PDA

View Full Version : Mazda GP of Portland

Dirk Diggler
05-13-08, 01:54 AM
Ok, big points to Mazda and PIR for making the best of a bad situation.:thumbup:

Star Mazda doubleheader, Playboy (with Playmates!) MX-5, VW Jetta TDI Cup, Drag Racing, Motorcycle Racing, Time Attacks, Spec Miata, Formula Drift. Something for everyone - for fifteen bucks!:thumbup:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=121037495791236700

cameraman
05-13-08, 01:56 AM
Too bad they didn't get the Atlantics

opinionated ow
05-13-08, 02:25 AM
good on them. i hope the ICS can get there next season...

chop456
05-13-08, 02:44 AM

What do you have against Portland?

opinionated ow
05-13-08, 03:03 AM
What do you have against Portland?

if you are being funny i get ya. but i just love portland's track, crapwagons or otherwise

cameraman
05-13-08, 04:14 PM
good on them. i hope the Atlantics can get there next season...

Fixed it for you. They would be as fast as the ICS sleds anyway.

pchall
05-13-08, 04:31 PM
So, how would the IRL reconfigure Portland to avoid direct comparisons to previous times? Add a chicane some place for safety considerations? I'd like to see them skip the Festival complex... ;)

if you are being funny i get ya. but i just love portland's track, crapwagons or otherwise

Dirk Diggler
05-13-08, 04:43 PM
So, how would the IRL reconfigure Portland to avoid direct comparisons to previous times?

That's been sorted - there was complete repaving last fall, in addition to some significant changes to turn 7.:cool:

Dirk Diggler
05-13-08, 04:47 PM
I'd like to see them skip the Festival complex... ;)

I heard that that bikes are skipping the chicane. 180mph into turn 1!:eek::thumbup:

oddlycalm
05-13-08, 06:30 PM
I heard that that bikes are skipping the chicane. 180mph into turn 1!:eek::thumbup: Cool. That's a long enough straight to top out most anything. Good pucker factor into 1. :thumbup:

oc

NismoZ
05-14-08, 02:26 PM
Anyone remember T-1 at Brainerd? Is there a faster US road course turn anywhere?

miatanut
05-14-08, 09:24 PM

I hope they don't! That would be the end of my trips to Portland for professional racing.

It would be nice if ALMS would give it another shot with a proper promoter.

Dirk Diggler
05-16-08, 03:09 AM
Word from the track today...

Sit down...

They've added an extension of the Oregon Brewers Festival!:eek:

A big ass tent on the edge of the track at turn 12 (where Red Bull was last year) full of microbrews with cars and bikes ripping past!:thumbup:

Still only fifteen bucks. Sweet!

aportinga
05-16-08, 10:55 AM

I hope Larry Flint buys up all the DP01's and starts a proper RR series with Portland and Atlantics in tow.

Ankf00
05-16-08, 03:44 PM

Sit down...

A big ass tent on the edge of the track at turn 12 (where Red Bull was last year) full of microbrews with cars and bikes ripping past!:thumbup:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/seawyatt/Borat.jpg

wawawewa! great success!

extramundane
05-16-08, 03:51 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/seawyatt/Borat.jpg

wawawewa! great success!

See #7 here: http://www.holytaco.com/2008/05/14/10-items-you-think-make-you-cool-but-dont/

Ankf00
05-16-08, 04:44 PM
tech support getting snippy.

extramundane
05-16-08, 04:52 PM
tech support getting snippy.

Hmmph. See if I ever give you rich tramp advice again.

Ankf00
05-16-08, 05:06 PM
whoooooaaaa, hey there, let's not go overboard here. I apologise for my poor form earlier. :D

extramundane
05-16-08, 06:50 PM
whoooooaaaa, hey there, let's not go overboard here. I apologise for my poor form earlier. :D

That's what I thought, youngster. :rofl:

miatanut
05-18-08, 04:25 PM

Sit down...

