PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack 3

TravelGal
05-08-08, 01:38 PM
I've looked and cannot find this discussed. Forgive me if it is old news but I just got the dreaded "update is ready for your computer" about Service Pack 3 for my XP Home.

Any cautions about installing this?

dando
05-08-08, 01:46 PM
From what I've read on the release notes a month or so ago, it's primarily a release IT admins. There are a few networking changes that caused some issues for our ISP customers during beta, but we're also dealing with an ancient dialer client. :( Anyway, it should be pretty benign for most peeps, and far less intrusive than SP 2.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
05-08-08, 01:52 PM
30 minute install. M$ recommends you back up your pron, I mean your valuables.

Installed fine for me. No issues so far.

FTG
05-08-08, 02:00 PM
Windows XP SP3 Sows Havoc, Users Complain

The problems with XP SP3 range from spontaneous reboots to outright system crashes. (http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207600950)

Sean Malone
05-08-08, 02:23 PM

The problems with XP SP3 range from spontaneous reboots to outright system crashes. (http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207600950)

It doesn't say if those that have problems with SP3 did or did not follow the installation instructions. Willing to bet...'not'.

TravelGal
05-08-08, 02:25 PM

"Windows XP SP3 also includes improved "black hole" router detection -- a feature that automatically detects routers that are silently discarding packets. In XP SP3, the feature is turned on by default, according to Microsoft."

What is "silently discarding packets"? Ditching your email attachments or ??

"Some users may balk at a feature in XP SP3 that prevents them from downgrading their browser from Internet Explorer 7 to the older IE 6 once the service pack has been installed. XP SP3 also won't install on systems running beta versions of the yet-to-be released IE 8.

Does this mean it installs IE 7 for you? I've kept 6, although I rarely use even that.

"Microsoft said the restrictions are designed to prevent system instabilities." :rofl::rofl:

I'll wait a while then. If anyone between Ketchican and the Kalahari is having trouble, I wait.

I even know someone who has yet still to install Service Pack TWO on her computer.

edit: Good point Sean but I'll still wait.

Sean Malone
05-08-08, 02:39 PM
"Windows XP SP3 also includes improved "black hole" router detection -- a feature that automatically detects routers that are silently discarding packets. In XP SP3, the feature is turned on by default, according to Microsoft."

What is "silently discarding packets"? Ditching your email attachments or ??

"Some users may balk at a feature in XP SP3 that prevents them from downgrading their browser from Internet Explorer 7 to the older IE 6 once the service pack has been installed. XP SP3 also won't install on systems running beta versions of the yet-to-be released IE 8.

Does this mean it installs IE 7 for you? I've kept 6, although I rarely use even that.

"Microsoft said the restrictions are designed to prevent system instabilities." :rofl::rofl:

I'll wait a while then. If anyone between Ketchican and the Kalahari is having trouble, I wait.

I even know someone who has yet still to install Service Pack TWO on her computer.

edit: Good point Sean but I'll still wait.

SP3 sets a restore point so you can roll back if you have any issues (unless it won't let you boot up).

Just do it. :D

Insomniac
05-08-08, 02:43 PM

SP3 does not install IE7. It will install IE6 or IE7 updates depending on the version you have installed.

If you have IE7 and install SP3, you can't downgrade to IE6 unless you uninstall SP3.

dando
05-08-08, 02:49 PM
It doesn't say if those that have problems with SP3 did or did not follow the installation instructions. Willing to bet...'not'.

Yup. "Hundreds" when you have an installed base of million$ is a fairly small sample. I always wait to install these updates unless there's something critical involved.

The IE update was something new I did not see previously. Interesting.

-Kevin

TravelGal
07-23-08, 10:03 AM
Any updates on this? I mean besides everyone who already told me to install it? LOL.

extramundane
07-23-08, 10:15 AM
Any updates on this? I mean besides everyone who already told me to install it? LOL.

