PDA

View Full Version : Im buying a race helmet today...need help

JohnHKart
05-14-08, 01:26 PM
I got Impact's Super Sport a few weeks ago, but it's kind of heavy (3pds 11ounces). I'm not really an entry level, spend as little as possible guy anyway. So Im going to exchange it for a more expensive one. I can't decide if I want the extra vents on the draft or get the vapor. Either one will work. What do you guys think:

draft

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/itemimages/draft.jpg

vapor

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/itemimages/vapor.jpg

Draft

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/item.wws?sku=19200608

Vapor

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/item.wws?sku=12000608

These are made of carbon kevlar tri weave...the Super Sport is heavier than I would like it to be...3 pds 11ounces.

I don't mind spending the extra money I like the features these more advanced models have.

thanks.

John

Sean O'Gorman
05-14-08, 02:49 PM
Are you sure you're asking this at the right site?

JohnHKart
05-14-08, 03:44 PM
I cant register on a karting site...am at work...Probably not.

JH

oddlycalm
05-14-08, 03:51 PM
I hear you on the lighter weight. CF/kevlar is the way to go if you can afford it.

This is 100% personal preferance and spefic to the car type so it's nearly impossible to offer anything relevant. Once you get beyond the basics for choosing a brand that gives you the best fit it's all down to application. People in open cars need to concern themselves with wind lift and in closed cars it's all about ventilation.

I'm not sure if the correct forum even exists for this. Even if you have a forum of people that all run the same car type everyone's head is shaped differently, some people wear glasses, etc. etc. You end up with stuff like "that one rocks" and other useless information.

oc

Easy
05-14-08, 04:25 PM
My advice, get an Arai GP-5 or 5K.

Its got less mass than most top line helmets and allows easier head movement which is nice in a kart.

cameraman
05-14-08, 06:19 PM
And it depends on where you live. If you are karting at Miller on the edge of the west desert you probably want the white ventilated one as it is often 100°F+ and sunny.

JohnHKart
05-14-08, 08:57 PM
Ok winner is the Draft. This is my first ever helmet, I didn't do it enough to justify it before. It is quite a bit lighter than the Super Sport I initially got. I checked out the pure carbon fiber ones and they werent as light as I thought they would be. Thanks for the input. Yeah you're right about other forums I checked out a Karting forum and it wasnt much help.

John

Sean Malone
05-14-08, 09:16 PM
I have four motorcycle helmets. I don't know how they differ from professional auto racing helmets, but I have 2 plastic (Polycarbonate Composite) and 2 fiberglass/kevlar weave helmets and I can't tell the difference. It really comes down to the different manufactures liners and vents and anti-fog visors. You get what you pay for in helmets.

oddlycalm
05-15-08, 04:31 PM
This is my first ever helmet OK, big red flag. You need the How Do I Chose 101 procedure.

First, you gotta go to a place where you can try them all on. It's mandatory the fit is correct. Too loose and it won't protect your head, too tight and it will be unbearable to wear.

Also, different make helmets fit differently. You need to try each one and keep the finalists on for at least 5 minutes or you won't be able to feel if there are pressure points. Obviously this is less important for short sessions than for endurance racing, but don't expect the helmet to "break in." What will break in is your head it it'll be uncomfortable as hell.

I'd try the Arai, Impact, Simpson, Bell etc. and see which one you like. That's why specific recommendations are of no value, everyone has a different shape head.

You are exposed in a kart, but the speeds aren't huge, so helmet lift shouldn't be a major problem, but it's still a consideration. I've tried helmets that tried to suck your head off your shoulders at anything over 50mph and by 100mph there were unbearable, even for a couple minutes. Don't buy one of those.

The rule on ventilation is that too much is never enough.

The final rule is don't drop it on a hard surface. If you don't it's ruined. It may look fine but it won't protect your head.

Wear a helmet liner. One season of sweat is enough to compromise the rigid foam protection layer. Helmets are not lifetime investments. If you wear it a lot you need to buy a new one periodically.

Most of these guidelines are published by the various safety foundations, and are taught in MSF classes, but they are well kept secrets outside of that.

oc

Sean Malone
05-15-08, 04:53 PM
Good tips OC and I just want to reiterate a few points you make;

If you drop your helmet on the hard ground the helmet is shot. The integrity is compromised. I handle my helmets like they are eggs.

My helmets have removable pads and are machine washable. A nice way to get rid of the funk.

Your helmet should feel comfortable (and of course fit correctly) as soon as you put it on. I do have one that squeezes my right ear and makes it hurt like when you have cheap headphones on for too long, but it doesn't do that for at least 30 minutes.

Then you'll need a leather onezy. :)

JohnHKart
06-12-08, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all the tips...This was a lot of effort and research, I've finally got my helmet a couple of weeks ago. The Impact Draft is very comfortable, I've done one test session last week and two races this week. This Tuesday is our marathon race, I will be in the Kart for about 30 minutes non stop. Thank god I don't have to wear their scummy ripped up scratched visor helmets anymore. You get what you pay for, it's so much lighter and better than the entry level one I upgraded from.

John

Methanolandbrats
06-12-08, 07:44 PM
FWIW I have always bought Simpson Voyager Helmets, I like the HUGE eyeport.