PDA

View Full Version : My best Peter King

Racing Truth
04-06-08, 07:00 PM
ala, "I think I think"

I think Barnhart remains a fool, esp. the debris yellow. Get Cotman in there ASAP.

I think the thing that annoys me most about the Dallara is the hump in the front of the car. Looked really bad on Justin's car. I also think it hasn't stopped me from watching.

I think Will Power showed flashes... of speed and stupidity. Dude was all over the place, esp. in T1.

I think the ESPN crew, except Vince Welch, all suck. My goodness, when you watch the SPEED F1 boys in comparison, it gets embarrassing.

I think rain makes any r/s race teh awesome. Today was no different.

I think "EJ":saywhat: Viso was a revelation today. Heck of a job.

I think Graham Rahal showed incredible poise and skill, for any age. At age 19, this was remarkable.

I think, in spite of it all, I saw a glimpse of why a merger/buyout was needed for the sport. I saw something that has some potential.

Finally, I KNOW I enjoyed it. And I think its been awhile that OW has done that for me.

I'm in the minority here, and that's fine BTW.

Andrew Longman
04-06-08, 07:03 PM
I think, in spite of it all, I saw a glimpse of why a merger/buyout was needed for the sport. I saw something that has some potential

I also saw why the split never should have happened in the first place.

I enjoyed it. I see potential. But it is a shadow of what it was.

dando
04-06-08, 07:42 PM
I think I think.....

I'm glad I wasn't there to smell it with all of the FARTING going on around the track. Those engines are teh suck. :thumdown:

The cars are just butt ugly from the nose to the tail. :thumdown:

The race was watchable despite the morons in the booth and in the pits...mostly due to the rain.

Watching Danicle lose it twice, Marco once, and Marco busting another half shaft. Priceless. :gomer:

Graham was awesome and spoke like he was much older. 8-) Too bad his dad is a dick. :irked:

I'll likely peek in every now and then, but I'm not compelled to watch dronefests on ovals. Period. This race just happened to fit in with the girls naps and a need to take a break from yard work. No rain would have likely meant more garage cleaning. :-(

Too bad PT wasn't in the mix. :-(

Once and for all, please drop this 'transition driver' BS. :-\

Where did Viso come from? 8-)

I hope Malone got drenched. :-D

-Kevin

KLang
04-07-08, 09:24 AM
No rain would have likely meant more garage cleaning.

I've been making great progress on my garage these past two weekends. :thumbup:

Thanks for that at least FTG. :\

Chaos
04-07-08, 09:44 AM
I watched. The product has been alright. I wish the cars were different though. I don't care about the engines as much as I wish they changed that god-awful chassis.

Bring brack the late 90s Reynards.

IlliniRacer
04-07-08, 11:24 AM
To truly make it a Peter King-like post, you are required to mention Brett Favre somehow, someway

Racing Truth
04-07-08, 01:40 PM
To truly make it a Peter King-like post, you are required to mention Brett Favre somehow, someway

:laugh:

I think not seeing PT out there is weird, like not seeing Brett Favre in a Packer uni.:gomer:

Couple more:

I think, despite, its short length, we need more street circuits like St. Pete.

I think it would be even better if PT and Doornbos were there too

I think, and hope, that the era of marketing only Danica will soon be ending. Any fool can see the potential of a Graham v. Marco thread.

I think it must be something being Graham Rahal. 19, son of an I500 winner, youngest winner of an AOW race, will no doubt be talked about as a future champ and 500 winner, and the brightest American talent we've seen in this sport in quite some time. But no pressure, son.

Chief
04-07-08, 02:28 PM
I think if the Indycar Series is to appeal to TV audiences it must eliminate it's ABC/ESPN broadcast crew. Marty Reid and Scott Goodyear are horrendous....as was the "transitional teams and drivers" horsesheet. The mid-race apologetic appeal by dolts Reid and Goodyear desperately trying to explain the poor IRL contingent's laboring on street courses was inexcusable....having a non-IRL racer in "transition" win only exemplifies the fact.

I think the sooner they drop the IRL moniker the sooner the fans will accept the new series. Until then, many AOW fans will continue to turn a nose up to this series....because of it's negative conotations.

I think the IMS/IRL powers that be are short-sighted and that the corn-fed and corn-bred approach is NOT going to work for the sophisticated AOW fan. Perception is HUGE and having listened to IMS radio feed with Bob Jenkins and Davey Hamilton exposes the inbred nepotism. What does Davey know about 6-6-6? Streets/roads? NOTHING. Bob Jenkins is an IRL shill from the earliest days and his voice echos Indy "parasite" everytime I hear it. Change of perception is needed to make this sport fly....keep it at current "1996 IRL levels" and it's dead.

I think that while the "side by side" commercials are ok, the sheer volume of the commercial breaks (combined with Marty Reid announcing "going side by side") is enough for this fan to turn the channel out of sheer disgust everytime.