~350 PCs later, no problems here.

Well, no problems that weren't inherent to Windows in the first place, anyway.

dando
07-23-08, 10:15 AM

I still haven't installed it. :gomer: I haven't read or heard about any horror stories recently.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
07-23-08, 10:41 AM
I'm still running SP2 on the four computers on my network. They talk to each other and never crash. What is the point of SP3, does it do anything useful?

SteveH
07-23-08, 11:14 AM

No issues on my company laptop or home PC. Installed SP3 on each about a month ago maybe. Was a lengthy process but it went fine. And can't tell much difference on either one afterwards.

extramundane
07-23-08, 11:28 AM
I'm still running SP2 on the four computers on my network. They talk to each other and never crash. What is the point of SP3, does it do anything useful?

It compiled a metric shitton of hotfixes and added 3 or 4 "reliability" and "security" features. Fairly useful for us, probably not nearly as much so for most people.

dando
07-23-08, 11:45 AM
It compiled a metric shitton of hotfixes and added 3 or 4 "reliability" and "security" features. Fairly useful for us, probably not nearly as much so for most people.

You ain't kiddin':

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/

:eek:

Lots of IT Nazi goodness. :gomer:

-Kevin

cameraman
07-23-08, 01:02 PM
XP Pro SP3 runs just fine on my MacBook Pro either running via Parallels or booting through Bootcamp.

dando
07-23-08, 01:23 PM
XP Pro SP3 runs just fine on my MacBook Pro

Dude. :saywhat: ;)

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
07-23-08, 01:28 PM
I installed it and all is well, seems like things are a tad quicker, but I also installed a bunch of driver updates and other stuff, so who knows.

extramundane
07-23-08, 02:19 PM
You ain't kiddin':

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/

:eek:

Lots of IT Nazi goodness. :gomer:

-Kevin

We prefer to think of ourselves as Academic Technology Facists.

Insomniac
07-23-08, 03:58 PM
I wasn't even sure if I installed it. Had to check, I didn't. Still running SP2 on my XP machines.

dando
07-23-08, 04:12 PM
We prefer to think of ourselves as Buzzkillers.

Fixed dat for ya. ;)

-Kevin

ChampcarShark
09-04-08, 12:10 AM
Sorry to bring this up I finally was able to install SP3 on my last computer.

Two machines, 1 compaq presario, 1 HP Pavillion, SP3 no problem. One Compaq presario would not boot at all. It even flashes a green screen.

After booting in safe mode and deleting SP3 computer running like new.

Now you guys tell me what is the deal with a green screen. I am familiar with the blue screen of death, since I have a Toshiba laptop with an overheating problem.

Insomniac
09-04-08, 09:06 AM
I know nothing about a green screen, but I updated my work PC with SP3 and got an "access is denied" message and my only option was to uninstall it. After uninstalling it, it said I needed to restart the computer and warned me it was only partially uninstalled and windows may not work properly. Thanks! One more failed attempt and I finally found a KB article. Had to run some stuff at the command line, but it did install finally.

That command line stuff reset some security settings on folders and changed some settings on accounts. It essentially broke PostgreSQL and other services. :flame:

Was anyone's file sharing settings reset? I'm not sure if SP3 did it, or the command line stuff. I was reverted back to the simple file sharing.

dando
09-04-08, 10:39 AM

Two machines, 1 compaq presario, 1 HP Pavillion, SP3 no problem. One Compaq presario would not boot at all. It even flashes a green screen.

Now you guys tell me what is the deal with a green screen. I am familiar with the blue screen of death, since I have a Toshiba laptop with an overheating problem.

In my experience, the green screen occurs when a video driver or resolution issue occurs. I've seen that when I tried to switch to a resolution that was not supported by my card or driver. *shrugs* I didn't Google it, so you might try that.

-Kevin

TravelGal
09-04-08, 12:48 PM

I'm glad you brought it up again since I'm the one who asked in the first place and I keep getting prompts to install it.