I like the direction this is going! Now that Global is out of the picture, we can have something other than a Bud at the home of the microbrew movement. Being a beer snob, I've had a Moose Drool (Montana) and a Red Hook Long Hammer (Seattle) at past events, but each of those only had one or two taps in the whole place. It was always a crime some of the great local stuff was never available.
:thumbup:

Dirk Diggler
06-13-08, 02:17 PM
Website is up!:thumbup:

www.mazdagrandprix.com

oddlycalm
06-14-08, 02:11 PM

Sit down...

Shaping up to be a fun summer event. :thumbup:

oc

stroker
06-14-08, 05:03 PM
Anyone remember T-1 at Brainerd? Is there a faster US road course turn anywhere?

Yah. About 25 years ago I was going through there flat out on my Yamaha 750 and some guy blew past me about 40mph faster on his GpZ1100. THAT got my attention.

the only other corner I can think of might be the Kink at Road America.

racermike
06-18-08, 03:26 PM
I like the direction this is going! Now that Global is out of the picture, we can have something other than a Bud at the home of the microbrew movement. Being a beer snob, I've had a Moose Drool (Montana) and a Red Hook Long Hammer (Seattle) at past events, but each of those only had one or two taps in the whole place. It was always a crime some of the great local stuff was never available.
:thumbup:

Global had a booth set up at the Rose Cup Races a few weeks ago, hawking all their Champcar memorabilia. Guess trying to salvage whatever money they can get for their leftover promo stuff.

miatanut
06-18-08, 08:10 PM
Global had a booth set up at the Rose Cup Races a few weeks ago, hawking all their Champcar memorabilia. Guess trying to salvage whatever money they can get for their leftover promo stuff.

I hope ALMS comes back and they work with somebody else. Seems like the track is doing a halfway decent job promoting this event all by themselves.

Dirk Diggler
06-19-08, 03:18 AM
Nice cross promotion.:thumbup:

http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

Dirk Diggler
06-20-08, 02:26 AM
Check this out...:laugh::thumbup:

http://www.mazdagrandprix.com/gear.php

oddlycalm
06-20-08, 04:04 PM
Nice, I particularly like the "Testosterone, Gasoline, Beer' version. :thumbup:

oc

Dirk Diggler
07-18-08, 12:58 PM
Bump:cool:

www.mazdagrandprix.com

Anteater
07-19-08, 09:33 PM
Nice, I particularly like the "Testosterone, Gasoline, Beer' version. :thumbup:

oc

Not exactly catering to the female racefan with those posters. ;) It looks like a fun event, anyway (if you're into microbrews and racing)!

Michaelhatesfans
07-30-08, 10:37 PM
Hey Racermike, was that you at turn 12?

racermike
07-30-08, 11:15 PM
Hey Racermike, was that you at turn 12?

Nope .. didnt make it up for the weekend

I have to drive up there next week, to fly to NY, and coudnt afford the gas to make 2 RT's up there in 2 weeks. (All of a sudden, winning tickets to see the Police final show in NY, became a higher priority).

You busy next Tues/Weds? Meet for beer at Lucky Lab or something close in?

Michaelhatesfans
07-31-08, 03:00 AM
Nope .. didnt make it up for the weekend

I have to drive up there next week, to fly to NY, and coudnt afford the gas to make 2 RT's up there in 2 weeks. (All of a sudden, winning tickets to see the Police final show in NY, became a higher priority).

You busy next Tues/Weds? Meet for beer at Lucky Lab or something close in?

I only saw the corner from a distance. By the time you guys get the overalls on and the Foreign Legion hats going it's hard to tell who's who!

The racing was awesome, by the way - even without Danica!:cool: Star Mazda rocks, the MX-5 Cup cars are fun to watch, the VW cars spent more time on two wheels than at a Joey Chitwood show, and there's nothing quite like watching 40 Spec Miatas arriving at turn one...:thumbup:

Yeah, next week could be good - I'll pm you my contact details.

miatanut
07-31-08, 10:55 PM
...and there's nothing quite like watching 40 Spec Miatas arriving at turn one...:thumbup:

I wanted to come down too but had to play catch-up at work. :(

You're absolutely right. For me, Spec Miata is the most fun racing out there today. It's kind of like the total chaos of puppies playing, and they can bump into each other or even a tire wall and re-join the fun.