I think it's pathetic they continue to bang the dead horse Danica, especially with the overly empathetic tone in their voices...and then make excuses for her. She sucks and if she does something to warrant her coverage then cover her. Otherwise DROP her. She's in a man's sport so treat her like it.

RaceGrrl
04-07-08, 04:25 PM
I think it was an awesome sunny day to spend outside yesterday doing yardwork.

WickerBill
04-07-08, 04:45 PM
Fix the name

Fix the cars

Drop Goodyear and get Parker Johnstone

Let simmer for three years

Don't care what you say about the main guy saying "we're going side by side", it's not worse than "boogity" (DW) or "get up on that wheel" (DW) or "Imma tell you what" (LMac). Not close.

oddlycalm
04-07-08, 06:23 PM
Out of curiosity, what would make him dump Barhart, ABC/ESPN, his own radio feed, or any of the rest of your extremely reasonable and intelligent suggestions?

The only reason the IRL exists at all is that it's owner has limitless money to run it as a hobby with the bootlickers he wants on the payroll. TG doesn't have to worry about ignorant nonsense screwing up the business because it's not a business in the first place. The normal forces that govern a business don't apply. Were it a business it would have been broke more than a decade ago without a doubt.

There may be potential, but who imagines anyone will capitalize on it?

oc

Insomniac
04-07-08, 08:16 PM
Out of curiosity, what would make him dump Barhart, ABC/ESPN, his own radio feed, or any of the rest of your extremely reasonable and intelligent suggestions?

The only reason the IRL exists at all is that it's owner has limitless money to run it as a hobby with the bootlickers he wants on the payroll. TG doesn't have to worry about ignorant nonsense screwing up the business because it's not a business in the first place. The normal forces that govern a business don't apply. Were it a business it would have been broke more than a decade ago without a doubt.

There may be potential, but who imagines anyone will capitalize on it?

oc

If ESPN is paying the IRL for broadcast rights, maybe they have full control over production. You just have to watch MNF to see they can be just as dumb as TG when it comes to producing a broadcast and on-air talent.

dando
04-07-08, 09:21 PM

Nothing short of a whirley bird crash with Barnfart, Fred 'Baghdad Bob' Nation and Joie Shitwood onboard. :saywhat: :irked: :tony:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-08-08, 12:14 AM

I may once again be a foolish optimist, but TG may finally be in a position to feel some pressure.

Having "won", he now needs to actually lead. There are a lot of eyes looking at him asking, "Now what?"

And/or, the same big egos that were always there (Penske, Haas, Ganassi, Andretti, etc.) now can say to him, "OK, were all here. Now this is how we want this sport run". Not too different than the perceived threats of 95 only now TG can't possibly take his ball and leave.

He may actually be in a worse situation than before because now the sponsors are scarce and no one is making a ton of money. He's got to find a way to make it work for sponsors and in turn teams or these guys are going to leave (as Walker, FCR, PCM, Minardi, Rocketsport, Cheever, etc. have done).

No one but TG will be "investing" in the series without a certain and guaranteed return. He needs the teams more than ever.

Now will the owners demand the right things? I'm not counting on them either, but at least they will likely call for a better spec and racing rules/officiating resembling a top tier series.

Oh, and the latest developments are terrible for Danica. They have other things to hype and it really exposes her weaknesses. If she is likely she will become the Kyle Petty of the IRL and keep her ride because of fan/sponsor appeal, but she needs to grow a personality first.

Chaos
04-08-08, 09:06 AM
I may once again be a foolish optimist, but TG may finally be in a position to feel some pressure.

Having "won", he now needs to actually lead. There are a lot of eyes looking at him asking, "Now what?"

And/or, the same big egos that were always there (Penske, Haas, Ganassi, Andretti, etc.) now can say to him, "OK, were all here. Now this is how we want this sport run". Not too different than the perceived threats of 95 only now TG can't possibly take his ball and leave.

He may actually be in a worse situation than before because now the sponsors are scarce and no one is making a ton of money. He's got to find a way to make it work for sponsors and in turn teams or these guys are going to leave (as Walker, FCR, PCM, Minardi, Rocketsport, Cheever, etc. have done).

No one but TG will be "investing" in the series without a certain and guaranteed return. He needs the teams more than ever.

Now will the owners demand the right things? I'm not counting on them either, but at least they will likely call for a better spec and racing rules/officiating resembling a top tier series.

Oh, and the latest developments are terrible for Danica. They have other things to hype and it really exposes her weaknesses. If she is likely she will become the Kyle Petty of the IRL and keep her ride because of fan/sponsor appeal, but she needs to grow a personality first.

personality only exists when you win... otherwise, you're an annoyance.

grungex
04-08-08, 09:46 AM
She has massive amounts of personality, it's just very unpleasant.

Insomniac
04-08-08, 09:47 AM

I think we've all learned they'll do what is best for themselves only. They can't even use a long term approach that would benefit them all.