PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Race

Napoleon
01-09-03, 05:19 PM
New deal in works for future of Cleveland race and other interesting details, like IMG now has an out if the race is not a CART race

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1042108628153540.xml

rabbit
01-09-03, 05:29 PM
Through 2007, hmmm; how long does CART have left on its deal with IMG to promote the race?

Officials are looking at the possibility of racing on a Saturday night, but Hearns said it would take a massive lighting effort.

We all have differing opinions on night races, but I'll try anything once. :cool:

Napoleon
01-09-03, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Through 2007, hmmm; how long does CART have left on its deal with IMG to promote the race?

Don't know, no offense, but I have never read a story in the paper that if I was familiar with the story I could tell there was a major factual error or omission (and I really mean never). So I wonder what it doesn't say.

Since its a public record I may swing by city hall when I am down there next and pick up a copy of what is proposed.

rabbit
01-09-03, 05:46 PM
The story did seem fairly vague and incomplete.

mnkywrch
01-09-03, 05:52 PM
Night would be cool... but would it draw enough additional income to offset the costs?

Napoleon
01-10-03, 07:28 PM
It was announced on TV evening news that CART and IMG have scheduled a news conference for next thursday.

cart7
01-10-03, 07:42 PM
A night race at Cleveland? I don't know. Forget about the cost and logistics of lighting the track, I'm wondering how easy it will be for the drivers to drive the course. The track is so flat with the brake points difficult enough to pick up during the day, I wonder how it would be at night.

Wonder what the driver input on this would be??

Napoleon
01-10-03, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by cart7
A night race at Cleveland?

That basically was the backdrop behind the sportscaster.

brian stouder
01-10-03, 11:14 PM
I would LOVE to do the Cleveland race. Did Road America last summer, and I've always wanted to go to Cleveland's race. It looks family/wife friendly, since the area also offers the Rock and Roll hall of fame, and the amusement park thing over at Giaga Lake (or however you spell that). We visited Sea World twice in years past, but I understand it no longer exists over there.

Napoleon
01-11-03, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by brian stouder
We visited Sea World twice in years past, but I understand it no longer exists over there.

It was bought by Geauga Lake so is still operational under some other name, although at first they had no whale since the Sea World people took their whale with them.

pchall
01-11-03, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
It was bought by Geauga Lake so is still operational under some other name, although at first they had no whale since the Sea World people took their whale with them.

If the IRL ever raced at Cleveland I bet they would offer to lend a couple of their whales to the site-formerly-known-as-Sea World during the off season. ;)

Railbird
01-11-03, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a night race to me

race:http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1042289700118870.xml

Napoleon
01-11-03, 02:14 PM
Does sound interesting. I will try to get a copy of the city contract ahead of time and see if it has any clues.

Eagle104
01-12-03, 04:17 PM
I'm kind of torn on this one because I thought the city backdrop as well as the lake made for great looks for this particular race. But I think it'll still be cool...worth a try.

nrc
01-12-03, 05:48 PM
If Cleveland is smart they'll have their skyline lit up for it, so that would be pretty cool.

My concern is that they have the course lit well enough that the spectators don't lose the great view of the action they have right now.

mello
01-12-03, 08:07 PM
Booked my rooms today just incase. Only way we are going is if it is a night race. Can't afford anymore vacation days this year. Lakewood Days Inn only 49 bucks a night.

Napoleon
01-12-03, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by nrc
If Cleveland is smart they'll have their skyline lit up for it, so that would be pretty cool.

Having worked downtown on and off I can assure you that a memo ends up on your desk, if you have a window (yes I have gotten windows in the big buildings downtown so I am close to being a somebody) that starts from the mayor's office or somewhere like that that ask you to keep your lights on during important events, like monday night football or the world series.

They have always been very effective.

Napoleon
01-13-03, 02:08 PM
Well I stopped at the Cleveland City Clerk's office and the Ordinance is even more vague then the newspaper article. It makes no mention of any other activities other then auto racing and makes no mention of CART. Likely the other details in the article came from either the city or an IMG official who attended the council committee meeting.

I have had extensive dealings with the city in the past and this is SOP for them to have a vague ordinance and you hope to clean up all the details with the law department after the fact.

It is to be voted on at 2pm this afternoon. It was entered as an emergency ordinance (about 90% of city business is done by "emergency" ordinance) so it will have to get everyones approval, otherwise it has to be read for 3 weeks and then pass with a majority.