PDA

View Full Version : Is AVG going not free?

OW
05-05-08, 09:53 PM
8.0 I tried to look...looks like we lose the best free Anti-Virus
What do you guys see??

OW

dando
05-05-08, 09:57 PM
8.0 I tried to look...looks like we lose the best free Anti-Virus
What do you guys see??

OW

Not from what I'm seeing here (http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition). Nor could I find any references to AVG going pay only through a quickie GOOG search.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
05-05-08, 09:59 PM
I haven't looked in a few months, but I use 7.5 Free. It's my understanding that the free version doesn't include spam blocker, phishing blocker, spyware protection among other things, but they have two pay version that do (added after looking :)) The free version is just anti-virus.

http://free.grisoft.com/

OW
05-05-08, 10:06 PM
Hey Dando,
Your awesome,,,,,
I got I warning from AVG (my best friend for 4 years) that May 31st was last 7.5 based - new rules....and the clicks to 8.0 were not free (and I did look around)

They have always hidden the free ....

THANKS for the new link.....

Its 45 Meg

Thanks again...

OW

OW
05-05-08, 10:09 PM
Sean,
Yes the simple Anti-V default runs at 8AM every morning and that has been fine for me...

On-line real time I dont worry about...

Actually it has more of a confidence than ever finding anything... I don't go "bad places"

Thanks again guys,
OW

dando
05-05-08, 10:14 PM
I haven't looked in a few months, but I use 7.5 Free. It's my understanding that the free version doesn't include spam blocker, phishing blocker, spyware protection among other things, but they have two pay version that do (added after looking :)) The free version is just anti-virus.

http://free.grisoft.com/

Updates are also a lower priority, no support, etc., but the fre version does include spyware protection (all-in-one with 8.0):

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Time to upgrade...

-Kevin

OW
05-05-08, 10:48 PM
Thanks Dando.
Pretty ..much was next..next..next...
Needed a reboot...

Also needed to go to update...Its interesting that Windows itself said you are out of updates for anti virus....after "doing" no windows complaint...I swear MS recognizes Grisoft

I have some added tool bars.....(as much as I read and tried to avoid it)
Ill fix that

I now have the familiar yellow blue green red square

Thanks again,
OW

dando
05-05-08, 11:00 PM
I swear MS recognizes Grisoft

Yup. AVG is an option for AV/AS security in Vista, and XP's SP2 Security Center alerts when AVG is not updated. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

OW
05-05-08, 11:03 PM
a liitle tied to yahoo too
ie -> view -> options ->toolbars -> uncheck yahoo and your home (if you not a yahoo guy)

Thanks (for the 4th time..)

Have a great week

I'm off to INDY friday (pls don't kill me for that) I like the camping

OW

racermike
05-06-08, 12:45 AM
I still like using Avast

Been using it for 2+ years and its excellent all around AV/Security software (and its free for home users!)

TravelGal
05-08-08, 01:45 PM
I downloaded the free 8.01 and can't seem to find a way to scan on demand. Very annoying.

Cam
05-08-08, 07:01 PM
I downloaded the free 8.01 and can't seem to find a way to scan on demand. Very annoying.

Try scanning thru the file browser. Right click on the file/folder you want to scan and see if the option to scan for viruses is integrated into explorer.

ChampcarShark
05-09-08, 06:25 PM
AVG 8 crashed my XP computer. It can not delete 7.5 and I am not able to uninstall AVG 8.

Works wonders on my Vista Laptop, running Office 2007 too.

HELP, I feel worthless without my avg AV.

Never had a problem with avg before.

Cam
05-10-08, 11:52 PM
AVG 8 crashed my XP computer. It can not delete 7.5 and I am not able to uninstall AVG 8.

Works wonders on my Vista Laptop, running Office 2007 too.

HELP, I feel worthless without my avg AV.

Never had a problem with avg before.

Do a system restore to a date before you tried to install 8. Uninstall 7.5 and try again.

ChampcarShark
05-13-08, 11:26 AM
Do a system restore to a date before you tried to install 8. Uninstall 7.5 and try again.

Did that, but was unable to uninstall 7.5. I re-installed 7.5 then did the upgrade instead of the clean install, and everything is working now.

Thanks.