PDA

View Full Version : Tendon transfer surgery

WickerBill
04-28-08, 04:08 PM
Anyone here have any experience with this surgery? Specifically in the hand.

Thanks...

racermike
04-28-08, 05:49 PM
Thats for a damaged nerve in the wrist isnt it?

Does not sound like fun, and probably surgery kinda like what I had last year to repair torn ligaments I had in wrist. (Happy to say I am somewhere near 90% use of what I had before I was injured)

Are you having his done? (Tendon surgery)

WickerBill
04-28-08, 06:04 PM
No, that would be my six year old son.

Broke his arm two years ago -- shattered it is more accurate -- and damaged nerves controlling index finger and thumb. Long story short, he's had two surgeries (this will be 3) and cannot bend his thumb or index finger more than 20% and can barely feel them.

This is what the surgeon called "last resort", which is... awful sounding.

TravelGal
04-28-08, 07:40 PM
It does sound awful, doesn't it? This may not be much help but I know I know someone who had this done and quite successfully. It will probably come to me the next time in shower.

I just took one today so don't hold your breath. Or at least not yet. :\ Waiting for the answer, that is.

Back on topic, I'm sure I've heard of it because I had a much less serious hand tendon problem so I take a personal interest in anyone with thumb/first digit issues.

It's the tendon problem that's less serious, not the hand.... aw heck....

cameraman
04-28-08, 07:51 PM
So which tendons are going to be transfered? It sounds like the thumb and index finger both need work. That would be two tendons.

Where are they coming from?

High Sided
04-29-08, 01:39 AM
i have had it done around 1996 to help give me a better grip/pinch. my left hand is paralyzed so the only motion i have is a minor grip/pinch when i extend my wrist. i left rehab with a tenodesis splint and chose not to use the cumbersome device. later i learned about the tendon transfer and gave it a go. the transfer didn't help me because it changed the location of my thumb in return making things harder. they were able to reverse the procedure so no harm no foul. since your son has motion in his thumb, finger he shouldn't have the problems i had. i'd say go ahead with it if he wasn't so young, maybe put it off until he's older :confused:

WickerBill
04-29-08, 09:36 AM
The tendons are coming from his little and ring fingers, and from his wrist.

I just don't want to do further damage -- e.g. harming the three fingers that work well to get 20% better in the two that don't... but it's been two years and the boy is starting to really be affected by not having use of the hand, so I suppose anything's worth a try.

Sean Malone
04-29-08, 10:38 AM
The tendons are coming from his little and ring fingers, and from his wrist.

I just don't want to do further damage -- e.g. harming the three fingers that work well to get 20% better in the two that don't... but it's been two years and the boy is starting to really be affected by not having use of the hand, so I suppose anything's worth a try.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's hand WB. Wishing him the best.

oddlycalm
04-29-08, 02:09 PM
I just don't want to do further damage Is it reversible in the event it doesn't go as planned?

oc

G.
04-29-08, 04:50 PM
I can't help out with experience, but damn! Deciding on surgery for your son sucks!

Best to you and yours.

Ankf00
04-29-08, 05:17 PM
hope it turns out for the best.

WickerBill
04-29-08, 06:19 PM
Is it reversible in the event it doesn't go as planned?

Yes, with a major surgery and a long recovery. At least that's what the doc says.

TravelGal
04-29-08, 06:34 PM
I don't want to be a snot because I'm usually so demeure (can't even SPELL it!) but have you gotten other opinions? You don't want a general ortho guy here. You want the best hand surgeon in the country. Someone who says with authority, YES, this is what will work. Not someone who seems to dread trying the last resort.

Come down for an evaluation visit at Kerlan Jobe here in LA. I'm sure some OC'ers can help put you up. (I've already sort of broached the subject to TravelGuy, although I'm not sure he knows it yet. heheheheh)

WickerBill
04-29-08, 07:22 PM
Well he's at Riley Hospital with a surgeon who has spent considerable time at Mayo and St. Jude -- he's good. The boy's original surgeon thought tendon transfer was the way to go over a year ago, and that guy was pretty top shelf also.

That's going to have to do for a second opinion, I'm afraid.

oddlycalm
04-29-08, 08:04 PM
Hoping for the best WB. :thumbup: Just curious, is this the child that was born when you were moderating 7G back when we were all younger?

oc

Indy
04-29-08, 09:03 PM
That's tough, man. Sorry to hear that.

I have had great luck with these people:

http://www.indianahandcenter.com/8501_location.html

High Sided
04-29-08, 10:32 PM
i'd ask to speak with some patients who have had sucsess with the surgery, maybe visit the clinic rehab with your son. they do some pretty incredible stuff with hands these days, my dr. turns toes into fingers:eek:

WickerBill
04-30-08, 05:20 AM
Hoping for the best WB. :thumbup: Just curious, is this the child that was born when you were moderating 7G back when we were all younger?

oc

Yep! Born in June 2001, about the time 7G management started to waver on their commitment to CART.

