PDA

View Full Version : EARTHQUAKE!!!!

IlliniRacer
04-18-08, 08:30 AM
5.2 on the Indiana/Illinois border at 4:37 this morning. Woke both my wife and I up.

I realize that for all of you on the west coast, a 5.2 is like a German Shepherd breaking wind, but to us flat landers, it gets all in a tizzy.

WickerBill
04-18-08, 08:36 AM
I was on my way to work... the highway didn't split in half so I didn't notice.

JLMannin
04-18-08, 08:52 AM
I was in my pantry browsing foe breakfast. For about 20 seconds, I could hear all the boxes and bottles vibrating, like when out washing machine is spinning at the highest speed and out of balance. Then, the whole house shook for about two seconds or so, and that was the end. My wife was in the shower and did not notice a thing. My 14 year old son was woken by the quake. My other two kids slept through the whole thing.

dando
04-18-08, 08:59 AM
Hmmm, and here I thought it was just my wife breaking wind. ;) Must be the Madrid fault acting up again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

-Kevin

Audi_A4
04-18-08, 09:02 AM
I heard that it was the first time your bed shook in years :gomer: (sorry couldn't resist that cheezy joke)

extramundane
04-18-08, 09:19 AM
My brother apparently felt it in Monticello. He didn't think much of it at first- apparently when you have 5 kids between 3 and 13, little things like the house shaking for several seconds isn't terribly unusual. :)

IlliniRacer
04-18-08, 09:58 AM
Hmmm, and here I thought it was just my wife breaking wind. ;) Must be the Madrid fault acting up again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

-Kevin

Actually they are saying it was the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone, Basin-Ozark Dome region. Whatever the hell that this. Still, a great excuse to crank up a little Uncle Tupelo on the iPod

emjaya
04-18-08, 10:09 AM
EARTHQUAKES!!!! Dear god. What are you trying to do to me? :eek:

My wife and daughter are somewhere on the road in Indiana and you're having earthquakes. Where did this New Madrid Seismic Zone come from?

I thought all that earthquake stuff just happened on the West Coast. Now you're telling me there's a fault line though the middle of the country.

They're going to be only fifty odd miles away from New Madrid next week.

It's going to be a long two weeks. :gomer: ;)

NB: You learn some really interesting stuff at OC, imho. Thanks for the link Dando. :)

extramundane
04-18-08, 10:27 AM
Still, a great excuse to crank up a little Uncle Tupelo on the iPod

Funny, that was the first thing I thought of too. Anodyne it is. :thumbup:

dando
04-18-08, 10:52 AM
EARTHQUAKES!!!! Dear god. What are you trying to do to me? :eek:

My wife and daughter are somewhere on the road in Indiana and you're having earthquakes. Where did this New Madrid Seismic Zone come from?

I thought all that earthquake stuff just happened on the West Coast. Now you're telling me there's a fault line though the middle of the country.

They're going to be only fifty odd miles away from New Madrid next week.

It's not uncommon to have quakes in the central US (mountains are formed by plates colliding), but they are of lower magnitude usually. They even have them near Cleveland. I remember hearing about the New Madrid fault back in the 80s after I was walking back home from my summer job when they had a quake near St. Lou the day Pope JP I was shot. :saywhat: Strange day indeed.

http://ohiodnr.com/geosurvey/html/earthmap/tabid/8291/Default.aspx

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/

Speaking of quakes, oc's got some interesting stuff happening off the coast of Puddle City:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080416-oregon-quakes.html

:eek:

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
04-18-08, 10:55 AM
I realize that for all of you on the west coast, a 5.2 is like a German Shepherd breaking wind...

We don't get too many here, but when we do it's usually just a relief that Mt. Hood hasn't blown itself in half.:laugh:

indyfan31
04-18-08, 10:55 AM
We've had a 5.1 that caused building collapses and killed people here, 5.2 is nothing to sneeze at. I still prefer the quake to the tornado, at least the pieces of your house are in one neat pile, not in the next county.

Napoleon
04-18-08, 12:45 PM
They even have them near Cleveland.

I have been through 3 of them. The first time it happened was '86 and at that time my apartment was above the boiler room. I ran outside thinking it was the boiler about to go.

Gnam
04-18-08, 01:11 PM
Did anyone notice their pets acting strangely?
Was it unseasonably warm a few days before?
Did anyone see a compression wave move through the ground?

TravelGal
04-18-08, 02:32 PM
First earthquake was ever in was in West Lafayette, IN. As you say, somewhat mild compared to the 6.7 Northridge quake :gomer: Heck sonny, we had AFTERSHOCKS bigger than your quake. LOL! I must admit that now I hardly make note unless it is at least 4.0. Still 5.2 is a good roll. Glad no one was hurt or otherwise traumatized.

meadors
04-18-08, 03:43 PM
I was in LA in 1999 (I think) when a 4.2 or there bouts hit just east of LA. I was in the Hyatt about 14 floors up when it woke me up. I could feel the building swaying, and creaking. It was rather weird to me, just because of the creaking noise more than anything.

cameraman
04-18-08, 04:08 PM
Salt Lake City proper consists of a several thousand unreinforced brick homes built over the last 140 years. They did not start using frame construction here until the 1950s. So you have all these brick homes built on a giant bowl of geological jello that sits on an earthquake fault that is guaranteed to pop a 9.0 sometime in the next millennia or two. :eek:

I just hope I ain't here when it happens.:shakehead

indyfan31
04-18-08, 04:16 PM
I was in LA in 1999 (I think) when a 4.2 or there bouts hit just east of LA. I was in the Hyatt about 14 floors up when it woke me up. I could feel the building swaying, and creaking. It was rather weird to me, just because of the creaking noise more than anything.

Yup, that would've been the night before my wedding, with about 50 out-of-state guests staying in town. My way of saying "...welcome to California".

dando
04-18-08, 08:28 PM
Did anyone notice their pets acting strangely?
Was it unseasonably warm a few days before?
Did anyone see a compression wave move through the ground?

Dude, it was @ 4:30 AM. :saywhat: It was a bit warmer than normal in the midwest, but nothing extreme. Today was a bit more warmer than the past 2-3 days.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-19-08, 06:49 AM
I thought all that earthquake stuff just happened on the West Coast.

A few year back there was an earthquake centered 3 miles up the road. Rather than a rumble it was just a huge BANG. Like an explosion. Stuff got knocked off shelves at my house and the wife and kids were pretty freaked at first. For several hours the State Police were running over half the county looking for something that blew up. Finally, they somehow figured out it was an earthquake.

chop456
04-19-08, 09:03 AM
Anodyne it is.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's the first thing I think of every time I hear the term "New Madrid", too.

I was in a high rise in Chicago (awake), and didn't feel a thing. :gomer:

G.
04-19-08, 02:32 PM
Slept through it.

It woke up the MiL in her Chicago hi-rise.

dando
04-19-08, 04:33 PM
More 411 on midwest US quakes:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080419/D904VLJ80.html

-Kevin

morgahorse
04-19-08, 10:21 PM
I was awaken to my wife elbowing me and complaining that if I was at it again could I have the courtesy and not wake her.:\

Dirk Diggler
04-19-08, 11:00 PM
I was awaken to my wife elbowing me and complaining that if I was at it again could I have the courtesy and not wake her.:\

Tell her if she had any courtesy, you wouldn't have to do that in the first place.