PDA

View Full Version : Look what I got

nrc
03-10-08, 10:21 PM
It occurred to me that at some point champcar.ws will probably go dark and everything on it will either disappear or be at the mercy of Tony George if it's part of the "intellectual property" he's paying for. Thinking about what's worth preserving, the images are the most obvious. Galleries on the site go back to 2001.

So I wrote a little script to download every one of the higher resolution images. They're not high rez by today's standards, but 800x is all they have from what I can find. That's over 20,000 images.

Unfortunately there's probably not much that I can do with them. I can't just post them here en mass because I don't know what happens to the copyright on them after CCWS folds. So for now I'll probably just stash them on a DVD and put it in a drawer.

Next project, session results.

TRDfan
03-10-08, 10:29 PM
Man those cars look good.....just like real race cars ;)

KLang
03-10-08, 10:38 PM
With real sponsors.

Sean Malone
03-10-08, 11:01 PM
Sniff, sniff.

Brack, DeFerran, Vasser and Bruno. Ahh, the memories.

Who was the guy who drove for Chip after Vasser and Juan? Around the time Memo was getting a shot. Was that shunt under the bridge at RA the straw for Memo?

Brazil was such a big player in CART. Rich drivers that actually had talent because their rich orange grove and cattle ranch owning dads allowed them to race from the time they were 1. The Roval. Gregs spin in turn 4 and then won it if I remember. Wild ass race course that's for sure. Brahma with Boesel. There was a large contingent. Once the races stopped, that pretty much dried things up.

Thinking back through the names there used to be quite the F1 crew also. Blundell, Mansell, Fitti, et al. Hell, even Fitti 'the nephew' took a 'spin' in F1 (end over end). It used to be the only argument the gomers could make is that CART was an F1 retirement home.

I was interested to see Kellners view point and somewhat surprised but on the other hand I agree for the most part. I just can't get excited about the car. The car sucks.

Sorry for the streaming thoughts...:)

FCYTravis
03-10-08, 11:12 PM
Well done, nrc. Thanks for doing your bit to preserve some of Champ Car's history. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
03-10-08, 11:29 PM
Man those cars look good.....just like real race cars ;) Looking good, sounding good.

oc

swift
03-10-08, 11:43 PM
:thumbup: nrc, much appreciated

Who was the guy who drove for Chip after Vasser and Juan? Around the time Memo was getting a shot. Was that shunt under the bridge at RA the straw for Memo?
Nicholas Minassian & Bruno Junqueira were the Ganassi drivers for the 2001 CART season. Nicholas was yanked, Memo stepped in the #12 car at Portland, and finished out the season.

Sean Malone
03-10-08, 11:52 PM
:thumbup: nrc, much appreciated

Nicholas Minassian & Bruno Junqueira were the Ganassi drivers for the 2001 CART season. Nicholas was yanked, Memo stepped in the #12 car at Portland, and finished out the season.

Minassian. That's it. Thanks!

Kiwifan
03-11-08, 01:32 AM
Thanks Boss! :thumbup:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. We really did have the world by the tail, cars, tracks, drivers, sponsors. Sigh. I really don't want to think about what is left, possibly I'll find it up past the end of said tail. ;)

To each and every one of you who has helped me, put up photos or info about the sport I love(d) thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Rusty.

RaceGrrl
03-11-08, 09:17 AM
How about a pic of Franchitti's blue Kool car? :)

BZSetshot
03-11-08, 09:39 AM
That is excellent!

I remember going to Nazareth in 2001 and seeing Bruno and Nicolas standing at the CG garage area, and very few people came by to say hi or get their autograph. They looked a bit lost/out-of-place if I recall correctly...

Wheel-Nut
03-11-08, 09:41 AM
It occurred to me that at some point champcar.ws will probably go dark and everything on it will either disappear . . . . .

I often think the same thing about Peter Burke's site. Lots of good stuff over there.

Elmo T
03-11-08, 10:30 AM
That is excellent!

I remember going to Nazareth in 2001 and seeing Bruno and Nicolas standing at the CG garage area, and very few people came by to say hi or get their autograph. They looked a bit lost/out-of-place if I recall correctly...

When I saw their names pop up in this thread, I had the exact same recollection. :laugh: They certainly looked out of place.

RHR_Fan
03-11-08, 10:44 AM
That is excellent!

I got their autographs in Milwaukee that year! Everyone was crowding around the big teams and I like to support the little guys. I also got Zanardi's autograph. I was surprised at how small his line was.

dando
03-11-08, 11:19 AM
I often think the same thing about Peter Burke's site. Lots of good stuff over there.

Yeah, Peter's site fills in what's missing from the CCWS site from '96-'00. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-11-08, 01:09 PM
Must preserve all the camel toads! :D

I always liked the Reynards better than Lolas.

Joelski
03-11-08, 03:34 PM
Nice work, man! :thumbup:

oddlycalm
03-11-08, 04:38 PM
There sure have been some great cars over the years. Remember the Robin Herd/Adrian Newey designed March 84C, 85C and 85C? Before the young Adrian Reynard went out on his own, and took the business with him, it seemed like outside of the Penskes and a Lola or two the entire field was in a March. The only decent picture I can find of one is Andretti the lesser's ugly old Kraco livery car which seems to get sold every year or two. Guess I may have to dig out some slides and scan them...

oc

cameraman
03-11-08, 06:24 PM
That's over 20,000 images.

So how many days did that take? :eek:

No reason, just wondering;)

JT265
03-11-08, 06:28 PM
How about a pic of Franchitti's blue Kool car? :)

NO WAY!!!! :thumdown:

Oh wait! <sorry!> :p

nrc
03-12-08, 07:40 PM
So how many days did that take? :eek:

No reason, just wondering;)

The first half, about two days. For the second half I reduced the delay between downloads and it finished in a day.

Chaos
03-13-08, 04:02 PM
Would you mind sharing said script?!

Gnam
03-17-08, 02:19 PM
Another source of archive material: 2004-2008
password - media
http://www.bridgestonemediagallery.com/

source:CCF thread (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51096)