PDA

View Full Version : Now that is some communist bull****

Ankf00
03-24-08, 03:15 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/23/bmw-dealer-auctions-new-m3-for-60k-on-ebay-doesnt-want-to-hon/

BMW dealer auctions new M3 for $60K on eBay, doesn't want to honor the deal

dando
03-24-08, 03:41 PM
UPDATE: 3-24-08 -- This was left on the original M3 forum thread by Ken, the nearly-defrauded winner of the eBay auction: "Sorry its taken so long to post a update. The site is very slow (understandably). This morning, BMW of Lincoln has agreed to sell me the car at a price of 60K, with certain conditions. I'll be going over the conditions with the dealership tommorow, and I hope to have everything finalized by tommorow afternoon."

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-24-08, 03:50 PM
"conditions."

Like I said. Communist bull ****.

cameraman
03-24-08, 04:09 PM
That doesn't strike me as communism.
It is just abject stupidity on the part of the dealer.

Ankf00
03-24-08, 04:58 PM
"communist ********" == colloquialism

nrc
03-24-08, 09:33 PM
I don't think you can just throw out random nouns and adjectives and call them a colloquialism. Sounds like green asparagus to me.

Don Quixote
03-24-08, 10:04 PM
Sounds like green asparagus to me.
Around these here parts we call it a tri-county aneurism. :)

Ankf00
03-24-08, 10:48 PM
hippies.

dando
03-24-08, 11:13 PM
Sounds like green asparagus to me.

You know they have this thing called white asparagus now. :)

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-25-08, 06:00 AM
In Communist Lincoln, BMW buys YOU!

oddlycalm
03-26-08, 01:53 AM
Communists I dunno, but jacktards for certain. Funny as hell really. The dealer was stupid enough to gut himself with his own knife and ended up selling the sled at his cost. :thumbup: :rofl:

For anyone that can wait a few months you can order one at MSRP (what I did on my E46) from a no-sleeze dealer. Or, if you can't wait, talk to dealers in the fly over states, buy one off their lot and have it delivered by Intercity Lines in a closed trailer for $1500.

As for the geniuses that paid $30K over sticker, for $100K there are cars I'd rather own...:cool:

oc

http://www.finalsense.com/news/image/auto/maserati-gran-turismo.jpg

Rogue Leader
03-26-08, 07:51 AM
I'm expecting the same crap to happen in 2009 when i try to pick up the new Camaro. I've already resigned to having to go out of NY to get it since the dealers here will tack on an easy $5k.

datachicane
03-26-08, 05:53 PM
Buying a car from a dealer on eBay is a serious gamble- read the guidelines for eBay Motors sometime. It's basically a glorified ad with no real obligations on the part of the seller.

My Dad learned the hard way a few years back when he bought an XK8 convertible from a dealer in LA. He called to confirm the purchase, wired the requested 50% deposit, and booked a last-minute flight, with the understanding that the dealer would pick him up at his hotel at 8:00 AM the next morning.

At 7:30 he calls, and the dealer assures him everything is set.
8:00, no sign of the limo.
He calls at 8:30, dealer apologizes for the delay, driver's on his way.
9:00, no sign of the limo, and he takes a cab to the dealership to find his XK8 parked in front of the showroom and another buyer just signing the paperwork on it. $#&! dealer was stalling while he sold it out from under him to a guy that walked in and offered $1k over my Dad's price. Needless to say he flips out in front of a showroom full of customers. Dealer finally gives in, completes the deal with my Dad while the other (equally pissed) buyer removes the golf clubs and radar detector he'd already put in the Jag. Ten minutes later and it would have been too late.

oddlycalm
03-27-08, 06:09 AM
Buying a car from a dealer on eBay is a serious gamble- read the guidelines for eBay Motors sometime. It's basically a glorified ad with no real obligations on the part of the seller.

