PDA

View Full Version : Move on.....

Turn7
05-19-03, 03:30 PM
I know a lot of you grew up watching the I500 but, it is gone. It isn't there anymore. Move on and quit checking to see if it has returned.

There is a race on this Sunday and it will be nice to watch it under the lights.

No more missed Bar-B-Q's, no more days not being able to go to the lake, no more making sure you go or get back before noon on Sunday.

You are free to enjoy this Sunday anywhere outdoors and not have to worry about being close enough to a tv to see the "drama" unfold. Have fun, be careful and enjoy your weekend!

RaceGrrl
05-19-03, 03:51 PM
For many race fans, the Indy 500 was their first love. It's easy to say move on, but if Danica was your first love, and she turned into Sarah, wouldn't it depress you too? :p

Having said that, I agree with the rest of your post. The only race for me this weekend is the Champ Car race. Go Oriol!

FTG
05-19-03, 04:20 PM
I moved on in 96.

RacinM3
05-19-03, 04:41 PM
Or, come and watch us race at lime rock!!

pchall
05-19-03, 04:51 PM
How I would love to spend this coming weekend with champcars at Mid-Ohio...

I think I might be able to manage to hold on 'til August.

sundaydriver
05-19-03, 04:57 PM
I'll be mowing my lawn. :)

Railbird
05-19-03, 05:11 PM
Sorry racefans.

I'll be top row section 18 northeast vista as always.

Most of the top teams in American formula car racing will be there also.

Then it's on to Milwaukee for a night race that isn't held for jalopies.

Turn7
05-19-03, 05:27 PM
You still enjoy it though....

I was speaking generally to those that claim they don't. THe lack of participation in the discussion of the event will speak greater volumes of your displeasure than all the gripping that you could conjure up in 5 life times. With decreased ratings and empty seats, the message is being delivered to the people that matter the most, the sponsors.

People line up to advertise on shock jock shows because they know that people listen just to disagree. If they would just simple switch stations instead of calling in to disagree, the show would go off the air quicker. What I am trying to say is that in a time like this, bad press for IMS is better than no press at all.

Railbird
05-19-03, 05:55 PM
Indy is dying, trust me I know.

But, so is formula racing of all sorts in America. The Nascarnation is rolling openwheel back into the niche it occupied twenty years ago.

IMO there are two places to lay blame.

An American public that buys into pre-packaged trash like pro wrestling and plate races.

And

A naive young rich guy who rolled into Houston one day thinking he could write a check and become America's next racing czar.

Damn shame

RaceChic
05-19-03, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
For many race fans, the Indy 500 was their first love. It's easy to say move on, but if Danica was your first love, and she turned into Sarah, wouldn't it depress you too? :p

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cartmanoz
05-19-03, 08:06 PM
I've watched the past couple of IRL500s just to see the CART boys kick IRL ass.

But after last years debacle I refuse to watch it anymore.

Napoleon
05-20-03, 06:05 AM
I will be doing the same thing I have done for the last several years on sunday the 497.5 is run, work on my car.

RaceChic
05-20-03, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by cartmanoz

That's about it for me as well. I think this is my last year. I'm going to parade around in PT stuff all weekend. Let's see if I come back alive. ;)

Warlock!
05-20-03, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
I will be doing the same thing I have done for the last several years on sunday the 497.5 is run, work on my car.
After 8 years of workin' on yer car, you'd think the thing would run smooth as silk by now. ;)

Warlock!

Napoleon
05-20-03, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
After 8 years of workin' on yer car, you'd think the thing would run smooth as silk by now. ;)

Except I keep blowing it up and running it into things.

cart7
05-20-03, 08:06 AM
originally posted by cartmanoz
The only reason I went back in 2000 was to see Juan & Jimmy disgrace the irls best, which they did. The whole Cart vs. irl thing has kept my interest the last 3 races. Sadly, this year, with only Jimmy to cheer on, the race is feeling flat. It's just not an event anymore like it used to be. Nobody really cares. My friends sister has run a concession stand on Georgetown for many years. She is down to showing up for race weekend only now. Starting in '96, foot traffic had declined to the point on other weekends that they weren't making any money. Last year, they were actually considering pulling out and heading to one of the local Indiana regional Memorial day fairs. They figure they'll cut a better profit rather than pay the exhorbinant prices they're charged to set up shop across from the speedway.

