PDA

View Full Version : IPS Indy Race

Classic Apex
05-17-03, 04:42 PM
Question.

If a race occurs, but no racing actually happens...did the race really take place?

I saw lots and lots of yellow flags. Saw a red one too. Perhaps they need to adopt a special orange flag for the Speedway.

:rolleyes:

WickerBill
05-17-03, 05:07 PM
Worse than Australia last year. And that's saying a lot.

cart7
05-17-03, 05:10 PM
2 green flag starts in 10 laps and they still haven't completed a single lap under race speeds. :shakehead Yep! That was worth 5 bucks. :rolleyes:

Hink
05-17-03, 05:30 PM
I missed it, but it sounds like these guys are the future of Indy.

RTKar
05-17-03, 06:29 PM
I fell asleep....really, I did..... What happened?

Chief
05-17-03, 06:38 PM
Two rather serious wrecks, first lap turn 3 two car wreck notable for the rear end of of one of the cars coming off with wing/transmission attach running free down the track.

On the restart Craig Dollansky lost it in the south chute, hit the grass and head on into the SAFER barrier. Two more laps of caution and and it hailed from the skys. Dollansky has a lower back fracture.

I count 0 green laps, 3 wrecked cars, one broken back. IRL Jr.

RTKar
05-17-03, 06:51 PM
Thanks Chief, saw the first one then I fell asleep during the yellow. The one thing I did notice was the VERY sparse crowd. Just hope no one is hurt too bad.

Railbird
05-17-03, 09:53 PM
I was sitting in turn four, they never got around to me.

Spicoli
05-17-03, 09:58 PM
That was sadly funny. Like laughing at a bloopers show.

Crowd - embarrassing. Racing - embarrassing. Drivers - embarrassing.

Well, there goes marketing idea 238 for the Georgetown Road Mensa society. :rolleyes:

Next up? Hydroplanes? ATV's? Smowmobiles? Or can we find a bunch of Rice Rocket Kamikazees?

Why couldn't he just have left the place alone?:flame:

SteveH
05-17-03, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
I was sitting in turn four, they never got around to me.

ha ha ha

the future of open wheel racing

:D

Cam
05-18-03, 12:16 AM
You had to be there!:shakehead

Originally posted by Brian Ericson
Question.

If a race occurs, but no racing actually happens...did the race really take place?

I saw lots and lots of yellow flags. Saw a red one too. Perhaps they need to adopt a special orange flag for the Speedway.

:rolleyes: :shakehead

Racewriter
05-18-03, 03:02 PM
I want to know where the forum safety police are - you know, the ones that always come out of the woodwork when anyting happens in NASCAR.

A restart with rain on drivers' visors (they were complaining on the radio), a slow frontal impact into the wall, and YET ANOTHER goddamned broken back!:mad:

Screwed up a good season for Dollansky.

pchall
05-18-03, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
I want to know where the forum safety police are - you know, the ones that always come out of the woodwork when anyting happens in NASCAR.

A restart with rain on drivers' visors (they were complaining on the radio), a slow frontal impact into the wall, and YET ANOTHER goddamned broken back!:mad:

Screwed up a good season for Dollansky.

I think most of our concerns about IRL 'safety' are clearly understood by now. If Dollansky had read the forums and followed the injury situation in IRL and IPS, perhaps he might have thought twice about running yesterday.

Or even done a most heretical thing -- gone to Skippy School and learned to run a winged formula car on pavement. Of course, he might have decided that since Skippy School and Barber Dodge haven't done Sarah Fisher any good at all such training was worthless to a dirt track driver and so he could save whatever money he had and apply it straight to the medical bills.

:shakehead

cart7
05-18-03, 03:22 PM
I'm watching the remaining race now. I am SO on the edge of my seat! :o If Jerry Punch doesn't get your blood pumped, I don't know what would. Plenty of side-by-side action by the stars of tomorrow's (providing their checks are big enough) IRL! Weeeeee :gomer:

Badger
05-18-03, 08:09 PM
Holy crap, that gear change to Carpenters car must have really been something. Did you notice how he pulled out and waltzed right by the Penzoil car, its like he had more horsepower? I would love to see the straighaway speeds Carpenter was hitting versus all the competitors. If I was the suspicious type (which I am), I would suggest that Ed (stepson of tony) running for Mr 500 (AJ) might have had a particularily good engine.

cart7
05-18-03, 09:04 PM
originally posted by Badger
If I was the suspicious type (which I am), I would suggest that Ed (stepson of tony) running for Mr 500 (AJ) might have had a particularily good engine.

It was so easy, I'm surprised they didn't lay down a bed of Rose petals to take the checkers on. :laugh:

Railbird
05-18-03, 10:17 PM
A few more comments:

Number one, what bonehead convinced Dollensky that a 180mph trip around Indy in a formula car was just the way to acquire his first pavement experience? That ol' boy was further out of his element than Greg Ray in a biker bar.

Carpenter.

If I was a participant in that race I want to see the fuel checked in the 14 car. When the second through fifth pack ran single file, which they did a few times, Ed was a solid four to five mph a lap faster. We had the watch on them the whole time. Do you think the smaller ring gear in that killer ratio left enough room in the transaxle to hold the nitrous bottle?

Second through fifth actually put on a pretty good show.

When did AARP members join the ranks of rising stars?

Tom Wood is the next Ayrton Senna.

or maybe not