PDA

View Full Version : AGR buys Toronto

G.
05-15-08, 04:19 PM
Cartification rolling onward.

apologies to Torontanians (http://www.andrettigreenracing.com//uploadimages/File/Toronto_Purchase_051508_FINAL_2.pdf)

Dirk Diggler
05-15-08, 04:35 PM
"...Andretti Green Racing -- the winningest team in IndyCar Series history..."

Ye gods.

"Michael Andretti: As a driver, Toronto was always my favorite race of the year and it will be no different as a promoter."

Take that, Tony!:rofl:

Gnam
05-15-08, 04:54 PM
Which oval bites the dust to make room for Toronto?

I can just see next year's commercial promo...After a 12 year absence, open wheel racing returns to the streets of Canada. :irked:

Corner5
05-15-08, 04:57 PM
More here-

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2008/05/15/indy-toronto.html

Tourism Toronto ,the government and Exhibition Place all chipped in.

Wonder how much AGR paid KK and GF?

Michaelhatesfans
05-15-08, 05:00 PM
"As a driver, Toronto was always my favorite race of the year and it will be no different as a promoter"

Funny that you never see that "why would you want to turn right" ad anymore.:saywhat:

Wheel-Nut
05-15-08, 05:56 PM
Looks like AGR is doing their part to "re-cartify" open wheel racing. :thumbup:

NismoZ
05-15-08, 05:57 PM
I see you all agree, then...this is a GOOD thing!:D? So, decrapafication starts with the tracks. Be patient. Gotta/gonna have at LEAST 3 more...Road America, Surfers, Cleveland, along with Long Beach and Toronto makes 5. Add in The Glen, Mid Ohio, St. Pete, Infineon and Belle Isle and we have 10. I think Edmonton, Houston and Mexico City might make it in by '010? Even a new less intrusive Las Vegas site is being looked into. Wish that one had worked! You are correct...which ovals get dropped? I'd like to suggest KEEPING Indy:rofl: and of course Milwaukee. Kansas I actually like. Texas I hate but I can't see them dropping it. Same with Chicagoland. Those two make $$ sense, though. Iowa and Richmond can go scratch along with any other ISC track as far as I'm concerned. Heard FT:gomer: actually asked Phoenix for a date and The Visionary was offered a Friday night pre-pre race warmup event!:shakehead F*** 'em! I guess New Hampshire is being looked into as well. So if Homestead and Motegi make the cut I guess Kentucky and Nashville take a hike? What would that make, a 17 race schedule, with room for 3 "others"...which should be small ovals?...but not Iowa or Richmond! The split would be: 5 road (incl. Clev.)/5 street (incl. St. Pete)/5 big ovals(1.5+) and 3 small ovals (1.0) PLUS Indy! (own category!) Sheesh, even room for Iowa or Richmond or Kentucky to make 20. (If I counted correctly) I'd take another natural terrain road course ANY day over them but what do you think the chances of that would be? (Long way from "the couple" of non-ovals FTG promised back in the day!)

Gnam
05-15-08, 06:22 PM
Mt. Tremblant next? :tony:

It's weird. Like if Germany won WWII, and Hitler's first move was to disband the Third Reich and hold elections. Or if after Darth Vader destroyed the Jedis, he then turned against the Dark Side and opened his own Jedi Academy.

G.
05-15-08, 06:26 PM
Road America is next. Mikey always said he wanted ftg to go after Toronto, RA, Surfer's, and LB.

Should we set up a poll? Will wagering be available?

Nice, Gnam.:thumbup:

Chaos
05-15-08, 09:14 PM
If Toronto Tourism and The Ex give money, I understand. I am, however, annoyed that my gov't is throwing in money. I would love to see this impact study that invented this $50 million.

I think this would not nearly bother as much if Andretti of McLaren infamy was not involved.

Dirk Diggler
05-15-08, 09:17 PM
I think this would not nearly bother as much if Andretti of McLaren infamy was not involved.

They asked him to move to Toronto, but he said that he would just fly in at the last minute.

TravelGal
05-15-08, 09:49 PM
Mt. Tremblant next? :tony:

I hope so. I just got an email about the resort there offering 15% commission to travel agents to book rooms. :eek:

Seriously, the rest of Gnam's post was spot on but too eery for me to repeat. It makes the folks who bought "champ car forever" tee shirts to be the true prognosticators, even though they thought they were doing it just to cheese off Tony.

G.
05-15-08, 09:55 PM
Seriously, the rest of Gnam's post was spot on but too eery for me to repeat. It makes the folks who bought "champ car forever" tee shirts to be the true prognosticators, even though they thought they were doing it just to cheese off Tony.I seem to recall that just about EVERYBODY on oc knew that FTG would do this.

All about control.

