PDA

View Full Version : My firewall hates the Chat function

cameraman
03-22-08, 12:38 AM
My firewall is preventing the chat client from connecting. It works just fine when I turn the firewall off.:cry:

Does anyone know how I might set up port forwarding to get it to work? I know how to use the modem control panel I just have no idea what ports this program requires.

dando
03-22-08, 01:01 AM
My firewall is preventing the chat client from connecting. It works just fine when I turn the firewall off.:cry:

Does anyone know how I might set up port forwarding to get it to work? I know how to use the modem control panel I just have no idea what ports this program requires.

Did you try the chat help 411?

# If you have difficulty with the Java chat client you can also access chat through the Blitzed.org CGI chat client here.
# You can also use your own IRC client to access the chat room. Here is the server information:

* SERVER: irc.blitzed.org
* PORT: 6667
* ROOM: #offcamber

-Kevin

cameraman
03-22-08, 01:17 AM
I think that 6667 is the remote ip port. I need to know what port the java client is trying to use on my machine. (I think)

Ankf00
03-22-08, 02:59 AM
meh, no ones there anyway

Insomniac
03-22-08, 10:13 AM
You probably need to open port 113 for incoming connections.

KLang
03-22-08, 10:33 AM
If your firewall is blocking it, shouldn't there be an entry in a log saying so?

dando
03-22-08, 11:12 AM
I've got nuttin' in my router log showing which port is being accessed. :irked:

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-22-08, 01:11 PM
meh, no ones there anyway

That's cuz NO ONE can get in. I gave up ages ago.

edit: OK, I just tried it again. The pop up works if I accept the certificate that has expired and is "not trusted"

nrc
03-22-08, 07:56 PM
There were eight or ten in there for the last F1 race.

Our firewall allows outgoing connections by default. I've never had to open an incoming port for it. :/

When I'm tinkering with things next month I'll see if I can find a good replacement for the chat client. It probably won't eliminate firewall problems but it may smooth over some of the java issues.

Cam
03-23-08, 06:39 AM
If you are behind a DSL/cable router WTF are you using a firewall anyway?

Insomniac
03-23-08, 11:43 AM

Most consumer routers have built in firewalls. (Especially wireless ones.)

Cam
03-23-08, 08:27 PM
Most consumer routers have built in firewalls. (Especially wireless ones.)

That's my point. If you are, you can turn off any software protection and still be quite secure.

cameraman
03-24-08, 07:02 AM

:confused:

Just using NAT is good enough?

Lord knows things (like the F1 live timing page) work better with it shut off.

Networking ain't my gig in case you hadn't guessed.

Cam
03-24-08, 08:03 AM
:confused:

Just using NAT is good enough?

Lord knows things (like the F1 live timing page) work better with it shut off.

Networking ain't my gig in case you hadn't guessed.

All things MSFT work better when disabled... ;)

Insomniac
03-24-08, 08:50 AM
That's my point. If you are, you can turn off any software protection and still be quite secure.

Ohhh, I assumed he meant he knew how to control his hardware firewall software. I do find the benefit of a software firewall when it can tell you what is outgoing. Of course, once ZA started to cause BSoD and became bloatware, I stopped using it.

cameraman
03-24-08, 01:55 PM
All things MSFT work better when disabled... ;)

MSFT:confused:

Okay, I'm talking about the firewall built into the Actiontec 701-wg DSL modem. That is the one giving me problems. If I turn the Actiontec firewall off everything works just fine even though the Macintosh OS 10.5.2 firewalls are all turned on.

It goes DSL modem => switch => much cat 5e => several macintoshes and an apple 802.11N basestation running in bridge mode.

Insomniac
03-24-08, 02:13 PM

Okay, I'm talking about the firewall built into the Actiontec 701-wg DSL modem. That is the one giving me problems. If I turn the Actiontec firewall off everything works just fine even though the Macintosh OS 10.5.2 firewalls are all turned on.

It goes DSL modem => switch => much cat 5e => several macintoshes and an apple 802.11N basestation running in bridge mode.

MSFT = Microsoft (It's the stock symbol (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT).) Others will abbreviate it MS or M$.

Have you tried port forwarding 113 to the machine you are trying to run the chat software on? Some IRC servers look for an IDENT response and that is on 113. It is not initiated by you, so the firewall would block it.

cameraman
03-24-08, 02:19 PM
My point was no Microsoft products are involved.

I have tried forwarding port 113 with no success.

Insomniac
03-24-08, 02:23 PM
Here is a web client provided by the Blitzed network you can try:

http://cgiirc.blitzed.org/

Also, when I use an IRC client the blitzed server checks the IDENT.

