PDA

View Full Version : Dish - VOOM = ripoff

Spicoli
05-14-08, 07:34 AM
Overnight, with no warning, they take away all the VOOM channels so we can get Disney and ESPN news in HD.

Customer service ? :lol:

DBS Drops 10 HD Nets And Plans To Jettison Another Five In Near Future
By Linda Moss -- Multichannel News, 5/13/2008 3:05:00 PM
In the midst of ongoing litigation, Dish Network has dropped 10 of the 15 Rainbow Media Voom HD networks and plans to dump the rest, officials said Tuesday.

The satellite provider overnight took down much of the Voom HD suite, some 10 services, according to Multichannel News blogger Scott Greczkowski, who runs the Web site www.satelliteguys.us and first reported the drops.

During a first-quarter earnings call Tuesday, Dish Network chairman Charlie Ergen said he’ll be dropping the other five Voom networks, as well.

Dish Network believes Voom is in breach of their carriage deal, Ergen told analysts, confirming that it’s already dropped two-thirds of the Voom services.

Dish Network “will be taking down the rest as soon as we can,” according to Ergen.

“We believe we can replace those channels with other channels that have more value for our customers,” he said.

Dish Network deleted HDNews, UltraHD, TreasuresHD, WorldSport HD, Voom’s HD Movies channel, Filmfest HD, Gameplay HD, Rush HD, Animania HD and Family Room HD.

In response to Dish Network’s deletions, a Rainbow spokesman said, “EchoStar's decision to drop the Voom channels is unjustified and, we believe, is a violation of our distribution agreement. We are intent on enforcing our legal rights in court. Because the litigation is ongoing, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time."

On the call, Ergen said the Voom HD drops will make way for Dish Network to add the more popular HD networks it is bringing to its roster this week, including Disney HD, Sci Fi HD, CNN HD and Bravo HD.

Those HD networks will help make Dish Network more competitive with DirecTV’s HD offering, according to Ergen.

“I think arguably people would say 15 Voom channels probably weren’t as impressive as Disney or Sci Fi or Bravo or CNBC or CNN or TBS or TNT, those kind of channels that we now have up (in HD),” he said.

:thumdown:

http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6560688&desc=topstory

cameraman
05-14-08, 01:00 PM
:flame::flame:

The stupid sob's dropped RaveHD

I get about a billion channels, I watch about four.

One of those four was RaveHD

:flame:

chop456
05-14-08, 01:27 PM
The stupid sob's dropped RaveHD

I get about a billion channels, I watch about four.

One of those four was RaveHD

Ditto. :thumdown:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14218&highlight=basement

Insomniac
05-14-08, 02:25 PM
Just saw they dropped the remaining 5.

Sean O'Gorman
05-14-08, 02:46 PM
:crickets:

Spicoli
05-14-08, 02:54 PM
here's a geek forum discussing it, fwiw....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/135146-voom-goes-boom-update-dish-drops-all-15-voom-channels-31.html

yep, rave was a cool channel, thanks Utard for turning me on to it. RUSH was great as well. Also kinda liked Ultra. or at least the babes on the catwalk.:D

Spicoli
05-14-08, 03:07 PM
:crickets:

Dang. :D

Spicoli
05-14-08, 03:57 PM
Supposedly - CableVision still has VOOM. Strange reading that Charlie owns 20% of VOOM, yet still takes it off of DISH??? :confused:

spambot says:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your e-mail. Effective immediately the VOOM HD line-up can no longer be viewed by our customers. DISH Network continues to be the leader in providing the best movies, sports and entertainment in High Definition. In order to provide you with top quality entertainment, DISH Network continually evaluates and at times, makes changes to our channel line-up. We plan to use this opportunity to introduce exciting new HD channels offering a breadth and depth of programming that better complements our already robust HD offerings.

:dicks:

morgahorse
05-14-08, 11:50 PM
I have no complaints with my Directv.

cameraman
05-15-08, 03:30 AM
I have no complaints with my Directv.

Therefore you never had the Voom HD channels to begin with.

indyfan31
05-15-08, 09:13 AM
Well, someone enlighten me. What the hell are the Voom channels and why do I need another reason not to get my ass off the couch?

chop456
05-15-08, 12:01 PM
VOOM is a company that owns/produces a package of HD channels. They supplied to Dish Network but not any more.

