PDA

View Full Version : The Quest For The Cup...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ferrarigod
04-23-08, 12:54 AM
philly won :( :thumdown:

san jose won :) anythings better than iginla. :thumbup:

TKGAngel
04-23-08, 08:25 AM
The NHL is well known to invent rule interpretations to cover the officials' incompetence. See Buffalo-Dallas, 1999, about the only time Slugs fans actually had a case for whining. :p

It's just sad to see an evenly matched series decided by donut-eating fat ****'s incompetence.

Whining Slugs fan reporting for duty!:D

I can't believe that the Philly goal was allowed when Thoreson threw the Caps defender right into Huet. That was complete nonsense. Hagman in Dallas gets a goal disallowed for Giggy interference, but a Philly guy is allowed to pinball someone into the goalie and it stands? Apparently, Consistency took a vacation for these playoffs.

And just when I thought nothing could top Sean Avery's connection to a New York Madam, out comes news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/nhl_experts?pg=2) that he's going to spend the summer interning at Vogue magazine. We know the Ranger wears Prada, but this is a little ridiculous.

dando
04-23-08, 10:05 AM
Whining Slugs fan reporting for duty!:D

Meh. Your window for whining closed back in '99. :p

-Kevin

anait
04-23-08, 10:35 AM
And just when I thought nothing could top Sean Avery's connection to a New York Madam, out comes news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/nhl_experts?pg=2) that he's going to spend the summer interning at Vogue magazine. We know the Ranger wears Prada, but this is a little ridiculous.

Now what could he possibly hope to get out of that??

Oh, wait...

TKGAngel
04-23-08, 11:49 AM
Meh. Your window for whining closed back in '99. :p

-Kevin

There is no statute of limitations on whining. Devils fans are just as bad if you mention the 2003 Conn Smythe. :)

dando
04-23-08, 12:11 PM
There is no statute of limitations on whining. Devils fans are just as bad if you mention the 2003 Conn Smythe. :)

On second thought, as a Buffalo fan, you have the lifetime right to piss and moan. :D :p ;)

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
04-23-08, 12:19 PM
You stay classy, NHL. (http://www.nypost.com/seven/04232008/sports/rangers/cashing_in_on_avery_punk_act_107662.htm)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04232008/photos/spo086a.jpg

TKGAngel
04-23-08, 01:23 PM
You stay classy, NHL. (http://www.nypost.com/seven/04232008/sports/rangers/cashing_in_on_avery_punk_act_107662.htm)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04232008/photos/spo086a.jpg

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/headdesk.jpg?w=395&h=285

Dr. Corkski
04-23-08, 01:35 PM
Reminds me of this gem:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3997/sabresvx0.jpg

:laugh:

Ankf00
04-23-08, 01:48 PM

Brodeur ****ign pwn3ed that little bitch over 4 rounds of playoffs. :flame:

TKGAngel
04-23-08, 01:50 PM
Cork, when those shirts debuted last year, they were mocked relentlessly.

I myself own this one:

http://shotsoffthecrossbar.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/p3150058-1.jpg

dando
04-23-08, 02:40 PM
Fatso ****ign pwn3ed that little bitch over 4 rounds of playoffs. :flame:

Fixed that for ya.

-Sean Avery

;) :saywhat: :shakehead

dando
04-24-08, 07:02 PM
Wings/Avs...I like mine extra spicey. :cool: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-24-08, 11:12 PM
Wings/Avs...I like mine extra spicey. :cool: :thumbup:

-Kevin Great game, if only ....

dando
04-25-08, 10:32 AM
Great game, if only ....

Get a real G. ;)

Meanwhile the Phlyers throw game 1 away.... :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

dando
04-25-08, 10:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/minorlh/news/story?id=3366250

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Ryan Potulny scored at 2:58 of the fifth overtime to give the Philadelphia Phantoms a 3-2 victory over the Albany River Rats early Friday in the longest game in American Hockey League's 72-year history.

Michael Leighton made 98 saves for the River Rats, and Scott Munroe stopped 65 shots for the Phantoms, who took a club-record 101 shots (breaking the previous mark of 64).

:eek:

-Kevin

tllips
04-25-08, 11:16 AM
Meanwhile the Phlyers throw game 1 away....

-Kevin

:cool:

Closet Habs fan here since the B-Hawks are on the links...

Michael Leighton made 98 saves for the River Rats, and Scott Munroe stopped 65 shots for the Phantoms, who took a club-record 101 shots (breaking the previous mark of 64).

:eek::eek:
Makes me think of the scene in Slapshot after they get shelled when the goalie is still twitching in the locker-room.

TKGAngel
04-25-08, 11:27 AM
Get a real G. ;)

Meanwhile the Phlyers throw game 1 away.... :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

Heh. That was quite the wacky game. That's the third two goal lead the Flyers have given up this playoffs.

I'm also glad to see that Montreal fans are still klassy. Even though they didn't boo the US anthem again, one of the fans poured a beer on Mike Richards.

That AHL game sounds nuts! At least one Philly team won last night.

dando
04-25-08, 11:41 AM
Heh. That was quite the wacky game. That's the third two goal lead the Flyers have given up this playoffs.

I'm also glad to see that Montreal fans are still klassy. Even though they didn't boo the US anthem again, one of the fans poured a beer on Mike Richards.

I wished I could have SEEN the game. I assume you guys get CBC up there since y'all are technically Canucks? ;)

And no bananas on the ice either like the one they threw @ Freddie B. a few seasons ago. :irked: :saywhat: And here I thought the US owned the redneck population. :gomer:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-25-08, 12:50 PM
I wished I could have SEEN the game. I assume you guys get CBC up there since y'all are technically Canucks? ;)

-Kevin

We get CBC through our cable company. If we could combine CBC's announcers with Versus' picture quality, it would be hockey heaven. CBC's picture quality is not so good. Every game looks like its being played in a dirty fishbowl.

dando
04-25-08, 12:53 PM
We get CBC through our cable company. If we could combine CBC's announcers with Versus' picture quality, it would be hockey heaven. CBC's picture quality is not so good. Every game looks like its being played in a dirty fishbowl.

Yeah, I noticed that in one of the 1st round games when they had the CBC feed for one of the late games...Calgary/San Josie, IIRC. Looked like I was using rabbit ears to pull in the signal. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
04-25-08, 07:51 PM
RIP, Mr. Mac. :cry:

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- John H. McConnell, a steel magnate who was the majority owner of the Columbus Blue Jackets, died Friday. He was 84.

McConnell, who had been diagnosed with cancer last year, died at a Columbus hospital, said Cathy Lyttle, a spokeswoman with Worthington Industries, a $3 billion-a-year steel processing company that McConnell started in 1955 with $600 he borrowed against his car.

John McConnell brought major professional sports to Columbus when he acquired an NHL expansion team that began play as the Blue Jackets in 2000.

He called the team his gift to the city.

"Columbus has been good for me. I think this is good for Columbus," McConnell said when Nationwide Arena opened in 2000.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3368056

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-26-08, 07:11 PM
Its a shame that McConnell never got to see the CBJ's make the playoffs.

When the original owners of the Sabres died, banners with their initials were raised to the rafters of HSBC Arena and hang there to this day. The BJ's could do something similar, if McConnell was loved as much as the Knoxes were here.

dando
04-26-08, 08:19 PM
Its a shame that McConnell never got to see the CBJ's make the playoffs.

When the original owners of the Sabres died, banners with their initials were raised to the rafters of HSBC Arena and hang there to this day. The BJ's could do something similar, if McConnell was loved as much as the Knoxes were here.

That's a done deal for sure. They will also have his initials on their sweaters next season. Check out the CBJs blog on Dispatch.com for more insight on how beloved Mr. Mac is in Cbus. :(

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

Michael Arace's piece on Mr. Mac:

Commentary
McConnell stayed true to values of upbringing
Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:16 AM
By michael arace
John H. McConnell died yesterday. He wasn't quite 85 years old, and he had an incredible life. It began in a house that did not have electricity. It ended in a hospital where he donated a tower.

To make it from one place to the other, from a poor kid in a steel town in Depression-era West Virginia to a billionaire industrialist and builder of hospitals, you either have to sell your soul without a second thought or hang onto it despite all costs.

McConnell hung on. He never really changed, not at his core. Most everything he did, most everything he said, contained the seed of his childhood and the fruit of his adulthood, with little or no compromise in the middle. He was taught the difference between right and wrong and he never forgot the lessons. He was the son of a steelworker before he was a billionaire. It made complete sense to him.

He drove a Lexus, but it was more than 10 years old. It won't fetch $8,000 on craigslist.

