PDA

View Full Version : Media vs IRL

aportinga
05-16-08, 12:53 PM
Speed doesn't care & the "Partner" doesn't either....

What to do???

Does the IRL bit the bullet and pay for TV time. If they even did - could they manage that worth a damn?

I don't this the buy out is gonna amount to ****!

OW is a dead dog:thumdown:

Don Quixote
05-16-08, 01:00 PM
The best part of a time buy would be the irony. That would complete the cycle. The partner's coverage, what little I have seen, is horrible. But the product is so bad it doesn't matter which network is covering it. Welcome Earl to the world of irrelevance.

chop456
05-16-08, 01:02 PM
Welcome? :D

Sean Malone
05-16-08, 01:06 PM
They had nine hours of TV coverage for pole day quals with about 15 minutes of on track 'action' *cough*.

TV isn't their problem.

Spicoli
05-16-08, 01:20 PM
They had nine hours of TV coverage for pole day quals with about 15 minutes of on track 'action' *cough*.

TV isn't their problem.

The prollem starts at the top. But you knowed that, accourse.

aportinga
05-16-08, 01:56 PM

TV isn't their problem.

Well it is both product and TV. However my argument is that the media in general think TG is a moron so why bother?

Insomniac
05-16-08, 01:59 PM
Speed doesn't care & the "Partner" doesn't either....

What to do???

Does the IRL bit the bullet and pay for TV time. If they even did - could they manage that worth a damn?

I don't this the buy out is gonna amount to ****!

What are you talking about? They have Indy, and someone will pay for all the crap that comes with it.

aportinga
05-16-08, 02:27 PM
Of course they will. But if they stay with the tards @ ABC then then all other races suffer as a result of horrid programming.

pchall
05-16-08, 02:35 PM
The IRL is sending out free video to local stations in this market. Also pumping driver interviews... Sarah gone Wild on a couple of regional outlets. Hope the local truffle population survives...

aportinga
05-16-08, 02:52 PM
I am in Chicago and have not seen a thing. Furthermore you would think as an attendee of all but 1 USGP they would use their existing mailing list to shoot out a mention of this years race.

Nada....

Again the only mainstream national networks think the series is a joke.

Hell last Tuesday I plugged in for a special edition of Windbag thinking they were going to discuss Danica, 500 and merger.... All they had on was Dale and frickin Ned Jarrett.

SPEED clearly could care less - in fact I know a few folks over there which share that opinion so I would have to believe that those thoughts permeate throughout the company.

ESPN/ABC - 4 races, 2 of them bumped ini my neck of the woods.... one for amature womens golf and the other for bowling.

Hey - I am not complaining but I sure wish I had a dependable alternative in OW racing.

Michaelhatesfans
05-16-08, 03:17 PM
Hell last Tuesday I plugged in for a special edition of Windbag thinking they were going to discuss Danica, 500 and merger.... All they had on was Dale and frickin Ned Jarrett.

You tuned in for that?:confused:

Anyway, there's no competing with Dale, Dale, and his other brother Dale.

aportinga
05-16-08, 04:05 PM
You tuned in for that?:confused:

Anyway, there's no competing with Dale, Dale, and his other brother Dale.

I quickly tuned out dude!

Sean Malone
05-16-08, 04:28 PM
I am in Chicago and have not seen a thing. Furthermore you would think as an attendee of all but 1 USGP they would use their existing mailing list to shoot out a mention of this years race.

Nada....

Again the only mainstream national networks think the series is a joke.

SPEED clearly could care less - in fact I know a few folks over there which share that opinion so I would have to believe that those thoughts permeate throughout the company.

ESPN/ABC - 4 races, 2 of them bumped ini my neck of the woods.... one for amature womens golf and the other for bowling.

Hey - I am not complaining but I sure wish I had a dependable alternative in OW racing.

When has Speed ever cared about anything but NASCAR and Pinks?

Cam
05-16-08, 04:32 PM
When has Speed ever cared about anything but NASCAR and Pinks?

True. RIP Speedvision. :cry:

NismoZ
05-16-08, 04:42 PM
Maybe Spike is looking for a mate?

NismoZ
05-16-08, 04:50 PM

High Sided
05-16-08, 04:52 PM

didn't you hear, there is no usgp? :tony:

stroker
05-17-08, 06:51 PM

That's news? I'm not even sure it's a bad thing. The sooner it croaks the sooner somebody else can try to do it again properly.

miatanut
05-17-08, 10:27 PM
That's news? I'm not even sure it's a bad thing. The sooner it croaks the sooner somebody else can try to do it again properly.

:thumbup:

Sean Malone
05-18-08, 12:07 AM

Like Paul Gentilozi and Kevin Kalkovan? :gomer:

matthole
05-18-08, 12:48 AM
Like Paul Gentilozi and Kevin Kalkovan? :gomer:

Like :tony: ? :shakehead

FCYTravis
05-18-08, 02:11 AM
"One of the most intense days in racing is Sunday at IMS, Bump Day Qualifying." :laugh:

Yeah, thrill to the "spectacle" of seeing AJ Foyt IV and Marty Roth battle it out for that 33rd starting position.

God, what a joke. It's as if nobody there truly remembers what Bump Day meant.

When Penske packed up and went home, that was intense.

This is just pantomime and pretense.

ChrisB
05-18-08, 09:23 AM
TV isn't their problem.
The prollem starts at the top. But you knowed that, accourse.

Yep... I'm sure that if ABC had a big Nascar contract they'd kick up their effort MANY notches.

It's the IMS that needs to do something to make this series more compelling before expecting TV to do it.

Sean Malone
05-18-08, 10:11 AM
Like :tony: ? :shakehead

Gerry Forsythe is RIGHT NOW secretly gathering teams and cars for his new open wheel series that he will debut next year. It's all hush hush as he doesn't want the Evil One to try to thwart his plan. Things will be OK!!!

Chaos
05-18-08, 11:44 AM
I posted this at another forum:

One this I keep reading is that ABC must do more to promote the series and/or treat it with more respect (this one is usually used when the IRL is bumped onto ESPN 8 ). The coverage is horrible, etc, etc, etc. My question is... why? why should ABC change from the status quo? What is in it for them?

ABC pays $X amount of dollars to the IRL to cover the sport. The contract signed with IRL does not prevent ABC to do what it's doing - minimal coverage and no restriction of moving it to a secondary or tertiary channel. Whose fault is that? It's comical when fans get steamed over this stuff - they should bark at the IRL for not considering such arrangements in the contract. Even worse, the IRL knew about these conditions, but they really had no leverage to negotiate against them. In neither case is it ABC's fault.

That notwithstanding, let's take the argument that ABC should promote the series more (with bumpers and commercials etc)... again, why? Why should ABC spend their money to raise the ratings .1 resulting in no discernible gain in revenue? I'm sure they've done the cost/benefit analysis and it showed them that spending even 1 penny more than what they have to as per their contract will make them lose money.

So where should the promotion money come from? The IRL - they can buy commercials, they can sponsor other programming. They are trying to sell a product, so they must use the means that are available to them. They should not expect anyone else to do it for them.

Then after spending their money, and there becomes a positive shift in the demand for the product, then it can use that leverage to negotiate a better deal. Until then... open up your wallet IRL.

Easy
05-19-08, 11:06 AM
Gerry Forsythe is RIGHT NOW secretly gathering teams and cars for his new open wheel series that he will debut next year. It's all hush hush as he doesn't want the Evil One to try to thwart his plan. Things will be OK!!!

The Forsythe American Indystylecar League©

Chaos
05-19-08, 02:53 PM

I don't think this series would have a hope in hell...