PDA

View Full Version : The Masters on ESPN

Insomniac
04-11-08, 04:01 PM
I usually don't watch golf on TV, but flipping around yesterday I landed on ESPN and they were showing the Masters. What struck me most (at least when I was watching for about 20 minutes) was that there was nothing on the screen. No sports ticker/crawl. No ESPN logo. No constant graphics about each golfer's current score, hole, etc. They'd throw up the golfer's name they had on camera for a few seconds and occasionally show scores.

Is this common? Does the PGA force them to do this? I wish everyone did it for all sports.

cameraman
04-11-08, 04:20 PM
Does the PGA force them to do this?

Yes

Don Quixote
04-11-08, 04:46 PM
Probably not the PGA. Its more likely the Augusta National Golf Club.

Insomniac
04-11-08, 04:47 PM
Yes

Good for them (and viewers)!

TrueBrit
04-11-08, 05:15 PM
Good for them (and viewers)!

Agreed...the constant scrolling headlines at the bottom of the screen and the in-show commercials for "What's coming up next" drive me to distraction...

WickerBill
04-11-08, 06:04 PM
It's absolutely NOT the PGA -- it's Augusta.

Notice Nantz is doing the ESPN coverage even though he's a CBS man? Evidentially a trade for CBS using Jay Bilas during the tournament.

Insomniac
04-11-08, 10:28 PM
I watched more today. Funny what HD and no annoyances do for you. :)

During a break, a guy from Augusta came on sand said they hoped we were enjoying the coverage with limited commercials. 56 mins vs 4 mins of commercials. And with no ads during the brosdcast on screen (like soccer).

Sean Malone
04-11-08, 11:01 PM
I only watch college golf. No wait, that's basketball. Never mind. :)

dando
04-11-08, 11:19 PM
I usually don't watch golf on TV, but flipping around yesterday I landed on ESPN and they were showing the Masters. What struck me most (at least when I was watching for about 20 minutes) was that there was nothing on the screen. No sports ticker/crawl. No ESPN logo. No constant graphics about each golfer's current score, hole, etc. They'd throw up the golfer's name they had on camera for a few seconds and occasionally show scores.

Is this common? Does the PGA force them to do this? I wish everyone did it for all sports.

Here's the 411 on the telecasts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_Tournament#Broadcasting

You should have caught some of the Par 3 Tourney on Wed. The golfers have their kids caddy, and Jack, Arnie & Gary were in a threesome. I saw them @ the Par 3 back in '03. Good fun. The Masters is one of the few gold tourneys I bother to watch. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-12-08, 10:04 AM
Here's the 411 on the telecasts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_Tournament#Broadcasting

You should have caught some of the Par 3 Tourney on Wed. The golfers have their kids caddy, and Jack, Arnie & Gary were in a threesome. I saw them @ the Par 3 back in '03. Good fun. The Masters is one of the few gold tourneys I bother to watch. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Thanks for the link. I couldn't imagine an NFL broadcast with no constant score/clock on the screen, no channel logo, no network TV show promos and a cap on the number of commercials (would also shorten the game some). Ohhh wait, that's how it was 15 years ago. They'd throw up down and distance for a few seconds before the snap and show the score/clock in and out of commercial breaks. Couple that with the first down line...

F1 comes the closest for racing. They do now have a crawl come up at the bottom every now and then through the broadcast. I'm not sure on the point of it given they show the number of pitstops and how far behind graphics already.

dando
04-12-08, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the link. I couldn't imagine an NFL broadcast with no constant score/clock on the screen, no channel logo, no network TV show promos and a cap on the number of commercials (would also shorten the game some). Ohhh wait, that's how it was 15 years ago. They'd throw up down and distance for a few seconds before the snap and show the score/clock in and out of commercial breaks. Couple that with the first down line...

F1 comes the closest for racing. They do now have a crawl come up at the bottom every now and then through the broadcast. I'm not sure on the point of it given they show the number of pitstops and how far behind graphics already.

I'll bet it drove the guys @ E$PN nuts that they couldn't alert viewers that SC was moved to the Deuce or News. :D Of course, when I really wanted the scroll on Friday to see who was leading ASAP, it wasn't there. :(

-Kevin

eiregosod
04-12-08, 04:22 PM
Truebrit's hero Bruce forsythe is at the master's this year, just being interviewed by BBC televeision right now.

:D

oddlycalm
04-12-08, 05:28 PM
It's absolutely NOT the PGA -- it's Augusta.

Notice Nantz is doing the ESPN coverage even though he's a CBS man? Evidentially a trade for CBS using Jay Bilas during the tournament. Yup, Nick Faldo as well. Big :thumbup: to venues that save the broadcasters from themselves.

Think what TG could have done since he took over IMS if he had an iota of taste or class...:shakehead

oc

eiregosod
04-12-08, 06:01 PM
Yup, Nick Faldo as well. Big :thumbup: to venues that save the broadcasters from themselves.

Think what TG could have done since he took over IMS if he had an iota of taste or class...:shakehead

oc

TG made Gweg Way the Tiger Woods of racing :laugh:

Insomniac
04-12-08, 06:50 PM
I'll bet it drove the guys @ E$PN nuts that they couldn't alert viewers that SC was moved to the Deuce or News. :D Of course, when I really wanted the scroll on Friday to see who was leading ASAP, it wasn't there. :(

-Kevin

Haha, you're the cause of all these screen widgets! :p Tune in for a while and wait. :D

dando
04-12-08, 07:18 PM
Haha, you're the cause of all these screen widgets! :p Tune in for a while and wait. :D

I'm actually hoping for a channel of just tickers. :p

It's difficult to be patient b/w turns bowling during a company outing. :)

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-12-08, 10:33 PM
I'm actually hoping for a channel of just tickers. :p

It's difficult to be patient b/w turns bowling during a company outing. :)

-Kevin

Use a cell phone. ;)

dando
04-13-08, 10:49 AM
Use a cell phone. ;)

Dude. It's unpossible to hold a beer and a bowling ball + a cell phone. :p Besides, I don't use one of them fancy smartphone thingies...I just pay as you go with a simple model so that Ank can't txt me when the Giants win the Super Bowl. :D

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-13-08, 05:11 PM
Dude. It's unpossible to hold a beer and a bowling ball + a cell phone. :p Besides, I don't use one of them fancy smartphone thingies...I just pay as you go with a simple model so that Ank can't txt me when the Giants win the Super Bowl. :D

-Kevin

I guess that leaves a newspaper. :)

ChampcarShark
04-14-08, 01:19 PM
I guess that leaves a newspaper. :)

what is that???? newspaper :confused: :confused: :confused:

Guess you mean the Internet

Ankf00
04-14-08, 03:30 PM

-Kevin

there is no one on this board w/ less tech gadgets than me. that said, get a real phone you goober. :gomer:

dando
04-14-08, 03:36 PM
there is no one on this board w/ less tech gadgets than me. that said, get a real phone you goober. :gomer:

I have a disorder from my daze in an ISP customer service call center that does not allow me to speak on a phone for more than a few minutes each day. :gomer: If I traveled more, mebbe I could justify paying ~$100, but I'm stuck near a keyboard most of the day, so I can't. I can hear the girls now in a few years, "BUT, DAD!". :irked:

http://callcentermovie.com

:D

-Kevin

emjaya
04-14-08, 09:06 PM
Who won? :confused:

Insomniac
04-14-08, 09:48 PM

Not Tiger. :gomer:

TravelGal
04-15-08, 02:11 AM

Trevor Immelman of South Africa.

Several years ago he was said to be the next Tiger Woods but he toiled along only winning one major. Yesterday he got the prize. Great shots and kept his head throughout.

emjaya
04-15-08, 07:32 AM
Thankyou T'gal. I starting to watch the last round, but monday mornings are a madhouse around here. :gomer:

Insomniac
04-15-08, 08:41 AM

Several years ago he was said to be the next Tiger Woods but he toiled along only winning one major. Yesterday he got the prize. Great shots and kept his head throughout.

He did drop the ball in the water and a sand trap in the last couple holes. It's a good thing Tiger and Snedeker had a hard time putting.

dando
04-15-08, 11:02 AM

He also had a bout with some health issues recently. He made some clutch shots down the stretch. After he put his tee shot in the bunker on 17, I thought he was about to pull a Van de Velde all over again.

http://espn.go.com/golfonline/british99/features/00001948.html

-Kevin