PDA

View Full Version : Ganassi Losing Target?

Andrew Longman
04-10-08, 11:38 AM
Being reported as rumor elsewhere that Chip may be losing Target as a Cup sponsor.

If true, that's significant if only because Chip and Target go back so far and the team has been a big part of their marketing plan to implement a strategy to move from a regional Midwestern chain to expand and take on the national stores (Sears, KMart and Walmart).

I remember seeing Target on Chip's cars for perhaps 7-8 years before they put their first store in Jersey.

Their commitment as business partners has been very deep and in his book AZ talked about their closeness and personal interest in the team, especially with the stuff they did together for St Jude's

But as with all retailers, Target is under pressure. They've also largely completed their expansion and creating name recognition is less of an issue. Of late, they also have not used either their ICS or NASCAR (esp. ICS) sponsorships very much in their marketing. Their old AZ, JV, JPM ads were brilliant, but nothing so much like that lately.

It doesn't help either that they haven't had much success on the track.

Anyway, plausible and not just any sponsorship. But Chip always will land with a seat at the table.

SteveH
04-10-08, 12:17 PM
Their old AZ, JV, JPM ads were brilliant, but nothing so much like that lately.

Snipe hunting was terrific. :thumbup:

indyfan31
04-10-08, 01:08 PM
That was the best one, with the RV races a close second. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
04-10-08, 01:17 PM
Was the AZ driving lesson a Target ad or a Honda ad. That was my favorite. :D

Sean Malone
04-10-08, 01:18 PM

Yeah, that was a good one. Was it Barilla? Man, seems so long ago.

Chief
04-10-08, 01:29 PM
Is NASCAR not worth the ROI? But the IRL is? :confused:

One would think dropping the IRL version would make more business sense UNLESS their investment is minimal.

Andrew Longman
04-10-08, 01:50 PM
Is NASCAR not worth the ROI? But the IRL is? :confused:

One would think dropping the IRL version would make more business sense UNLESS their investment is minimal.

The working numbers I use is about $20 million for NASCAR and $7MM for ICS. Call it $14MM for two cars if you like. At least those are numbers that get thrown around. Pick whatever you like (the ICS seem high given their ratings but whatever).

The real question is what is Target's marketing strategy and plan? What do they hope to achieve?

In the 90s, Target was looking to get their name out there and to differentiate itself from the other "cheap" discounters by associating themselves with some exciting race drivers in exotic fast cars with outsized and positive personalities who also cared about sick kids. That set them apart from the other discounters who are racing to the bottom to sell at the lowest price. That also means spending much more money to promote ("activate") their car sponsorship.

Once Chip went to the IRL and NASCAR, Target hasn't really used their sponsorship in any central/integrated way in their marketing. They seemed to be content to just roll a billboard around the track for 36 weeks a year. Perhaps no longer.

extramundane
04-10-08, 02:00 PM
Is Target itself even putting much money into either effort? It was always my impression that it was a B2B deal, and that Energizer, Fuji, etc were the ones paying. My guess is that enough of those companies are no longer interested (or want to go it alone) that Target would have to pay more out of pocket than they're willing to.

Or maybe the Media Insiders are right and NASCAR's a sinking ship that was torpedoed by Teh New InnyCar. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
04-10-08, 02:33 PM
Is Target itself even putting much money into either effort? It was always my impression that it was a B2B deal, and that Energizer, Fuji, etc were the ones paying.

Great point. Interestingly, my impression is that those deals have not been in place for a while. It used to be that Target would tell its suppliers (P&G, Energizer, etc.) that they needed to pay for a sticker on the car if they wanted favorable shelf space in the stores. (KMart did this too. So does 7-11) It seems that for the last several years the Target cars were missing all those "extra" sponsorships.

Wheel-Nut
04-10-08, 02:53 PM

and its really funny because we hunt snipe here in Texas.

Brickman
04-10-08, 03:10 PM
Target Snipe

enxUNGmJetY

Along with Juan's new ones...

ujmUCHReG_M

6rztXrbrklk&NR=1

Chiphead_Dave
04-10-08, 04:10 PM
Target Snipe

enxUNGmJetY

Along with Juan's new ones...

ujmUCHReG_M

6rztXrbrklk&NR=1

My god he has gotten fat:rofl: I guess actually both Chip and Juan.

oddlycalm
04-10-08, 05:22 PM
Word is that physical training in NASCAR isn't quite as stringent as in F1...:gomer:

oc

dando
04-10-08, 05:27 PM
Word is that physical training in NASCAR isn't quite as stringent as in F1...:gomer:

oc

See Tony Stewart face thread. :irked: :shakehead

-Kevin

Fio1
04-10-08, 06:31 PM
Impossible! Will not happen! ;)

Chipo's father owns most the properties that Target stores are built on in the mid-west, hence the sponsorship deal in the first place. And Target doesn't really pay for the deal anyways any longer. Note those conviniently placed product decals running alongside the cars? Well, take note of those companies then walk into any Target store in America and note where does products are found in the stores(corner aisles). Corner aisles costs a lot of money for products. Therefore, target asks companies to help out with their race team in exchange for perks, one of them being placement on corner aisles. Even though it may look like Target is spending a fortune on sponsoring Chip's many teams, the reality is far from it. A bulk of it is paid for by Energizer, Fuji, Lysol, Coke, Gillette, etc.

SteveH
04-10-08, 08:48 PM
Target has since denied this rumor.

Skinny Chip :rofl:

oddlycalm
04-11-08, 04:22 AM
See Tony Stewart face thread. :irked: :shakehead Yep, the big gomer fantasy is TS back in a crapwagon like it's not blatantly obvious he'd never begin to fit....:gomer:

No way we can know if it steroids for a medical condition or just pork bbq and lots of bleer.

oc

SAdair
04-11-08, 08:24 AM

Add JV to that list as well.

TKGAngel
04-11-08, 08:31 AM
Yep, the big gomer fantasy is TS back in a crapwagon like it's not blatantly obvious he'd never begin to fit....:gomer:

No way we can know if it steroids for a medical condition or just pork bbq and lots of bleer.

oc

I'm going to go with the BBQ and beer excuse. Speaking from past experience with prednisone, Tony's face doesn't have the "prednisone puffy." He could just be one of those people whose face expresses weight changes very easily.

extramundane
04-11-08, 09:05 AM
Add JV to that list as well.

No, Jacques' head has always been that swollen.

;)

devilmaster
04-11-08, 09:44 AM

honda ad.

PDbVC-HTlB4

Andrew Longman
04-11-08, 12:52 PM
honda ad.

Thanks. Brightened my day :D

That Honda turbo at the end sounded sweet too

shaggy_socal
04-11-08, 07:18 PM
My Fav CART Target ad...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5aGmJaBGr_k&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5aGmJaBGr_k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

shaggy_socal
04-11-08, 07:20 PM
My Fav CART Target ad...

5aGmJaBGr_k&hl

Chaos
04-11-08, 08:44 PM
The Target/Honda/Ganassi ads were definitely the better ones based on CART.

G.
04-12-08, 01:11 AM
Those were the days.

Damn. We ain't going back there again.:cry:

cameraman
04-12-08, 02:43 AM
The Target/Honda/Ganassi ads were definitely the better ones based on CART.

Target has always spent serious money on their commercials. They are not using racing much anymore (I don't watch cab races so I might be missing some) but the corporation is very mindful of the quality of their advertisements.

KLang
04-12-08, 08:22 AM
I still see Nascar stuff in their Sunday newspaper ads occasionally. Haven't seen earl in the ads for a few years now.