PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car out of state

WickerBill
03-22-08, 06:40 PM
Ya sick of my car posts yet?

(don't answer that)

Going to a dealer on Monday in Centerville OH. Two questions:

1. When I buy, will I get to skip the OH sales tax since I'm going to register it and pay sales tax at my IN license branch?

2. What's the story on tags? Can the dealer give me paper temp tags from OH, and I'll be cool in IN until I get to the BMV?

dando
03-22-08, 07:31 PM
Ya sick of my car posts yet?

(don't answer that)

Going to a dealer on Monday in Centerville OH. Two questions:

1. When I buy, will I get to skip the OH sales tax since I'm going to register it and pay sales tax at my IN license branch?

2. What's the story on tags? Can the dealer give me paper temp tags from OH, and I'll be cool in IN until I get to the BMV?

Yes and yes...maybe. :) When you buy from a private owner, you pay the taxes when you register the vehicle. Temp tags are valid across state lines until they expire. I bought a car in the state up north last year via eBay and that's how it went for me. However, since you are buying from a dealer, I'm not sure if that changes things. It could be that you pay OH taxes and not Indyanna taxes, and just end up transferring the registration from OH to IN.

What did you decide to buy? MR2? ;)

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
03-22-08, 11:00 PM
When I bought my MR2 in Georgia, I paid Ohio sales tax. I couldn't get an Ohio temp tag without the title, and couldn't get a GA temp tag without actually being in GA, so I just threw the plate from one of my other cars on for the drive.

When Stu bought his WRX from a dealer in TN, I know he was given a TN temp tag, but I don't know who he paid taxes to.

cameraman
03-23-08, 12:28 AM
If you are buying from an out of state dealer you pay taxes there and Utah will make you pay the difference, assuming that Utah's tax rate is higher, when you get the Utah tags.

oddlycalm
03-23-08, 04:10 AM
What is this tax you speak of....? :confused: Seriously, we don't have a sales tax and we don't pay the local tax if we buy out of state.

When I picked up the Audi A6 from the dealer in Salt Lake City all I paid was the price of the care I flew in on my way back from a business trip, did the paper work, got the certificate of origin, a Utah temp sticker and was on my way in an hour. The temp sticker was valid for 30 day.

oc

Andrew Longman
03-23-08, 08:50 AM
When I bought a Prelude a few years back from a PA dealer, he did all the paperwork and gave me Jersey plates and registration. I drove home exactly as if I had bought the car on my side of the river.

Stu
03-25-08, 07:57 AM
i bought from a dealer out of state

you pay for the car, no taxes.

he gives you XYZ state temp tags

you drive home

you go to register the vehicle

you pay the sales tax when you register it

simple as that

WickerBill
03-25-08, 09:09 AM
I ended up buying one in BFE Indiana, so I avoided all of this anyway. Thanks though; I might need this info when I buy again in 8 years!

dando
03-25-08, 09:11 AM
BFE Indiana

That's kinda redundant, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-25-08, 07:19 PM
That's kinda redundant, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin

You're in OHIO. Neither of us can really claim cultural mecca status over the other...

Ankf00
03-25-08, 07:20 PM
You're in OHIO. Neither of us can really claim cultural mecca status over the other...

now you've gone and done it, just great... why not swing at a bee hive next time?

:tony:

Sean O'Gorman
03-25-08, 09:15 PM
Browns, Bengals, Indians, Reds, Cavs, Blue Jackets, Buckeyes, vs. Colts, and, uh...Notre Dame? :confused:

dando
03-25-08, 09:35 PM

OSU >> than :gomer: Dame. :P ;)

So whatcha end up buying, WB?

-Kevin

dando
03-25-08, 09:37 PM
Browns, Bengals, Indians, Reds, Cavs, Blue Jackets, Buckeyes, vs. Colts, and, uh...Notre Dame? :confused:

You forgot the Pacers and the Indyanna 497.5. :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
03-25-08, 10:04 PM
I figured I was doing them a credit. ;)

Insomniac
03-25-08, 10:24 PM

If you include the Blue Jackets you might as well include the Crew. And if you include OSU, you might as well include...ahh, never mind. ;)

WickerBill
03-26-08, 06:15 AM

Oooh hoo hoo, y'all got SPORTS TEAMS!! My gawd, you must be rootin' tootin' high-falutin' bluebloods! Break out the cham-pag-knee and hold yer pinkie finger up!!

Indiana is full of rednecks. So is Ohio. The point I'm making is that you poking fun at Indiana is like Britney calling Federline "stupid". Come on. Neither is exactly Einstein.

nrc
03-26-08, 03:38 PM
Oooh hoo hoo, y'all got SPORTS TEAMS!! My gawd, you must be rootin' tootin' high-falutin' bluebloods! Break out the cham-pag-knee and hold yer pinkie finger up!!

Indiana is full of rednecks. So is Ohio. The point I'm making is that you poking fun at Indiana is like Britney calling Federline "stupid". Come on. Neither is exactly Einstein.

Dood, you don't know. Columbus was "the next Seattle" back in the '90s when anyone thought there would be a "next Seattle." :)

And it's not just rednecks. We've also got hillbillies. We've got old money hillbillies in Cincinnati and blue collar rednecks in Cleveland and every flavor in between.

WickerBill
03-26-08, 06:11 PM
And it's not just rednecks. We've also got hillbillies. We've got old money hillbillies in Cincinnati and blue collar rednecks in Cleveland and every flavor in between.

Are you sayin' we ain't diverse over hyar?

Hell, we even have some people here who don't look nothin' like me!

(and now I've completed my second hijacking of a thread in a week... at least this one was my own)