PDA

View Full Version : Wind Tunnel Vasser interview

trish
03-23-08, 09:48 PM
I'm flipping between channels, so I probably missed a bunch of things. Anyway, Jimmy will race at Long Beach.

Jimmy says Chip wants them to do well, and if it wasn't for them his team would be in the same position as NHL. lol

He also says he and Christiano might team up in a sports car race.

That's all I caught.

CQ
03-23-08, 10:06 PM
I'm flipping between channels, so I probably missed a bunch of things. Anyway, Jimmy will race at Long Beach.

Jimmy says Chip wants them to do well, and if it wasn't for them his team would be in the same position as NHL. lol

He also says he and Christiano might team up in a sports car race.

That's all I caught.

I pretty much saw the whole thing including the RM interview.

Vasser essentially said remurgifying was necessary because everyone was broke.

He pointed out that the turbos and the DP01 can run circles around the dog-lara.

He got almost visibly annoyed when Despain pointed out how unhappy the CC fans are about this.

RM pointed out that Gore is a crook and challenged Despain to question Vasser about it. Jimmie ran like a rabbit.

He and KK are looking at sports cars for the future. My take: no sponsors this year & we're out.

trish
03-23-08, 10:07 PM
I think KK will be gone as soon as he lives up to whatever agreement he made with TG.

CQ
03-23-08, 10:19 PM
I think KK will be gone as soon as he lives up to whatever agreement he made with TG.

Some discussion going on about him looking to get into F1. It was where he was heading when he discovered CART. Maybe he and Stoddart will put something together.

Rogue Leader
03-23-08, 10:45 PM
Some discussion going on about him looking to get into F1. It was where he was heading when he discovered CART. Maybe he and Stoddart will put something together.

I believe some of PKVs assets are made up of old Arrows F1 assets. Wasn't KK part of the group that bought Arrows F1 and tried to enter it in the next season only to get shot down by Bernie because they only got the team's assets and not their place in the WDC?? Or something like that....

SteveH
03-23-08, 10:56 PM

Stoddardt attended the Melbourne F1 race and was asked about returning to F1. His answer was not as long as Max Mosley is involved. I'm pretty sure he means that, his last few years as a team owner/principal were full of run ins with Mosley.

oddlycalm
03-24-08, 01:21 AM
Last weekend I heard that Cristiano supposed to be testing a Grand Am car for the Bob Stallings/Gainsco Grand Am team last week in Dallas. Hadn't heard how the test went. I wish him well and that seems like a good place to get a foot in the water.

F1 for KK? Wouldn't seem to me that his team ownership resume qualifies him for that, but maybe his wallet does.

oc

CQ
03-24-08, 06:49 AM
I forgot the most interesting tidbit of all. Seems the DP01s will have some mystery future and will not be just obsoleted. They be plans!

Rogue Leader
03-24-08, 07:57 AM
I forgot the most interesting tidbit of all. Seems the DP01s will have some mystery future and will not be just obsoleted. They be plans!

Yeah, they are the new GP Masters cars :gomer:

extramundane
03-24-08, 09:47 AM
F1 for KK? Wouldn't seem to me that his team ownership resume qualifies him for that, but maybe his wallet does.

Hmmm....poured millions upon millions into a team that managed to eke out a whopping one win in 5 years, changed drivers as the wind changed direction, and attracted virtually zero real sponsorship?

Yep, he's F1 material. Maybe he & Stoddart can buy Toro Rosso back for twice what Stoddart got for it in 2005. :thumbup:

Insomniac
03-24-08, 11:39 AM
Hmmm....poured millions upon millions into a team that managed to eke out a whopping one win in 5 years, changed drivers as the wind changed direction, and attracted virtually zero real sponsorship?

Yep, he's F1 material. Maybe he & Stoddart can buy Toro Rosso back for twice what Stoddart got for it in 2005. :thumbup:

Would that deal hinge on using Cosworth engines and running the 2 seaters?

Anteater
03-24-08, 08:25 PM
Last weekend I heard that Cristiano supposed to be testing a Grand Am car for the Bob Stallings/Gainsco Grand Am team last week in Dallas. Hadn't heard how the test went. I wish him well and that seems like a good place to get a foot in the water.

Who told you that? ;)

I saw the Wind Tunnel episode, complete with footage showing CdM testing a Daytona Prototype. A little internet sleuthing found this article dated 3/23/08:

The Dave Coffin Motorsports Show has expanded to two hours, now being heard from 10 a.m. to noon every Saturday on KNRY AM-1240 and rebroadcast Saturday evenings.

Next week, the highlight of the show will be former 2002 Champ Car champion Cristiano da Matta. The Brazilian went to F1 after winning his Champ Car title then returned to the American series and was nearly killed in a testing accident when a deer wandered across the track at Road America.

Da Matta has defied all the odds and this past week he tested in a Bob Stallings Racing Daytona Prototype in Texas. The team is trying to arrange sponsorship to put together a dream pairing of da Matta and 1996 CART champion Jimmy Vasser at the Monterey Festival of Speed.

Adam Saal, who handles communications for the Gainsco/Bob Stallings entry in the Rolex series, said the crew working with da Matta was amazed at the recovery he has made.

http://www.montereyherald.com/sports/ci_8669119?nclick_check=1

I know it's "just Grand Am", but what a great comeback story for Cristiano if it works out!
:thumbup:

Spicoli
03-24-08, 09:10 PM
Didn;t Adam Saal used to work for CART?

answer: duh.

Adam Saal joined CART as the Vice President of Communications in January 2002, as part of the management restructuring initiated by President and CEO Pook...

trish
03-24-08, 09:13 PM
I've been trying figure out how to embed this video, but I can't so here's a link. da Matta (http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1336737893/bclid595223643/bctid1468256914)

Anteater
03-24-08, 10:37 PM
Awesome video--thanks, Trish! :)

FCYTravis
03-25-08, 02:19 AM
Yes, Adam was VP of communications for CART, then he was managing director of communications for Grand-Am for the last three years. Now he's doing my old job with Bob.

Adam's a stand-up guy with a lot of stories to tell.

oddlycalm
03-25-08, 03:00 AM
Who told you that? ;) All names are withheld to protect the guilty...:D Nice to see you here.:thumbup:

oc