PDA

View Full Version : Gerry's "dance of principle" continues

Racing Truth
03-11-08, 07:25 PM
INDYCAR: Conquest Racing Announces Technical Partnership with Forsythe
Digg del.icio.us

Written by: RACER Staff http://www.racer.com 03/11/2008 - 03:42 PM
Indianapolis, Ind.
Poised to be rivals as recently as last month, the Forsythe and Conquest squads will now work together behind the scenes. (LAT photo) » More Photos
The continuing saga of Forsythe Racing took another unexpected turn Tuesday with the announcement that the team, which announced last month it would not make the transition from Champ Car to the unified IndyCar Series, entered into a “technical partnership” with another former Champ Car operation which is making that transition. Eric Bachelart’s Conquest Racing announced the association with with Forsythe Performance Research, a wholly owned subsidiary of Forsythe Racing Inc., which Conquest says will provide its team with technical and engineering resources for the 2008 season.

“We are working very hard on our transition from Champ Car to the IndyCar Series and we are excited about this partnership with Forsythe Performance Research,” said Bachelart. “Their knowledge and experience will accelerate our efforts of becoming a front-running team in the IndyCar Series.”

Conquest has already confirmed French rookie Franck Perera – who topped the charts at the final Champ Car open test in Sebring in only his second time in the team’s DP01-Cosworth – in one of its two Dallara-Honda entries, and says a second driver will be announced shortly.

“Forsythe Performance Research is very pleased to be able to enter into a mutually beneficial technical support arrangement with Conquest Racing in 2008,” said Neil Micklewright of Forsythe Performance Research. “With the extensive racing background of Forsythe Racing and the fine team that Conquest has created, we feel assured that 2008 will be an exciting and challenging year for all concerned. We look forward to helping Conquest Racing unleash all of its potential.”

The team will make its on-track debut with the Dallaras on the road course in Sebring, Florida next week at the first of two pre-season tests for the transitioning Champ Car teams which take place March 19 and 20. The IndyCar Series season begins March 29 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

Should I stay or should I go now? (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-conquest-racing-announces-technical-partnership-with-forsythe)

Actually, I've been a bit too harsh on the man. This is just meant to rebut the "Look, GF's not running out of principle" crowd.

That said, he really is having trouble making his mind up, no? But, good luck to all involved.:thumbup:

Andrew Longman
03-11-08, 07:36 PM
I'm not so sure this is a matter of principle. It looks as if he found a customer for part of his organization. Helps keep people employed and around to next year.

This is not inconsistent will my assumption that he saw this year a clusterflup and better to sit out until things get sorted out.

Merger mania or no, IMO this thing still hasn't bottomed out. Given how this was done I see many teams not answering the bell, LGGP a mess, not a lot more cars on the IRL grid, more lawsuits, and a lot of other bad before TG gets a grip on what the series really needs to be.

I could easily see the story of 08 being that the merger in itself did not bring fans, sponsors, teams or event and TG graciously turning over leadership and day to day decision maker to someone more competent (or RP choosing).

Racing Truth
03-11-08, 07:44 PM
My point was simply to rebut the mostly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, crowd who thinks Gerry made a courageous stand on principle.

Yeah, '08 will be rough. We'll have a better sense of the impact of this in Jan. (or so) of '09. If its still getting worse then, lights out.

cameraman
03-11-08, 07:56 PM
So is Paul Tracy unemployed or what?

It seems Franck Montagny will drive at Long Beach, at least he sort of thinks that he still might be....

Racing Truth
03-11-08, 08:04 PM

It seems Franck Montagny will drive at Long Beach, at least he sort of thinks that he still might be....

WTF knows? Sucks to be Montagny too.

extramundane
03-11-08, 08:12 PM
So does this mean Gerry & Paul aren't forming their own series? :gomer:

Rogue Leader
03-11-08, 08:19 PM
I would bet Bachelart called up Forsythe knowing he has a very talented crew that parked and maybe out of a job for a year or more and made some sort of offer... and Gerry took it, better some money than no money.

dando
03-11-08, 08:25 PM
I'm not so sure this is a matter of principle. It looks as if he found a customer for part of his organization. Helps keep people employed and around to next year.

This is not inconsistent will my assumption that he saw this year a clusterflup and better to sit out until things get sorted out.

Merger mania or no, IMO this thing still hasn't bottomed out. Given how this was done I see many teams not answering the bell, LGGP a mess, not a lot more cars on the IRL grid, more lawsuits, and a lot of other bad before TG gets a grip on what the series really needs to be.

