PDA

View Full Version : 33 is just a number...

dando
05-18-08, 07:57 PM
With only 36 legitimate car/driver combinations, it makes one wonder what kind of field the Indianapolis 500 would have put together without the 10 new full-time IndyCar Series entries that came from the demise of the Champ Car World Series.

Yet an hour after qualifying ended, most of the folks still at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway weren't fixated on that. They were instead raving about that magic last half-hour of qualifying.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/columns/story?columnist=oreovicz_john&id=3402290

:laugh:

Precisely why :tony: was forced into settling the civil war and picking up the tab when he did. :saywhat:

Thanks again, :tony:.

:finger:

-Kevin

nrc
05-18-08, 08:09 PM
Evidently so is 99. Just saw a story that Townsend Bell was tooling around in #99. So I guess the gomers don't feel obligated to respect the retirement of Greg Moore's number even though they supposedly took over the history. :flame: :thumdown::thumdown::thumdown:

Insomniac
05-18-08, 08:11 PM
So there was legitimate bumping? How long has it been since that happened?

Insomniac
05-18-08, 08:17 PM
Evidently so is 99. Just saw a story that Townsend Bell was tooling around in #99. So I guess the gomers don't feel obligated to respect the retirement of Greg Moore's number even though they supposedly took over the history. :flame: :thumdown::thumdown::thumdown:

Shame on Bell and Dreyer & Reinbold Racing. I saw it was used by some other drivers in past years browsing Wikipedia.

Didn't CART/CC also unretire 14?

SurfaceUnits
05-18-08, 08:18 PM

99 on an irl wagon has as much significance as the 99 on a craftsman lawnmower

Wheel-Nut
05-18-08, 08:22 PM
Yes, bumping occured. Stoopid Mario bumped Yasakawa. Yasakawa tried another attempt. Buddy Lazier cranked all the wing out and bumped Stoopid Mario and puts Roth on the bubble. Stoopid Mario makes one more attempt and eats the wall. Day over.

P.S. AJIV had a spectacular fire and spin into the wall with his qualified primary. Lots of work to be done before "carburetion" day. Parts flying off the car before he met the wall.

http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=69774&size=med&time=0.608428275096232

dando
05-18-08, 08:23 PM

2 years if you count Roth's mercy killing two years ago, which is also when they had Smoke in the garage with Foyt's team. :irked:

-Kevin

Spicoli
05-18-08, 08:23 PM
'

Marty the Party, Stoopid Mario, and some Laziers. Oh, and genetically superior Maxi-Papis. :rofl:

Drama. Pure
I've never been a big Buddy fan but what I saw today was top-notch. He simply went out there and did what had to be done. You can't state it any simpler than that. I also have to believe that he had that thing about as close to the ragged edge as you can get and he kept it straight and put together some really nice laps.
gomer
INCREDIBLE DRIVE! Great Job Buddy and Hemelgarn/Johnson!

That was an incredible last 30 minutes! drama.

You can;t get much more stupider than this lineup. :gomer:

extramundane
05-18-08, 08:35 PM
'

Marty the Party, Stoopid Mario, and some Laziers. Oh, and genetically superior Maxi-Papis. :rofl:

I guess Max needs Indy more than Indy needs Max. :rofl:

Marty the One-Man Party + Lazier/Fat Ron The Walrus = Ratings GOLD. Mark my words.

Insomniac
05-18-08, 09:04 PM
I guess it won't be bump day until Penske fails to qualify all 3 cars. Now that was crazy,

dando
05-18-08, 09:19 PM
I guess it won't be bump day until Penske fails to qualify all 3 cars. Now that was crazy,

Indy quals reached a pinnacle in '94 and '95 when Rahal and Penske failed to qualify in respective years. Now that was eggcitement...of course in '96 The Split started. :irked:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE6DE1630F931A15756C0A9639582 60&n=Top%2FReference%2FTimes%20Topics%2FSubjects%2FA% 2FAutomobile%20Racing

-Kevin

Fio1
05-19-08, 12:43 AM
I was really hoping Roger Y would have bumped Marty Roth.

cameraman
05-19-08, 02:40 AM

Roger Penske was on the wall in Erda Utah today. Guess things have changed a bit since '95.

robot9000
05-19-08, 07:55 AM
I think they finally put some drama in [painfullyobvious] that has been missing the last few (read:12) years [/painfullyopvious]. I was actually pulling for our Wanker to bump out their wankers.

Sean Malone
05-19-08, 08:42 AM
I was really hoping Roger Y would have bumped Marty Roth.

I've never heard Roth talk before. He's annoying and in over his head.

SteveH
05-19-08, 09:53 AM

And 49 years old!

Easy
05-19-08, 10:54 AM
Roger Penske was on the wall in Erda Utah today. Guess things have changed a bit since '95.

Yeah, his cars qualified this year.:D

I don't think MTP had much presence at Indy yesterday. The drivers were already in NYC for publicity tour.

Napoleon
05-19-08, 11:13 AM
And 49 years old!

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, he's older then me!

robot9000
05-19-08, 12:15 PM
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, he's older then me!

He's older than most everyone in the pits!

Due to his sizable wallet and misicule talent (and common sense), he has overtaken Abe Vagoda on my "any day now..." list.

Napoleon
05-19-08, 12:54 PM
He's older than most everyone in the pits!

Due to his sizable wallet and misicule talent (and common sense), he has overtaken Abe Vagoda on my "any day now..." list.

After my original post it occured to me that come January 09 there is a good chance that Roth will be older then the President of the US (and Obama is a few months younger then me, so I am really going to feel like I am getting up there in age if the guy who runs the country is younger then me).

Fio1
05-19-08, 02:18 PM
You have to admit that it was pretty brave for Buddy Lazier to go out there after making a wing height change and qualifying with speed faster then he'd run during practice. There aren't many guys & girls in the field (and wishing they were in the field) that could have done that. No practice, no sim-lap, just a warm up lap and go for it! Pretty cool! :thumbup:

Chaos
05-19-08, 02:52 PM

perhaps... but he still qualified. But then so did Milka Dunno