He liked a stiff drink, and he quoted Dorothy Parker on the subject of martinis. Go ahead and look up that quote.

He loved cigars.

He understood the true value of money is in eliminating hassles and helping others. He bought himself out of country-club stuffiness by building Double Eagle. And he gave millions to charity. Near the end, much of his focus was on staying alive so he could write more checks.

He sent his kids to public schools, even though he could afford to send them to the Monte Carlo Academy of International Portfolio Management, Polo & Pina Coladas. He wanted them to experience something more diverse, more normal. If they had to deal with being the "rich kid," well, they'd have to deal with it straightaway. Such was their lot.

When his son, J.P., was in high school, he mowed lawns around Worthington Industries. When J.P. went to Louisville on a football scholarship, he also worked on the line at a Worthington plant in Kentucky. You want a buck? Earn it.

It's interesting: J.P. sent his kids to public schools.

I first met McConnell nine years ago. I can't say I knew him well, but I would submit that he was not difficult to know. People who are comfortable within are often comfortable revealing themselves, and I think that was the case here.

He made the complex seem simple, the mark of high intelligence. He never pretended to be smarter than anyone else, which, in this case, was a mark of true humility. He was a man of action, and his actions defined him. This case of the Blue Jackets is an example.

In 1997, when someone had to save the Columbus NHL expansion bid, McConnell wrote a personal check for $80 million, took on the yoke of majority owner and faced a phalanx of lawsuits from a spurned former partner, the late Lamar Hunt, a man of impeccable reputation.

"The team was going to Kentucky if we hadn't stepped forward," McConnell said in 2000.

Simple.

The investment grew into an emotional one for him. He liked the players, and told them to play for one another. He liked the game, the toughness of it, the stress it put on team play. He thoroughly enjoyed sitting in his box, up there in the corner above sections 106 and 107, and seeing the arena fill up for a major-league sport right here, in Downtown Columbus. I have no doubt he was happy that the Jackets will play on, indefinitely, beyond him. That was the point.

When they showed his face on the Jumbotron, he'd wave and the crowd would cheer. That's not a normal owner-fan relationship, but it's not surprising in this case. McConnell's intentions were always transparent and pure and it was impossible not to like the man, and admire him. The jamokes in section 216, row Z, had a bond with him.

I'll remember him with that cap on that huge, bowling-ball head of his, with the cigar in his mouth, waving to Jackets fans as his time on earth ticked down to the end. I imagine that, right about now, he's playing bridge with Peggy and has a tee time on cloud 9, followed by a sit-down with Toe Blake to discuss what it takes to make the playoffs. Or, he's hugging his parents. They did a wonderful job.

Michael Arace is a sports reporter for The Dispatch.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/04/26/arace_col26.ART_ART_04-26-08_C1_D6A1M55.html?sid=101

Sorry for posting the full article, nrc, but I though it was important for the full context to be there.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-29-08, 01:00 PM
Glad to see that Philly phans are staying klassy and booing "O Canada." :shakehead:shakehead

dando
04-29-08, 01:46 PM
Glad to see that Philly phans are staying klassy and booing "O Canada."

:D Dude, they boo Santa in Philly. C'mon. ;)

Nice to see Hatcher actually do something last night. :saywhat: Idiot. :irked: Thankfully the Habs were more stupid taking a dumb penalty w/3 to go to save the Phlyers' @sses.

Tonight is officially now Must Win Tuesday. I see three 3-0 series come tomorrow.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-30-08, 12:21 PM
Holy moly.

ESPN's reporting that Sean Avery was taken to hospital last night in cardiac arrest and unconscious, while TSN is reporting it was a ruptured spleen.

I don't like the guy, but either one's not good.

JoeBob
04-30-08, 12:48 PM
The Rangers are saying that the Daily News was incorrect in reporting that he was unconcious and in cardiac arrest. His spleen is lacerated, not ruptured.

He's out for the rest of the playoffs, but expected to make a full recovery: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2008/04/30/avery-out-with-a-lacerated-spleen.aspx

TKGAngel
04-30-08, 01:03 PM
Talk about the media going in 47 different directions. ESPN had him almost dead (so did the NY Times, for that matter), and various internet boards were stunned, since wishing that he get a stick jammed in the bits doesn't mean something bad needs to happen to him.

dando, you were successful at predicting three 3-0 series. Do you have lotto picks you'd like to share with the rest of the class? ;)

dando
04-30-08, 01:44 PM
dando, you were successful at predicting three 3-0 series. Do you have lotto picks you'd like to share with the rest of the class? ;)

Even the ugly hookers get lucky every once in awhile. Those were no brainer picks...the Sharks gots no heart, the Avs are overmatched and more ancient than the Red Army, and the Pens are playing too well. I'll wager all three are sweeps...with the possible exception of the Sharks/Stars...but I don't see that happening.

re: Avery...sounds like Forsberg all over again. I hate the bastid, but I don't wish injury on anyone (with the exception of FTG). ;)

-Kevin

dando
04-30-08, 09:58 PM
:D

Just sayin', yo.

:gomer:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-01-08, 10:30 AM
Dude, all that orange at the Philly game made me think it was coming from the ice rink at Sing Sing.

the Sharks gots no heart

For all the "character guys" they have on the team, that's a really sad, but true statement.

dando
05-01-08, 10:53 AM
Dude, all that orange at the Philly game made me think it was coming from the ice rink at Sing Sing.

Love for the cones, yo. ;)

(they be havin' their @ss to them in the finals) :(

-Kevin

dando
05-02-08, 10:49 AM
Thanks for playing, snowballs...or maybe not. :laugh: Tee time, baby! :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
05-03-08, 09:45 PM
:gomer: :D

Umberger == the next Gretz. ;)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-04-08, 05:38 PM
And its the Battle of Pennsylvania for the Eastern Conference title. That's going to be some good hockey!

Now if the Stars can pull it off tonight...:)

dando
05-04-08, 05:58 PM
And its the Battle of Pennsylvania for the Eastern Conference title. That's going to be some good hockey!

Now if the Stars can pull it off tonight...:)

Almost the battle of I-76. Expect someone to come out of the series as bloody stumps. Should be fun. :thumbup:

Starz/Sharkies...I'm just an interested bystander in this one. Part of me wants to pull for Jody and the Sharkies.

-Kevin

dando
05-04-08, 11:12 PM
TKG:

Here's one of our local hockey scribe's take on the Giant Slugs current and off-season state.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/05/offseason_buffalo.shtml

Overview

Not pretty. The Sabres are a good team and they’re very well coached by Lindy Ruff, so they’ll always be competitive. But the gouging of the roster has had a demoralizing affect, and the mood might not lift for a few seasons.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-05-08, 09:23 AM
dando, maybe I've got my Sabre-colored glasses on, but I don't think the situation is as dire as that reporter would lead us to believe. Yes, the Sabres need a backup goalie that isn't a human five-hole, since Miller can't play a 70+ games without ending up looking like the poster child for Feed the Children. And yes, the Sabres do need some veteran presence, especially on D. But they do have a really good core group of youngsters, who I think are really going to learn from not making the playoffs this year.

Meanwhile, what a game between the Stars and the Sharks. 4 OT's to decide a series. Its also interesting to see that Campbell's penchant for taking game-changing penalties is still in effect.

dando
05-05-08, 10:41 AM
Meanwhile, what a game between the Stars and the Sharks. 4 OT's to decide a series. Its also interesting to see that Campbell's penchant for taking game-changing penalties is still in effect.

Perhaps our guy is a bit glass half full since he covers the CBJs. ;)

I lasted through 2 OTs last night. Amazing game...reminded me of the Pens and Phlyers circa 2000 that went 5 OTs. :eek:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
05-05-08, 12:08 PM
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5307/dna1120505001024x768pi1.jpg

dando
05-05-08, 01:22 PM
^^^

That save and Turdco's kick save were allsome. There were some amazing scoring opps for both teams, but both G's stood on their heads. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-05-08, 01:37 PM
That's a great photo. If you look at it quick enough, it looks like Nabokov's glove is just over the line.

The 4 OTs reminds me of Game 6 in the 1994 playoffs. Brodeur and Hasek had a goalie duel, and the score remained 0-0 until 5 minutes into the 4th OT.

IktizEzMN5s

dando
05-05-08, 01:43 PM
That's a great photo. If you look at it quick enough, it looks like Nabokov's glove is just over the line.

