PDA

View Full Version : Hyacinth

chop456
05-18-03, 10:58 PM
What's the deal with Continental Autosports? Do they race their own cars on a pay-to-drive basis, or do they prep customer cars?

I saw their hauler headed home from RA tonight and wondered what was in it.

Napoleon
05-19-03, 08:29 AM
OK I know the question was not directed at me, but I see there big hauler at club events sometimes. They are a Ferrari dealer out of Chicagoland, right?

tllips
05-19-03, 10:33 AM
I don't know much about them other than they are a luxury car dealer in Countryside, IL. (Near West Burb of Chicago)

I used to be a caddy in LaGrange and the owner was a member there. Every spring, either he or his wife would show up with a new Ferrari. (They alternated who got the newest one every year)

I think he may be where got my fondness for Ferraris...

I also saw an article in the Tribune a week or two ago about a group of people designing a road course private club for sports cars. It will work like a ****y club with membership dues and the like, but you can take your car on the track and race. The article mentioned that luxury dealers could bring their prospective customers out to the track to put the cars throught their paces.

Maybe, Continental is doing something like this at RA now for their customers.

Napoleon
05-19-03, 10:55 AM
The Road America web site shows that last weekend it had a SVRA (Sportscar Vintage Racing Association) event.

chop456
05-19-03, 06:41 PM
Yes, they're a Ferrari/Maserati/Rolls Royce dealer in Hinsdale. I know they were at the SVRA, I just wonder if they campaign their own antiques or other people's.

Hyacinth was in the bidness, so I figure she'll know.

tllips, I think you spelled country wrong. :D

Hink
05-19-03, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by chop456
tllips, I think you spelled country wrong. :D

That's funny!

SteveH
05-20-03, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Hink
That's funny!
no, its very funny.
:D :D :D

tllips
05-20-03, 10:00 AM
OOPS!!!! :eek:

Hyacinth
05-21-03, 11:57 PM
I know John and Lisa go to a lot of the club events at RA - and they're already registered for the Brian Redman Vintage event. Not sure if he works on anyone else's cars. "Continental Autosports" is just another piece of the Continental Motors pie. They also have a motorhome to match the transporter.

I think maybe he was getting some extra seat time in for Lisa before the BRIC - I don't think she had ever raced until they were married, so she has some catching up to do...the entry list shows that she's registered to drive a '72 Toyota in one of the races.

John has always had a stable of toys that he races, ever since the vintage racing boom started. He runs a few older Ferraris, but he's really a Lotus junkie. He's had quite a few 23's and various sport racers that he drives the wheels off of. He's even run a Porsche once or twice.

I worked for John Weinberger about 20 years ago, first at the Fiat store and then at what was the "toy store" with Datsun, MG, Triumph, Jag, Rolls, Maserati and Ferrari. Hey, it was a dirty job, but someone had to do it... :cool:

Before you ask, we got Datsuns as demos - and only the Salesman of the Month drove a Z-car.

chop456
05-23-03, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Hyacinth.

I knew you'd have answers. :)