* Connecting to irc.blitzed.org (6667)
-
-cabernet.ca.us.blitzed.org- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
-cabernet.ca.us.blitzed.org- *** Checking Ident
-
* Identd request from 209.237.247.88
* Identd replied: 3304, 6667 : USERID : UNIX : ZZZZZZ
-
-cabernet.ca.us.blitzed.org- *** Found your hostname
-
-cabernet.ca.us.blitzed.org- *** Got Ident response

Cam
03-24-08, 06:29 PM

MY bad... I fergot you are a non-softie. :\

nrc
03-24-08, 08:54 PM
What messages are you getting when you try to connect?

trish
03-24-08, 09:35 PM
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Looking up your hostname...
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Found your hostname, cached
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Checking Ident
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Got Ident response
You match the signature of a known spambot so this is a just a probe to check you aren't. If you're a real human, please ignore this!
Error : Closing Link: 0.0.0.0 (Invalid username [Test_???])
Disconnected from irc.blitzed.org

This is what I get. Darn sausages!

emjaya
03-24-08, 10:34 PM
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Looking up your hostname...
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Found your hostname, cached
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Checking Ident
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- *** Got Ident response
You match the signature of a known spambot so this is a just a probe to check you aren't. If you're a real human, please ignore this!
Error : Closing Link: 0.0.0.0 (Invalid username [Test_???])

This is what I get. Darn sausages!

The same here. We is spambots.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/emjaya/spambot.jpg

nrc
03-24-08, 10:47 PM
I'm thinking about how to make chat more accessible and reliable. The two main options are a stand-alone chat system or another IRC based system. I know some prefer and IRC based chat so they can use their favorite IRC client.

What's your preference?

Ankf00
03-24-08, 10:52 PM
if it's as easy as AJAX Chat, I wouldn't mind stand alone

Insomniac
03-24-08, 11:27 PM
The same here. We is spambots.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/emjaya/spambot.jpg

Seems like you're getting kicked for having a default username.

nrc
03-25-08, 12:11 AM
Seems like you're getting kicked for having a default username.

Seems odd since the vBulletin integration piece is supposed to pass along the username from the forum. :\

Insomniac
03-25-08, 09:54 AM
Seems odd since the vBulletin integration piece is supposed to pass along the username from the forum. :\

I also get that same message when using the Chat popup. Interestingly, the Test_??? is the name of the Application and the digital certificate has expired.

On other chat options, I don't think it matters is you stop using IRC if you're going to mothball Cosworth.

dando
03-25-08, 12:25 PM

I remember a chat last season when everyone logged in as the default user name and chatmaster Steve requested that everyone change to their forum name. Worked fine for me for the Ozzie F1 race, tho (I was on a Mac for that race, but on my Windoze laptop previously).

-Kevin

cameraman
03-25-08, 01:23 PM
I just shut off the firewall for the F1 race. The chat function works fine when it is off. That port forwarding has to be configured using Unix terminal commands and setting it up so that ident commands get forwarded through the firewall in the modem and through the airport bridge to the powerbook which isn't at all straight forward. I haven't figured out how to get the base station to forward any port when it is running in bridge mode.

Truth be told it would probably be quicker and easier to just pull that last cat 5e line to the living room so I could just plug the silly computer into the lan. The port forwarding works just fine if the base station is taken out of the picture.

devilmaster
03-26-08, 01:56 AM
I remember a chat last season when everyone logged in as the default user name and chatmaster Steve requested that everyone change to their forum name. Worked fine for me for the Ozzie F1 race, tho (I was on a Mac for that race, but on my Windoze laptop previously).

-Kevin

iirc, was that because people were logging into chat using the actual www.blitzed.org chat entry? if one uses that, the chatname is defaulted to goat[number].

asking people to switch was so that people recognise each other, and so I could denounce people properly to the bosses. ;)

besides, a room full of goats and Cam gets excited. :runs: ;)

trish
04-19-08, 05:50 PM
What does it mean when it says you have an invalid username?

dando
04-19-08, 05:56 PM
What does it mean when it says you have an invalid username?

You have an invalid user name. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

trish
04-19-08, 06:05 PM
Now the guys in sausage are threatening me.

-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- You have been throttled for 5 minutes for too many connections in a short period of time. Further connections in this period will reset your throttle and you will have to wait longer.
-sausage.tx.us.blitzed.org- When you return, if you are throttled again, your throttle will last longer.
Error : Your host is trying to (re)connect too fast -- throttled.

I have to wait longer to not be connected.

nrc
04-19-08, 06:46 PM
Considering that we keep finding new ways for the chat to be broken faster than we're finding solution I think I'm going to have to overhaul the whole thing. :P

dando
04-19-08, 06:49 PM
I couldn't get in either, where I previously could. :(

-Kevin