WickerBill
04-30-08, 05:21 AM
http://www.indianahandcenter.com/8501_location.html

Though it's getting done at Riley, IHC is supplying the surgeon(s) (found out there will be two attending, one acting as a second set of eyes)

TravelGal
04-30-08, 11:55 AM
Though it's getting done at Riley, IHC is supplying the surgeon(s) (found out there will be two attending, one acting as a second set of eyes)

As long as they are top drawer, you've put my mind to rest. I hope you can let it ease *your* mind a little.

Turn7
04-30-08, 12:06 PM
I had a knee surgery where they used a portion of the tendon from my hamstring and then also from a cadaver to do the rebuild. This was just a normal deal type thing because it was all fubared when they cut me open. I don't have any insight as to whether a new tendon will fix nerve system or flexibility. I do know that it took a while and lots of painful PT to get my knee to "almost" straighten completely out again after the surgery. 6 months or so of stretching and rehab.

anait
04-30-08, 12:25 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your son, WB. How's he doing with all of this, at such a young age?

I have nerve damage in my right elbow and right knee. We have looked mainly at nerve repair surgery, which my doctor didn't recommend. In his view it's a crap shoot whether the nerves would stay fixed, or grow back even worse than before. So since I'm not further damaging the nerves by using my arm and leg, just creating more pain, I opted to stay with the pain.

Admittedly, though, it is becoming harder to do the basics of life; driving, going up and down stairs, lifting stuff in the kitchen, cooking, yardwork. My doctor and physiotherapist both advised that when either the elbow or knee becomes irritated, I should stay off my feet and not use my right arm for a couple of weeks. :rolleyes: Yuh huh....

Gnam
04-30-08, 12:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your boy.

Two relatives have had the procedure, resulting in restored range of motion and no more pain. They were both adults, however.

WickerBill
05-06-08, 05:15 PM
Well, for better or worse, it's done. He's all bundled up in a club-end cast for a few weeks, then physical therapy starts. Hope it works. Glad the surgery is over.

Don Quixote
05-06-08, 05:22 PM
Good luck. :thumbup:

dando
05-06-08, 05:22 PM
Well, for better or worse, it's done. He's all bundled up in a club-end cast for a few weeks, then physical therapy starts. Hope it works. Glad the surgery is over.

Thoughts & prayers, WB.

-Kevin

nrc
05-06-08, 05:36 PM
Best wishes for a quick recovery and good results.

oddlycalm
05-06-08, 07:21 PM
We're with ya WB. Hope things go well.

oc

emjaya
05-06-08, 07:28 PM
Best wishes. I hope it goes well. :thumbup:

cameraman
05-06-08, 07:49 PM

Retraining his brain to what impulse moves which finger can take a while. Thing is the younger the patient, the quicker and the better the patient can get it done. Age is on his side, good luck.

Indy
05-06-08, 09:30 PM
Man, it hurts to see a kid wheeled away to surgery. God bless you for living through it, and good luck to your son.

cameraman
05-07-08, 12:33 AM
Spending a few nights in the er/hospital with your kid is quite the reality check.

WickerBill
05-07-08, 07:01 AM
Wow, you guys and gals are great. Thank you for the support.

I guess I trust you enough to see the kid... here's a pic. Boss, I'll delete it after a couple days, I promise.

G.
05-07-08, 07:08 AM
hoping for a speedy and successful recovery!

emjaya
05-07-08, 07:21 AM
Poor little fella. He looks all sad and sorry. :(

How did he break his arm?

Insomniac
05-07-08, 08:47 AM
Best Wishes WB. PT will be tough, but well worth it in the end.

eiregosod
05-07-08, 09:16 AM
here's to a quick physio period :)

nrc
05-07-08, 09:18 AM
Wow, you guys and gals are great. Thank you for the support.

I guess I trust you enough to see the kid... here's a pic. Boss, I'll delete it after a couple days, I promise.

No worries. Just update it with a happier one when he's all better. :) :thumbup:

SteveH
05-07-08, 09:33 AM
Looks like he'll need daily trips to Dairy Queen. :thumbup:

How long will he be in the cast?

anait
05-07-08, 10:21 AM
Man, it hurts to see a kid wheeled away to surgery.

It does. Thoughts and prayers, WB. I'd tell you to give him extra hugs, but I'm sure you've already thought of that. :)

Classic Apex
05-07-08, 10:48 AM
: positive vibes :

TKGAngel
05-07-08, 11:14 AM
What a trooper. Here's to a good recovery period for both son and parents.

Andrew Longman
05-07-08, 11:41 AM
Spending a few nights in the er/hospital with your kid is quite the reality check.

