PDA

View Full Version : Scary Texas Shunt

Andrew Longman
04-04-08, 06:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVgQjoW7iTo

Definitely channeling Gordon Smiley. Lucky as hell.

Thanks to CART and others for pushing HANS and (yes) TG for pushing SAFER.

This would have been fatal in another era.

Chaos
04-04-08, 07:42 PM
i was thinking the hans was definitely an asset there since he hit the wall straight on.

lucky guy!

dando
04-04-08, 08:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3330087

I was @ a bar w/some buds, and they broke into the beginning of SC with the footage of this. Amazing that he walked away unscathed. :eek: :thumbup:

-Kevin

G.
04-04-08, 08:54 PM
wow. Just wow.

Cam
04-04-08, 10:07 PM
Scary as it is, you gotta love the Fark headline for this.

NASCAR driver attempts a right turn (http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=3516383) :laugh:

Ed_Severson
04-04-08, 10:10 PM
Scary as it is, you gotta love the Fark headline for this.

:laugh:

Fark threads on motorsports generally attract a bunch of retards and eventually dissolve into some combination of "racing is not a sport," "NASCAR is for hillbillies," and "nobody has completed a pass in open-wheel, evar!"

This one, so far, isn't much different, aside from a bunch of newcomers sucking NASCAR's **** for their amazing safety record. :tony:

Cam
04-04-08, 10:16 PM
Fark threads on motorsports generally attract a bunch of retards and eventually dissolve into some combination of "racing is not a sport," "NASCAR is for hillbillies," and "nobody has completed a pass in open-wheel, evar!"

This one, so far, isn't much different, aside from a bunch of newcomers sucking NASCAR's **** for their amazing safety record. :tony:

At least you are in there batting it out for the good of the sport Ed. ;)

Ed_Severson
04-04-08, 10:23 PM
At least you are in there batting it out for the good of the sport Ed. ;)

Pfffffttt ... I'd qualify myself as one of the retards. :D

Winston Wolfe
04-04-08, 11:00 PM
OMG ! - Just got home and saw that on SPEED...

St Dale wreck < Today's Wreck < Gordon Smiley's crash

then the rolling, spinning, tumbling after the fact was enough to do some further damage. :eek:

like he said - "in any other era of racing, that would have been a dramatically different result"

lucky, indeed !:thumbup:

Fio1
04-05-08, 01:21 AM
Safer Barrier, car of tomorrow and hans device. Awesome! :thumbup:

chop456
04-05-08, 05:40 AM
NASCAR safety. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JohnHKart
04-05-08, 06:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVgQjoW7iTo

Definitely channeling Gordon Smiley. Lucky as hell.

This would have been fatal in another era.

That's exactly what I thought. Yes fatal in another era: only 6-7 years ago.

cart7
04-05-08, 06:55 AM
Geezo peezo. Amazing that he walked away from that one. Kudo's to SAFER and HANS that he's alive today.

Accipiter
04-05-08, 10:17 AM
Punishing you that hard for that kind of mistake? What a crap track Texas is.

Thanks for the COT, HANS, and Safer Barrier.

Winston Wolfe
04-05-08, 03:16 PM
NASCAR safety.

Chop - I am with you on that one.....(had to take out your rofls, sorry)

I'm thinking that the Busch cars run on that same track, right ?
They go just about as fast, right ??
SO.... that means that the same kind of impact could have taken place earlier or later in the day, at the very same track, yet with one of the "car of yesterday" chassis' and we could have had a much different result.:thumdown:

Sure, that's a big "What if..." but, certainly a possibility, right. I just find it odd that NASCAR will allow the "stars" as well as the up and comers to drive around in the old style car, with all of its "Safety" shortcomings, and they just look the other way, hoping there isnt another crash like the one we saw today. NASCAR Safety is right up there with "Government Budgets" "Military Intelligence" and all those other oxymorons we know and love.

Has any journalist, broadcaster, racer ever brought up the fact that they still drive the older, not-so-safe car of yesterday ?:rolleyes:

Insomniac
04-05-08, 08:32 PM
Did the SAFER wall while absorbing the impact also contribute to the car flipping?

Andrew Longman
04-06-08, 12:29 AM
Winston, the CoT features had little to do with the results of this crash, though your point is still valid.

Tha SAFER and HANS saved him in this crash. The CoT has better side impact protection in terms of moving the driver more to the center and adding foam padding. It also has a bigger greenhouse to make it easier to get out. All good and NOT mandated in Nationwide, but not likely a factor in this crash.

Brickman
04-06-08, 01:43 AM
Chop - I am with you on that one.....(had to take out your rofls, sorry)

I'm thinking that the Busch cars run on that same track, right ?
They go just about as fast, right ??
SO.... that means that the same kind of impact could have taken place earlier or later in the day, at the very same track, yet with one of the "car of yesterday" chassis' and we could have had a much different result.:thumdown:

Sure, that's a big "What if..." but, certainly a possibility, right. I just find it odd that NASCAR will allow the "stars" as well as the up and comers to drive around in the old style car, with all of its "Safety" shortcomings, and they just look the other way, hoping there isnt another crash like the one we saw today. NASCAR Safety is right up there with "Government Budgets" "Military Intelligence" and all those other oxymorons we know and love.

Has any journalist, broadcaster, racer ever brought up the fact that they still drive the older, not-so-safe car of yesterday ?:rolleyes:

Getting a new car after not even running a full year won't too be bad...

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/bg/10/28/nationwide.cot.2009/index.html

grungex
04-06-08, 09:46 AM
Did the SAFER wall while absorbing the impact also cause the car flipping?

This was my thought...

Winston, the CoT features had little to do with the results of this crash, though your point is still valid.

Tha SAFER and HANS saved him in this crash. The CoT has better side impact protection in terms of moving the driver more to the center and adding foam padding. It also has a bigger greenhouse to make it easier to get out. All good and NOT mandated in Nationwide, but not likely a factor in this crash.

So really all we're left with is the HANS device....

Sean O'Gorman
04-06-08, 10:20 AM
Getting a new car after not even running a full year won't too be bad...

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/bg/10/28/nationwide.cot.2009/index.html

"We're working on an '09 [Nationwide] car," Bodine said. "[Having it ready for] '09 is tentative. It's not set in stone but we're working on it. We've informed some of the Busch owners and we've got a prototype at the R&D center."

LOL, way to mention both the old and the new series sponsor.

Andrew Longman
04-06-08, 12:04 PM
This was my thought...

So really all we're left with is the HANS device....

I wouldn't go there. A rolling, flipping car looks worse than it is. Not fun, for sure, but it is throwing off energy. Drivers may be scrambled a bit from such flips, but so long as all the straps and restraints keep him in the car he usually is uninjured.

The car hit the wall so hard I think it is difficult to tell what it would have done if the wall was concrete. It would likely have bounced off in some crazy unpredictable way. The SAFER did look to grab the car some, leading to the flip, as it collapsed on impact, but it also had to be better than concrete in slowing the deceleration from 170-0. Hitting concrete there could cause internal bleeding and a broken pelvis.