BTW, my desktop is starting to have overheating problems also so I was amused to see the blue screen of death reference. I am getting that from time to time. I think it must be a fan going off. I'll try replacing it before doing any more major surgery (or replacing the computer). So far my trusty 4 1/2 year old, 30 gig hard drive laptop is running like a (you guessed it) top so it's a bother not to have the "better" one working properly but I can live with it for the time being.

ChampcarShark
09-04-08, 01:15 PM
I'm glad you brought it up again since I'm the one who asked in the first place and I keep getting prompts to install it.

BTW, my desktop is starting to have overheating problems also so I was amused to see the blue screen of death reference. I am getting that from time to time. I think it must be a fan going off. I'll try replacing it before doing any more major surgery (or replacing the computer). So far my trusty 4 1/2 year old, 30 gig hard drive laptop is running like a (you guessed it) top so it's a bother not to have the "better" one working properly but I can live with it for the time being.

Try hiding the update and make sure to select do not remind me again.
And yes, your overheating can be a fan going bad. It happened to a friend some time ago and replacing the fan solved the problem.

My Toshiba laptop had problems since day one, after two months sent it three times to to have it fixed and the Toshiba technicians said that it was a faulty hard drive and change it twice, or so they say.

I solved the problem with a cool pad, now I can use it for two hours instead of one, and to be even safer and use it a bit longer I run a fan close to it.

I rarely use it anymore since I have a brand new Compaq with win vista stripped down of games and any offer to install trial software.

Dando, I will try changing the resolution before reinstalling SP3. I did google it and looks like that is the problem, I also have a Diabloteck graphics card somewhere in the garage I can try installing instead of the one on the motherboard. My computer is about 4years old.

Thanks.

Good luck Travelgal.

Insomniac
09-04-08, 01:50 PM
And yes, your overheating can be a fan going bad. It happened to a friend some time ago and replacing the fan solved the problem.

I've been finding lately that a bunch of these heatsink/fan combos from OEMs use thermal pads and they just become completely ineffective over time.

Insomniac
09-04-08, 03:51 PM
It just installed fine on my personal laptop. I shouldn't feel lucky, but I do. :)

oddlycalm
09-04-08, 06:43 PM
I've been finding lately that a bunch of these heatsink/fan combos from OEMs use thermal pads and they just become completely ineffective over time.
Add to that the fact that the OEM fans are often noisy and it makes a good case for hanging a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink on there with a quiet 120mm Noctua fan and some Artic Silver II thermal grease. :thumbup:

Noctua, Panaflo or Nexis make great case fans for replacing failing dust-choked OEM fans.

oc

Insomniac
09-04-08, 09:30 PM
Add to that the fact that the OEM fans are often noisy and it makes a good case for hanging a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink on there with a quiet 120mm Noctua fan and some Artic Silver II thermal grease. :thumbup:

Noctua, Panaflo or Nexis make great case fans for replacing failing dust-choked OEM fans.

oc

Do you know if any standard fan designed for your CPU should fit in an OEM case? Mostly the mounting part. I know some OEMs do funny things.

(Like Dell has a different pin out for power supplies (or used to) so you had to buy a replacement power supply or motherboard from them. Otherwise, bye, bye motherboard.)

RusH
09-05-08, 10:32 PM
Can`t get it to stop trying to install Messenger at boot up every time after installing SP3.
What`s the registry fix?:mad:

oddlycalm
09-06-08, 12:38 AM
Do you know if any standard fan designed for your CPU should fit in an OEM case? Mostly the mounting part. I know some OEMs do funny things.

(Like Dell has a different pin out for power supplies (or used to) so you had to buy a replacement power supply or motherboard from them. Otherwise, bye, bye motherboard.)
That's true. With most builders the case fans fit but there can be those connector issues. Dell's aim is to force you to buy it from them. There can be clearance issues as well as connector issues with CPU coolers. It varies from company to company and even model to model. but usually you can open the case, put an eyeball on it and it will be obvious.