Walter Zoomie
05-20-03, 02:39 PM
It's all just so sad. How do I explain to my 9 year old son, a race nut and possible future go-karter, what Indy used to mean and how it used to be? How my mother would take me to the track when I was 6 or 7, and explain to me that real race fans don't whine about being hot or cold or wet or hungry or tired..they prepare and adapt and enjoy what's going on around them.
How Pops, at his various perches around the track, took those wonderful pictures of brave men from another era doing what they loved best.
How the flourescent STP cars would get so close to the short chute walls during qualifying that the wall would glow orangish-red.
How the town of Speedway would be shut down the night before the race, strangers camping in your front yard, Crawfordsville Road being a parking lot, the thrill of sold out pole day and bump day, the Snake Pit, the parties...

I've tried to convey these things to my son, but he's seen none of it himself, so he'd rather fart around at the concession stand or go look at the military displays.

I guess time marches on, and things change.

It's so sad...

:(

RacinM3
05-20-03, 03:23 PM
Except I keep blowing it up and running it into things.

Nap, you sure you're not really an IRL driver??;)

RaceGrrl
05-20-03, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3

No... he doesn't have a broken back.

Napoleon
05-20-03, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3

Hey, I was halfway tempted to show up and try to stick my car in the field. I could do a couple laps, pick up my check and go over Spicoli's to drink some beers and watch the end of the race on TV.

Turn7
05-27-03, 11:04 AM
It is obvious that many of you watched the race. I didn't but, from reading the comments, it isn't what you want to see. It may have the same name but, it isn't the same.

Taco Bell had the encharitto in the 70's and 80's, dropped it from the menu and then brought it back in the late 90's. Same situation, it isn't the same as it used to be. It was my favorite thing on the menu and now I won't order it any more. Why, it has the same name? It doesn't taste the same, it is lower quality and it is a farce.

The same thing goes for the I500. The name is the same but, it is of lower quality, and it is a farce.

WoooHoooooooo....Milwaukee under lights and Monte Carlo this weekend.

Real Racing! Real Sport!

Railbird
05-27-03, 11:39 AM
Went to Indy

Going to Milwaukee

Then on to Texas

I moved on long ago.

chop456
05-27-03, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
Taco Bell had the encharitto in the 70's and 80's, dropped it from the menu and then brought it back in the late 90's. Same situation, it isn't the same as it used to be. It was my favorite thing on the menu and now I won't order it any more. Why, it has the same name? It doesn't taste the same, it is lower quality and it is a farce.

Yer damn right.

And whatever happened to the Bellbeefer and the tostadas? And when the hot sauce came in those little tubs with the peel-off lids? Some of us remember the classics and how important they were. ;)

See everyone at the mile.

pchall
05-27-03, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Move on and quit checking to see if it has returned.

'king no! Tony George has killed something I loved. Now I need to know when to dance on its grave to make him miserable in his twisted little soul.

RaceChic
05-27-03, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by pchall
'king no! Tony George has killed something I loved. Now I need to know when to dance on its grave to make him miserable in his twisted little soul.

Now there's a Woo Doggies gathering to be had..............:)

RaceGrrl
05-27-03, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by pchall

Know any dancers? RaceChic, Lisa and mello, are you in? :p

RaceChic
05-27-03, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Know any dancers? RaceChic, Lisa and mello, are you in? :p
Count me in, friend! :D

pchall
05-27-03, 12:47 PM
We need an "Indy is dead" wake at WooDoggies.

Which great CART race gets this as a footnote?

:)

RaceChic
05-27-03, 12:58 PM
Last race of the year............. sub-theme for the Woo Doggies end of season bash!!! You coming pchall? :thumbup: