PDA

View Full Version : Sanctioning for Pro Atlantics

Easy
04-30-08, 03:19 PM
Anyone know who is providing the sanctioning this year? Is it still Champ Car? Not out of the question I guess since the entity still technically exists.

indyfan31
04-30-08, 03:25 PM
That's what I thought, but then I heard/read that "Champ Car" filed for bankrupcy, so now I don't know.

dando
04-30-08, 03:36 PM
Last I heard it was TBA. I did a quickie search on it, and it appears to be CCWS according to the Atlantics Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Atlantic_Championship_season). I couldn't find anything official on the Atlantics site, tho.

-Kevin

Gnam
04-30-08, 05:30 PM
Recent article on the Road Atlanta date doesn't mention the sanctioning body or Champ Car.

http://www.autoracingdaily.com/article/atlantic-championship-set-to-conclude-one-day-earlier/

opinionated ow
04-30-08, 06:24 PM
It could just come under ACCUS

FCYTravis
05-01-08, 01:47 AM
ACCUS isn't technically its own sanctioning body, I don't think. I don't think there's ever been a U.S. series directly sanctioned through them. It's the umbrella ASN, responsible for coordinating all the other members' activities with FIA.

Usually, new start-up sanctioning bodies have to run under someone else for a year before being admitted to ACCUS (CART and Grand-Am were sanctioned by SCCA the first year, IRL by USAC, for example) but perhaps they've waived that rule and simply allowed the Atlantic Championship to become its own body one year early?

I find that a bit unlikely, though. Possible that there's still "Champ Car" in essentially name only, providing the sanctioning for this year.

Edit: http://www.accusfia.com doesn't show anything about Atlantics being admitted as a member organization, and still shows Champ Car as a member organization. Possible it simply hasn't been updated, though.

Current members: Champ Car, IRL, NASCAR, Grand-Am, NHRA, USAC, SCCA and IMSA, with WKA being an associate member.

Cam
05-01-08, 07:50 AM
Link (http://www.na-motorsports.com/Organizations/ChampCar/)

ChampCar sanctions a series of open wheel races descended from the Indy Cars of the 1990s, and also sanctions the ChampCar Atlantic support series.

Where that stands now is anybodys guess.

FCYTravis
05-20-08, 08:11 PM
The Atlantics officials I saw/spoke to at Laguna had IRL hard-cards. No IRL stickers on the cars, though.

NismoZ
05-20-08, 10:16 PM
yet.

Sean Malone
05-20-08, 10:21 PM
What is the IRL now that they are promoting the IndyCar Series title? The sanctioning body or are they dropping the IRL?

Spicoli
05-20-08, 11:03 PM
The Atlantics officials I saw/spoke to at Laguna had IRL hard-cards. No IRL stickers on the cars, though.

i amagione that they have them cause of their big car teams, accourse.

Easy
05-21-08, 10:24 AM
What is the IRL now that they are promoting the IndyCar Series title? The sanctioning body or are they dropping the IRL?

IRL is the sanctioning body and official ACCUS member.

JoeBob
05-21-08, 10:57 AM
The Sanctioning Body has been the Indy Racing League ever since they threw USAC out. Starting in 2003, they started calling their championship the "IndyCar Series."

This year, things are as they have been for almost 5 years. The Sanctioning Body is the IRL. The top series that they sanction is the ICS. (They also sanction the Indy Pro Series (now renamed Indy Lights)).

jcollins28
05-21-08, 03:10 PM

No every hardcard had a IRL logo on it. From what I have heard the IRL will be the sanctioning body and it looks like Atlantics will even run some ovals next year.

pchall
05-21-08, 03:18 PM
But I thought evil Champcar couldn't produce an oval ready chassis? :tony:

No every hardcard had a IRL logo on it. From what I have heard the IRL will be the sanctioning body and it looks like Atlantics will even run some ovals next year.

Spicoli
05-21-08, 04:49 PM

Huh?

They gonna shatcan the baby crapwaggens? (Please Jebus, let it be so).

jcollins28
05-21-08, 04:54 PM
Huh?

They gonna shatcan the baby crapwaggens? (Please Jebus, let it be so).

Nope, TG is big on bringing back the nineties. Ladder will be:

Atlantics
Indy Lights (IPS)
IRL

I think they better give those IPS sleds some more horsepower or something though. On some tracks I believe the Atlantics are just as fast if not faster then the IPS cars.

pchall
05-21-08, 08:21 PM
Crapwagon Lights have approximately 450 HP and last time I bothered to look it up the chassis was about 150 pounds lighter than a 650 HP crapwagon. Give them more horsepower and the Lights will start embarrassing the crapwagons on the road and street courses.

think they better give those IPS sleds some more horsepower or something though. On some tracks I believe the Atlantics are just as fast if not faster then the IPS cars.

Gnam
05-21-08, 08:41 PM
Ladder will be:

Atlantics
Indy Lights (IPS)
IRL

Looks good to me. Atlantics on top rung, wankers down in the IRL. ;)

FCYTravis
05-22-08, 01:13 AM
No, even the officials (Nate Siebens, et al.) had IRL credentials.

They weren't made out of ,,,paper,,, either.

Corner5
05-22-08, 11:23 AM
Nope, TG is big on bringing back the nineties. Ladder will be:

Atlantics
Indy Lights (IPS)
IRL

I think they better give those IPS sleds some more horsepower or something though. On some tracks I believe the Atlantics are just as fast if not faster then the IPS cars.

That's news. As far as we know, GF and KK still own the Atlantics, the series wasn't part of the sale. Last I read, Vicki said they had some options for sanctioning. Guess we'll find out after BK?

extramundane
05-22-08, 01:26 PM
That's news. As far as we know, GF and KK still own the Atlantics, the series wasn't part of the sale. Last I read, Vicki said they had some options for sanctioning. Guess we'll find out after BK?

Yeah, a lot of the sportscar dudes were dead certain that an IMSA deal (w/ Mazda support) was all but done. It'd be a shame to see it folded into the Marion County ladder system. :(

jcollins28
05-22-08, 03:12 PM

Who said anything about Atlantics being up for sale? Just because the IRL is the sanctioning body does not mean they (IRL) owns the series. Although I do wonder why KK & Gerry would hold on to it.

SteveH
05-22-08, 03:26 PM
Although I do wonder why KK & Gerry would hold on to it.

Possibly because the IRL saw no need for purchase. And it doesn't fit very neatly into any other racing series. Its a shame, Atlantics was one series hat worked: solid teams, respectable sponsorship levels, exceptional talent for a feeder series and great racing.

Corner5
05-22-08, 03:46 PM
Who said anything about Atlantics being up for sale? Just because the IRL is the sanctioning body does not mean they (IRL) owns the series. Although I do wonder why KK & Gerry would hold on to it.

I didn't say it was for sale either, only that it wasn't part of the buyout, that's all. I'm wondering just like you.

FCYTravis
05-22-08, 11:27 PM
I just don't see how IMSA would want it. One would think they'd be much more interested in pushing people from Star Mazda into their IMSA Lites, rather than into yet another open-wheel series.

Although, much top sports car talent has come out of the Atlantics, so the synergies are there.

extramundane
05-23-08, 03:34 AM
I just don't see how IMSA would want it. One would think they'd be much more interested in pushing people from Star Mazda into their IMSA Lites, rather than into yet another open-wheel series.

Although, much top sports car talent has come out of the Atlantics, so the synergies are there.

The logic I heard was that Mazda wanted to stay involved, and they liked it as a more formal step between Star Mazda and P2. And it's not like IMSA promotes Lites to begin with, so why start now? That would make too much sense.

'Course, until I hear it from a stuffed animal, I don't believe it. :gomer:

Easy
05-23-08, 12:24 PM
So have we concluded that the IRL is the sanction? They can't be just running without a deal as no track would let them on site.

Under any sanction IRL/SCCA Pro/NASA/IMSA whatever, $1,000,000 budgets, no $2 mil bonus for the champ and no TV. Unfortunately, the market may take care of where to put this iteration of Pro Atlantic unless Jer Bear wants to re-live Champ Car on a smaller expenditure. Vicki O'Connor is probably the most capable series administrator in North America but this perfect storm of unification and its preference for IPS/Lights, any stock car series eating up the potential TV slots, too high budgets and a weak economy could relegate Atlantic to the history bin.

Jer Bear's fits and tantrums can't be a positive either.

grungex
06-18-08, 11:53 AM
I'm hearing IMSA is indeed going to sanction Atlantics...

nrc
06-18-08, 12:01 PM
Excellant! TV?

Ed_Severson
06-18-08, 12:35 PM

For the remainder of '08, or beginning in '09?

Easy
06-18-08, 02:37 PM
In the Autosport interview with Tony George he mentions that the IRL agreed to assume sanctioning the Atlantics for this season as part of the deal with Kalkho and Ger Bear so they didn't get sued by yet another group for gassing it at the last second. After that Tony says Atlantics are on their own as the IRL will continue to focus on Indy Lights as their development series and hopes to attract some Atlantic teams to Lights.

Methanolandbrats
06-18-08, 02:43 PM
In the Autosport interview with Tony George he mentions that the IRL agreed to assume sanctioning the Atlantics for this season as part of the deal with Kalkho and Ger Bear so they didn't get sued by yet another group for gassing it at the last second. After that Tony says Atlantics are on their own as the IRL will continue to focus on Indy Lights as their development series and hopes to attract some Atlantic teams to Lights. It just keeps getting better :gomer:

grungex
06-18-08, 09:40 PM
For the remainder of '08, or beginning in '09?

Damn, I was afraid someone would ask that! I don't know, but 2009 seems more likely. Seems Vicki was hoping young Anton would step up and do the right thing, but we all know how reliable he is... :tony:

pchall
06-18-08, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't want the wonderful legacy of Atlantics sullied by prolonged association with the IRL.

Single-seater road racing in the US needs somebody to save it from the death grip of IMS, so if Vicki takes Atlantics to IMSA weekends and has a few other events (Trois Rivieres, Mont Tremblant, and a return to the Canadian GP weekend) so much the better.

Damn, I was afraid someone would ask that! I don't know, but 2009 seems more likely. Seems Vicki was hoping young Anton would step up and do the right thing, but we all know how reliable he is... :tony:

aportinga
06-19-08, 11:34 AM

You did not hear this from me but there is more to come... Nothing to go crazy about but something we can hang our hats on for sure:thumbup:

aportinga
06-19-08, 11:35 AM
Excellant! TV?

In the works.

Easy
06-19-08, 02:58 PM
The big secret is that Grand Am is purchasing the Atlantic championship to support the Rolex series and the Swift .016 will be phased out by 2010 for an all new tubeframe based "Daytona Atlantics" spec.

:gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 03:10 PM
The big secret is that Grand Am is purchasing the Atlantic championship to support the Rolex series and the Swift .016 will be phased out by 2010 for an all new tubeframe based "Daytona Atlantics" spec.

:gomer: That is NOT funny :)

extramundane
06-19-08, 03:18 PM

:gomer:

I hear it's a Formula Vee with an enclosed cockpit and 700cc Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine, 'cuz the American Motorsports Fan can better identify with it.

oddlycalm
06-20-08, 05:09 PM
The big secret is that Grand Am is purchasing the Atlantic championship to support the Rolex series and the Swift .016 will be phased out by 2010 for an all new tubeframe based "Daytona Atlantics" spec. :gomer:
Yeah Easy, but it'll be a modern tube chassis, not a 1960's tube chassis...;)

oc

Easy
06-20-08, 05:53 PM
I remember that some dude ran a slightly older Ralt or Swift FA at the runoffs a few years ago that had a semi enclosed cockpit consisting of two metal tube frame members from the roll hoop to the bulkhead. He had previously raced tin tops and was very uncomfortable with his head poking out so much. Probably getting close to what the Daytona Mafia would do to a single seat formula car.

