PDA

View Full Version : The Foyt Futility Watch -- Homestead Edition

pchall
03-28-08, 08:26 PM
Cue music: The World Turned Upside Down

HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- Scott Dixon will start from the pole in the GAINSCO Auto Insurance Indy 300 at Homestead-Miami Speedway (8 p.m. ET March 29, ESPN2) – the first race under the unified IndyCar Series banner.

Dixon recorded a four-lap qualifying cumulative time of 1 minute, 40.2341 seconds (213.341 mph average) on the 1.5-mile oval in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car.

Vision Racing's Ed Carpenter and A.J. Foyt IV surprised the field with career-best qualification runs. Carpenter's No. 20 car (213.311 mph average) will join Dixon on the front row. Foyt (212.211 mph) and Andretti Green Racing's Danica Patrick (212.129) will share Row 2.

Wow! Did HPD deliver some spinners to Vision Racing or what?:saywhat: Oh, well. This might make it look interesting for a few laps.

Team Penske's Ryan Briscoe (212.108) and Andretti Green Racing's Marco Andretti (211.838) will occupy Row 3 in the 200-lap race.

Three-time defending race champion Dan Wheldon crashed in Turn 4 on a warm-up lap and will start 24th in the 25-car field. He was uninjured. Roth Racing rookie Jay Howard's car also made contact with the SAFER Barrier in Turn 2. He'll start 25th.

dando
03-28-08, 08:29 PM
I wonder who launches 1st. Bets? :gomer:

-Kevin

Cam
03-28-08, 08:31 PM
Starting at the pointy end of the field will just give special Ed the opportunity to take out the whole field and not just the tail end. :gomer:

dando
03-28-08, 08:38 PM
Starting at the pointy end of the field will just give special Ed the opportunity to take out the whole field and not just the tail end. :gomer:

I fully expect 1/2 the field to be out by lap 10. Visible from Space III? :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

pchall
03-28-08, 08:52 PM
If it is clear tomorrow evening I'll probably see the glow in the Southeast.

I fully expect 1/2 the field to be out by lap 10. Visible from Space III? :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

gerhard911
03-28-08, 10:38 PM
Spinners ?

anyone ? anyone ? anyone ?

Bueller ?

:tony:

pchall
03-29-08, 10:09 PM
Screw it. This is just pathetic. Without even a lame and limping Champ Car as a foil, I can't even laugh at it anymore.

Goodbye and TY--FTG.

TKGAngel
03-29-08, 10:14 PM
4 cars on the lead lap at the end. 4 lousy cars.

Servia was the highest of the "transition teams," finishing in 12th, five laps down.

trish
03-29-08, 10:18 PM
If it wasn't for chat, I'd have gone to sleep. The race was a bore fest.

cart7
03-29-08, 10:32 PM
Typical foot to the floor, turn left snoozer.

CCWS boys kept it together albeit they were all way off the pace.

Servia and Justin did well.

Bruno parked a very loose car early.

Will banged into Justin early and went out.

Viso (who ever that is) was the only driver to have a real problem. Took Kanaan out of the lead. Earl race control allows him to take the restart on 3 wheels, he becomes a major chicane. :shakehead

It basically looked like anther earl roundy round with more backmarkers.

pchall
03-29-08, 10:44 PM
Well, this "explains" qualifying.

HOMESTEAD, Fla. – The Vision Racing cars driven by Ed Carpenter (No. 20) and A.J. Foyt IV (No. 2) failed post-qualification technical inspection and will start from the rear of the grid in the GAINSCO Auto Insurance Indy 300.

The sanctioning Indy Racing League does not divulge technical inspection infractions. Carpenter qualified an IndyCar Series career-high second (213.311 mph average speed over four-lap qualifying on the 1.5-mile Homestead-Miami Speedway oval) in the Menards-sponsored Dallara/Honda/Firestone. Foyt qualified a series-high third (212.211 mph).

So HPD did deliver a couple of spinners. :laugh:

extramundane
03-29-08, 10:45 PM
Well, this "explains" qualifying.

So HPD did deliver a couple of spinners. :laugh:

I toled you Larry Curry done stoled some Roush Nappycar parts.

cameraman
03-29-08, 11:25 PM
It was today?
Who knew?

SurfaceUnits
03-30-08, 02:48 AM
milkers took out a penske crapwagon:laugh:

Ankf00
03-30-08, 03:38 AM
louisville/UNC > league

Andrew Longman
03-30-08, 06:22 AM
If it wasn't for chat, I'd have gone to sleep. The race was a bore fest.

I tried. I slept

emjaya
03-30-08, 07:43 AM
No race on my TV. If Power or Briscoe start winning maybe one of the local networks will pick it up, but I won't hold my breath waiting. :\

However, NASCAR is now being shown live on Australian network TV. :gomer:

Boogity, boogity, boogity or whatever it is. :rolleyes:

OW
03-30-08, 08:00 AM
No race on my TV. If Power or Briscoe start winning maybe one of the local networks will pick it up, but I won't hold my breath waiting.

Especially since next week is a road course, there is free video from Earl Web Site.

Insomniac
03-30-08, 10:20 AM
So I take it the entire front of the field wasn't taken out by Vision and Danica panicking?

Allowed to restart with 3 wheels? Maybe Cotman should've been fired.

dando
03-30-08, 10:45 AM
So I take it the entire front of the field wasn't taken out by Vision and Danica panicking?

Apparently the Visions got sent to the back of the field for failing tech. The worry about the Danicle was whether she would sink like a rock through the field like DNF when she was on the pole in Speedtucky. :gomer:

Admittedly I flipped over to witness 'history' during one of the breaks in the UNC game and caught the Milkers 'highlight' and laughed hysterically. :laugh:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-30-08, 11:24 AM
Apparently the Visions got sent to the back of the field for failing tech. The worry about the Danicle was whether she would sink like a rock through the field like DNF when she was on the pole in Speedtucky. :gomer:

Admittedly I flipped over to witness 'history' during one of the breaks in the UNC game and caught the Milkers 'highlight' and laughed hysterically. :laugh:

-Kevin

I thought I might watch the IRL, but I ended up having no real desire. Not even a watch a train-wreck desire. I'd rather just read the futility thread (like last season). Maybe I'll tune back into pressdog. I wonder what would get me to watch a race now.

Edit: It just occurred to me. Probably reading about the race and thinking to myself either I wish I saw that or seeing if it is re-airing so I can record it. Of course, reading a futility thread probably won't induce such a reaction. :D

pchall
03-30-08, 11:56 AM
Buggery, buggery, buggery - sheep bleats.

Fixed that for ya! ;) Thought you knew about NASCRAP fans and their friends...

Racing Truth
03-30-08, 02:40 PM
4 cars on the lead lap at the end. 4 lousy cars.

Servia was the highest of the "transition teams," finishing in 12th, five laps down.

Meh. 3 cautions, bunch of teams (through no fault of their own) not really ready, all on an oval. Seems predictable to me, regardless of what spec used.

That said, cart7 is right. Barnhart letting Kanaan take that restart was an embarrassment to common sense.:shakehead

All in all, I feared it could be worse though.

Also, yeah, still flat all around, but frankly, the lack of "still there, still there..." wasn't a bad thing.

Insomniac
03-30-08, 02:50 PM
Meh. 3 cautions

Wow, I would've expected a lot more cautions than that.

Racing Truth
03-30-08, 02:54 PM
Wow, I would've expected a lot more cautions than that.

My point, precisely.

Duroc
03-30-08, 08:35 PM

I caught about 20 laps of the trucks. Pretending a ground level camera is a cartoon gopher (or is that gomer?) like in Caddyshack is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. But then NCTS was on a network and the IRL was... well I had no idea they were on.

emjaya
03-30-08, 10:44 PM

I check to see where Marcos Ambrose placed every race. Apart from that I have no idea. :confused:

Wheel-Nut
03-31-08, 10:09 AM
I caught about 20 laps of the trucks. Pretending a ground level camera is a cartoon gopher (or is that gomer?) like in Caddyshack is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. But then NCTS was on a network and the IRL was... well I had no idea they were on.

Ah yes, the Gopher Cam. He'll sell more T-Shirts than Vision Racing!! :eek:

extramundane
03-31-08, 10:14 AM

I don't suppose they ever mentioned that ESPN had a similar camera for "Thursday Night Thunder" 15 years ago, did they?

TKGAngel
03-31-08, 10:46 AM

The Daly Planet (http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/) blog rips Fox's abuse of Digger cam. Is the Gopher cute? Yes. The first five times he was shown. But like DW's phrasing, its gotten old fast.

Also of note on that site is an interesting look at how the IRL's side-by-side commercials are thought of as the bees knees by NASCAR fans, but not so much by the cartel itself.