PDA

View Full Version : New EARL quals

dando
04-02-08, 01:56 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-road-street-accourse-qualifying-tweaked/

The IndyCar Series will change its qualifying format for road and street courses beginning with the series’ visit to St. Petersburg this weekend.

Single-car qualifying, which previously preceded the “Firestone Fast Six” shootout, will be eliminated on road and street courses in favor of group sessions that will progressively narrow the field to the fastest six, who will then enter a 10-minute shootout for the pole.

In case anyone GAF. :tony:

-Kevin

extramundane
04-02-08, 02:02 PM
Another original idea from The Braintrust.

Keep up the good work, kids. :shakehead

cameraman
04-02-08, 02:04 PM
Sounds like they are copying F1. Makes sense. Single car quals on a road course are boring as hell. The quals are the opening act for the ALMS race so there might actually be some people in the stands if they nothing else to do.

Gnam
04-02-08, 02:04 PM
Standing starts in 3...2...:tony:

Insomniac
04-02-08, 02:07 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-road-street-accourse-qualifying-tweaked/

In case anyone GAF. :tony:

-Kevin

Haha, when are the standing starts coming?

Chaos
04-02-08, 02:58 PM
I find it amusing when IRL faithful that hate all things F1, CART, have to do a 180 every time IRL implements an F1 or CART idea.

Engine Leases
Road Courses
Street Festivals
Podiums
Qualifying
Certain Sponsors that were fake sponsors in Champcar (e.g. McDonalds)

SurfaceUnits
04-03-08, 01:25 PM
do they have danicles approval?

SurfaceUnits
04-03-08, 01:26 PM
I find it amusing when IRL faithful that hate all things F1, CART, have to do a 180 every time IRL implements any idea.fixed it

Andrew Longman
04-03-08, 01:38 PM
I have to take this as a positive possibility the TG is now listening to smart voices. Single car qualifying on a road coarse is stupid and boring. Maybe now that he doesn't feel so threatened its OK for him to accept advice on things like, well, running a road race and a racing series.

OK, maybe that's stupid;)

dando
04-03-08, 01:49 PM
I have to take this as a positive possibility the TG is now listening to smart voices. Single car qualifying on a road coarse is stupid and boring. Maybe now that he doesn't feel so threatened its OK for him to accept advice on things like, well, running a road race and a racing series.

OK, maybe that's stupid;)

Or mebbe they tied him up with duct tape and stuffed him in a closet. Or perhaps the intellectual property they acquired from CCWS was a rule book. :tony:

-Kevin

Accipiter
04-03-08, 02:31 PM
It's the Cotman effect. Along with weighing the drivers, and I'm sure other small changes that haven't made the news, and bigger stuff to come in the future.

pchall
04-03-08, 09:14 PM
Gimmicked qualifying hasn't really help the F1 show and this won't polish the turd in Tony's bowl either.

Chief
04-03-08, 10:02 PM
Wine and cheese parties! Glomming onto F1 history! 20 minute two group qualifying sessions....KNOCKOUT qualifying sessions! It's too good to believe! Tony George is a GREAT LEADER. Get DirectTV and a six pack of Coke and the world spins upon it's axis again.

SurfaceUnits
04-04-08, 12:02 AM
AJ, asked before Saturday night’s Gainsco Indy 300 what he thought of Stewart’s rant about Goodyear a few weeks ago after NASCAR’s Atlanta race, Foyt took aim at the IRL’s tire supplier.

“Firestone’s just as bad,” he said. “We’ve got junk for tires. They’ve got one heat cycle, and they screwed us up the other day for qualifying; they fall off two or three tenths.”

Foyt was a Goodyear driver through much of his legendary racing career. Arch-rival Mario Andretti ran on Firestones. Stewart raced Firestones in the IRL when both tire companies were in the league. “I have no love for Firestone, they have no love for me,” Foyt said, adding that the tires made by Bridgestone Firestone in Japan are “a lot better” than those built domestically.

oddlycalm
04-04-08, 02:37 AM
perhaps the intellectual property they acquired from CCWS was a rule book. :tony:

-Kevin :rofl: :thumbup:

oc

Chaos
04-04-08, 09:53 AM
Gimmicked qualifying hasn't really help the F1 show

I disagree. I like F1's qualifying. It's not perfect, but it does deliver action throughout the entire session.

The original 12 lap qualifying system was great for the last 5 minutes, but pretty boring up to that point.

I liked the single lap qualifying session as well, but I think each car should have had maybe 2 hop laps instead of one.

trish
04-05-08, 01:40 PM
Was this televised?

SurfaceUnits
04-05-08, 02:25 PM
Was this televised? :rofl:
hahaha
didn't even make espn20

THe IRl - were all thats left