Are those awful "Daytona" Silver Crown sleds still running?

cameraman
06-20-08, 06:24 PM
Are those awful "Daytona" Silver Crown sleds still running?
Nope they are currently running the old cars that predated those sleds while those abortions get redesigned.

Gnam
06-20-08, 06:37 PM
...a semi enclosed cockpit consisting of two metal tube frame members from the roll hoop to the bulkhead...
Like a dragster?

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8306/gibsoncockpitqz2.jpg

Or this?

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5231/1georgesnidermvscagegmpkp4.jpg

opinionated ow
06-20-08, 09:32 PM
Nope they are currently running the old cars that predated those sleds while those abortions get redesigned.

the buttmobiles are pretty much gone. Thank heavens...

extramundane
06-23-08, 01:40 PM
IMSA/Atlantic announcement (http://imsaracing.net/2008/news/IMSA%20to%20Sanction%20Cooper%20Tires%20Presents%2 0The%20Atlantic%20Championship%20Powered%20by%20Ma zda.pdf).

A key component of the 35th anniversary season for the Cooper Tires Presents The Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda has finally fallen into place as Atlantic Championship President Vicki O’Connor and officials from the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) announced today that IMSA has agreed to sanction Atlantic Championship events for the 2008 season.
[...]
While the Atlantic Championship will continue to be owned by Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe and will be operated by O’Connor and her staff, all races will be run under IMSA rules. The Atlantic Championship will be conducted under the IMSA Code, which establishes and oversees event, participant and safety parameters and conduct, as well as governing rules for each of its sanctioned series. The IMSA sanction takes immediate effect and will be in place for the next round of the Atlantic Championship on June 27-29 at Mont-Tremblant.

Easy
06-23-08, 02:59 PM
Gnam, it looked more like the dragster only it was an obvious afterthought.

Re: the IMSA announcement, does this mean the teams and drivers all get to pay a second set of membership and annual credential fees for this season?

Most likely. Make late changes and force the competitors to bear the cost. :thumdown:

SurfaceUnits
06-23-08, 10:14 PM
It has been 32 years since International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) was the sanctioning body for the Atlantic Championship series. In 1976, the series which is now celebrating its 35th anniversary, was known as the IMSA Formula Atlantic Championship Series, and utilized tracks in the United States of America, while its counterpart, the Canadian Automobile Sports Club (CASC), sanctioned the Formula Atlantic Championship Series north of the border.

Sounds confusing, but truly it was not, as the two worked hand-in-hand to ensure that the racers had the opportunity to run both in Canada and the USA. The two series opened the doors for chassis manufacturers but the spec engine was Ford. Four of the chassis manufacturers included March (the title winner), Tui, Chevron and Lola. The winner of the IMSA- and the CASC-sanctioned series was a certain Gilles Villeneuve from Quebec, Canada. In actual fact, he dominated both series.

2008 also marks the Atlantic series' return to the Road Atlanta road course in Braselton, Georgia -- home to Panoz Motor Sports Group (PMSG) which owns IMSA, having revived the dormant association in 2001 -- as the Georgia road course will be the scene of this year's season finale on October 4th.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=295778&FS=

FCYTravis
06-24-08, 05:01 AM
I'm happy to be wrong on this one :)

aportinga
06-24-08, 09:47 AM
We need some Atlantic swag - I'd love to fly that flag at RA this year:thumbup:

cameraman
06-24-08, 02:27 PM
We need some Atlantic swag - I'd love to fly that flag at RA this year:thumbup:

If they made it, I'd buy it.