PDA

View Full Version : The Last Hurrah

nrc
04-20-08, 07:47 PM
Not a bad race all things considered. It seemed like a few teams suffered from the lack of preparation on the DP-01s but considering all the new faces not bad at all.

Pity that Wilson dropped out with mechanical problems, that could have been a good battle.

Tracy ends his Champ Card days in typical fashion - mechanical problems brough on by his own aggression.

Vasser puts in a good drive straight off the couch. Just one error in a new car may have prevented a top 6.

The TV coverage was nearly unbearable. Scott Goodyear channels Unca Bobby and brings us back to the days of reminders about tubeless tires. The fawning over Danica was as annoying as expected but went over the top when the last ten minutes of the race were turned into a Danica infomercial. Why do we need to see Danica in split screen the entire time when there's actual racing going on?

Thank you Champ Car. I will miss you. I hope that someday we'll see a return of "Real Racing, Real Sport".

gjc2
04-20-08, 07:54 PM
Now I have to ask myself a question. Do I want to see the Crapwagon league to develop into a world class series that rivals what CART was, or do I want TG to fall flat on his face and the IRL continue to be an irrelevant series with the exception of its one big event? Do I like open wheel racing more than I dislike TG? I haven't decided yet.

dando
04-20-08, 07:57 PM
Young Rahal has a bit of PT in him.

Stoopid Mario on the podium. :saywhat: (please Lord, not him @ Indy....I may hafta watch that) :gomer:

I had my hopes when Beeker was doing the race since he did the ALMS race for ABC. I knew it was going to be a looooonng broadcast when it opened with a Danica montage, and not vintage CCWS/LBGP. :irked:

The broadcast crew alone is enough to keep me from watching ICS. :yuck:

Audios, C^RT/CCWS. It was fun while it lasted. *sad*

-Kevin

cart7
04-20-08, 08:02 PM
Now I have to ask myself a question. Do I want to see the Crapwagon league to develop into a world class series that rivals what CART was, or do I want TG to fall flat on his face and the IRL continue to be an irrelevant series with the exception of its one big event? Do I like open wheel racing more than I dislike TG? I haven't decided yet.

Let it go.

I doubt Indy car racing will ever reach anything close to what CART was without the active participation of those that helped make CART what it was. Those guys are now in place to make it happen.

I fully expect the IRL to be fully assimilated into CART II, with TG running the thing by 2010.

oddlycalm
04-20-08, 08:07 PM
Nice to hear the turbos one last time. I was hoping Power and Wilson would fight it out but it wasn't to be.

Anteater called from the track to give me a last blast of turbo Cosworth goodness and even more than the broadcast it brought the intensity of the sound. Sigh...

The only purpose the ABC broadcast crew serves is to provide fodder for pressdog's blogs. They take douchebaggery to a new level.:shakehead Their target audience must be something like 12yr olds with room temperature IQ's.

Sad to have it gone, though it was a faint shadow of it's former self.

oc

Winston Wolfe
04-20-08, 08:08 PM
there were alot of emotions going around at the track on Friday and Sat, especially in the garage \ paddock area, where fans can get real close to the drivers and crew.
At the time of the autograph session, there were some fans yelling at the crew members who were wearing "IRL" or IndyCar series logos on their team shirts... and all of the motor coaches had HONDA, or IRL \ ICS logos, so it was rather confusing for the casual fans. I also stood next to a fan who was decked out in CCWS gear, speaking with Oriol and saying that this whole think stinks, that TG this, and TG that.... Oriol says "look, this will be a memory to everyone in 2-3 years and the sport will be healthier for it", or words to that effect.
It was definitely sad to see the end of the turbo era... I have lots of mpegs, and plenty of video of the cars on thier last "real" day of racing at LBGP !

Insomniac
04-20-08, 08:24 PM
It was a pretty standard CC race. It went off well with the standing start (only one car stalled) and there were few yellows as well. Not too much excitement, but not a bad race by any means. Did PT clip the wall or did it step out because the air was letting out already? I tried to freeze frame through it, but I couldn't tell. I didn't see any new black marks but the back end did step out. Are there any other drivers besides Danica in the IRL? Jack Arute back. :yuck: Will Power = One of the best Road Course driver's anywhere? Did trish give KK some of what she was smoking? ;)

Goodbye ChampCar/CART. Thanks for what you gave me over the years.

Don Quixote
04-20-08, 08:44 PM
Pretty good race. The cars sounded great. :cry:
As for the Danica love fest at the end of the race, OMG kill me now. She is one of those people that use the word "I" in every sentence. Little self absorbed bitch, it was unwatchable. That's it for me. :shakehead

RusH
04-20-08, 08:47 PM
Let it go.

I doubt Indy car racing will ever reach anything close to what CART was without the active participation of those that helped make CART what it was. Those guys are now in place to make it happen.

I fully expect the IRL to be fully assimilated into CART II, with TG running the thing by 2010.

If he runs it like the Hulmans ran USAC, a one race series...USACII will help history to repeat itself....but a watered down CARTII run by Tony is more likely.
I don`t know what OC will look like in a week, so I`ll say my goodbye now just in case :gomer:

KLang
04-20-08, 09:02 PM
I recorded it.

I fired it up to skim through. Scott Goodyear? Danica? WTF?

Stop. Delete. No thanks. :thumdown:

rosawendel
04-20-08, 09:31 PM
an absolute joy to watch. excruciating to listen to.

STD
04-20-08, 09:38 PM

Good luck with that. :laugh: