PDA

View Full Version : ALMS @ Long Beach

Brickman
04-23-08, 12:36 AM
Finally was able to record it at 1:00 AM Monday morning. :thumbup:

Good racing and much better aerial views than expected. Really want to hear that Audi in person.

manic mechanic
04-23-08, 12:47 AM
Finally was able to record it at 1:00 AM Monday morning. :thumbup:

Good racing and much better aerial views than expected. Really want to hear that Audi in person.

It was even better in person, 'brick.

That's the thing about the Audi.. You DON'T hear it over the sounds of
other cars. A rather amazing vehicle, IMHO... 1000+hp (unrestricted) and a smaller (on-track) "carbon footprint" than most other race cars of its day.

You shoulda been there!

manic

Brickman
04-23-08, 09:39 PM

other cars. A rather amazing vehicle, IMHO... 1000+hp (unrestricted) and a smaller (on-track) "carbon footprint" than most other race cars of its day.

You shoulda been there!

manic

Wife's family flew in for a baby shower... :(

I had them on my schedule for May, but that has been derailed by more important things.

miatanut
04-25-08, 12:40 AM

You shoulda been there!

manic

I can't stand the Audis, but I was impressed by how quiet it was when I saw it in Portland. I enjoy noisy racing cars, but it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me, especially at Portland, where there are on-going NIMBY issues. The Audi shows you can have a kick-ass racing car without a lot of noise. :thumbup:

NismoZ
04-29-08, 09:23 AM
So did Rufus at Indy, but loud carried the day...the rest of the decade AND century! Whooosh!! Parnelli called it "Silent Sam." Interesting hearing the tires slap over the track surface tar crack filler. I'd never heard that before...or since. My guess is those late 60s turbines were quiter than the Audis of today (especially on approach) but I'm not certain. I remember a Lear "Vapordyne" steam powered design around '69 that may have had them both covered. (soundwise) I don't think a running prototype ever made it to the track but it was a beautiful clean design for the day. Pic anyone?:):)

Brickman
04-29-08, 09:07 PM
So did Rufus at Indy, but loud carried the day...the rest of the decade AND century! Whooosh!! Parnelli called it "Silent Sam." Interesting hearing the tires slap over the track surface tar crack filler. I'd never heard that before...or since. My guess is those late 60s turbines were quiter than the Audis of today (especially on approach) but I'm not certain. I remember a Lear "Vapordyne" steam powered design around '69 that may have had them both covered. (soundwise) I don't think a running prototype ever made it to the track but it was a beautiful clean design for the day. Pic anyone?:):)

http://www.kruseinternational.com/images/pics/2000/AUBSPR00/820.jpg

Brickman
04-29-08, 09:10 PM
http://www.kruseinternational.com/images/pics/2000/AUBFALL00/690.jpg

http://www.kruseinternational.com/results/return.asp?MAKE=LEAR&RESULTS=1

Indy
04-29-08, 09:16 PM
My guess is those late 60s turbines were quiter than the Audis of today (especially on approach) but I'm not certain.

I have seen them both, though the turbine only on less-than-full-speed demonstration runs.

I am thinking you may be right, at least if you are thinking in terms of decibels. The turbines, however, had a particular sound that was more piercing due to the high pitch, while the Audis almost feel subsonic at times.

miatanut
04-30-08, 01:14 AM
The turbine car got killed by the usual USAC/Hulman-George BS at Indy, or silent WOULD have carried the day.

And guess what!? We are now back to the Hulman-George BS.

Glad for a couple places which remain where we can call BS where we see it. :thumbup:

NismoZ
04-30-08, 01:03 PM
Thanks Brick.Whoa, that Vapor thing would have run FREON in a closed loop system with NO emissions...until it smacked the wall! The turbines weren't banned as I recall they were just restricted so much they became uncompetitive. Can't let technology shake things up too much.:D