I forgot about Equator HD. I'll miss that one, too. :thumdown:

dando
05-15-08, 12:14 PM
Well, someone enlighten me. What the hell are the Voom channels and why do I need another reason not to get my ass off the couch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voom

I gots me a VOOM STB for OTA HD.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
05-15-08, 02:17 PM
So what exactly was on VOOM that is such a big deal? It just sounds like a bunch of different versions of HD Theater.

Spicoli
05-15-08, 02:21 PM

Cameraman/Utard tolded me aboot VOOM last fall. It is the reason I went with DISH over Directv. Once you seened it, there was nothing like it. From what i could tell, programming was head and shoulders above anything else on TV. RUSH, Rave, and accourse the models/fashion channel Ultra, among my favorites.

Kinda like Turbo Lola vs. CoT. :\

Sean Malone
05-15-08, 02:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voom

I gots me a VOOM STB for OTA HD.

-Kevin

They have pills for that now. No more icky needles!!!

Sean Malone
05-15-08, 02:30 PM
Cameraman/Utard tolded me aboot VOOM last fall. It is the reason I went with DISH over Directv. Once you seened it, there was nothing like it. From what i could tell, programming was head and shoulders above anything else on TV. RUSH, Rave, and accourse the models/fashion channel Ultra, among my favorites.

Kinda like Turbo Lola vs. CoT. :\

Or ALMS vs Grand Am?

cameraman
05-15-08, 02:33 PM
More like F1 vs Indylites

Spicoli
05-15-08, 10:14 PM
More like F1 vs Indylites

Yep. We is surrounded by Paffies. :gomer:

Sean Malone
05-15-08, 10:21 PM
Yep. We is surrounded by Paffies. :gomer:

Wadja post on smacked this time!?!:irked:

G.
05-15-08, 11:08 PM
Wadja post on smacked this time!?!:irked:I think Cam broke the interweb.

Oztard! ;)

:love:

Spicoli
05-16-08, 11:56 AM
I think Cam broke the interweb.

Oztard! ;)

:love:

not Cam see psa.

oddlycalm
05-16-08, 12:16 PM
Quality is a hard sell in the mainstream markets, whether it's racing, audio or HD channels. Lowest common denominator is where the peak profits lie so we are constantly in a race to the bottom. :thumdown:

oc

cameraman
05-16-08, 01:10 PM
Lowest common denominator is where the peak profits lie so we are constantly in a race to the bottom. :thumdown:

oc

No ****. I'm having some wiring installed in my house which is plaster on solid brick construction. You would think that I could get a three gang device box locally. You would be wrong. It has to be special ordered from the manufacturer and should arrive hopefully before I die of old age:irked:

Spicoli
05-16-08, 01:15 PM
No ****. I'm having some wiring installed in my house which is plaster on solid brick construction. You would think that I could get a three gang device box locally. You would be wrong. It has to be special ordered from the manufacturer and should arrive hopefully before I die of old age:irked:

Welcome to remodelling hate. :wave:

cameraman
05-16-08, 01:20 PM
Welcome to remodelling hate. :wave:

Yeah well I'm supposed to be at the damn ALMS race right now. So what am I doing? Riding herd on a bunch of behind schedule electricians, mudders and an insulation removal crew.

Spicoli
05-16-08, 01:22 PM
Yeah well I'm supposed to be at the damn ALMS race right now. So what am I doing? Riding herd on a bunch of behind schedule electricians, mudders and an insulation removal crew.

screww em. kick them out, lock the door, and "C Ya Monday".

cameraman
05-16-08, 01:30 PM
screww em. kick them out, lock the door, and "C Ya Monday".

After what it took to get them here? Oh hell no. I've got eight different subs working on this little adventure in reconstruction and if they work today and I work tomorrow & Sunday:flame: the whole process will get back on schedule and they will all be done by the end of next week:thumbup:.

nrc
05-16-08, 01:32 PM
After what it took to get them here? Oh hell no. I've got eight different subs working on this little adventure in reconstruction and if they work today and I work tomorrow & Sunday:flame: the whole process will get back on schedule and they will all be done by the end of next week:thumbup:.

Meanwhile I'm wondering why if times are so hard, nobody has returned my calls about replacing 400 feet of fence.

cameraman
05-16-08, 01:38 PM
Meanwhile I'm wondering why if times are so hard, nobody has returned my calls about replacing 400 feet of fence.

Make sure you are sitting down when you get the bid. Six foot cedar privacy fencing (the very good stuff, built on site to fit the lay of the land) runs $30- a foot.

nrc
05-16-08, 02:20 PM
Make sure you are sitting down when you get the bid. Six foot cedar privacy fencing (the very good stuff, built on site to fit the lay of the land) runs $30- a foot.

Ouch. Well, fortunately it won't be privacy fence which should help. What's there now is four foot split rail style (3 rail) with wire mesh backing. I'm open to suggestions on style as long as it looks open and natural (ie, no vinyl) and keeps the dogs in.

Meanwhile back on the topic - maybe Charlie is cutting costs because he'll soon either be writing TiVo a big check or shutting off most of his DVRs. link (http://online.barrons.com/article/SB121081057432193629.html?mod=googlenews_barrons)

cameraman
05-16-08, 02:39 PM
Not really. During the court battle, which Dish knew they would lose going in, Dish developed a new version of the software that skirts the patent issue. At least that is what they are claiming.

As expected, DISH Network expressed its frustration with the ruling, but said that it would ultimately have no effect on its customers due the development of a workaround. "We are disappointed that the Federal Circuit did not grant our petition for rehearing. The decision, however, will have no effect on our current or future customers because EchoStar's engineers have developed and deployed 'next-generation' DVR software to our customers' DVRs," an DISH Network spokesperson said.

RusH
05-16-08, 02:41 PM
He can`t physically shut down my 508....:thumbup:

KLang
05-16-08, 02:54 PM
Not really. During the court battle, which Dish knew they would lose going in, Dish developed a new version of the software that skirts the patent issue. At least that is what they are claiming.

Plus, the current HD models aren't mentioned in the suit as they didn't exist back then.

Spicoli
05-16-08, 03:15 PM
Ouch. Well, fortunately it won't be privacy fence which should help. What's there now is four foot split rail style (3 rail) with wire mesh backing. I'm open to suggestions on style as long as it looks open and natural (ie, no vinyl) and keeps the dogs in.

Meanwhile back on the topic - maybe Charlie is cutting costs because he'll soon either be writing TiVo a big check or shutting off most of his DVRs. link (http://online.barrons.com/article/SB121081057432193629.html?mod=googlenews_barrons)

BOT back off topic: Fences

Richard - split rail is super easy to put in. All ya need is the parts (available at most lowes, Menards , etc) a post hole digger (rent one if you are doing that much - 400' ) and a few sacks of QuickRete. Then just roll out the chicky wire, staple in. Then its beer time.

No, you can/should do this with beer in hand.

edit - should prolly be the cheapest too.

I just priced out cedar a couple days ago, and jeeebus that stuff got pricey quick.

nrc
05-16-08, 04:41 PM

That's what they say. What the Barron's story says (sorry, it's not registration required from Google News) is that their patent lawyers believe that the "workaround" will not free Dish from the injunction. It was a permanent injunction, which means "until you sort it out with TiVo" not "until you think you have a work around".

There's no more reason to trust Dish's view of what infringes now than there ever was. They maintained that weren't infringing to the end. Add to that the fact that there are still outstanding claims against the physical hardware and it seems likely that the judge will not continue to stay the injunction if TiVo does not agree that the work-around is non-infringing.

The affected DVRs are still a substantial portion of the inventory Dish has in the field and the injunction is open ended to include models that are only slightly different than the named models.

nrc
05-16-08, 04:45 PM
Richard - split rail is super easy to put in. All ya need is the parts (available at most lowes, Menards , etc) a post hole digger (rent one if you are doing that much - 400' ) and a few sacks of QuickRete. Then just roll out the chicky wire, staple in. Then its beer time.

I've thought about it. But aside from the PITA of digging out the existing rotted off posts and replacing two gates, there are a dozen other projects I'd like to work on around the yard. So the fence project seemed like a good candidate for "outsourcing" to a professional.

Evidently they're all taking advantage of the beer time instead of returning calls. :irked:

cameraman
05-16-08, 05:08 PM
Evidently they're all taking advantage of the beer time instead of returning calls. :irked:
The fencing guys around here worked on a 48-72 hour message to return call system:rolleyes: Those that ever returned the call that is.

oddlycalm
05-17-08, 03:16 PM
After what it took to get them here? Oh hell no. I've got eight different subs working on this little adventure in reconstruction and if they work today and I work tomorrow & Sunday:flame: Just keep reminding yourself that it's not worth doing hard time. :\

oc