PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying a new approach on Ebay (TV version)

Sean Malone
03-14-08, 10:56 AM
Universal HD aired Days of Thunder in 1080i about a month ago. Whether you liked the movie or not, it looked and sounded (IIRC, the standard DVD was only Dolby Surround) pretty badass in HD.

The first HD content I ever saw was a night time NASCAR (at BBY). As much as I dislike NASCAR, racing at night in high def looks awesome.

Sean O'Gorman
03-14-08, 10:57 AM
Hell, any racing in HD looks cool. I've made it a point to watch NASCAR this year, even when I'm not interested in watching, just becaues its in HD. Really makes me wish I could get Directv.

Insomniac
03-14-08, 01:16 PM
The first HD content I ever saw was a night time NASCAR (at BBY). As much as I dislike NASCAR, racing at night in high def looks awesome.

Good thing F1 is in HD this year. :)

Sean Malone
03-14-08, 01:21 PM
Good thing F1 is in HD this year. :)

It is? Speed has a HD channel now?

cameraman
03-14-08, 01:37 PM

It is on DirectTV, it isn't on DishNetwork.:shakehead

Sean Malone
03-14-08, 01:52 PM

Not on my cable either. Boo.

Insomniac
03-14-08, 02:50 PM

I haven't actually seen it yet (Practice slipped my mind and you want no part of an autorecord with the DTV DVR), but from SPEED's web site, it's in HD. I'll confirm it tonight. I don't watch SPEED unless I have a reason. But just checking right now, the guide (and web site) say the NASCAR practice is IN HD, but it's pillar boxed. The colors are better at least.

WickerBill
03-14-08, 06:27 PM
you want no part of an autorecord with the DTV DVR

Wait, what?

Insomniac
03-14-08, 08:51 PM
Wait, what?

It won't limit itself to channels in your favorites list. It's probably not bad with F1, but say you want to get Red Sox stuff. If you do an autorecord on that, it will get it off every channel, whether you get it or not. TiVo had the sense to use only the channels you have in your guide.

Insomniac
03-15-08, 11:41 AM
I haven't actually seen it yet (Practice slipped my mind and you want no part of an autorecord with the DTV DVR), but from SPEED's web site, it's in HD. I'll confirm it tonight. I don't watch SPEED unless I have a reason. But just checking right now, the guide (and web site) say the NASCAR practice is IN HD, but it's pillar boxed. The colors are better at least.

It was in HD. I'd say it looked more like upconverted DVD than HD though. Interestingly, even the on-boards were in HD. I had to double check that it wasn't just stretch-o-vision like TBS HD does with sitcoms.

Sean O'Gorman
03-15-08, 12:04 PM
I had to double check that it wasn't just stretch-o-vision like TBS "HD" does with everything.

Fixed. :flame:

nrc
03-15-08, 01:30 PM
It was in HD. I'd say it looked more like upconverted DVD than HD though. Interestingly, even the on-boards were in HD. I had to double check that it wasn't just stretch-o-vision like TBS HD does with sitcoms.

Searching for what format they're using I came across a thread in the SpeedTV forum saying that although F1 will be shot in HD this year it will be broadcast in 16:9 SD. Evidently this is an F1 issue, not a SpeedTV issue.

Insomniac
03-15-08, 08:50 PM
Fixed. :flame:

I hate edited movies, but I thought at least movies were in HD. Only thing I watched on TBS HD was baseball playoffs last year.

Insomniac
03-15-08, 08:50 PM
Searching for what format they're using I came across a thread in the SpeedTV forum saying that although F1 will be shot in HD this year it will be broadcast in 16:9 SD. Evidently this is an F1 issue, not a SpeedTV issue.

Wow. That confirms/explains what I see, That is really lame and stupid.

WickerBill
03-15-08, 09:02 PM
That's "turrble". FOX runs some NFL games in SD 16:9 and it's junk.

Sean O'Gorman
03-16-08, 11:03 AM
I hate edited movies, but I thought at least movies were in HD. Only thing I watched on TBS HD was baseball playoffs last year.

There have been times when the same movie was airing on both TBS and TNT at the same time (Longest Yard is one that comes to mind), and the TBS version was stretched, while the TNT version was 16:9. I don't get it.