Spicoli
05-15-08, 09:58 PM
trubble is, nobody even cares.

place fans.

thanks tony. go eat a dick.:thumdown:

NismoZ
05-15-08, 10:31 PM
Road America? Turbos? A new Panoz, Swift or something? I'd care. ReCartification with an update? I'd rather lead a POSSIBLE positive change than hop on board later when everyone else is saying what a wonderful thing is happening. It didn't go to hell all at once and I'm hoping it doesn't take another 8 years to get back to 2000!:) Best drivers, best tracks, best diverse schedule and GET the best/better cars to make it all work for a TRUE driver's championship. EASY!:D

OW
05-15-08, 11:32 PM
Its happening.........!!!! :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
05-16-08, 12:04 AM
Looks like AGR is doing their part to "re-cartify" open wheel racing. :thumbup:

So did TG really win the war.

The CART owners control more of the schedule than TG does. Meanwhile, they took the Honda, Toyota and Tony bucks. They got the IPO money, TG payed to take them back. He needs them more now than ever. What kind of conversation do you think Mickey had with Tony to ensure his street race would be on the schedule before he ponied up the money? Of course they weren't hugely better at running the sport than TG, but they did know something about racing outside of an oval in May.

Seriously. If we can get a decent spec and manufacturer interest it might almost be a little interesting again.

chop456
05-16-08, 07:01 AM

All part of the starched earth policy. :tony:

Anyone ever see Paths of Glory? :shakehead

JT265
05-16-08, 08:07 AM
They asked him to move to Toronto, but he said that he would just fly in at the last minute.

Brilliant! :rofl::thumbup:

cheesewhiz
05-16-08, 08:41 AM
They could run all of the coolest tracks in the world but until they get rid of the farting bees I ain't buyin'!

Wheel-Nut
05-16-08, 09:27 AM

Penske, Ganassi and AGR were inside "the horse." :laugh:

TedN
05-16-08, 10:01 AM
Surprisingly upbeat commentary by local columnist.

Auto racing, to these eyes and (failing) ears is an indulgence worth its price. It's a handful of noisy, smelly hours one weekend a year. If you don't get the point, that's understandable. But if you haven't stood on the lakeshore and watched the landbound jets wail their beautiful tunes north of 300 clicks, you're not qualified to make the judgment.

Racing is life and it's sometimes death. It's beautiful and, if it means unemployed local leadfoot Paul Tracy will be at the wheel again, potentially ugly. It's art and it's science, music and sport, dumb muscle and pinpoint skill. And if it's back for its usual weekend in the unbreatheable heat, this city's a better place by at least a smidgeon.

Full Column (http://wheels.ca/reviews/article/245509)

Ted

Corner5
05-16-08, 10:22 AM
If Toronto Tourism and The Ex give money, I understand. I am, however, annoyed that my gov't is throwing in money. I would love to see this impact study that invented this $50 million.

Here's the breakdown-

Sun Media has learned that the province kicked in $1 million of that, Tourism Toronto $500,000 and the City of Toronto another $500,000 to make the race a viable entity for Andretti and his partners Kim Green and Dennis Savoree.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/2008/05/15/5579331.html

The Irl's think street racing and government subsidies are great ...now.

San jose got gomered.

pchall
05-16-08, 11:19 AM
I knew it! Mikey the Lesser gets TO on OPM. FMA.

Here's the breakdown-
http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/2008/05/15/5579331.html

San jose got gomered.

Chaos
05-16-08, 11:30 AM

The irony has not escaped me. Where is the outrage?

Chief
05-16-08, 01:22 PM
AGR into Toronto? Not sure where this nugget of symbolism falls....is this akin to the FALL of the BERLIN WALL or is this like RUSSIAN tanks roaring into POLAND, CZECHLOSLOVAKIA erecting the IRON CURTAIN?:confused::yuck:

NismoZ
05-16-08, 04:36 PM
One fan's outrage is another fan's vindication! Which are you?:) Difficult to be outraged at something we knew to be true all along. My guess is the REALLY pissed off people are "over there" somewhere. Just keep it moving. Tracks, drivers, CARS (incl. Atlantics). Be patient. C'mon, :tony:'s in charge...what could go wrong!?:rofl:

TravelGal
05-16-08, 04:50 PM
I seem to recall that just about EVERYBODY on oc knew that FTG would do this.

All about control.

Knew? Or thought?

FTG did this or Mikey finally got his way? Since you KNOW because you must be one of the EVERYBODY and I am not, please explain. Thank you.

Insomniac
05-16-08, 07:55 PM
Knew? Or thought?

FTG did this or Mikey finally got his way? Since you KNOW because you must be one of the EVERYBODY and I am not, please explain. Thank you.

Did you expect TG to keep to the original vision? :gomer:

TravelGal
05-16-08, 10:36 PM
Did you expect TG to keep to the original vision? :gomer:

:D Did you think he ever had a vision (maybe something came up out of the smoke somewhere) or that he kept to it more than a few months?

Nah, I was yanking G's chain, that's all.

Insomniac
05-17-08, 08:19 AM
:D Did you think he ever had a vision (maybe something came up out of the smoke somewhere) or that he kept to it more than a few months?

Nah, I was yanking G's chain, that's all.

Someone cobbled one together for him during the split. Maybe it was his, either way, his name was at the bottom. At least we're on the final version now... Although I thought I would watch, but I didn't. Seems either I need a spec change or I was right in saying I was just hanging on to the end because I was a fan for a long time.