A lot of OEM's have gone to using the industry standard fan headers on the motherboard which save them 10 cents on connectors, and that helps us. And cooler mfg's have migrated to upright heat pipe designs to avoid clearance issues on the boards so they are gonna work for a lot of people.

Silent PC Review is a resource for everything silent though it's not the greatest website and hasn't always been kept current. There are some knowledgeable folks on the forum.
Silent PC (http://www.silentpcreview.com/)

The best way to make fan bearings last a long time is to keep the dust out of them. I've been using air filters for more than 10yrs and my fan mortality has dropped to zero. Washing out the air filter every month or two is a small price to pay. A bonus is that the filter helps in the quiet department.

oc

Edit: Another way to go is to lose the fans and lose the case. I got a Techstation (http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HSPC&Category_Code=Tech_Station) non-case a couple years back and I love it. It breathes naturally... kind of a nudist thing. :D

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/graphics/Stdv2_640w.jpg

cameraman
09-06-08, 07:03 AM
Umm, it still has a big ole fan bolted to the side of it:confused:

dando
09-06-08, 08:56 AM
Edit: Another way to go is to lose the fans and lose the case. I got a Techstation (http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HSPC&Category_Code=Tech_Station) non-case a couple years back and I love it. It breathes naturally... kind of a nudist thing. :D

Dude. :saywhat: :yuck: ;)

-Kevin

dando
09-06-08, 08:58 AM
Umm, it still has a big ole fan bolted to the side of it:confused:

Gotta keep the dust off, yo! :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-06-08, 12:23 PM
That's true. With most builders the case fans fit but there can be those connector issues. Dell's aim is to force you to buy it from them. There can be clearance issues as well as connector issues with CPU coolers. It varies from company to company and even model to model. but usually you can open the case, put an eyeball on it and it will be obvious.

A lot of OEM's have gone to using the industry standard fan headers on the motherboard which save them 10 cents on connectors, and that helps us. And cooler mfg's have migrated to upright heat pipe designs to avoid clearance issues on the boards so they are gonna work for a lot of people.

Silent PC Review is a resource for everything silent though it's not the greatest website and hasn't always been kept current. There are some knowledgeable folks on the forum.
Silent PC (http://www.silentpcreview.com/)

The best way to make fan bearings last a long time is to keep the dust out of them. I've been using air filters for more than 10yrs and my fan mortality has dropped to zero. Washing out the air filter every month or two is a small price to pay. A bonus is that the filter helps in the quiet department.

oc

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/graphics/Stdv2_640w.jpg

I'll have to take a look. I couldn't find any replacement fans on Dell's web site. Mine just seems louder on my work PC (Dimension 8300) than it did when I first got it. I'm assuming it's because of a thermal pad.

Nice idea, but I hate dust. Do you have to use compressed air to clean it often? Plus the noise!

ChampcarShark
09-12-08, 04:08 PM
Thanks to microsoft I have a lot of work unistalling SP on old machines, 2 years or more. Too bad most of them are close friends and am not charging for the repair.

I have noticed that any machine 2 or more years old will have problems with SP3. This applies to HP and Compaq as well.

At least I will enjoy a free lunch for the rest of the month.

extramundane
09-12-08, 04:23 PM
I have noticed that any machine 2 or more years old will have problems with SP3. This applies to HP and Compaq as well.

I wouldn't say that. We've got ~50 Dell boxes (3-5 yrs old) and 20 Toshiba tablets (2-3 years old) that aren't running any worse under SP3 than they were under SP2.

ChampcarShark
09-12-08, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't say that. We've got ~50 Dell boxes (3-5 yrs old) and 20 Toshiba tablets (2-3 years old) that aren't running any worse under SP3 than they were under SP2.