No kidding.

Good luck. :thumbup:

We'll be thinking of you both.

WickerBill
05-07-08, 08:21 PM
I was concerned about posting the picture, because, ya know, you'd all figure out I was caucasian.

He's figured out how to play the xbox with one hand, and he just whupped me at Star Wars Legos. With one hand.

I'll whip his butt at GTA4 though

KIDDING!

TravelGal
05-07-08, 09:01 PM
Just caught up with this. I'm so glad it over. For BOTH of you.

Funny but the others think he looks all sad and I think he looks like "come near me again and ^&*{(0*^%#@%(" !!!!

Seriously, he's obviously got his mind set that this is going to work as do all of us. Prayers and peace through the PT.

grungex
05-07-08, 11:47 PM
Best of luck, and here's to a speedy recovery! :thumbup:

TravelGal
05-31-08, 01:13 AM
So how is it going? Good news, I hope.

WickerBill
05-31-08, 10:19 AM
He got his (first) cast off on Friday. I wish I could show you what happened, because my words won't suffice, but anyway: the doctor said to him, as soon as the cast was cut off, "Let's see you pull that finger down" (meaning his index finger which hasn't moved much for two years). Imagine his elbow is on a table with his forearm pointed straight up in the air, hand and fingers extended, and the doc is telling him to curl his index finger down like this:

http://dedalvs.free.fr/images/slipa/handshape/fdot.gif

So the boy does as he's told, and the finger folds down like nothing has ever been wrong with it. TWO YEARS his finger's been paralyzed pointing straight out. I'm man enough to admit that my eyes filled up with tears when that happened. I wasn't man enough to let my boy see me that way though.

He still has a long way to go -- independent movement of his fingers is very difficult for him because of the tendon transfers, and his thumb is so incredibly tight that he can't even give a proper thumbs-up yet, so he has a lot of physical therapy in front of him. That being said, it looks like he will get to a place where he's got 80 to 85% use of his hand again, which means he'll be able to grab things off a table, hold and balance things in his hand, type, etc., without much problem. He'll never be a pianist or guitarist, but I bet he could be a goalkeeper....

Thanks for asking.

Andrew Longman
05-31-08, 10:51 AM
Wow. So Cool :thumbup:

nrc
05-31-08, 11:16 AM
Wonderful news!

KLang
05-31-08, 11:26 AM
Great News WB. :thumbup:

Don Quixote
05-31-08, 12:01 PM
Great!

grungex
05-31-08, 12:01 PM
That is wonderful to hear. :thumbup:

Insomniac
05-31-08, 12:49 PM
:thumbup: Great news!

Ankf00
05-31-08, 12:51 PM
:thumbup:

oddlycalm
05-31-08, 01:55 PM
Outstanding. :thumbup:

oc

Indy
06-01-08, 12:56 AM
Made my day to hear it. :thumbup:

cameraman
06-01-08, 02:29 AM

emjaya
06-01-08, 03:11 AM
:) :thumbup:

Dave99
06-01-08, 03:20 AM
Glad to hear he'll be ok afterall, WB. :thumbup:

Was the procedure similar to the Tommy John surgery?

G.
06-01-08, 06:11 AM
Don't sweat the waterworks, ex-Boss.

Me? I just got a bit of dust in my eye.

TravelGal
06-01-08, 06:49 AM
Super news! I noticed a bit of dust in here as I read it too.

Like I said (I think) before, I had tendon surgery (not replacement) on my right wrist/thumb/index finger. It took a couple of years to get it fully functional again because I didn't do any formal PT, just let it slooooooooowly stretch. I'm sure the PT will make the thumb much better much quicker.

Whoooooohoooooooo. Give him a hug for all of us. A take a pat on your own back too. Not easy stuff to watch the little ones in pain.

dando
06-01-08, 10:15 AM
So the boy does as he's told, and the finger folds down like nothing has ever been wrong with it. TWO YEARS his finger's been paralyzed pointing straight out. I'm man enough to admit that my eyes filled up with tears when that happened. I wasn't man enough to let my boy see me that way though.

He still has a long way to go -- independent movement of his fingers is very difficult for him because of the tendon transfers, and his thumb is so incredibly tight that he can't even give a proper thumbs-up yet, so he has a lot of physical therapy in front of him. That being said, it looks like he will get to a place where he's got 80 to 85% use of his hand again, which means he'll be able to grab things off a table, hold and balance things in his hand, type, etc., without much problem. He'll never be a pianist or guitarist, but I bet he could be a goalkeeper....

Thanks for asking.

Good work, WB. Brett Favre wouldn't have cried either. :gomer:

Great news! :thumbup:

-Kevin

WickerBill
06-01-08, 03:04 PM
I love me some Off Camber. Thanks everyone :)