PDA

View Full Version : Air in pipes puzzler

Andrew Longman
03-17-08, 10:10 PM
I did some searching already but somehow think I'm more likely to get an intelligent response here.

I have air spurting with water in the sink, toilet and tub in one bathroom in my house. The kitchen and other bath have no issues. The bathroom in question is in the original part of the house. All the other plumbing was new three years ago when we reconfigured and added onto the house.

The problem started last Thursday and we've never had it before. No amount of running the water, including turning everything on at once, lessens the problem.

We have city water and a booter pump and tank. No signs of leaks I can find.

No plumbing work has been done since the renovation and there has been no recent work anywhere nearby by the water company.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

nissan gtp
03-17-08, 10:34 PM
try Beano next time

:runs:

mapguy
03-18-08, 06:15 AM
Couple of questions. When did this start happening? Do they spurt on start-up and then stop or is it constant?

Andrew Longman
03-18-08, 09:54 AM
The problem started last Thursday. The problem persists. Running the water doesn't lessen the problem

Now this morning the problem is showing up in the other (new) bathroom.

mapguy
03-18-08, 11:21 AM
So what you are saying is that there has been no changes in your plumbing (ie faucets, water heater, etc...)?

WTF is a booter pump?

Trace your lines from the meter to where the pipes branch off to the rooms that are having a problem.

Andrew Longman
03-18-08, 11:39 AM
WTF is a booter pump?

Doy. :gomer:

Booster pump. Increases water pressure. Like you would use for well water. I'm at the highest point in town and it's hard to get water to me.

Warlock!
03-18-08, 11:41 AM
Sounds like air is somehow entering the system at the pump, prolly where it connects to the city water.

That's the first place I'd look anyhoo. Replace clamps/fittings if possible. If that doesn't clear it up it sounds like a city problem. Any neighbors having a similar time?

dando
03-18-08, 11:55 AM
Sounds like air is somehow entering the system at the pump, prolly where it connects to the city water.

That's the first place I'd look anyhoo. Replace clamps/fittings if possible. If that doesn't clear it up it sounds like a city problem. Any neighbors having a similar time?

That's my take, too. Gots any soggy areas in the yard?

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
03-18-08, 12:03 PM
ummmm . . . yep.

http://www.psp411.com/mods/psp411_com-mods-1196-1.jpg

Andrew Longman
03-18-08, 02:06 PM
No leaks, drips or runs anywhere to be seen. City line is new 2 years ago.

I will check with the neighbors this evening

cameraman
03-18-08, 03:56 PM
Did the city come around and flush the lines at the fire hydrants? If you are at the high end of the distribution system you might be seeing air from that.

Andrew Longman
03-18-08, 07:09 PM
Did the city come around and flush the lines at the fire hydrants? If you are at the high end of the distribution system you might be seeing air from that.

Problem solved. Just talked to my neighbor who has been having problems and even had the water company out to look at it. Of course they didn't fix it.

So not really solved, but I move from mechanical troubleshooter to bureaucratic gadfly.

Now I have this other issue of one zone of my hot water radient heat not working...