PDA

View Full Version : Why Do They Take That Line?

Andrew Longman
05-04-08, 01:30 PM
At Indy, on the long stretches, why do they move to the inside after coming off T2 and T4 then back up to the wall before entering T1 and T3? That makes the lap longer than if they just stayed outside by the wall.

I think I remember first seeing that in the late 80s or early 90s but never really understood it. If I had to guess I say it was to avoid denser air being compressed between the car and wall.

Thoughts?

SteveH
05-04-08, 01:34 PM
At Indy, on the long stretches, why do they move to the inside after coming off T2 and T4 then back up to the wall before entering T1 and T3? That makes the lap longer than if they just stayed outside by the wall.

I think I remember first seeing that in the late 80s or early 90s but never really understood it. If I had to guess I say it was to avoid denser air being compressed between the car and wall.

Thoughts?

To get away from the wall. When they are close to the wall it disrupts the air flow around the car.

dando
05-04-08, 01:35 PM
I think that's the apex line with the short chutes b/w 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. Keep in mind that Al Jr. described racing @ IMS as racing on a pool table, since the corners are more square than typical ovals. But heck, it's been so long since I really watched Indy, I could be on crack. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
05-04-08, 03:47 PM

Thoughts?

It may be longer, but it's faster. Isn't that all that matters? :D

gjc2
05-04-08, 04:02 PM
The reason is that they don't use a differential on oval tracks. The ring gear is attached to a spool and since they use slightly different circumference tires left and right (stager) the car has a natural tendency to pull to the left. If the driver tried to keep the car up against the wall he would be scrubbing off speed with the front tires.

George

Andrew Longman
05-04-08, 04:05 PM
The reason is that they don't use a differential on oval tracks. The ring gear is attached to a spool and since they use slightly different circumference tires left and right (stager) the car has a natural tendency to pull to the left. If the driver tried to keep the car up against the wall he would be scrubbing off speed with the front tires.

George

Hadn't thought of that. Makes sense, but is that true at IMS too? Most of the lap is in a straight line and relatively little is turning. Tracks such as MIS almost the entire lap is at radius.

gjc2
05-04-08, 04:31 PM
Hadn't thought of that. Makes sense, but is that true at IMS too? Most of the lap is in a straight line and relatively little is turning. Tracks such as MIS almost the entire lap is at radius.

It's most noticeable at the IMS because it has four distinct corners connected by long straights. Also I think the amount of stagger is related to the amount of banking.

George

Gnam
05-05-08, 09:14 PM
I remember David Hobbs commenting on Lewis Hamilton's line coming off the banking. In the early practices, Hamilton would exit Turn 13 right against the wall. It was breath taking to see him get so close, but Hobbs was convinced it was a bad line not because it was dangerous, but because he was sacrificing speed.

I thought it had something to with the wall exerting drag on the car. :confused:

Sean O'Gorman
05-05-08, 09:20 PM
FWIW, which is probably not much, whenever I'd drive on IMS or any large oval in a video game, it seems like you get a better corner exit because you aren't trying to force the car to stay along the wall. Stagger, differential, whatever.

gjc2
05-06-08, 09:05 PM
in a video game, it seems like you get a better corner exit because you aren't trying to force the car to stay along the wall.

With a car using a spool and running tire stager that is exactly what happens. In order to keep the car against the wall the driver has to put some slip angle on the front tires, and slip angle scrubs off speed

George

Chaos
05-07-08, 09:03 AM
marbles too maybe?

Insomniac
05-07-08, 01:24 PM
marbles too maybe?

Marbles would form off line. They wouldn't form on that path if that was the preferred line.

Chaos
05-07-08, 01:26 PM
Marbles would form off line. They wouldn't form on that path if that was the preferred line.

I agree, but I just figured with the wall, there's no where else for them to go.

Ankf00
05-07-08, 02:08 PM
airplane on a treadmill?

:D

mapguy
05-08-08, 05:29 AM
airplane on a treadmill?

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/298677/2/istockphoto_298677_can_o_worms.jpg

Insomniac
05-08-08, 08:04 AM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/298677/2/istockphoto_298677_can_o_worms.jpg

I thought that was settled.

Cam
05-08-08, 08:36 AM

That has redundancy written all over it. It should just say "Worms" We can tell it;s a can! :rolleyes:

chop456
05-08-08, 08:52 AM
That has redundancy written all over it. It should just say "Worms" We can tell it;s a can! :rolleyes:
Perhaps you'd also like to complain about the fact that they have eyes and appear to be standing upright.

Just trying to help. :D

Don Quixote
05-08-08, 10:14 AM
Worms don't have eyes? Then how do they see? :confused:

cameraman
05-08-08, 01:19 PM
Worms don't have eyes? Then how do they see? :confused:

The common earthworm doesn't have eyes and is blind.

Don Quixote
05-08-08, 01:44 PM
I was trying to make a funny. :gomer:

cameraman
05-08-08, 03:25 PM
It is getting harder and harder to tell anymore.