It was on the line. They reviewed it (TSN had some great shots of it) and his glove was on the line, but didn't completely cross it. I wish that was the rule in foosball. No more of this sticking the ball out to break the plane shizzle. :thumdown:

-Kevin

anait
05-05-08, 02:56 PM
It was on the line. They reviewed it (TSN had some great shots of it) and his glove was on the line, but didn't completely cross it. I wish that was the rule in foosball. No more of this sticking the ball out to break the plane shizzle. :thumdown:

-Kevin

I agree; get the whole thing over the line - puck, ball, whatever. And for football, make it actually end up in the end zone. Those football sail-through-the-front-corner dives aren't good enough for my taste.

dando
05-05-08, 10:22 PM
TKG, i believe you were looking for the world championships on TeeVee. TSN.ca is streaming them on their site. US/Canuckistan tomorrow @ 3:20. :thumbup:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

-Kevin

racermike
05-06-08, 12:46 AM
That was the most fun I have had watching a playoff game in a long time

So much for trying to get to sleep earlier last night

TKGAngel
05-06-08, 08:35 AM
TKG, i believe you were looking for the world championships on TeeVee. TSN.ca is streaming them on their site. US/Canuckistan tomorrow @ 3:20. :thumbup:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

-Kevin

Thanks! But I'm at work today, so no watching for me. :( And sometimes live video from a Canuckistani site doesn't always work because of my US IP address.

dando
05-06-08, 09:56 AM
That was the most fun I have had watching a playoff game in a long time

So much for trying to get to sleep earlier last night

You guys got to watch the darn thing @ 6:30 pm. I had to give up after 2 OTs and it was 1 AM. :( Back in '02 (sans kids back then), I watched the whole Phlyers/Pens 5 OT affair that started @ 7 and last until 2. THAT was one of the greatest hockey games evar. :thumbup:

Greatest OT games evar according to E$PN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=amber_david&id=3345792

-Kevin

dando
05-06-08, 11:16 AM
Thanks! But I'm at work today, so no watching for me. :( And sometimes live video from a Canuckistani site doesn't always work because of my US IP address.

Lucky for me it's 'WFH' Tues since I pick up kid #1 from preschool. :D The 411 on that was posted on the CBJ blog, so I'm guesing it's working outside Canuckistan. I'll see this afternoon. Hopefully the finals will be in the evening rather afternoon. Damn Canucks think everyone treats a hockey playoff like a holiday. ;) I'm now officially Jonesing for hockey. :(

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-06-08, 11:32 AM
Those football sail-through-the-front-corner dives aren't good enough for my taste.

your canadian brand of football renders all canadian opinions regarding real football null and void :gomer:

anait
05-06-08, 12:01 PM
Damn Canucks think everyone treats a hockey playoff like a holiday. ;)

Well, yeah!! ;) Playoff hockey holiday season. Good times.

your canadian brand of football renders all canadian opinions regarding real football null and void :gomer:

Oh, :p. (Yeah, deadly comeback, I know...)

TKGAngel
05-06-08, 12:09 PM
Damn Canucks think everyone treats a hockey playoff like a holiday. ;) I'm now officially Jonesing for hockey. :(

-Kevin

Hockey should be a holiday. Though I am kind of surprised this game isn't in prime time.

It will be interesting to see how the Canadian crowd reacts to Pominville in a USA sweater. There was a lot of ugly 'traitor' talk when he was named to the team. :shakehead

dando
05-06-08, 12:19 PM
Well, yeah!! ;) :p Playoff hockey holiday season. Good times.

Speaking of Canadia, how's that 'drift' in the backyard? :)

-Kevin

anait
05-06-08, 03:33 PM
Speaking of Canadia, how's that 'drift' in the backyard?

The last remnants melted away a couple weeks ago. (And the pictures I took are STILL stuck on my phone, the memory card has an error. Mr anait has promised to fix it for me, if I keep reminding him...)

Shortly after, we had a mini-ice storm, and this past Sunday it snowed half the day. But the ground is warm, so it melted quickly. Driving out in the country you saw clouds of steam rising up from the open fields and ditches as the snow melted, very freaky sight.

A few ice storm pics:

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v231/0/80/558537023/n558537023_810919_3845.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v231/0/80/558537023/n558537023_810926_820.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v231/0/80/558537023/n558537023_810927_1230.jpg

dando
05-06-08, 04:27 PM

Canuckistan only. Bugger. :(

-Kevin

dando
05-06-08, 04:41 PM
The last remnants melted away a couple weeks ago.

Odd. And here I thought 'spring' wasn't until June for y'all. ;)

-Kevin

dando
05-06-08, 05:25 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Canadian crowd reacts to Pominville in a USA sweater. There was a lot of ugly 'traitor' talk when he was named to the team. :shakehead

Likely even worse now, as he just scored on a PP to tie it up @ 4. Damn, I wish I could SEE this. Hockey Jones worsens.... :(

-Kevin

cameraman
05-06-08, 08:10 PM
Have you tried the WCSN.com feed?
It costs $4.95 for the month for all of the games.

TKGAngel
05-06-08, 08:24 PM
Likely even worse now, as he just scored on a PP to tie it up @ 4. Damn, I wish I could SEE this. Hockey Jones worsens.... :(

-Kevin

Highlights of the game. (http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/clip51162#clip51162)

dando
05-06-08, 08:30 PM
Have you tried the WCSN.com feed?
It costs $4.95 for the month for all of the games.

:cool: Thx for the 411.

-Kevin

anait
05-08-08, 10:56 AM
FINALLY, playoffs again tonight...and I have a meeting. :irked: Oh, well.

Funny column in yesterday's paper:

No hockey?! Must... find Methadone clinic...
Playoff lull giving fans intolerable case of DTs (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/columnists/r_turner/story/4170134p-4758156c.html)

But then came the shock of Monday night. Turned on the television, dialed up the CBC and..... nothing. Well, not nothing exactly, but no familiar faces. No soothing image of Ron MacLean. No blinding fabric of Don Cherry. No hockey whatsoever. First thought: something is horribly wrong.

dando
05-08-08, 11:29 AM
FINALLY, playoffs again tonight...and I have a meeting. :irked: Oh, well.

Funny column in yesterday's paper:

No hockey?! Must... find Methadone clinic...
Playoff lull giving fans intolerable case of DTs (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/columnists/r_turner/story/4170134p-4758156c.html)

But then came the shock of Monday night. Turned on the television, dialed up the CBC and..... nothing. Well, not nothing exactly, but no familiar faces. No soothing image of Ron MacLean. No blinding fabric of Don Cherry. No hockey whatsoever. First thought: something is horribly wrong.

*twitches*

;)

-Kevin

dando
05-10-08, 10:30 AM
Coach Q gets the boot from the Avs. Perhaps the GM should be the one to go. Like it's Q's fault the core of that team was a bunch of crusty, slow, injury-prone, over-the-hill vets. :irked: (still hoping they re-sign -6 Footer, tho.) :gomer: Footer could have had $3.5M x 2 had he stayed in Cbus (glad he didn't). I'll bet he won't get $3M per for the Avs or anyone else. :laugh:

Phlyers/Pens looks like a short series. The Pens are like butter (on a roll), Phlyers top D Timmonen is out for the series, and I just don't see the Phlyers having an answer for as much O as the Pens have. :thumbup: to Holmy for putting this crew together and for Stevens getting them this far.

I'll pick Red Army over Pens in 6.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-10-08, 01:56 PM
Marty turned back into a pumpkin last night. He looked completely lost on the Malkin shorthanded breakway.

It may be a short series, but its going to be quite fun to watch.

dando
05-18-08, 07:11 PM
Congrats Pens. Don't embarass yourself against the Red Army. :gomer:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
05-19-08, 01:22 AM
FaFu Nash :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TKGAngel
05-19-08, 08:10 AM
Priceless exchange between a CBC Reporter and Ryan Malone, after Malone caused Biron to drop his stick, leading to Malkin's goal.

CBC: "What happened with Biron at the end of the period?"

Malone: "I just told him he should hold onto his stick. He's a better goalie with his stick in his hands."

CBC (Laughing): "You actually said that?"

Malone: "Aren't most goalies better with their sticks in their hands?"

Quote courtesy of Empty Netters. (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/emptynetters/)

dando
05-19-08, 10:06 AM
Priceless exchange between a CBC Reporter and Ryan Malone, after Malone caused Biron to drop his stick, leading to Malkin's goal.

Quote courtesy of Empty Netters. (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/emptynetters/)

Thankfully I dint waste a moment watching that shizzle. I saw the 'highlight' this AM and just laughed. Oh well. Pens are gonna have some tough decisions to make this off season on who to keep so they can pay the new kids on the block. If they can keep playing @ this level, this might end up being a classic cup final.