I could easily see the story of 08 being that the merger in itself did not bring fans, sponsors, teams or event and TG graciously turning over leadership and day to day decision maker to someone more competent (or RP choosing).

Yeah, I kinda agree with that take as well. I would not be surprised if PT ended up as part of the deal as well.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-11-08, 08:42 PM
I would not be surprised if PT ended up as part of the deal as well.

-Kevin

Hadn't thought of that but yes it could make sense.

Bachelart actually has sponsorship so there is someone to pay the bills.

Sean O'Gorman
03-11-08, 09:07 PM
Well, if I'm Conquest, I can't think of a better team to enter a technical partnership with than one that has never run an Indy car before. :saywhat:

Chief
03-11-08, 10:15 PM
Well, if I'm Conquest, I can't think of a better team to enter a technical partnership with than one that has never run an Indy car before. :saywhat:
:rofl:

KLang
03-12-08, 06:44 AM
My point was simply to rebut the mostly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, crowd who thinks Gerry made a courageous stand on principle.

Do any of those people post here?

I think Gerry is simply tired of throwing away his money on the remnants of this once great sport.

cart7
03-12-08, 06:49 AM

Actually, Conquest is teamed with Vision racing as part of the transition phase

so......

make that one team that's never run an Indy car before and another who doesn't know how to make an Indy car run. :laugh:

Don Quixote
03-12-08, 08:49 AM
I can see throwing your own money down a rat hole when you are the one in charge. It's a little harder to imagine when :tony: is now calling the shots.

Dr. Corkski
03-12-08, 10:03 AM

I think Gerry is simply tired of throwing away his money on the remnants of this once great sport.http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=223956&postcount=16

robot9000
03-12-08, 10:08 AM
Gerry/Jerry does whatever the voices at that exact moment in time tell him to do. Meaning, no relativly normal, sane, logical human can predict what Gerry/Jerry will do at any given moment.

I forget who said it, but I belive Bat **** Crazy sums it up nicely.

CQ
03-12-08, 10:59 AM

I think Gerry is simply tired of throwing away his money on the remnants of this once great sport.

Almost. I think this is as simple as he's willing to spend his own money to race in the series he owns, but not in a leegue he doesn't own. Especially if it's the irl, given their track record (pun intended) and visionary management.

If tg wants Unka Jerr all he has to do is write The Check.

Andrew Longman
03-12-08, 11:28 AM
If tg wants Unka Jerr all he has to do is write The Check.

Right. And as crazy as some make GF to be, that seems to be a very rational choice.

I see GF sitting out the year, keeping it together until either a) the TG led IRL is in such a mess that he is forced to listen to reason, b) desperately writes checks, or c) GF starts and ALMS program.

patski
03-12-08, 11:33 AM
So does this mean Gerry & Paul aren't forming their own series? :gomer:

Interesting question!

Sky
03-12-08, 01:15 PM
Gerry/Jerry does whatever the voices at that exact moment in time tell him to do. Meaning, no relativly normal, sane, logical human can predict what Gerry/Jerry will do at any given moment.

I forget who said it, but I belive Bat **** Crazy sums it up nicely.

That would explain why he's a billionaire and you're .... what, exactly?
:rolleyes:

Gerry ran his team out of his own pocket for years, because he loved what CC stood for. Why the #$%@ should he pay to run a car he despises in a series he dislikes, in front of acres of empty seats, for a man for whom he (and many others) feels only justifiable contempt?

To please some anonymous nobody on an obscure intenet forum? Good luck selling that one ...

extramundane
03-12-08, 01:27 PM
That would explain why he's a billionaire and you're .... what, exactly?
:rolleyes:

Gerry ran his team out of his own pocket for years, because he loved what CC stood for. Why the #$%@ should he pay to run a car he despises in a series he dislikes, in front of acres of empty seats, for a man for whom he (and many others) feels only justifiable contempt?

To please some anonymous nobody on an obscure intenet forum? Good luck selling that one ...

There are a couple of folks around here who've worked for Gerry and have basically confirmed that he's a crazyass who's known for having hissyfits and taking his ball home when he doesn't get his way.

Sounds a lot like someone else, doesn't it? Perhaps it runs in the family...

Don Quixote
03-12-08, 01:44 PM
But Sky makes some good points. Why would you race in that series exactly?

cameraman
03-12-08, 01:47 PM
That is true of everybody. Why run in the IRL? I don't know. Ask Keith Wiggins.

Only thing that makes sense to me is keeping the peeps employed until he can find some place else to race.

Sean O'Gorman
03-12-08, 02:16 PM

Because in all reality, there is very little difference between the two series', and racing is more fun than, well, not racing?

Racing Truth
03-12-08, 02:19 PM
Because in all reality, there is very little difference between the two series', and racing is more fun than, well, not racing?

Well, if you're gonna dwell on the little things...;)

Don Quixote
03-12-08, 02:49 PM
Because in all reality, there is very little difference between the two series', and racing is more fun than, well, not racing? My question was why race in that series. Are you saying that there is no other racing to be had. What about Grand AM? :)

Insomniac
03-12-08, 03:56 PM

Because he doesn't have an F1 budget and hasn't found a sponsor since 1993. Anything else is a step down in technology.

Sean O'Gorman
03-12-08, 04:25 PM
My question was why race in that series. Are you saying that there is no other racing to be had. What about Grand AM? :)

If he wants to race in open wheel. I suppose he could go to ALMS, Grand-Am, or NASCAR, and lose in all three of those series as well.

Chiphead_Dave
03-12-08, 05:00 PM

Nope don't buy it ..... very different and you can't polish a turd.

OW
03-12-08, 08:31 PM
Did I just hear on "speedtv RIP" (a short 30 second spot) that GF announced he'll be back in 2009 or was the TV too much off to my side?

Insomniac
03-12-08, 09:50 PM
Nope don't buy it ..... very different and you can't polish a turd.

Sure, they're very different to us. How about the new fan who tunes in and sees an open wheel race car?

patski
03-13-08, 10:16 AM
Sure, they're very different to us. How about the new fan who tunes in and sees an open wheel race car?

What New Fans? If you expect that having one OW series is gg to bring in new fans by itself I have a bridge in Nevada I would like to sell you.

Insomniac
03-13-08, 11:29 AM
What New Fans? If you expect that having one OW series is gg to bring in new fans by itself I have a bridge in Nevada I would like to sell you.

I don't expect anything. My only point was to a casual observer there is no difference between CC and the IRL. You don't pick up everything watching a few races.

Ohh, and how much for the Nevada half of the Hoover Dam? :p

CQ
03-13-08, 02:01 PM

So this and all the other sites like it exist because? :confused:

Racing Truth
03-13-08, 02:24 PM
So this and all the other sites like it exist because? :confused:

B/c this split created a whole lot of passions, emotions, etc. It also created too many "sanctioning body" fans for whom racing considerations were/are a secondary factor.

OC is different, IMHO, b/c most of us call it as we see it and have a passion, first and foremost, for the product. But plenty of other interweb fans are just "management groupies," who for their own reason, picked a side and have, in their own,,,,minds,,, fought the good fight.

That said, there are differences, but its been said before, by the likes of Severson, that those actually IN BOTH SERIES crossed over and interacted all the time. Differences? Some substantial? You bet. But, at the end of the day (D@mn you, Stephen A. Smith!:flame: ), it's rear-engine formula car, open-wheel racing all the same.

TravelGal
03-13-08, 04:00 PM

Yes, but we engage our brains when we do. Oh, you mean the ,,,,,, people. Can't speak for them.

http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=223956&postcount=16

There WAS a smiley.

Munk
03-13-08, 05:52 PM

It seems Franck Montagny will drive at Long Beach, at least he sort of thinks that he still might be....The story that I have heard was that Gerry told him he would honor his contract and that he could drive any where he wanted EXCEPT in the IRL.

You mean folks for CCF or the ,,,,,,,, posse?

As for the first yes... and the second not a clue.

Yes, but we engage our brains when we do. Oh, you mean the ,,,,,, people. Can't speak for them.

There WAS a smiley.

ROFL... :D

Rogue Leader
03-13-08, 06:24 PM
The story that I have heard was that Gerry told him he would honor his contract and that he could drive any where he wanted EXCEPT in the IRL.

If he really wanted to be in the IRL and make some money this year a smart man would lease Tracy out to an IRL team for the year ....

Indy
03-13-08, 08:42 PM
The story that I have heard was that Gerry told him he would honor his contract and that he could drive any where he wanted EXCEPT in the IRL.

Nice. I suppose Jerry is paying him in full? How about the bonus provisions?

Thanks a bunch from the fans, Jer. You correctly surmised that what we want is to see PT sit out the rest of his career or run some worthless NASCAR series in order to satisfy whatever tantrum you are having today.

TKGAngel
03-14-08, 06:12 AM
I haven't seen this posted here yet, but PT speaks with David Phillips.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/phillips-all-dressed-up/

"I woke up the other morning and realized this could be how my career ends. I feel like the guy who bought a tuxedo, rented a limo and got his shoes polished for the prom . . . and then realized he doesn’t have a date."
----
Now the teams that do have or could make room for Tracy are asking him to bring along money, most likely from Monster, the energy drink company that signed him to a personal services deal last year.

“The teams that are looking for money, I wouldn’t approach Monster about because it would be a waste of their money,”

Gnam
03-14-08, 12:07 PM
Maybe Forsythe is just looking out for PT's well being and protecting him from himself. [/pollyanna]

'Sides once the season gets going and the inevitable season ending injuries start piling up, there will be room for PT. :shakehead

as suggested on another board... Forsythe = Hater of the Year. :D

TU Homer
03-14-08, 12:28 PM
I don't expect anything. My only point was to a casual observer there is no difference between CC and the IRL. You don't pick up everything watching a few races.

Ohh, and how much for the Nevada half of the Hoover Dam? :p

You guys are missing the point. It's Gerry Forsythe. He doesn't do it for the fans. He would be bankrolling the team, unless he can find sponsors. Even if he did, he would have to bankroll the team for a period of time. But the difference is with Jerry (spelling #2). Gerald (#3) would be in a series with TG. That's the difference.

-TU

G.
03-14-08, 12:32 PM
I haven't seen this posted here yet, but PT speaks with David Phillips.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/phillips-all-dressed-up/Web designer of the new speed site needs killin'.

Each click is a countdown to my innernets getting broke.

Andrew Longman
03-14-08, 12:34 PM
"I wouldn’t approach Monster about because it would be a waste of their money,”

So he wants a team to pay him, but he admits that even a merged series with him in it doesn't return sufficient value to the sponsors?

Yes, given his years in the sport, name recognition, and accomplishments he deserves to go out on his terms, but to quote Clint Eastwood, "deserve" has nothing to do with it.

And FWIW, Petty went out on his own because of his relationship with STP. Dale Jarrett's relationship with UPS extended his career several year's. Same could be said for Michael Waltrip and NAPA. I could go on. PT should be marketing and promoting himself better and using his relationship with Monster to bring more value to them. That will help him get a ride and help him help the series.

cameraman
03-14-08, 12:50 PM
So he wants a team to pay him, but he admits that even a merged series with him in it doesn't return sufficient value to the sponsors? I took his statement to mean that any team that needed money from Monster in order to run would not be a good enough team to return sufficient value to Monster.

Ruben Barrios
03-14-08, 01:08 PM
As opposed to the value generated by the series before :confused:

The bottom line is that, as much as I dislike TG... the situation has put the teams in a do or die status... Now the budgetless teams are out, so in a sense only the strong prevail... I like strong, I have hopes for a future, although, the future is going to be very different from the past.

Insomniac
03-14-08, 01:12 PM
I took his statement to mean that any team that needed money from Monster in order to run would not be a good enough team to return sufficient value to Monster.

That's how I read it as well.

Andrew Longman
03-14-08, 01:21 PM
I took his statement to mean that any team that needed money from Monster in order to run would not be a good enough team to return sufficient value to Monster.

Maybe so. But does that include Forsythe with all the team talent they loaded up on? They would be no worse off than any other CC team. He could have brought Monster money to GF.

He needs to show how he can create all sorts of new value for Monster by being the face of Monster and that he needs to be in a car with their name on the side to do it.

Insomniac
03-14-08, 02:42 PM
Maybe so. But does that include Forsythe with all the team talent they loaded up on? They would be no worse off than any other CC team. He could have brought Monster money to GF.

He needs to show how he can create all sorts of new value for Monster by being the face of Monster and that he needs to be in a car with their name on the side to do it.

GF wanted full sponsorship or no sponsorship. Monster stepped up their sponsor dollars this year. FCR in CC may not've been a championship team, but they had the potential. AJ proved that 2 years ago. No team in the IRL that would require PT to bring money has that potential.

Don Quixote
03-14-08, 03:24 PM
I have this mental image of PT crashing out on turn 1 of most the races, with Monster getting lots of ROI in the first 10 minutes of every broadcast. :laugh: