eek: :eek:

High Sided
05-19-08, 01:25 PM
i miss rusty wallace :D:yuck:

Ankf00
05-19-08, 01:30 PM
Jason Priestley.

boo-yah.

robot9000
05-19-08, 02:33 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Lots of coffee this morning :tony:

I meant Marty Reid....

Chaos
05-19-08, 02:50 PM
good commentator... unimpressive driver

his driving couldn't cash the cheques his mouth was writing

G.
05-19-08, 03:18 PM
Lots of coffee this morning :tony:

I meant Marty Reid....
My shock was not due to a typo on your part.

Listening to Scooter and Mary make me want to hurt baby animals.

So I don't, much.

That's all.

TedN
05-19-08, 03:25 PM
I've had the utmost respect for Cheever ever since the 1995 Indy 500 when he got caiught up in the 1st lap Stan Fox incident.

"Friends and others told Cheever he was just in the wrong place at the right time. Eddie said little about the accident, until the following evening at the annual victory banquet.

"While nearly every other driver voiced hope for Stan's recovery, Cheever, who was obviously very concerned about his fellow driver, spoke his mind. 'If my job was to help make Stan's impact a little softer,' Cheever said, 'then I was glad to be there.'"

Source (http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/pic-1995.htm)

Ted

Sean Malone
05-19-08, 03:47 PM
Andretti the lesser has said 'nice' things about fellow drivers. Doesn't make me like him either.

Michaelhatesfans
05-19-08, 03:47 PM
Cheever is a witty guy, loyalties notwithstanding. I remember him being congratulated for saving the car after his first spin on an oval, and he insisted that it's hard to take credit for a save when your eyes are closed and you're screaming.

That aside, I always thought it odd that he became such a mouthpiece for the IRL considering how he dismissed the speedway when he first arrived there (as a CART driver...). When asked how the "half million" people struck him, he shrugged and said that you should see Monaco with 100,000. But that was before he got into the Kool Aid.

Cam
05-19-08, 08:47 PM
I've had the utmost respect for Cheever ever since the 1995 Indy 500 when he got caiught up in the 1st lap Stan Fox incident.

Source (http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/pic-1995.htm)

Ted

Yep. I have said that many times myself. :thumbup:

STD
05-19-08, 09:06 PM
As long as Cheever's commentary goes along with something I wouldn't waste the time watching in the first place, it's cool with me. :laugh:

High Sided
05-19-08, 09:43 PM
my fav was arie, he'd correct sneva. one year in the booth then back on the track for another 500 win:thumbup:

Indy
05-19-08, 10:52 PM
maybe I'm just getting old and pining for the 'Good Old Days'

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2010/300pxdeadparrotvh4.png

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Robot, are you an ex-parrot? :D

Methanolandbrats
05-19-08, 10:53 PM
Ya know, I kinda miss this place, but I check in and I wonder why you people watch that crap? Marty Roth and Lazer = bumping? Might as well put Rosie in a Wicked Weasal thong and rub one out. :yuck:

Indy
05-19-08, 10:59 PM
That's just wrong.

Sean Malone
05-19-08, 11:21 PM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4724/rosiegu1.jpg

Don Quixote
05-19-08, 11:28 PM
My eyes, my eyes!!!!! :yuck:

Michaelhatesfans
05-20-08, 12:05 AM
Sean Malone - from down town!!!

:rofl:

Freaking cyber space haymaker!:laugh:

Spicoli
05-20-08, 07:24 AM
I hate to say this, but its not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I mean, when The F was she ever THAT skinny?

: photshop: ?

EVL29
05-20-08, 01:41 PM
Saw "Exit to Eden" on late night cable once. And while Rosie O. in leather isn't my thing,seeing Dana Delaney full on nude....http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/woot.gif

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/2thumbs.gif

indyfan31
05-20-08, 03:09 PM
The funny thing is that following the Indy Cars was top fuel quals with guess who announcing? None other than Paul Page. I listened to him for five minutes or so (drag racing bores the crap out of me) and he was 10X better the the three Indy Car bozos combined. IMO. ;)

I watched the quals too and had the exact same thought.
That said, if Cheever keeps needling Goodyear all year long, I may tune in just for that.

grungex
05-21-08, 06:31 PM
If he says eckspecially one more time :flame::flame:

emjaya
05-21-08, 08:02 PM
Cheeber at Detroit in the wet. :)

bE13zilzvXE&rel

Don Quixote
05-21-08, 09:02 PM
coiled snake.