PDA

View Full Version : Andretti Buying Toronto GP

nrc
03-19-08, 12:54 AM
In a surprise announcement today, Andretti Green Promotions, LLC revealed that it has signed a letter of intent to purchase the assets of the Grand Prix Association of Toronto Corp.

This means the subsidiary of the Indy Racing League team owned by Michael Andretti and partners is in the process of purchasing the Toronto race owned by Kevin Kalkhoven, one of the owners of the Champ Car World Series that recently applied for bankruptcy. The bid does not affect the race for 2008, which is still cancelled.
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/347425

High Sided
03-19-08, 03:17 AM
2009 and on will begin the complete rebuilding of cart, now tony can spin around in his chair and let the real boys rebuild the series, andretti, penski,
rahal, ganassi, newmas/haas, etc...

oddlycalm
03-19-08, 03:21 AM
Excuse me while I barf...

Glad Toronto will get a race back, sorry it's going to be owned by Weasel & Jackal.

oc

opinionated ow
03-19-08, 04:52 AM
Thank goodness it is not dead...

TKGAngel
03-19-08, 08:09 AM
Did anyone else catch the caption on the pic of Mikey with that article?

Michael Andretti, the winningest driver in CART's history, pictured in July 23, 2002.

They had to dig almost 6 years back into the archives for a photo of him? That's pretty ridiculous for a media outlet these days.

Chaos
03-19-08, 08:38 AM
Did anyone else catch the caption on the pic of Mikey with that article?

They had to dig almost 6 years back into the archives for a photo of him? That's pretty ridiculous for a media outlet these days.

he doesn't smile often

extramundane
03-19-08, 08:45 AM
Sources have told thestar.com it’s possible the race could be moved to a location at Downsview Park if agreement to continue the race at the CNE is not reached with the city of Toronto.

I've not been that far north in Toronto- would a race in that area fly?

chop456
03-19-08, 08:51 AM
would a race in that area fly?

If they're using Dallaras.

extramundane
03-19-08, 09:06 AM
If they're using Dallaras.

Most excellent. :thumbup:

Audi_A4
03-19-08, 09:26 AM
I've not been that far north in Toronto- would a race in that area fly?

Downsview Park is walking distance to a subway station, there are major highways closeby yes it would work there. There is also an airport on site. I wonder if they would be able to do an airport circuit

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Downsview+Park&sll=43.826849,-79.468811&sspn=0.00853,0.020943&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14&iwloc=addr

Andrew Longman
03-19-08, 09:42 AM
Yes it could work, but being downtown under the CN tower is so much better and more prestigious. And I think downtown works better for sponsors

Any road race outside the US is driving the gomers nuts though

KLang
03-19-08, 09:52 AM
Another race sponsored by Honda?

extramundane
03-19-08, 10:31 AM
Yes it could work, but being downtown under the CN tower is so much better and more prestigious. And I think downtown works better for sponsors

That's kinda what I was thinking. The farthest north I've really been is U. of Toronto area and while I liked the area, it didn't have the same vibe as the Exhibition Place area.

Any road race outside the US is driving the gomers nuts though

I think the harsh reality of The New IndyCar is slapping some of those folks in the face right about now. Too bad, so sad :rofl:

Andrew Longman
03-19-08, 10:46 AM
I think the harsh reality of The New IndyCar is slapping some of those folks in the face right about now. Too bad, so sad :rofl:

What's also happening is the legacy of the White Paper is morphing from team owners owning the series to team owners owning the events. I see Clevelend coming back with Lanigan. LB = KK. AGR = StP and TO. It doesn't take much to tip the scales of influence on TG where his series needs the owners more than they need him. These guys can always go ALMS racing or bring ALMS/GA to their events.

I'm not saying that it will come push to shove, but it doesn't need to. They could have enough of a say to influence specs, schedule, sanction fees and purse. That's all the White Paper sought to achieve.

Sean Malone
03-19-08, 11:36 AM
What's also happening is the legacy of the White Paper is morphing from team owners owning the series to team owners owning the events. I see Clevelend coming back with Lanigan. LB = KK. AGR = StP and TO. It doesn't take much to tip the scales of influence on TG where his series needs the owners more than they need him. These guys can always go ALMS racing or bring ALMS/GA to their events.

I'm not saying that it will come push to shove, but it doesn't need to. They could have enough of a say to influence specs, schedule, sanction fees and purse. That's all the White Paper sought to achieve.

that's an interesting observation Andrew. :)

G.
03-19-08, 12:06 PM
In a surprise announcement today, Andretti Green Promotions, LLC revealed that it has signed a letter of intent to purchase the assets of the Grand Prix Association of Toronto Corp.Why is it a surprising announcement? Mikey's wanted Toronto since the day he moved over to the earl.

I fully expected this, tbh.

Chaos
03-19-08, 01:09 PM
being a Toronto resident, I fear this race is gone for good.

The city here has a short attention span, and ever since Molson pulled its primary sponsorship, it has not been a focal point as it once was. Taking this year off with be the death of this race.

I hope I am wrong though.

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-08, 01:24 PM
Wasn't this originally in the Champ Car forum?

dando
03-19-08, 01:25 PM
Wasn't this originally in the Champ Car forum?

Yes. That's where I posted my reply. NRC rightly moved it.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-08, 01:50 PM
But didn't he create the thread?

TKGAngel
03-19-08, 02:00 PM
You two are thinking of the NHL test thread. :)

dando
03-19-08, 02:46 PM
You two are thinking of the NHL test thread. :)

I gotta stop multi, multi, multi tasking. :saywhat:

Now lemme get back to my brackets.... :D

-Kevin

Napoleon
03-20-08, 06:16 AM
Well I guess I will never be going to the Toronto race then.