-Kevin

dando
05-19-08, 06:43 PM
FaFu Nash :rofl:

Perhaps the guys on the ice when the 4-2 lead was lost by the Canuckies are to blame as well? Bowmeester? Doan? Cam Ward? Nah, lay the blame on Nash for an unfortunate penalty. :irked:

Oh, and BTW:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/nhl_experts/post/How-Rick-Nash-became-the-new-NHL-2K9-cover-boy;_ylt=AsuW.sRx23BHwhQch1kDqRt7vLYF?urn=nhl,8283 1

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nhl_experts__2/ept_sports_nhl_experts-507094136-1210943764.jpg?ymV0xY_Cd3fUafpd

:finger:

Do you celebrate or congratulate anything, Corky? :(

-Kevin

Don Quixote
05-19-08, 07:32 PM
I must admit, Nash's "the goal" this year was an absolute thing of beauty. :thumbup:

dando
05-20-08, 10:04 AM
I must admit, Nash's "the goal" this year was an absolute thing of beauty. :thumbup:

He showed during the World Cup what he can do with a real #1 center rather a rotation of journey men centers. :irked:

Dear Santa: please bring the CBJs a #1 real center. :)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-20-08, 12:35 PM
No hockey until Saturday?! *twitch*

At least I can catch up on some of my TiFaux backlog.

dando, when Santa drops off that #1 center, can you direct him up to Buffalo to drop off a backup goalie?

dando
05-21-08, 01:03 AM
dando, when Santa drops off that #1 center, can you direct him up to Buffalo to drop off a backup goalie?

I ain't Santa. If I were, I would have put Sid the Kid in the CBJ's stocking a couple of years ago. ;) How about you can have Hasek back? :p

-Kevin

dando
05-24-08, 08:11 PM
No hockey until Saturday?! *twitch*

Game on. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-24-08, 08:17 PM
And the Finals are off to a great start as Fluery face plants heading onto the ice. :rofl:

dando
05-25-08, 12:47 PM
Pens were deer in the headlights last night. Unless they settle down, this will be a very short series. :(

-Kevin

dando
05-26-08, 11:12 PM
Zzzzz....... :(

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-27-08, 06:26 PM
Is there a sniper hiding in the rafters at the Joe? This is the second series in a row where Osgood has hit the deck so quickly.

Anyone want to Whack a Penguin (http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080522/MULTI/80522108)?

JoeBob
05-29-08, 03:26 PM
What not to do when you win the cup:

jN_guX3jAGY

dando
06-03-08, 11:53 AM
Heckuva game last night. :yawns:

:)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
06-03-08, 03:24 PM
Heckuva game last night. :yawns:

:)

-Kevin

No kiddin' eh?

I HAD to go to bed. I was just shot. Woke up this morning to find I turned it off about 2 minutes before the the guins scored.

Tough game. I really thought the Wings had it when the tied it. Pittsburgh just seemed tentative. But when the Wings went up, the guins seemed to relax and go for broke.

dando
06-04-08, 10:55 PM
**** the Red Army. :thumdown: Congrats, but **** 'em. :irked: Sucks the ice sucked. :(

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-05-08, 09:30 AM
I feel bad for Fluery. He basically farted the GWG into his net.

dando
06-05-08, 10:32 AM
I feel bad for Fluery. He basically farted the GWG into his net.

Talk about laying a turd. ;)

I had no idea Cheli didn't play the entire series. Speaks volumes on his future me thinks. Mebbe one more season for a farewell tour?

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-05-08, 04:33 PM
You know what today's most talked about story is? CBC is not renewing its license for the HNiC theme. Last night's game might have been the last time the "ba-ba-dum-bah-dum.." was heard before any games. That's just a travesty. HNiC has had that theme music since 1968. Its iconic. :thumdown:to CBC.

dando
06-05-08, 05:06 PM
You know what today's most talked about story is? CBC is not renewing its license for the HNiC theme. Last night's game might have been the last time the "ba-ba-dum-bah-dum.." was heard before any games. That's just a travesty. HNiC has had that theme music since 1968. Its iconic. :thumdown:to CBC.

4kERvuPMhTA

Not dead yet.

http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/06/05/5781771.html

The future of Hockey Night in Canada’s theme song is in limbo.

The agency that represents the song’s composer said Thursday that the CBC will no longer use the familiar hockey anthem, but the head of CBC Sports says the song hasn’t been shelved yet.

“We’ve been negotiating for an extension to the licence of the theme to Hockey Night in Canada,” executive director of CBC Sports Scott Moore said during an interview on Newsworld. “Those negotiations continue. They are ongoing.”

The licence agreement CBC had with composer Dolores Claman ended with this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs, which wrapped up Wednesday night.

-Kevin

cameraman
06-05-08, 05:53 PM
That's just a travesty. HNiC has had that theme music since 1968. Its iconic. :thumdown:to CBC.

Never heard it before. Listened to the youtube version.
Got to say that "travesty" might be a wee bit of hyperbole...

TKGAngel
06-05-08, 07:06 PM
Never heard it before. Listened to the youtube version.
Got to say that "travesty" might be a wee bit of hyperbole...

Hyperbole...on the internet...no way! ;)

In my defense, as the Buffalo News (http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/2008/06/dont-touch-the.html) put it

That song IS Hockey Night in Canada, more than even Ron MacLean and Don Cherry. People call it Canada's second national anthem.

Tony George
06-06-08, 01:03 AM
http://echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic.cgi?action=show_news&cat=1&id=15451

Cincinnati Cyclones (ECHL) are your 2008 Kelly Cup Champions! It was a great game. Looks like the Canadiens will have some talent in the upcoming years.

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/14/1930/full/yeoxe12khve7rm68fuic.gif

dando
07-01-08, 03:14 PM
So we'll move FA talk here....rumor is Soupy is looking for $60M+. :eek: Caps sign Theodore :laugh:, Avs sign Raycroft...does TBL have enough room to sign Huet after the spree they've been on (w/o moving Boyle)? Hey, TBL: where's the D?

CBJ wish list is Brendan Morrison and Redden/Streit/Orpik/Commodore (pick 2). Talk about picking up a 4th player, but I don't know where they would put 'em w/o moving a forward.

EDIT: Jeebus. Conklin to Detroit. He failed in CBJville 2 seasons ago. :eek:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
07-01-08, 03:28 PM
Its been rumored that Soupy has been offered 70 mill from Atlanta. But it doesn't fit his requirement of being near Ontario (There's some family issues that are causing Soupy to want to be close to home.) Whatever team gets stuck with that contract is really going to regret it.

Sabres signed Gaustad yesterday and have started talks with Miller. Pommers is next on their horizon. If they can sign a backup goalie and a d-man and don't lose Paille to an offer sheet, I'll be happy.

dando
07-01-08, 04:34 PM
2 years, $20M offered to Sundin by Cannuckies. Jeebus. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
07-01-08, 05:50 PM
Soupy to Blackhawks for 8 years, $57M. :eek:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
07-01-08, 06:43 PM
Soupy to Blackhawks for 8 years, $57M. :eek:

-Kevin

Sweet hockey baby jeebus. He's so not worth that much money.

Commodore ended up in C-bus. $18.75 over 5. That's not a bad deal.

dando
07-01-08, 08:20 PM
Sweet hockey baby jeebus. He's so not worth that much money.

Commodore ended up in C-bus. $18.75 over 5. That's not a bad deal.

IMO, Soup's not worth 1/2 that much. Commodore is a decent deal, but he was 3rd or 4th on my list. I have no idea how the NHL can support these salaries with the Vs. deal longer term.

-Kevin

racermike
07-02-08, 08:21 PM
Marian Hossa signs a 1 year deal for $7.5m with the Red Wings (after he was offered a 5 year, 7m per year deal with the Penguins)

dando
07-02-08, 10:39 PM
Marian Hossa signs a 1 year deal for $7.5m with the Red Wings (after he was offered a 5 year, 7m per year deal with the Penguins)

Not much of this FA signing period is makind sense. Oy. :shakehead

-Kevin

TKGAngel
07-03-08, 08:10 AM

Hossa decided to play ring ho. Compare that to Orpik, who took a hometown discount to stay with the Pens.

Not much of this FA signing period is makind sense. Oy.

The biggest WTF is Tampa. They've signed roughly 18 forwards, no defense and are thinking about trading a goalie.

JoeBob
07-03-08, 10:35 AM
Hossa turned down 8 million per year from Minnesota (who even got his bff Marian Gaborik to beg and plead with him to sign over coffee with in Slovakia) Edmonton and Boston offered 9 million per year.

The rumor around here is that he wants his ring, and then he and Gaby will both try to sign with the same team as UFAs after the upcoming season.