My Dad learned the hard way a few years back when he bought an XK8 convertible from a dealer in LA. He called to confirm the purchase, wired the requested 50% deposit All true, eBay or no. I had a dealer sell a BMW 328 convertible out from under me in the 20 minutes it took to drive there were none available in a color I wanted for three more months. I learned my lesson that day.

I always have them fax me a signed sales agreement before I leave, regardless of how far away it is, and I will only deal with the general manager of the dealership. Period. Still no guarantees, but you have a lot bigger stick to punish them with if they accept money and you have a written agreement.

The way I enforce it is to send my offer to buy to the general manager via fax and I don't put my phone number on it. They can't call and dick me around. They either accept my offer or they don't. If they do their response is in writing with the description, all costs, etc. Then I call, set up the time line and arrange to send the deposit.

oc

extramundane
03-27-08, 02:36 PM
This story just keeps on going (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/26/update-bmw-north-america-notified-of-ebay-winners-plight/). The dealership has really made itself look like a bag of prolapses on this one.

On a related note, do any of you BMW guys expect to see a flood of e46 M3s on the market anytime soon? Not that I need one, but...

Insomniac
03-27-08, 03:34 PM
"Control the press." :rofl:

oddlycalm
03-27-08, 06:58 PM
This story just keeps on going (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/26/update-bmw-north-america-notified-of-ebay-winners-plight/). The dealership has really made itself look like a bag of prolapses on this one.

On a related note, do any of you BMW guys expect to see a flood of e46 M3s on the market anytime soon? Not that I need one, but... Unfortunately, many dealers are jackals that have earned their reputation the old fashioned way.

There are plenty of E46 M3's out there, but having owned one I wouldn't buy one. First, the S54 engine has a stroke that is long enough to put the piston speeds at the high end of the safe range. In addition, while BMW said the big end rod bearing failures were due to out of tolerance parts in the oil pump rod bearing failures continued at a lower rate even after the recall. My bearings were in perfect condition but I sold the car anyway after a year and got a 330ic.

Second, for an expensive performance car the suspension is awful. It is undersprung and overdamped. Harsh without offering good grip at the limit. I put an AC Schnitzer progressive suspension on mine that was perfection. A lot of people installed less expensive coil-over performance suspensions that work nice at the track but ride like a buckboard on the street. Avoid those.

Finally, most of the owners are people that drive the cars quite hard with some abusive. If you decide to get one find one that was owned by a responsible adult who maintained it. Maintenance wasn't tough, but oil changes are spendy as 8 quarts of the special Castrol synthetic runs over $100 and with a filter figure $120.00. It's good for 12,000 miles or 1yr, whichever comes first, but some of the young guys I knew were changing annually regardless. I know, why buy a $55K car and cheap out on oil, but they did.

oc

extramundane
03-27-08, 08:04 PM
There are plenty of E46 M3's out there, but having owned one I wouldn't buy one. First, the S54 engine has a stroke that is long enough to put the piston speeds at the high end of the safe range. In addition, while BMW said the big end rod bearing failures were due to out of tolerance parts in the oil pump rod bearing failures continued at a lower rate even after the recall. My bearings were in perfect condition but I sold the car anyway after a year and got a 330ic.

Second, for an expensive performance car the suspension is awful. It is undersprung and overdamped. Harsh without offering good grip at the limit. I put an AC Schnitzer progressive suspension on mine that was perfection. A lot of people installed less expensive coil-over performance suspensions that work nice at the track but ride like a buckboard on the street. Avoid those.

Finally, most of the owners are people that drive the cars quite hard with some abusive. If you decide to get one find one that was owned by a responsible adult who maintained it. Maintenance wasn't tough, but oil changes are spendy as 8 quarts of the special Castrol synthetic runs over $100 and with a filter figure $120.00. It's good for 12,000 miles or 1yr, whichever comes first, but some of the young guys I knew were changing annually regardless. I know, why buy a $55K car and cheap out on oil, but they did.

oc

I knew someone would be able to talk me out of it. Thanks! :thumbup: