PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Alton Brown-ians...

anait
03-26-08, 01:45 AM
Does anyone have his kitchen gear book? Bought I'm Just Here For More Food last week, to go with The Food...now I'm tempted to complete the trio.

I'm also considering buying a kitchen scale tomorrow. Anyone have one, use one for dry measures? I'm sick of playing around with accuracy in the flour department.

Insomniac
03-26-08, 10:30 AM
Does one of you have his kitchen gear book? Bought I'm Just Here For More Food last week, to go with The Food...now I'm tempted to complete the trio.

I'm also considering buying a kitchen scale tomorrow. Anyone have one, use one for dry measures? I'm sick of playing around with accuracy in the flour department.

Since getting Food Network HD, I've actually been watching it. Unfortunately, being a vegetarian means that there just isn't much on there that has relevance to me. However, Good Eats seems to show the most stuff that I could actually make.

In any case, no comment on the books, but as for a scale, you can buy kitchen scales at many places. I have a Taylor 11 pound scale that works fine.

Elmo T
03-26-08, 10:41 AM
I have all three books. There is some great information in the book, but it was the weakest of the 3.

KLang
03-26-08, 11:10 AM
Since getting Food Network HD, I've actually been watching it.

A little OT: Starting March 31, the Food Network HD will be showing the same schedule as the SD channel.

On topic: I received the Gear book as a gift. It doesn't have much for recipe's so I've not used it for much.

cameraman
03-26-08, 01:13 PM

I live and die by the scale when baking. It also helps with european recipes that use weight for almost everything.

Ankf00
03-26-08, 01:42 PM
It also helps with european recipes that use weight for almost everything.

:mad:

cameraman
03-26-08, 01:54 PM
:mad:

Ain't you supposed to be an engineer or something? Buy a balance and quit whinging.

oddlycalm
03-26-08, 01:56 PM
I got it as a gift as well. It might save a young someone some money by keeping them from making poor choices. For me about all it did was tell me that we had arrived at nearly identical conclusions.
oc

dando
03-26-08, 01:57 PM
Ain't you supposed to be an engineer or something?

Rocket scientist. :gomer:

Scales are a no brainer, and they aren't that expen$ive (usually < $30). I'm the exec and sous chef in our house, and my wife is the pastry chef.

-Kevin

anait
03-26-08, 05:25 PM
Yep, I'm committed to buying a scale. Was >this< close to the right store today, but had to buy a clothing item instead - so tomorrow will be Scale Buying Day.

Less than $30US, eh? Any names to look for, stay away from? Obviously I want one that zeroes out a container...what about the scale itself? Removable platform/tray?

dando
03-26-08, 05:30 PM
Yep, I'm committed to buying a scale. Was >this< close to the right store today, but had to buy a clothing item instead - so tomorrow will be Scale Buying Day.

Less than $30US, eh? Any names to look for, stay away from? Obviously I want one that zeroes out a container...what about the scale itself? Removable platform/tray?

Check out the selection @ Amazon.com to get an idea on the selection and some customer review info. Taylor is a pretty reliable name in kitchen tools.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-1714688-4378441?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kitchen+scale&x=0&y=0

-Kevin

anait
03-26-08, 06:08 PM
Check out the selection @ Amazon.com to get an idea on the selection and some customer review info. Taylor is a pretty reliable name in kitchen tools.

Thnx, will do. :thumbup:

cameraman
03-26-08, 06:17 PM
Obviously I want one that zeroes out a container...what about the scale itself? Removable platform/tray?

Get one that goes up to at least 5 kg, you will be surprised how heavy some mixing bowls can be.
A removable tray isn't really necessary.
Get a digital one that does both lbs & kg.
I would not buy one with a glass platen. My scale has hit the floor more than a few times.

Warlock!
03-27-08, 07:50 AM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-1714688-4378441?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kitchen+scale&x=0&y=0

-Kevin
I got this one a few months back and have had no problems whatsoever.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CVW6J0W5L._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Newline-Champagne-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B000IF77KS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-4245111-3757612?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1206618295&sr=8-3

The kids even use it to weigh out their snacks when they get home from school so they don't end up eating a whole box of Cheez-its before they know it.