PDA

View Full Version : Wow, What a race

Hard Driver
03-16-08, 10:32 AM
Well that was entertaining..

I think that Bourdais showed himself really well. Too bad for his engine blowing or he would have been big news finishing in front of Alonso and the second Mclaren.

I guess though that these guys need a little more time ot get used to no traction control. The sliding and mistakes made the race very interesting.

My last thought, has David Couldhart proclaimed that this is his year to win the championship. It really should be his year to retire...

eiregosod
03-16-08, 10:39 AM
My last thought, has David Couldhart proclaimed that this is his year to win the championship. It really should be his year to retire...

he did say that he would beat the **** out of massa though

Grunschev
03-16-08, 10:56 AM
I think that Bourdais showed himself really well. Too bad for his engine blowing or he would have been big news finishing in front of Alonso and the second Mclaren.

Bordais, best of the non-finishers. Other than having a nice few laps in front of Alonso at the end, all he did was keep it on the track. Granted, lots of other guys couldn't manage that. But I don't think attrition rates will remain so high and I expect Bordais to struggle to reach the top ten most of the year.

But, yes, it was an entertaining race.

Igor

Insomniac
03-16-08, 12:01 PM
The safety car made it interesting. You were either on the lead lap or out of the race.

Did Heikki think that was the last lap?

Accipiter
03-16-08, 01:32 PM
He accidentally hit the pit speed limiter removing a visor tear-off.

Ozarkian
03-16-08, 01:35 PM
Also thought at first that he was confused on lap count, but on replay it showed him slowing before the start/finish line.

He rejoined in fifth place and passed his predecessor Fernando Alonso for fourth on the penultimate lap – but the Spaniard soon retook the position down the main straight after Kovalainen accidentally hit his car’s pit lane speed limiter.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=42002

Edit: slow posting - see above

Insomniac
03-16-08, 01:54 PM
He accidentally hit the pit speed limiter removing a visor tear-off.

D'oh!

extramundane
03-16-08, 02:09 PM

Yeah, I was surprised to see him running faster than Fred & Kov towards the end. I still think Vettel will outrun him most of the time, but he certainly made a great showing.

Far better than certain other series champions who've moved to other series. :rofl:

Rogue Leader
03-16-08, 02:55 PM
Need to buy stock in carbon fiber suppliers if the year continues this way!

Gnam
03-16-08, 02:57 PM
I thought I was watching a Champ Car race for a second. ;) Unpredictable and fun to watch. No more auto-pilot. :thumbup:

cart7
03-16-08, 03:35 PM
Rockem sockem action for sure. Makes Bristol seem mundane. :laugh:

OW
03-16-08, 04:06 PM
Seabass did great.....

Andrew Longman
03-16-08, 04:08 PM
Far better than certain other series champions who've moved to other series. :rofl:

Point of the day :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
03-16-08, 04:10 PM
I thought I was watching a Champ Car race for a second. ;) Unpredictable and fun to watch. No more auto-pilot. :thumbup:

I'm sure you weren't referring to the fact that 8-9 cars finished :gomer:

Yes, good w/o TC. Very much leveled the field.

Andrew Longman
03-16-08, 04:11 PM
Reubens DQd http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/3/7495.html

oddlycalm
03-16-08, 04:23 PM
Very entertaining from the start, and a chance to see where the teams stand. I'd have to say that eliminating the driver aids has really recast F1. Overtaking still isn't easy, but it happens more often because eventually the driver in front makes a mistake the driver aids are there to compensate for.

Kimi's charge up through the field was good stuff, including when he completely ignored Couthard as he blasted by. :D It came to naught, but it was fun to watch.

One thing for certain; the Renault looks like a right pig so Alonso will be driving the wheels off it (probably literally) all season. If not for the safety car he would have been lapped. Several mid-pack teams have improved quite a lot and and Renault will have trouble coming to terms with them from what we've seen so far.

BMW is obviously able to contest for the podium this season. That should make things more interesting at the front.

Vettel showed speed in quals and Bourdais showed experience in the race. Alonso should be worried....

oc

Insomniac
03-16-08, 05:23 PM
Reubens DQd http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/3/7495.html

Not surprising. Only way to avoid that is if the red light wasn't supposed to be there.

Insomniac
03-16-08, 05:28 PM
Kimi's charge up through the field was good stuff, including when he completely ignored Couthard as he blasted by. :D It came to naught, but it was fun to watch.

That was the guy they covered the most it seemed today. He made it exciting for sure. When he blew past Heikki it was pretty cool, then I don't know what happened. Did he just decide not to bother braking when he knew he wasn't going to make the corner? Were his tires so shot that he couldn't even make contact with the pavement?

And why in the world did they not pit him? Did he have a couple laps to get past Heikkei to try and avoid letting Hamilton get too far away? Maybe they need Ross Brawn to run strategy. ;)

emjaya
03-16-08, 07:31 PM
On the ITV broadcast, Jeremy Shaw said "Bourdais has been racing Indycars in America". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

WickerBill
03-16-08, 07:44 PM
Varsha was quite the Bourdais cheerleader. Said "champcar" a good 15 times. When racing with Alonso, called it "two champions racing each other"... heh

RHR_Fan
03-16-08, 10:49 PM
Varsha was quite the Bourdais cheerleader. Said "champcar" a good 15 times. When racing with Alonso, called it "two champions racing each other"... heh

Noticed that too. He (Bourdais) got out at the right time.

~Nicole

robot9000
03-17-08, 10:27 AM
I think SeaBass done did alright !! Did attrition help? Fo Sho !!! But he pulled away from the World Champ that had an arguably better car. Is he gonna be on the podium this year? Um...no. TorroXXX needs to get their poop together with a bit more nimble car. And even then their 'Ferrari' pusher won't be the same as the Ferrari's 'Ferrari' pusher.:p

On a side note. What are they making these cars out of these days?!?! Coul'Tard gets puned into the grass and looks like he missed turn 1 at MIS !! Same with the dude that hit the Grassy Knoll. I mean, sure, CC and Indy cars are built to take some hits and an F1 car isn't but Geeze louise, I've seen Parade Floats built stronger than that !!

Not sure you should write off eveything but the tub 'cause you got hip checked in the ESS's :confused:

WickerBill
03-17-08, 01:32 PM
What was weird was Kimi's car after the Coul-tard accident was unscathed... and after he took a ride in the litter... it seemed like a tank compared to some of the others.

cameraman
03-17-08, 01:33 PM
What was weird was Kimi's car after the Coul-tard accident was unscathed... and after he took a ride in the litter... it seemed like a tank compared to some of the others.

Wasn't it Massa & Coultard colliding?

Gnam
03-17-08, 01:56 PM
No. Massa collided with DC, who did nothing wrong. DC said so... :laugh:

post race driver quotes: motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/news/series.asp?S=F1)

Insomniac
03-17-08, 02:47 PM
I think SeaBass done did alright !! Did attrition help? Fo Sho !!! But he pulled away from the World Champ that had an arguably better car. Is he gonna be on the podium this year? Um...no. TorroXXX needs to get their poop together with a bit more nimble car. And even then their 'Ferrari' pusher won't be the same as the Ferrari's 'Ferrari' pusher.:p

On a side note. What are they making these cars out of these days?!?! Coul'Tard gets puned into the grass and looks like he missed turn 1 at MIS !! Same with the dude that hit the Grassy Knoll. I mean, sure, CC and Indy cars are built to take some hits and an F1 car isn't but Geeze louise, I've seen Parade Floats built stronger than that !!

Not sure you should write off eveything but the tub 'cause you got hip checked in the ESS's :confused:

I doubt Alonso's car was better. He was passed by Heikki there. Something was up. Plus, faster cars can't just get by slower cars. Kimi drove around behind Rubens for 10+ laps.

The cars are designed to take forces in one direction. They aren't designed to come off the ground. The car falls to pieces to absorb as much energy as possible. Glock's car bottomed out at a really bad spot.