PDA

View Full Version : NHL Crew Member Killed

Corner5
05-05-08, 01:03 PM
From AR1

Newman/Haas/Lanigan mechanic killed in bar brawl We are sad to report that Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing mechanic Davey Evans died Saturday night. He was in Indy, and was out with friends from the team enjoying an evening beer. Apparently, there was a group of young men looking for some trouble, and unfortunately they found Davey. One of them picked a fight with him. He suffered a savage kick to the head, and it killed him. From what we hear, that group was known for starting fights for the fun of it. All three are in custody, and it is being treated as a homicide.

An autopsy is going to be performed today to determine the exact cause of death. At this time, memorial/funeral plans have not been finalized.

Davey was a longtime member of the racing community and was in charge of the engines at NHL.

Godspeed.

G.
05-05-08, 01:24 PM
This is pretty sad. Apparently an unprovoked kick to the head.

:(

dando
05-05-08, 01:36 PM

RIP.

-Kevin

Corner5
05-05-08, 01:50 PM
Thanks to LRF- pic-

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/LadyRaceFan/Long%20Beach%202007/IMG_7931.jpg

Davey in the blue shirt behind CDM.

He has been in racing since the can-am days.

sad indeed.

SteveH
05-05-08, 02:01 PM
What terrible news. My deepest condolences to his family, friends and team.

rabbit
05-05-08, 02:14 PM
I've seen him at the track many times. Very tragic. :(

Insomniac
05-05-08, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear this. Messed up stuff for sure. :(

anait
05-05-08, 02:51 PM
:( Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

Don Quixote
05-05-08, 03:09 PM
Horrible. :(
IMO, a kick to the head should be murder 1. :flame:

Corner5
05-05-08, 03:20 PM
The latest-

"the guys were waiting outside and jumped the N/H guys. Davey got kicked in the head, fell and hit his head. Had vitals at the scene, died at hospital.

They were staying at a hotel on the west side, eating at Kazablanka's, which used to be Flattop Johnny's -- Bill Simpson's place. They were just walking back to the hotel after having waited around a while after the thugs left."

oddlycalm
05-05-08, 03:22 PM
Tragic. All because some cockroaches felt the need to stomp an old man for entertainment. :shakehead

oc

FCYTravis
05-05-08, 03:23 PM
Oh God... the inhumanity of men to other men, will it ever cease?

RIP and Godspeed, Davey. :(

emjaya
05-05-08, 04:58 PM
That sucks. :(

cameraman
05-05-08, 05:41 PM
Stomping a guy for fun, pretty much defines maggot.

There just isn't much you can say to that :shakehead :flame:

My deepest condolences to his family, friends and team.

Corner5
05-05-08, 07:26 PM
Finally hit the news-

Ruled a homicide-

E-Mail News Alerts
Get breaking news and daily headlines.

Browse all e-mail newsletters
Racing Team Member's Death Ruled Homicide

Coroner's Office: Man Died Of Stroke After Fight

POSTED: 5:47 pm EDT May 5, 2008
UPDATED: 6:17 pm EDT May 5, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS -- This weekend's death of an IndyCar Series team member who collapsed after a fight at an Indianapolis bar has been ruled a homicide, police said Monday.
Police said David Evans, a British man who worked for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, died of a stroke after fighting with someone at Kazablanka bar at 5801 Rockville Road early Sunday.
The county coroner's office determined that stress from the fight induced the stroke and ruled the death a homicide, Indianapolis police said. Police said they are investigating a person who fought with Evans and that the county prosecutor's office will decide whether to file charges.

The team, which includes drivers Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal, intends to compete in this month's Indianapolis 500. Wilson and Rahal passed the Indianapolis 500 rookie orientation program on Sunday, hours after Evans died.
Police said they were called to the bar at about 1 a.m. Officers found Evans unresponsive, and he was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:47 a.m., police said.
Stay with 6News and TheIndyChannel.com for updates.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/16167174/detail.html

Text Size
Police: Newman-Haas chief mechanic dies following bar fight
Posted: May 5, 2008 04:51 PM
Updated: May 5, 2008 05:04 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The Chief Mechanic for the Newman-Haas racing team died early Sunday morning after a bar fight.

Police were called out to the Kazablanca bar on the west side at around 1 a.m. on Sunday. When they arrived they found 63-year-old David Arthur Evans unresponsive. He was taken to Wishard Hospital and later died.

An autopsy revealed Evans died from a stroke induced by the stress of a fight and has ruled the death a homicide. An investigation is underway.

A Newman-Haas spokesperson is holding a news conference at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway right now.

24-Hour News 8 will have the latest information tonight on News 8 at 10 and 11 p.m.

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8274115&nav=menu35_3

Chaos
05-05-08, 07:39 PM
I hope they find those guys, cut their nuts off and throw them into prison with the sodomites.

Corner5
05-05-08, 07:54 PM
from USA Today

Newman/Haas/Lanigan general manager Brian Lisles said Evans had been with the team for more than 20 years and had worked on cars for Mario and Michael Andretti.

Lisles described Evans as a gentleman.

"His final moments in this world were totally atypical of how he led his life," Lisles said. "He was a quiet, thoughtful person who just went out to have a meal and a beer and was walking back to the hotel."

Lisles said the team's best tribute to Evans would be a successful race and season.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2008-05-05-2964407913_x.htm

Trevor Longman
05-05-08, 07:57 PM
I hope they find those guys, cut their nuts off and throw them into prison with the sodomites.

According to the article they are already in custody.

TravelGal
05-05-08, 08:46 PM
This really sucks. I, too, had seen him often at the track. I'm glad it was ruled a homicide so those *(^&%=%;ers can get what's coming to them.

Gnam
05-05-08, 08:56 PM
:( Shocking and sad that this is how people treat each other.

eiregosod
05-05-08, 08:58 PM
condolances to the Evans family, NHL racing and his friends.

:flame:

Anteater
05-05-08, 09:00 PM
This is tragic; my deepest condolences to Davey's family and friends. :(

Fio1
05-06-08, 01:23 AM
Very sad indeed. What cowards fighting a 63-year-old man. All suspects should get life in prison.

Corner5
05-06-08, 10:23 AM
Indystar finally reports the story, the comments below the article are digusting. They blame the victim-

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080506/LOCAL1804/805060359#pluckcomments

some comments-

"This old man started the fight and had been at the bar for 2 or 3 hours before the fight started. "

indycutie wrote:
"The 63 year old man had a problem with anger and the "punk responsible" did walk away. There are plenty of witnesses.It's unfortunate what happened and my heart goes out to his family."

ljheidel wrote:
"He was in a bar, drinking, at 1 or 2 in the morning and he (presumably) willingly went outside with these toughs. He could have called the cops. He could have stayed in the bar. He could have avoided the situation. He's 63 years old. That's more than old enough to know better.

The other party may be criminal liable, but this is hardly sounds like a case worthy of rallying around in the interest of justice. It's an unfortunate incident involving two people, *both* who apparently have or had less than stellar judgement, not an egregious affront to the people of Indianapolis. Save your shows of indignity for cases that really deserve them."

mykidzmom wrote:
"By the time you are 63 years old what are you thinking by being at a bar at that time of night.? One more idiot off the streets."

Don Quixote
05-06-08, 10:40 AM
jeesh, that's nice. :mad:
What's going on in Indianer?

Indy
05-06-08, 11:02 AM
So a thread mourning a friend becomes a rant? Classless.

Corner5
05-06-08, 11:16 AM
So a thread mourning a friend becomes a rant? Classless.

Classless, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Where does it say this is a "mourning" thread?

If you don't like it ,don't read it.

Yes I would like to rant, the buyout is a "merger", Helio lets Danica win, junk cars, another back injury, now almost a cover-up of a crewman's death. Something stinks in Indy.

A pox on TG's house of lies, karma will prevail. :rantoff:

Indy
05-06-08, 11:23 AM
I hate the idiots who did this as much as you do. I have been seething with anger since I heard about. I am also ashamed that my city is where it happened. Nevertheless, using this as an excuse to vent your frustrations over racing is indeed classless.

Mods, please remove these posts from this thread.

dando
05-06-08, 11:32 AM
mykidzmom wrote:
"By the time you are 63 years old what are you thinking by being at a bar at that time of night.? One more idiot off the streets."

Anyone with a nickname of mykidzmom immediately gets no cred. :thumdown: And then to post that just proves why. :mad: :saywhat:

-Kevin

rabbit
05-06-08, 12:14 PM
Mods, please remove these posts from this thread.
I agree. Posting such stupidity on here only perpetuates it. :thumdown:

Sean Malone
05-06-08, 12:16 PM
sometimes I hate the internet.:shakehead

TKGAngel
05-06-08, 12:19 PM
A lot of the remarks that Corner5 posted remind me of the idiots that came out of the woodwork when Greg passed; saying that he got what was coming to him for driving a tobacco sponsored car.

SurfaceUnits
05-06-08, 02:13 PM
If kalkhoven hadn't sold out, this incident wouldn't have happened.

nrc
05-06-08, 05:33 PM
A man died tragically because of the malicious behavior of a bunch of idiots. It's one thing to point out that some people are being idiots about about what happened but I don't see any benefit of dragging that in here or turning it into a racing politics thing. Unless there's proof otherwise let's be bigger than that.

Chiphead_Dave
05-06-08, 05:48 PM
Met him 2x.

He took the time to answer my and more importantly my 5 and 7 year old kids questions without talking down to them.

Nice guy.

Sad to see him end this way.

Corner5
05-07-08, 09:09 AM
FYI-

"A Memorial Service has been planned to celebrate the life of our beloved team member David "Davey" Evans.

The service will take place on Wednesday, May 7, 2008 at 7:30 p.m. in the Pavilion at the Brickyard Crossing Resort, 4790 West 16th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46222. All who knew Davey are invited to attend and share their memories. Another service will be held at a later date in Chicago.

In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that contributions be made to one of Davey's favorite charities: St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital and the Association of Hole in the Wall Camps."

TedN
05-08-08, 07:51 PM
Thank you Mr. Kirby.

Link (http://gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2008/the_way_it_is_no126.html)

Ted

TravelGal
05-09-08, 02:07 AM
Thank you Mr. Kirby.

Link (http://gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2008/the_way_it_is_no126.html)

Ted

And thank you Ted for bringing that tribute to our attention. Gordon really outdid himself. A very very good piece.