PDA

View Full Version : good orlando restaurants

Stu
03-10-08, 05:25 AM
in florida for spring training, need some nice restaurant advice. nothing that is super fancy (only packed jeans and shorts). also nothing that we have here in cleveland.

for example, when we were in kansas city, we went to jack stacks for some intense bbq. obviously kc is know for bbq. but i cant think of anything that florida is known for other than old people, bad college football, stupid voters who cannot figure out a simple butterfly ballot, and gatorade.

Sean O'Gorman
03-10-08, 08:48 AM
Krystal

Andrew Longman
03-10-08, 09:13 AM
I can't recommend a restaurant, but one thing FL is known for is Stone Crab. Really good. They only harvest the claws, and throw the crab back which grows the claw back. Very sweet like lobster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAU94U1b5e8&feature

Crab season last until May, so you are in luck

Sean Malone
03-10-08, 09:46 AM
I don't know much about it but there is a strip of restaurants outside Disney. Some wacky things for kids, some racing place (if it's still in biz), I think Andretti the lesser was partnered with some NASCAR guy. Went there once and it blew, don't bother.
There are a lot of surf and turf places. I remember seeing billboard after billboard about surf and turf, usually with some Italian name like Lugio's. There is no shortage, Orlando is like the blob that ate Florida. It's tripled in size in the last 10 years.

Andrew is right about the stone crab claws, also, Grouper. Grouper is to FL what lobsters are to Maine...almost. So find a seafood restaurant that advertising fresh caught grouper and stone crab claws.

SteveH
03-10-08, 10:39 AM
Its been four or five years, but I ate at a very good Cuban restaurant called Columbia in Celebration FL. Celebration is a Disney community close to Kissimmee. The food was great. Its worth the drive just to see how perfect a community can be, as you'd expect it to be with Disney designing it.

dando
03-10-08, 10:58 AM
Emeril's has a couple of places down there. Shorts might do for lunch, but not for dinner. Check emerils.com for the 411. I believe they are located near Universal Studios. Highly recommended. I've been to this joints in NOLA and Vega$.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
03-10-08, 11:17 AM
I believe that Stu is looking for something in the "$2.99 all you can eat ______" variety. Then again, he has the wife with him, so he might be willing to pay up to $5.00 for a quality meal. Either way, cultural diversity isn't really their thing, so I think the Cuban restaurant is out. :laugh:

KLang
03-10-08, 11:41 AM
I too have been to Emeril's restuaurants in NOLA and Vegas and recommend them highly. Do bring a full wallet though.

dando
03-10-08, 11:43 AM
I believe that Stu is looking for something in the "$2.99 all you can eat ______" variety. Then again, he has the wife with him, so he might be willing to pay up to $5.00 for a quality meal. Either way, cultural diversity isn't really their thing, so I think the Cuban restaurant is out. :laugh:

In that case...

http://www.orlandotouristinformationbureau.com/restaurants/familybudgetbuffets.htm

:)

-Kevin

Warlock!
03-10-08, 12:25 PM
in florida for spring training...:saywhat:

You know there's one o' them automobile races down there soon, right???

Sean O'Gorman
03-10-08, 12:34 PM
In that case...

http://www.orlandotouristinformationbureau.com/restaurants/familybudgetbuffets.htm

:)

-Kevin

"Hey Shooter, want to go to the Sizzler, my treat!"

TravelGal
03-10-08, 01:34 PM
Family style restaurants: Bob Evans. Do you have them "up North"?
Village Inn. Like Marie Callendar's or Bakers Square but with better pies.
Perkins. See Village Inn.
And, of course, there is always Sonny's BBQ. :cry: :cry:

dando
03-10-08, 01:56 PM
Family style restaurants: Bob Evans. Do you have them "up North"?

Uh, Marge...Bob Evans startedin oHIo. :) Bob Evans Farm Rio Grande, OH:

http://www.bobevans.com/

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
03-10-08, 02:05 PM
I seriously think that I pass four of them on my way to work, including two in a 3-mile span on I-71. Also, there is one the next exit south of me.

racermike
03-10-08, 03:25 PM
I like the Orlando Ale House near the Airport

Great food for the prices, and plenty of HDTV's to watch your favorite sports at. It really is a fun atmosphere, and was very impressed with the service, and the quality of food served there.

http://www.millersalehouse.com/

I have eaten at the Orlando Airport location, N Miami Beach, and Doral Florida locations, each being a very good experience.

TravelGal
03-10-08, 06:19 PM
Uh, Marge...Bob Evans startedin oHIo. :) Bob Evans Farm Rio Grande, OH:

http://www.bobevans.com/

-Kevin

I seriously think that I pass four of them on my way to work, including two in a 3-mile span on I-71. Also, there is one the next exit south of me.

Ooopsie. LOL! Must have been thinking of, uh, well, if I could think of the name of the chain, I wouldn't have said Bob Evans. LOL! I have been to Gallipolis. Does that make it better? Or worse?

Stu
03-10-08, 07:17 PM

my wife just echoed what many people have said in the past about SOG, "i hate him." thought i should share. :)

the disney strip of restaurants is probably a good idea. nice recommendation about the crab, that sounds awesome.

Andrew Longman
03-10-08, 07:32 PM
Ooopsie. LOL! Must have been thinking of, uh, well, if I could think of the name of the chain, I wouldn't have said Bob Evans. LOL! I have been to Gallipolis. Does that make it better? Or worse?

Just don't screw up a YouTube link. They'll never let it go. :gomer:

dando
03-10-08, 08:27 PM
Just don't screw up a YouTube link. They'll never let it go. :gomer:

Youtubetard. :tony:

-Kevin

stroker
03-10-08, 09:36 PM
I was down there for a convention a couple of years ago. There was an English Pub sort of place in Kissimee called "Harry Ramsbottom's" that had some English beer on draft and fish & chips that were quite good. If you can get past the Soccer and Rugby on the tv it's not too bad, if it's still there.

There's a barbecue in Orlando that I thought was really good--Bubbalou's near the UCF campus. Very tasty.

Indy
03-10-08, 10:29 PM
This thread is hilarious.

Sean O'Gorman
03-10-08, 11:15 PM
The best part is, I got a call around 3:00 PM today asking me to search for where the closest Krystal is to the address where he was at the time. :rofl:

Stu
03-11-08, 10:13 AM
The best part is, I got a call around 3:00 PM today asking me to search for where the closest Krystal is to the address where he was at the time. :rofl:

heck yeah,, krystal was awesome. way better than white castle.

now i need something fancy for tonight. i was thinking somewhere along downtown disney prior to the csu game.

dando
03-11-08, 11:04 AM
heck yeah,, krystal was awesome. way better than white castle.

now i need something fancy for tonight. i was thinking somewhere along downtown disney prior to the csu game.

House of Blues. Damn good grub. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
03-11-08, 11:12 AM
Have that in Cleveland

dando
03-11-08, 11:35 AM
Have that in Cleveland

Yer not gonna find much that's unique in Downtown Disney. The restaurants there are all chains...Planet Hollywood, Blues, Wolfgang Puck, Rainforest Cafe, etc. There is a seafood joint on a steam boat and an irish pub themed place. Nothing that's bad, just not amazing.

-Kevin