As far I have researched most problems with SP3 apply only to HP and compaq due to a OEM configuration with the AMD processor and graphics.

oddlycalm
09-12-08, 08:14 PM
I'll have to take a look. I couldn't find any replacement fans on Dell's web site. Mine just seems louder on my work PC (Dimension 8300) than it did when I first got it. I'm assuming it's because of a thermal pad.

Nice idea, but I hate dust. Do you have to use compressed air to clean it often? Plus the noise!
It may or may not be the thermal pad. No way to find out easily either. Does it use a fan header on the motherboard? If so, how many pins?

I have a real nice Lian-Li B25B alumium case that is aging nicely in the closet, but I got used to having the open platform where I can change stuff in a couple minutes and so far I've been too lazy to stuff it all into the case....:gomer:

Not a lot of dust in my environment but I blow it of with canned air every so often. You can hear the hard drives to some degree, but everything else is <22db @ 1 meter. Big slow turning 120mm fans on the power supply, end of the chassis and CPU cooler. The vid card has one of those radial coolers that exhausts out the backplane and it spins up to full speed at boot for 5 seconds and is silent after that regardless of load. I tried several DVD burners before ending up with a Samsung Lightscribe primary and a Plextor sesondary. The only audible clue the Samsung is running is faint low frequency whoosh.

oc

TravelGal
09-12-08, 08:18 PM

Talk about being damned by faint praise. :rofl:

oddlycalm
09-12-08, 08:24 PM
Dude. :saywhat: :yuck: ;)
What...:confused: You'ze guyz are always with the open platform talk so I figgered I'd get me an open platform of my own.........:gomer:

oc

extramundane
09-12-08, 09:35 PM
Talk about being damned by faint praise. :rofl:

I stopped hoping for "better" from Microsoft a long time ago. I'm just happy with "less bad" or "no worse" these days. :)

Insomniac
09-13-08, 03:36 PM
It may or may not be the thermal pad. No way to find out easily either. Does it use a fan header on the motherboard? If so, how many pins?

I'll take a look someday. I don't feel like turning my PC off and checking most of the time. :)

EDwardo
09-18-08, 08:59 PM
I just installed SP3 (after creating my own system restore point)

I did have one issue that no one here has mentioned.
After it installed and rebooted, I had a screen strongly encouraging me to turn on Automatic Updates (which I already had turned on) and with the other option to not turn them on. The only problem was that it wouldn't let me select either option with my mouse. (and it wouldn't complete the install without selecting one of the 2 options). After pondering this problem for a bit I remembered how I had gotten around a mouse issue several years ago with Windows 98. I used an arrow key until the Auto update option was checked. I had the same issue with the "next" button and got around it by hitting the "enter" key.

It all seems to be working now.

Insomniac
09-19-08, 10:26 AM
I just installed SP3 (after creating my own system restore point)

I did have one issue that no one here has mentioned.
After it installed and rebooted, I had a screen strongly encouraging me to turn on Automatic Updates (which I already had turned on) and with the other option to not turn them on. The only problem was that it wouldn't let me select either option with my mouse. (and it wouldn't complete the install without selecting one of the 2 options). After pondering this problem for a bit I remembered how I had gotten around a mouse issue several years ago with Windows 98. I used an arrow key until the Auto update option was checked. I had the same issue with the "next" button and got around it by hitting the "enter" key.

It all seems to be working now.

That probably came up because you didn't have auto-updates set to install automatically. Also, as a tip, when you see options that have one letter underlined, you can press ALT+the letter to select that option. IIRC, those options were like that, and maybe even the Next button.

ChampcarShark
09-22-08, 12:42 PM
Good News, I was able to install SP3 today.

Had to install a patch from HP. here is the linky. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01452495&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Then downloaded and installed SP3. The PC is Working fine and stopped asking me for updates every time I turned on the computer.

After downloading a few updates the SP3 download did not take long and was less than 50 MB.