Insomniac
03-16-08, 12:05 PM
That's "turrble". FOX runs some NFL games in SD 16:9 and it's junk.

I realized today that the only true HD race (F1) was probably the USGP, and now that's gone. I also never noticed FOX do that. I had NFLST HD last year and never saw it. It was either in HD or SD. Was it your local FOX affiliate?

Insomniac
03-16-08, 12:06 PM
There have been times when the same movie was airing on both TBS and TNT at the same time (Longest Yard is one that comes to mind), and the TBS version was stretched, while the TNT version was 16:9. I don't get it.

Geez, that is really odd.

WickerBill
03-16-08, 02:05 PM
I realized today that the only true HD race (F1) was probably the USGP, and now that's gone. I also never noticed FOX do that. I had NFLST HD last year and never saw it. It was either in HD or SD. Was it your local FOX affiliate?

Sometimes it was my local affiliate, but I'm in an AFC city so it was always a "national" broadcast. I saw it on Superfan too -- especially on the greatest channel ever invented, Red Zone HD. When they'd switch to the FOX SD 16:9 game it always looked like poop to me.

Insomniac
03-16-08, 03:41 PM
Sometimes it was my local affiliate, but I'm in an AFC city so it was always a "national" broadcast. I saw it on Superfan too -- especially on the greatest channel ever invented, Red Zone HD. When they'd switch to the FOX SD 16:9 game it always looked like poop to me.

Heh, I never noticed. I did see them go to non-HD games and they'd put the RZC pillar boxes up. But I guess I never noticed they also had 16:9 games in SD. Real odd that they would have 4:3 SD, 16:9 SD and HD.

Edit: Come to think of it, maybe it was only CBS games getting the pillar box. And I did find it interesting that it seemed like FOX had all their games in HD.

WickerBill
03-16-08, 04:08 PM
To complete the hijacking of this thread, CBS didn't have the HD capabilities for NFL that FOX did last NFL season... FOX had 7 HD camera crews, CBS had 6. Obviously NFLST subs are hoping both are at 8 for the upcoming season.

Not that I was dying for the Niners-Cards in HD, mind, but it seemed like Cleveland got the SD shaft from CBS all year -- they obviously weren't expecting much from the Browns, and it turned out they were pretty fun to watch.

dando
03-16-08, 04:27 PM
it seemed like Cleveland got the SD shaft from CBS all year -- they obviously weren't expecting much from the Browns, and it turned out they were pretty fun to watch.

Well, the snow bowl was in HD, and IIRC, as was the week Bungles debacle. But when you play a schedule like the Brownies did last season, I would expect the HD shaft (Raiderz, Fish, Lambs, Jets, Texans, Cards, 9ers...).

Now, what was this thread about? :gomer:

-Kevin

Stu
03-17-08, 10:19 AM
Obviously NFLST subs are hoping both are at 8 for the upcoming season.

Per the broadcast contracts with ESPN, NBC, CBS, and Fox, all NFL games must be in HD in 2008 and the future.

No more SD 4:3 on CBS, no more SD 16:9 on Fox.

Insomniac
03-17-08, 02:50 PM
Per the broadcast contracts with ESPN, NBC, CBS, and Fox, all NFL games must be in HD in 2008 and the future.

No more SD 4:3 on CBS, no more SD 16:9 on Fox.

Now they need to ad more NFLST HD channels. There were a couple times this past year they couldn't show all the games in HD.

WickerBill
03-17-08, 05:05 PM
Well the good news is ST will be in MPEG4 next year, so they will have plenty of bandwidth. Supposedly they're only using about 35-40% of their new bird and they have another going up next week that's an identical twin.

I gotta do something about my D* bill though... even on the non-ST months I'm paying a fortune.

racermike
03-18-08, 03:33 PM

And probably wont be on Dish anytime soon, seeing that the russkies failed to get their rocket hauling Dish Network satellite into proper orbit for sattelite to be operational.

Its stuck a few thousand miles lower than its supposed to be

On the other hand, I guess if your lookin for a cheap satellite to broadcast your own radio station, I bet you can pick up this bad boy for bargain basement prices right now.

WickerBill
03-18-08, 03:39 PM
Yeah, that's bad news for Dish, but eventually for D* customers too... Dish prodding them on with more HD would have probably finally pushed them to add some more pay channels in HD (like HBO Comedy) as well as Travel HD, bumping Smithsonian back down to the main HD tier, etc.

Stupid rockets.

Ankf00
03-18-08, 03:48 PM
that's what they get for outsourcing their launch services needs :gomer:

cameraman
03-18-08, 04:04 PM
And probably wont be on Dish anytime soon, seeing that the russkies failed to get their rocket hauling Dish Network satellite into proper orbit for sattelite to be operational.

Charlie's spin on things. Seems they have no plans for SpeedHD.

-- DISH Network(r) Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH), the nation's third-largest pay-TV provider, today confirmed that plans to enhance its HD programming line-up this spring remain on track, despite the launch anomaly experienced by the AMC-14 satellite on March 14.

"DISH Network customers can be reassured that the expansion of our HD programming over the next few months will proceed as planned," said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, CEO and President of DISH Network. "We are fortunate to have two more satellites scheduled for launch later this year to continue our HD rollout and reach our year-end goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels."

Upcoming national HD announcements may include the addition of ABC Family HD, AMC HD, BET HD, The Biography Channel HD, Bravo HD, Cartoon Network HD, CMT HD, CNN HD, Disney Channel HD, ESPN News HD, HBO2 HD, IFC HD, MGM HD, MoreMAX HD, MTV HD, Nickelodeon HD, Sci-Fi HD, Smithsonian Channel HD, Starz Edge HD, Tennis Channel HD, Superstation WGN HD, The Weather Channel HD, Toon Disney HD, USA Network HD and VH-1 HD.

dando
03-18-08, 04:19 PM
that's what they get for outsourcing their launch services needs :gomer:

Shoulda used the Pakis instead. :p :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-18-08, 04:30 PM
don't think there's much in a bird that can be easily formed into homemade AK-47 parts

TKGAngel
03-18-08, 04:43 PM
Not on my cable either. Boo.

Mine neither. Time Warner's HD channel lineup stinks. I can have the Yankees Channel in HD, but can I have any of the channels I actually watch? No!

Racing does look sweet in HD. So does hockey.

Sean O'Gorman
03-18-08, 04:45 PM
Shoulda used the Pakis instead. :p :gomer:

-Kevin

Or MASA.

Gnam
03-18-08, 05:01 PM
Dish could recoup some of its investment by selling the satellite to the Chinese for target practice. :gomer:

dando
03-18-08, 05:18 PM
Dish could recoup some of its investment by selling the satellite to the Chinese for target practice. :gomer:

Nah, I'm sure that's next on Pooties' list to show off. :saywhat:

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-18-08, 09:56 PM
It's really crazy they wouldn't have Speed right near the top of their lists. On NASCAR race weekends, the channel is non-stop live HD programming.... and carriage can't be *that* expensive.

Insomniac
03-19-08, 08:53 AM
Well the good news is ST will be in MPEG4 next year, so they will have plenty of bandwidth. Supposedly they're only using about 35-40% of their new bird and they have another going up next week that's an identical twin.

I gotta do something about my D* bill though... even on the non-ST months I'm paying a fortune.

MPEG4 and MPEG2? Or are they going to force a migration to new boxes?

They raise rates annually as well. We badly need ala carte.

WickerBill
03-19-08, 10:48 AM
MPEG4 and MPEG2? Or are they going to force a migration to new boxes?

They raise rates annually as well. We badly need ala carte.

I'm pretty sure it's MPEG4 only this coming year.

I'd pay $100 to ONLY get Red Zone HD.

Insomniac
03-19-08, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure it's MPEG4 only this coming year.

I'd pay $100 to ONLY get Red Zone HD.

That's as likely as them offering packages just for your favorite team. I think the only option is to see the price increase for NFLST, call and complain and hopefully get the HD extras free.

On an aside, I wonder at what point I say it's too much just to watch the Patriots. The small increases annoy me, but not enough to cancel.

Edit: Just noticed the bosses un-hijacked the original thread. :thumbup: