PDA

View Full Version : Search problem

Andrew Longman
03-31-08, 01:41 PM
My computer is misbehaving when I do an internet search. Doesn't matter if I use Google, Yahoo, or whatever.

Last week I started having problems with redirects off Google searches so I switched from IE to Firefox and did a Spybot Search and Destroy scrub which took off some stuff.

Still having a problem in IE with redirects but not Firefox. However, doing a search from the toolbar in Firefox will sometimes bring up a page with a bunch of stuff that looks like this:

c+"="+d;return a}function A(a){return document.getElementById(a)}j.initialize=w;j.update Status=F;j.Img=K;
}) ();dyn.shouldShowAllImages = true;dyn.initialize("#008000", "/images%3Fq%3Dnyyankees.com%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GG GL_enUS267US268","&ei=Uh_xR9TjIY_aeYmZvJIB", "0");dyn.Img("http://www.weblo.com/domain/available/futuramamadhousetheleelazone.com/&h=450&w=296&sz=23&hl=en&start=1&sig2=991RZxgaeTlFtw04g2WUsQ","","M1MDAEi1iIbxYM:","http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TRND/FP3940~New-York-Yankees-Posters.jpg","84","127","\x3cb\x3enyyankees.com\x3c/b\x3e","","","296 x 450 -

When it does bring up search results, most of the time the link won't load or it loads a blank page.

I don't have any problems searching within a given site (e.g. youtube).

Scrubs today didn't turn up much of note and I removed them. I have the latest McAfee updates running.

Thoughts?

dando
03-31-08, 02:51 PM
Perhaps it's choking on the content on which you are searching? :gomer: :p

That's page code being dumped, so it's choking on the pages being returned by search. Did you freshly install FF when you switched? Have you done a full virus check? I dunno if there are any shared DLLs b/w IE and FF (doubt it), but something may be corrupted, so a fresh browser install might solve the problem. No probs with any other pages rendering?

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-31-08, 03:24 PM
I'd suspect some type of spyware or malware. Have you tried a lesser known search engine like Gigablast (http://www.gigablast.com/)?

Insomniac
03-31-08, 03:27 PM
c+"="+d;return a}function A(a){return document.getElementById(a)}j.initialize=w;j.update Status=F;j.Img=K;
}) ();dyn.shouldShowAllImages = true;dyn.initialize("#008000", "/images%3Fq%3Dnyyankees.com%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GG GL_enUS267US268","&ei=Uh_xR9TjIY_aeYmZvJIB", "0");dyn.Img("http://www.weblo.com/domain/available/futuramamadhousetheleelazone.com/&h=450&w=296&sz=23&hl=en&start=1&sig2=991RZxgaeTlFtw04g2WUsQ","","M1MDAEi1iIbxYM:","http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TRND/FP3940~New-York-Yankees-Posters.jpg","84","127","\x3cb\x3enyyankees.com\x3c/b\x3e","","","296 x 450 -

I just realized your problem. :p

dando
03-31-08, 03:37 PM
I just realized your problem. :p

That was my point, yo. b/w the two of ya, I don't know which to dislike more. :p ;)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-31-08, 05:41 PM
That was my point, yo. b/w the two of ya, I don't know which to dislike more. :p ;)

-Kevin

Show some sympathy. Opening day rained out :cry:

(and it hasn't rained in weeks)

I guess God is doing what He/She can to keep them from tearing down the Stadium. ;)

Now opening day will become opening night tomorrow. Sucks

Yeah the FF was a fresh download. Virus scan was done last night with latest McAfee updates

If I strip off IE and FF and reinstall it would that likely help? If there is spyware that Search and Destroy isn't finding, what do you (anybody) suggest?

(And no, no other page rendering problems)

dando
03-31-08, 05:59 PM
Show some sympathy. Opening day rained out :cry:

(and it hasn't rained in weeks)

I guess God is doing what He/She can to keep them from tearing down the Stadium.

Now opening day will become opening night tomorrow. Sucks

Karma is a bitch, yo. ;) I was actually gonna post about that in the baseball thread, but I'm busy watching Barry Zito suck against the Bums in LaLa in sunshine under a bright blue sky. :p

Lemme cogitate on this a bit more....either that or Cam will sober up shortly. ;)

-Kevin

Cam
03-31-08, 07:03 PM
Karma is a bitch, yo. ;) I was actually gonna post about that in the baseball thread, but I'm busy watching Barry Zito suck against the Bums in LaLa in sunshine under a bright blue sky. :p

Lemme cogitate on this a bit more....either that or Cam will sober up shortly. ;)

-Kevin
You mean wake up... It's 7AM here. ;) Andrew try installing AVG anti-spyware. I have found that it is pretty good at finding some malware that others wont.

dando
03-31-08, 07:53 PM
You mean wake up... It's 7AM here. ;)

I thought that was the same thing down under? :p

I have found that it is pretty good at finding some malware that others wont.

Yeah, that was the next thing I was going to suggest, but I was busy watching baseball in sunny SoCal on TV. :D

-Kevin

OW
03-31-08, 09:28 PM
Try system restore to a better time... (???)
Sometimes it works

Insomniac
03-31-08, 10:23 PM

-Kevin

Hehe, I get it now. Well, you could let up a little bit. His team did cause 18-1. What more do you want? :)

dando
04-01-08, 11:29 AM
Hehe, I get it now. Well, you could let up a little bit. His team did cause 18-1. What more do you want? :)

It was painful pulling for AL's AND Ank's team, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
04-01-08, 11:34 AM
Clear your cache and reboot.

;)

dando
04-01-08, 11:56 AM
Clear your cache and reboot.

;)

Turn you head and cough? ;)

AL, any luck so far?

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-03-08, 01:48 PM
Fixed.

Tried lots of stuff here without success. I continued to have the problem in both FF and IE.

I reloaded another FF update today and now both IE and FF are fine.

I hate computer stuff. I'd much rather work on something like a '72 MG. :D

dando
04-03-08, 01:50 PM
Fixed.

Tried lots of stuff here without success. I continued to have the problem in both FF and IE.

I reloaded another FF update today and now both IE and FF are fine.

Quit clicking on URLs 'lock sends ya, yo. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-03-08, 02:12 PM
Quit clicking on URLs 'lock sends ya, yo. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

True.

The thing that's maddening is the problem started while I was using IE. So I load a fresh version of FF and that doesn't fix it. I load an update to FF and it then fixes both IE and FF. Figure that. Makes my head hurt.

Sean Malone
04-03-08, 02:16 PM
True.

The thing that's maddening is the problem started while I was using IE. So I load a fresh version of FF and that doesn't fix it. I load an update to FF and it then fixes both IE and FF. Figure that. Makes my head hurt.

You shouldn't use IE. :)

Cam
04-04-08, 07:23 PM

Crap! Ya shoulda let me know! We just sold one! SRSLY. :cry:

You shouldn't use IE. :)

Friends don't let friends....