PDA

View Full Version : NHL Out Of Sebring Test

Corner5
03-19-08, 10:10 AM
"Having only taken delivery of the first two Dallara-Hondas at the beginning of March, Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing ran out of time to be able to attend the Sebring session. The experienced team continues to work hard to complete the cars in time for the Homestead test on 24-25 March.

NHLR has confirmed that it will continue to run already-signed Champ Car duo Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal in the unified series, and both drivers have expressed their disappointment at missing a rare opportunity to try the Dallara-Honda combination ahead of the season."

http://racing.auto123.com/en/racing/news/index,view.spy?artid=95694

What a half-baked series.:shakehead

Andrew Longman
03-19-08, 10:22 AM
I don't make much of it. Time is very short. Traveling to FL to test without sufficient spares is a waste of time. Other teams may have a different definition of "sufficient" depending on how desperate they are for test data. Most CC teams, including NHL, probably consider 08 as a throw-away year best used as a prolonged test session anyway.

Insomniac
03-19-08, 11:38 AM
I don't make much of it. Time is very short. Traveling to FL to test without sufficient spares is a waste of time. Other teams may have a different definition of "sufficient" depending on how desperate they are for test data. Most CC teams, including NHL, probably consider 08 as a throw-away year best used as a prolonged test session anyway.

I agree. A single test isn't going to catch them up to TCGR, Penske and AGR. I'm not sure I'd feel so comfortable shaking down the cars in opening practice though. Wasn't there a rumor of an ex-CC only teams test for Homestead before the season starts?

dando
03-19-08, 12:17 PM
I agree. A single test isn't going to catch them up to TCGR, Penske and AGR. I'm not sure I'd feel so comfortable shaking down the cars in opening practice though. Wasn't there a rumor of an ex-CC only teams test for Homestead before the season starts?

The first race is next weekend. When would they have a test for CC teams? There's only the 26th and 27th available before practice, quals and the race on Fri and Sat.

-Kevin

Accipiter
03-19-08, 01:13 PM
It's probably their attention to detail that has them completely re-building those crappy fit and finish Dallaras from the ground up instead of just bolting them together and calling that good enough.

TravelGal
03-19-08, 01:31 PM
The first race is next weekend. When would they have a test for CC teams? There's only the 26th and 27th available before practice, quals and the race on Fri and Sat.

-Kevin

They would have a test for the CC teams any time before THEIR first race which is the race after Motegi, isn't it?

dando
03-19-08, 01:50 PM
They would have a test for the CC teams any time before THEIR first race which is the race after Motegi, isn't it?

From what I've read former CCWS teams are racing next weekend. Seems pretty foolish for the first test to be the first race. :saywhat:

-Kevin

robot9000
03-19-08, 02:40 PM
Can you just imagine what a car looks like once it has done a tour with DnR, Foyt or Visions ? Not saying the crew guys are hacks or anything, I'm sure they do their best, but I don't think they have the same money or resources that NHL is used to seeing in the care and maintenance of a car.

In other words, NHL is probably still waiting for all the epoxy to cure and for the parts to come back from the carbon shops.

If its a parts issue, what about all that 'good will' talk that was going on? I gotta believe that whatever NHL need to finish the car (it its a parts issue), Chip, Roger or Mikey have 3 of.

devilmaster
03-19-08, 04:19 PM
Seems pretty foolish for the first test to be the first race. :saywhat:

-Kevin

it is the earl, after all....... ;)

TKGAngel
03-19-08, 04:37 PM
Can you just imagine what a car looks like once it has done a tour with DnR, Foyt or Visions ? Not saying the crew guys are hacks or anything, I'm sure they do their best, but I don't think they have the same money or resources that NHL is used to seeing in the care and maintenance of a car.

In other words, NHL is probably still waiting for all the epoxy to cure and for the parts to come back from the carbon shops.

If its a parts issue, what about all that 'good will' talk that was going on? I gotta believe that whatever NHL need to finish the car (it its a parts issue), Chip, Roger or Mikey have 3 of.

But isn't NHL's partner RLR? Does Bobby Ray have three of anything in the shop these days?

robot9000
03-19-08, 04:45 PM
But isn't NHL's partner RLR? Does Bobby Ray have three of anything in the shop these days?

I thinks its been a while since Bobby had that kind of Juice. This isn't your fathers Miller Genuine Draft team, for sure.

dando
03-19-08, 05:01 PM

He's prolly gots three of his old C^RT tubs in the shop. ;) Keep in mind that RLR is the Bimmer ALMS team, so they've prolly gots a bunch of Bimmer pieces there. Just prior to the C^RT implosion, they built a brand spanking new facility in Hillyards (sic). I enjoy flipping it off when I drive by it. :D

-Kevin

dando
03-20-08, 04:25 PM
Huh?

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-power-leads-transition-test-at-sebring/

Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing didn’t get its Honda engines until late Tuesday so Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal are not here. But they will drive to Indy on Saturday, where Tony George will fly them to Homestead in his private plane for Monday’s test on the oval.

Good thing :tony:'s not flying them down in a whirly bird. :gomer:

-Kevin