PDA

View Full Version : A Brief History of CART

High Sided
04-17-08, 11:16 AM
Robins latest, a good summary of the past 30 years.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-a-brief-history-of-cart/

Patrick, Penske and God :tony: PPG

so who did kevin catch stealing cookies?

dando
04-17-08, 11:40 AM
Robins latest, a good summary of the past 30 years.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-a-brief-history-of-cart/

Patrick, Penske and God :tony: PPG

so who did kevin catch stealing cookies?

Perhaps someone can post a link to ChrisB's history of C^RT site. He has a good summary of open wheel's futility from the past 30 years. I had it bookmarked on an older machine, but I can't find a linky to it now. :(

-Kevin

ChrisB
04-17-08, 03:55 PM
Hello! I still lurk here and other places. After years of moving my pages around between various ISP's, I finally took out a domain name and hopefully it'll stay at this URL even if I switch hosting providers:

http://www.chrisbiordi.com/race/cartirl.htm

It looks like I could finally put this page to bed on 2/22/08 when they made the merger agreement public.

Yea.. its easy to point out CART's biggest flaw as "greed" ... but let's not forget that the IRL is repeating USAC's biggest flaw... that all the emphasis goes to Indy, and the rest of the series is an afterthought.

Because of that business model, it's very plausable that someday a new crop of owners may rise up because they don't like the way the rest of the series is being run outside of May.

dando
04-17-08, 04:33 PM
Hello! I still lurk here and other places. After years of moving my pages around between various ISP's, I finally took out a domain name and hopefully it'll stay at this URL even if I switch hosting providers:

http://www.chrisbiordi.com/race/cartirl.htm

It looks like I could finally put this page to bed on 2/22/08 when they made the merger agreement public.

Yea.. its easy to point out CART's biggest flaw as "greed" ... but let's not forget that the IRL is repeating USAC's biggest flaw... that all the emphasis goes to Indy, and the rest of the series is an afterthought.

Because of that business model, it's very plausable that someday a new crop of owners may rise up because they don't like the way the rest of the series is being run outside of May.

I knew you were still around. :) I seriously doubt there is an owner involved in ICS that would have the gumption to challenge FTG. This sport is destined to become a niche series that will just continue the death spiral until the cabs take over the 500. Previously I questioned this theory, but I just see the 500 running cabs and the BY 400 a second date @ Indy or replaced by the CC 600 w/in 5 years.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
04-17-08, 05:07 PM
I knew you were still around. :) I seriously doubt there is an owner involved in ICS that would have the gumption to challenge FTG. This sport is destined to become a niche series that will just continue the death spiral until the cabs take over the 500. Previously I questioned this theory, but I just see the 500 running cabs and the BY 400 a second date @ Indy or replaced by the CC 600 w/in 5 years.

-Kevin

It's hard to argue with that. the next two years will be critical in righting the wrong. Are they up to it? Depends if they can keep TG out on the links and let Cotman and some of the other guys with brains run this thing.

dando
04-17-08, 05:15 PM
It's hard to argue with that. the next two years will be critical in righting the wrong. Are they up to it? Depends if they can keep TG out on the links and let Cotman and some of the other guys with brains run this thing.

I'm still hoping for a whirley bird crash. ;)

-Kevin

SteveH
04-17-08, 05:31 PM
but let's not forget that the IRL is repeating USAC's biggest flaw... that all the emphasis goes to Indy, and the rest of the series is an afterthought.

In a related note, the IRL is running the Edmonton race on Sat. since IMS is hosting the Brickyard on Sunday. This will hurt the vendors as well as the gate. But of course, its helps IMS. :thumdown:

FTG
04-17-08, 06:05 PM
I knew you were still around. :) I seriously doubt there is an owner involved in ICS that would have the gumption to challenge FTG. This sport is destined to become a niche series that will just continue the death spiral until the cabs take over the 500.

Funny how "niche" was laughable in January and is inevitable now.

As long as TG is putting money into the owners pockets there will be no arguments, but if the series ever does become profitable TG's stupidity will once again be a problem.

dando
04-17-08, 07:21 PM
but if the series ever does become profitable TG's stupidity will once again be a problem.

With the current state of the US auto industry and gobal economic turmoil, I don't see how that's possible...unless GOOG decides to become the next Northern Light. :gomer: :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin