PDA

View Full Version : F111 v Pelican

emjaya
04-19-08, 09:15 AM
AN F-111 was left "shredded" and incapacitated and was forced to make a spectacular emergency landing after hitting a pelican.

The jet was flying at 900m on a test bombing raid at Evans Head, northern NSW, when a pelican struck the fibreglass nose and was sucked into an engine.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23563691-2,00.html

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/emjaya/F111vpelican.jpg

Cam
04-19-08, 02:23 PM
WTF? We are still using F111's? :saywhat:

G.
04-19-08, 02:30 PM
WTF? We are still using F111's? :saywhat:And pelicans.

I myself would be on the pelican's team, personally.

nrc
04-19-08, 02:35 PM
I always liked the Aardvark. If they'd had to eject the populous would have thought they were getting a visit from outer space. :)

http://www.f-111.net/KevinCoyne/FB-68-243-module.jpg

dando
04-19-08, 02:43 PM
WTF? We are still using F111's? :saywhat:

http://www.australianflyingcorps.org/article/73/read/f111s_in_the_tucson_boneyard

Y'all afraid of being invaded by the land of Hobits? ;) :gomer:

-Kevin

Cam
04-19-08, 02:47 PM
http://www.australianflyingcorps.org/article/73/read/f111s_in_the_tucson_boneyard

Y'all afraid of being invaded by the land of Hobits? ;) :gomer:

-Kevin

New Zealand. :gomer:

dando
04-19-08, 02:51 PM
New Zealand. :gomer:

Dat was my point, yo. ;)

-Kevin

rabbit
04-19-08, 03:02 PM
WTF? We are still using F111's? :saywhat:And boomerangs. :)

Cam
04-19-08, 03:02 PM
Dat was my point, yo. ;)

-Kevin

Dude! It's 3AM here. I've been out all night playing poker downing EB and snarfing down excellent bbq ribs made by a yank that now lives here. Now on the Bundy, and you expect me to get the reference connecting the hobbit and NZ? Specially when I have no clue about any of that Tolkien stuff... :irked:

coolhand
04-19-08, 03:05 PM
Did Dr. Marlo Kopp have anything to say about this? :rofl:

G.
04-19-08, 03:17 PM
I always liked the Aardvark was cool. If they'd had to eject the populous would have thought they were getting a visit from outer space. :)

The image add really prevented you from getting the first Official Paffpost award.
:D

oddlycalm
04-19-08, 03:29 PM
Pretty high pucker factor on that one. :eek:

oc

stroker
04-19-08, 06:20 PM
the 'Vark is just another shining example of how American Ingenuity and decades of thowing metric tons of money at a bad idea can ultimately result in an almost-acceptable product.

opinionated ow
04-19-08, 09:37 PM
the 'Vark is just another shining example of how American Ingenuity and decades of thowing metric tons of money at a bad idea can ultimately result in an almost-acceptable product.

if you guys had given it just a little longer to prove itself, you would have had a damned good product on your hands.

stroker
04-19-08, 11:25 PM
We flew the sumbitch 30 years, how much longer did we need to give it?

:saywhat:

nrc
04-20-08, 12:05 AM
if you guys had given it just a little longer to prove itself, you would have had a damned good product on your hands.

The RAAF is retiring them soon also. It's an economic reality that with aircraft costing so much to build, fly, and maintain fewer types are being pressed into service in more roles.

oddlycalm
04-20-08, 03:56 AM
I'm guessing that the 30 minute flight home over the suburbs with one burner out and the world record for 'most comprehensive delamination of a composite material' whipping around was no picnic. Good job getting it on the ground.

And BTW, who the hell cleared that pelican to 3000ft. ? Was it a new long range surveillance pelican or just a regular pelican that ate a bunch of flying fish...? :gomer:

oc

emjaya
04-20-08, 04:31 AM
I'm guessing that the 30 minute flight home over the suburbs with one burner out and the world record for 'most comprehensive delamination of a composite material' whipping around was no picnic. Good job getting it on the ground.

And BTW, who the hell cleared that pelican to 3000ft. ? Was it a new long range surveillance pelican or just a regular pelican that ate a bunch of flying fish...? :gomer:

oc

I was waiting for someone to pick up on the pelicans height. Funny thing is, whenever I seen F111's on their way down to Evans Head, they have been way less than 3000ft.

One I saw I swear was no more the 500ft above the beach at Lennox Head. As it flew along the beach you could see the pepole react as the sound hit them.

The best sight was the 100 odd school children walking down for a snorkling lesson. They scattered every which way like a flock of seagulls. Very funny. :laugh:

Kiwifan
04-20-08, 06:10 AM
Dat was my point, yo. ;)

-Kevin

Mate, I feel for ya. I know you were dealing with an Aussie but it was pretty obvious. I thought. :)

Rusty. (In Aussie in two weeks. :) )

Cam
04-20-08, 03:50 PM
Rusty. (In Aussie in two weeks. :) )

Thanks for the heads up. I will give immigrasi the warning. ;)

oddlycalm
04-20-08, 05:17 PM
The best sight was the 100 odd school children walking down for a snorkling lesson. They scattered every which way like a flock of seagulls. Very funny. :laugh: I'll bet, the shock wave probably knocked them a couple meters.

A few years back I was on my Harley heading west to Palm Springs around 5:30am with the highway to myself and still half asleep/hung over when a pair of Marine F18's went over 100ft. above the deck in terrain following mode on their way from their base in Yuma, AZ to 29 Palms, CA for war games. The shock wave took my 800lb lead sled (an easy 1000lb. with me and my stuff on it) across two lanes and out to the edge of the pull-off pavement. :eek: :laugh: By the time I wrestled the bike under control and looked up they were miles away and a few seconds later they disappeared over a saddle ridge. If I hadn't been riding on the left side of the left lane to avoid the rough pavement on the right I'd have been navigating the desert at 70mph.

oc

Kiwifan
04-20-08, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I will give immigrasi the warning. ;)

Which Airport? :p

I'm off to visit em seeing as how he has the house to himself. Might invite Spicoli to help with the party as I'm not much good at that type of thing. ;)

Take care Aussies, at least you have planes. :rofl:

Rusty.

manic mechanic
04-23-08, 01:06 AM
Which Airport? :p

I'm off to visit em seeing as how he has the house to himself. Might invite Spicoli to help with the party as I'm not much good at that type of thing. ;)

Take care Aussies, at least you have planes.

Rusty.

Dood,

Get some Inner Circle Rum and a case of Cooper's (or Boag's) ale and you should be covered.
Ya gots to remember that spikkly only recently acquired a taste for "finer libations"... :laugh::rofl:

manic