PDA

View Full Version : Ax Men

oddlycalm
03-10-08, 11:25 PM
History Channel is taking a page from Discovery Channels 'Deadliest Catch' with their new reality show 'Ax Men.' The show follows four gypo (independent) logging contractors as they work small contracts in the Coast Range under deadline. From my limited first hand experience it is absolutely accurate and the camera crew should be getting combat pay. Seriously.

There is a lot of talk of unintended self-amputations and the boss of one outfit proudly displays part of a Visegrip C clamp he uses as a prosthesis lashed on with a wad of duct tape while he runs a chainsaw with a 58" bar.

The dialogue ranges from how dangerous it is to yelling "hurry up you bleepity bleep bleep" or the classic "slack 'er back Bub, she's breakin' loose" which happens every 10 minutes or so in reality as well as on the show. For those that don't speak Derf there are subtitles. You'll need them. One of the yarder operators looks like he's either had 90 cups of esspresso or is seriously tweaked.

Highlights from the first show (repeating now) include a helicopter dragging a cable rig getting snagged on a tree (dayum Bub, where we gonna land this thing?), the same cable nearly taking off a guys leg and testicles as it plays out (slow motion replay of testicle clearing ballet leap) and part of a log deck sliding down the 45 degree grade where guys are running fast, fast, fast over steep and rough ground to get the hell out of the way.

In the final scene they get a yarder (mobile vertical boom) stuck in the mud with the boom up and the operator quits in disgust (how do you quit when you have no ride back to town?). In shows to come guys with really big chainsaws will cut down trees in torrential downpours and snow, which is always great fun and it looks like a falling tree takes out a camera.

Anyway, see the guys that didn't finish high school on the Oregon Coast try to get through a day of work without getting killed and decide for yourself exactly how dangerous the Indy 500 really is in the bigger scheme of things... [/:gomer: ]

oc

Michaelhatesfans
03-11-08, 12:26 AM
All I ever needed to know I learned growing up in Oregon.

Don't rely on the weather.
Don't leave the trail.
Don't mess with loggers.

:thumbup:

Time to run up to the attic to find my old copy of "Sometimes a Great Notion.":cool:

datachicane
03-11-08, 06:23 PM
Let this Oregonian add...

Don't turn your back on the ocean
If it lives in water, you can eat it
Umbrellas- what's the point?
Don't buy property where the trees curve up out of the hillside

God, I love this state

Michaelhatesfans
03-12-08, 10:43 AM
Don't turn your back on the ocean

Indeed.:(

Andrew Longman
03-12-08, 11:22 AM
Saw it last night. Its a keeper.:thumbup:

Really makes you appreciate here in the East the fact that just about every damn tree from the Atlantic to Indiana was cut down by hand before about 1920, most far earlier than that. No chain saws. The big technological "breakthrough" was geared steam locomotives to haul the load down the mountain.

Damn that is hard work. Makes me glad I'm a lazy assed college educated "professional" :D

sadams
03-12-08, 11:43 AM
I like the use of the Sherman tank as a yarder. Real high $ operation there.

Wheel-Nut
03-12-08, 12:36 PM
I liked the dude that almost lost his leg with that rope the helo was lifting.

Gnam
03-12-08, 01:03 PM
Wonder if they'll have to deal with eco-warriors spiking trees and roads? They mentioned "trees are renewable" a couple of times.

Ankf00
03-12-08, 01:26 PM
2 buddies in school spent a summer guiding logs down some river in WA. Crazy mofos.

oddlycalm
03-13-08, 08:53 PM
I like the use of the Sherman tank as a yarder. Real high $ operation there. Yup, nice lashup. I was wondering who they call for parts when it breaks down....:confused:

oc