PDA

View Full Version : Sebring

cameraman
03-15-08, 11:11 AM
One Penske Porsche is not a happy camper.

It is hard, I like Porsche, I hate Penske...

Andrew Longman
03-15-08, 11:15 AM
Is anyone else having problems with the telecast?

Both my sets are what we call "chirping". Sound and picture cutting in an out. We have DirectTV and its what they do in bad weather or when they just need a reboot in the ass, but that's not the case this time.

The thing is it is fine during commercials and on other channels

Spicoli
03-15-08, 11:25 AM
Its annoying as hell.

Note that the commercials come thru just find, but the audio broadcast is completely FUBARed.

Andrew Longman
03-15-08, 11:27 AM
Good (not for you/us) but at least I'll quit trying to fix it.

Accipiter
03-15-08, 11:29 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering.

Sean O'Gorman
03-15-08, 11:34 AM
I reset my U-verse box twice thinking that it was the problem, and then realized it wasn't when I heard the commercials were coming through fine. :mad:

extramundane
03-15-08, 11:47 AM
I reset my U-verse box twice thinking that it was the problem, and then realized it wasn't when I heard the commercials were coming through fine. :mad:

Dear Mr. O'Gorman,

The ALMS respectfully declines your viewership. Shouldn't you be out kone-krunching anyway?

Sincerely,
Scott Atherton

mapguy
03-15-08, 11:56 AM
Dear Mr. O'Gorman,

The ALMS respectfully declines your viewership. Shouldn't you be out kone-krunching anyway?

Sincerely,
Scott Atherton

:D

cameraman
03-15-08, 11:57 AM
Hopefully they will fix it during the 2 hour cabbing break:irked:

Tim
03-15-08, 01:07 PM
Never had a problem here. I'm stuck with digital cable though.

Andrew Longman
03-15-08, 01:48 PM
Never had a problem here. I'm stuck with digital cable though.

So its a DirectV problem. Not a feed problem. Grrrr:irked:

Accipiter
03-15-08, 02:08 PM
I'm on digital cable too. Problem seems to be fixed now.

Pug broke a hydraulic line and went down three laps. That's why they should have brought 2 cars, and they should have raced them at Sebring last year as well.

extramundane
03-15-08, 06:12 PM
Unless all hell breaks loose, it's gonna be a P2 sweep across the board.

I hope the ACO and the whiners at Audi Sport choke on that. :rofl:

And a big thumbs up to the dudes in the broke-ass Viper. :thumbup:

Spicoli
03-15-08, 06:58 PM
So its a DirectV problem. Not a feed problem. Grrrr:irked:

Nope, bad on Dish TV too.:thumdown: :shakehead

Insomniac
03-15-08, 08:47 PM
I watched some off and on today. Just doesn't seem very entertaining. Four classes of cars. The prototypes weren't appealing to me at all. The GT cars were of more interest to me, but from the combined hour I'd say I watched throughout the day, there seemed like there was no actual action on track besides cars just doing laps. Is this typical? Am I missing something?

extramundane
03-15-08, 08:56 PM
I watched some off and on today. Just doesn't seem very entertaining. Four classes of cars. The prototypes weren't appealing to me at all. The GT cars were of more interest to me, but from the combined hour I'd say I watched throughout the day, there seemed like there was no actual action on track besides cars just doing laps. Is this typical? Am I missing something?

Well, effectively there's 2 classes- 1 prototype class and GT2 (GT1's a ghost town, the sooner it dies, the better). You must have chosen a bad hour, though, because there's been some good action today. The finish could be a close one too, though they'll be hard pressed to top last year.

'Course it doesn't help that the coverage is frequently pretty awful.

Wally
03-15-08, 10:08 PM
FRP......:shakehead

pchall
03-16-08, 07:24 AM
FRP......:shakehead

How about FAF for driving the last stint and not being able to get closer than 15 sec?

And DQ'd in post race tech.

“A problem in post-race technical inspection has disqualified the Lowe’s Fernandez Racing team from its second-place overall result in today’s race. By the rules, each class of engine has an air restrictor mandated by ALMS and only air that passes through this restrictor may be utilized by the engine. The rules require that if a plug were to be inserted into this restrictor, the engine would shut off if running or not start at all.”

http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/03/16/lowe%e2%80%99s-fernandez-racing-excluded-from-sebring-12h/

Spicoli
03-16-08, 10:04 AM
^^^ hahahahaha^^^^

FAF.

Insomniac
03-16-08, 12:03 PM
Well, effectively there's 2 classes- 1 prototype class and GT2 (GT1's a ghost town, the sooner it dies, the better). You must have chosen a bad hour, though, because there's been some good action today. The finish could be a close one too, though they'll be hard pressed to top last year.

'Course it doesn't help that the coverage is frequently pretty awful.

Are they all endurance races?

extramundane
03-16-08, 01:49 PM
Are they all endurance races?

Nah. Sebring is 12 hours, Petit Le Mans is 10 hours or 1000 miles, Laguna Seca and Road America are 4 hours, everything else is 2:45 or less.

Insomniac
03-16-08, 01:55 PM
Nah. Sebring is 12 hours, Petit Le Mans is 10 hours or 1000 miles, Laguna Seca and Road America are 4 hours, everything else is 2:45 or less.

I'll try and catch one of the shorter ones beginning to end. I'd like to give it a fair chance, but I can't watch TV for that many consecutive hours. :)

extramundane
03-16-08, 02:13 PM
I'll try and catch one of the shorter ones beginning to end. I'd like to give it a fair chance, but I can't watch TV for that many consecutive hours. :)

I don't know who could. It was on in the background while I did other things, but I only really watched the first couple hours and the last couple hours.

DVR is your friend. :thumbup:

Gnam
03-16-08, 03:24 PM
It is hard, I like Porsche, I hate Penske...
Vote Dyson.

Can ALMS make the GT2 cars competitive with the GT1's without getting in trouble with that race in France? I like Johnny O'connell and the Corvette team, but racing against your own team for two years isn't cool.

Insomniac
03-16-08, 03:39 PM
DVR is your friend. :thumbup:

That's still a lot of racing!

extramundane
03-16-08, 04:24 PM
Can ALMS make the GT2 cars competitive with the GT1's without getting in trouble with that race in France? I like Johnny O'connell and the Corvette team, but racing against your own team for two years isn't cool.

No.

At one point, an overhaul was in the works to effectively soup up GT2 and make it the new GT1, then make GT3 into GT2, but I think it might have been killed off for making too much sense.

Sean O'Gorman
03-16-08, 05:09 PM
So if car count is low, the logical solution is to make the GT2 cars more expensive? That doesn't make sense.

Any make of car that can be run in GT1 can be run in GT2 also, just ditch the GT1 class already.

FCYTravis
03-16-08, 06:09 PM
Oh yeah, and what's happened to SPEED World Challenge? There were just 17 cars starting the Touring Car race.. I remember when they'd grid like 35, just a few years ago. Did the whole "SCCA Pro is an oxymoron" jinx strike again?

extramundane
03-16-08, 07:30 PM
So if car count is low, the logical solution is to make the GT2 cars more expensive? That doesn't make sense.

That's not what I said (Reading Is Fundamental). The meat of the proposal was to remove restrictors on the GT2 cars, which wouldn't fundamentally make them more expensive.

Sean O'Gorman
03-16-08, 07:43 PM
So throwing Flying Lizard and Peterson etc. in the same class as Corvette Racing wont drive up to price to be competitive?

cameraman
03-17-08, 12:10 AM
So throwing Flying Lizard and Peterson etc. in the same class as Corvette Racing wont drive up to price to be competitive? You really think that a Corvette program really costs that much more than a Porsche or Ferrari program?

Gnam
03-17-08, 01:11 AM
They could meet in the middle: hamstring the Corvettes while juicing the VW beetles & Fiats. Or make the Corvettes employ a third "mystery driver." Could be PT, could be Milka, could be a random race fan... "Hey man I can't drive stick." Uh-oh ;)

FCYTravis
03-17-08, 02:56 AM
Just drop both P1 and GT1. There's no need for four classes. Rename the 2s to LMP and GT.

But that makes too much sense, so it will never happen.

Sean O'Gorman
03-17-08, 09:40 AM
Travis, thats just not pure sports car racing. :shakehead

extramundane
03-17-08, 09:47 AM
So throwing Flying Lizard and Peterson etc. in the same class as Corvette Racing wont drive up to price to be competitive?

As Mr. Cameraman says, I seriously doubt Corvette Racing is spending much more than Risi or Flying Lizard. And should a regulations chance occur, I doubt you'd see Corvette stick around. It's already the worst-kept secret in the sport that they've got a prototype in the design stages.

Just drop both P1 and GT1. There's no need for four classes. Rename the 2s to LMP and GT.

But that makes too much sense, so it will never happen.

I think they should keep P1 and P2 rules (modified slightly) as 2 approaches to one class. And I like the idea of bumping up GT3 cars- the fastest of the bunch are already around GT2 mid-pack speeds; a little aero help and extra HP and you've suddenly got a 25-30 car GT field.

But it'll never happen. :shakehead

Gnam
03-17-08, 01:49 PM
Hey, when did ALMS start using digital pit boards? How long before they start showing ads? ;)

FCYTravis
03-18-08, 09:28 PM
What Corvette Racing is spending right now, facing zero competition, and what they could potentially spend if they actually had to beat someone, are two different numbers entirely.