PDA

View Full Version : Super Best Friends in Super Deep Trouble?

TrueBrit
04-16-08, 03:30 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7350699.stm

pchall
04-16-08, 04:04 PM
I can't imagine anyone wanting to put more money into that mess.

oddlycalm
04-16-08, 09:02 PM
This is another reason Max should be in line for immediate retirement. First he says the future is customer cars and Super Aguri and Toro Rosso spring up, then he says no customer cars so these teams are instantly worth less than yesterdays newspaper. :thumdown:

oc

Chaos
04-25-08, 08:51 AM
that team is a cluster****

robot9000
04-25-08, 11:23 AM
This is another reason Max should be in line for immediate retirement. First he says the future is customer cars and Super Aguri and Toro Rosso spring up, then he says no customer cars so these teams are instantly worth less than yesterdays newspaper. :thumdown:

oc

Exactly !!! How much $$ has been wasted btw Agari and Red Bull II? $50M? $100M? Not chump change by any measure....:confused:

eiregosod
04-25-08, 12:06 PM
red bull ges more advertising and Aguri have scored points. not to mention the attarction of Sato in the land of the rising sun.

$100m is chump change in todays money.

Gnam
04-25-08, 12:14 PM
Second best hats evah!

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5789/2007091301lx6.jpg

oddlycalm
05-04-08, 02:33 PM
Interesting plot twist. Looks like Nick Fry has a dog in the fight. Has the money Honda has given to Super Aguri coming out of his budget?
Fry has Super Aguri trucks denied access to track. (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67142)

oc

Spicoli
05-06-08, 07:33 AM
Super Aguri is gone.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/166743/super-aguri-pull-out-of-formula-one

Super Aguri pull out of Formula One
Tue, 06/05/2008 - 09:50

Events | Japan | Finance | Motor Racing

The Super Aguri team withdrew from the Formula One World Championship with immediate effect because of a lack of funding.

The survival of the team had been reported to be in doubt after mooted buyers the Dubai-based Magma Group pulled out at the last minute.

The team has wound up its racing activities and will not compete at this weekend's Turkish Grand Prix.

Team founder Aguri Suzuki, said: "Regretfully I must inform you that the team will be ceasing racing activities.

"The loss of financial backing put the team into financial difficulties.

"With the help of Honda, we somehow managed to keep the team going, but we find it difficult to establish a way to continue the activities in the future so I have concluded to withdraw.

:(

eiregosod
05-06-08, 08:44 AM
where will Sato end up?

Sean O'Gorman
05-06-08, 08:45 AM
Who is this "Magma" group?

Cam
05-06-08, 10:36 AM
So much for 24 on the grid. Will Richards even bother trying now?:cry:

dando
05-06-08, 11:29 AM
Who is this "Magma" group?

IIRC, it's a group of former auto execs (Ford & GM, mebbe others) using a Dubai fund for funding. There's a reference to them in the first article linked to in this thread.

-Kevin

eiregosod
05-06-08, 11:57 AM
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=34721

ding!

Insomniac
05-06-08, 12:02 PM
So much for 24 on the grid. Will Richards even bother trying now?:cry:

I thought Richards was done when they decided no customer cars.

Tony George
05-06-08, 12:24 PM
where will Sato end up?

EARL 500 :eek::tony:

extramundane
05-06-08, 12:48 PM
I thought Richards was done when they decided no customer cars.

That was my understanding as well. It would seem Prodrive has channeled most of what would have been its F1 resources into its sportscar efforts.

Thanks, Max. :mad::thumdown::shakehead

Chaos
05-06-08, 01:19 PM
Super Aguri was never stable since it started.

I am not surprised they are vaporizing.

oddlycalm
05-06-08, 07:36 PM
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=34721

ding! Agreed, these guys get it. What Super Aguri brought Honda has yet to deliver on. Brawn will probably do a good job because he is a capable guy, but Honda is making a mistake if they Aguri Suzuki over the side in favor of the likes of Nick Fry.

oc

eiregosod
05-06-08, 08:57 PM
Agreed, these guys get it. What Super Aguri brought Honda has yet to deliver on. Brawn will probably do a good job because he is a capable guy, but Honda is making a mistake if they Aguri Suzuki over the side in favor of the likes of Nick Fry.

oc

last year, pitpass ran a few guest editorials from what appears to be an anonymous honda insider. Just a matter of time before Ross brawn gets Fryed's job.

Chaos
05-07-08, 09:05 AM
last year, pitpass ran a few guest editorials from what appears to be an anonymous honda insider. Just a matter of time before Ross brawn gets Fryed's job.

I would not be surprised. NF has not delivered results.

Gnam
05-07-08, 01:18 PM
where will Sato end up?

YES! [/Ed McMahon]

Easy
05-07-08, 03:02 PM

Sato has a yen to try his hand at ovals.

Chaos
05-07-08, 03:59 PM
Drivers that lose F1 rides usually take one of these three paths:

LeMans (inc. the LeMans series in Europe)
Indy
DTM

If Sato were to end up in an Indycar, I would not be surprised.

eiregosod
05-07-08, 09:03 PM
how's about Formula Nippon :gomer: (if that still exists)

if Sato did indy, he'd be re-united with this old friend Tomas Wreckter.

emjaya
05-07-08, 09:32 PM
Drivers that lose F1 rides usually take one of these three paths:

LeMans (inc. the LeMans series in Europe)
Indy
DTM

If Sato were to end up in an Indycar, I would not be surprised.

Who has gone from F1 to the IRL? Some drivers went to CART/Champ Car, but I can only think of one who went to the IRL, Briscoe, and he didn't want to, afaik.

:confused:

Insomniac
05-07-08, 10:17 PM
Who has gone from F1 to the IRL? Some drivers went to CART/Champ Car, but I can only think of one who went to the IRL, Briscoe, and he didn't want to, afaik.

In case you missed it, CC is gone. :p

In all seriousness, while most here feel the IRL is pretty crappy, they're the current level (in terms of power, performance and budgets) below F1 in OWR.

I'd think the only place to go to keep your F1 hopes alive is testing (or GP2 if you have no F1 experience).

Chaos
05-07-08, 11:00 PM

Here are a few off the top of my head:
Vincenzo Sospiri
Briscoe (though, was a test driver)
Tomas Enge
Tora Takagi ( via CART)
Eliseo Salazar (via CART)

Rogue Leader
05-08-08, 12:17 AM
Vincenzo Sospiri - Sucked
Tomas Enge - Pothead
Tora Takagi ( via CART) - redefind suck
Eliseo Salazar (via CART) - The saladbar king of suckage

Only two that weren't pay drivers were Briscoe and Enge....

Chaos
05-08-08, 08:34 AM
Vincenzo Sospiri - Sucked
Tomas Enge - Pothead
Tora Takagi ( via CART) - redefind suck
Eliseo Salazar (via CART) - The saladbar king of suckage

Only two that weren't pay drivers were Briscoe and Enge....

describe it however you want, but it shows there are F1 drivers that went to IRL after.

Enge was talented. I have no idea what happened to him.

emjaya
05-08-08, 09:06 AM
describe it however you want, but it shows there are F1 drivers that went to IRL after.

I was just asking 'cause I didn't know. :\

pchall
05-08-08, 03:25 PM
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-super-aguri-withdraws-from-formula-1/

Chaos
05-08-08, 06:34 PM
I was just asking 'cause I didn't know. :\

no worries. I responding to Rogue Leader

Accipiter
05-08-08, 07:06 PM

He's destroying Sportscars at a furious rate.

Andrew Longman
05-11-08, 01:44 PM
Can anyone explain to me in small words what Peter Windsor said about why Super Aguri collapsed? The coffee hadn't kicked in but it was something about them not using the business model that F1 provides.

It also had something to do with Bernie's comments that F1 is very selective about the sponsors it lets in. No Rachael's Potato Chips I presume.

Insomniac
05-11-08, 01:54 PM
Can anyone explain to me in small words what Peter Windsor said about why Super Aguri collapsed? The coffee hadn't kicked in but it was something about them not using the business model that F1 provides.

It also had something to do with Bernie's comments that F1 is very selective about the sponsors it lets in. No Rachael's Potato Chips I presume.

Lack of commercial sponsorship. That's where the majority of a team's budget comes from. He chalked up the rest to $50M for TV/appearances, and a small portion to VIP hospitality and merchandising. Essentially, he said the remaining $150M of the average teams budget was commercial sponsorship.

Andrew Longman
05-11-08, 02:17 PM
And so why was Super Aguri not able to get sponsorship?

Why wasn't Minardi?

That Jordan, Spyker, Arrows, Prost, etc. keep failing seems to say that there is something wrong.

It seems that Windsor's piece showed a lot of people are making a lot of money off F1, just not the non-competitive teams, which keeps them non-competitive, which seems a problem

eiregosod
05-11-08, 03:24 PM
pouund for pound, Super Aguri were the best Honda team in f1, they had to be shut down.

Ankf00
05-11-08, 03:32 PM
of all the TV money raked in, only $600M makes its way to the teams goiing by that $50M/per reported.

pathetic.

Insomniac
05-11-08, 05:28 PM
And so why was Super Aguri not able to get sponsorship?

Why wasn't Minardi?

That Jordan, Spyker, Arrows, Prost, etc. keep failing seems to say that there is something wrong.

It seems that Windsor's piece showed a lot of people are making a lot of money off F1, just not the non-competitive teams, which keeps them non-competitive, which seems a problem

I'd assume a part of it is the ROI. If you run at the back, you're an afterthought unless you're holding up a leader when being lapped for the second time. Sponsors may pony up that money at first, but when you get barely there coverage it doesn't do much for the sponsor.

Chaos
05-12-08, 08:14 AM
With that in mind, you have to respect the longevity of Minardi despite always being last on the grid. They outlasted:

Arrows
Prost
Jordan
Spyker
Midland

Those are the few off the top of my head

oddlycalm
05-12-08, 03:33 PM
Now that Max and Bernie have turned back the threat of the manufacturers starting their own series they have no concern for fostering independent teams. I'm guessing we can expect to see 18 cars on the grid for '09 . :irked:

One aspect they may not have thought too much about is what happens if one of more of the manufacturers decide to withdraw, something that has happened time after time over the years. The industry is facing a major paradigm shift regarding energy efficiency and propulsion technology as well as a stagnant economy. What if Renault and Honda both suddenly withdrew as Ford did...? How long will Williams continue if they are virtually assured of never being contesting for wins again?

The sport is being grossly mismanaged by a pair of scum sucking power junkies that are draining off the money needed to adequately fund the future. The departure of tobacco money has left the same sized hole in F1 as it has in other racing series yet Bernie is only interested in how much more he can rake in for himself and his creature Max is allowed to continue to plunder the FIA. Meanwhile the FIA members are more concerned if Sebastian Loeb gets a haircut and a shave.... :gomer:

oc

Dirk Diggler
05-12-08, 04:42 PM

President of the Cheech and Chong Fan Club, I believe.

pchall
05-12-08, 04:56 PM
Returning to 18 cars on the grid probably means Bernie and Max can suck just that much more cash out of the whole deal.

Now that Max and Bernie have turned back the threat of the manufacturers starting their own series they have no concern for fostering independent teams. I'm guessing we can expect to see 18 cars on the grid for '09 . :irked:

oc

STD
05-12-08, 05:14 PM
pouund for pound, Super Aguri were the best Honda team in f1, they had to be shut down.

Must have been real embarrassing to the ex Barf and Prodrive boys at the 'factory' Honda team.
Nothing will stop the wrath of Brawn once the political pieces fall in place for him. I believe he is sitting back watching Fry mismanage another train wreck.
While what ever credit for small improvements go to his involvement.
Maybe they will hire a good Brit driver when this cycle is ran out of Dodge.