PDA

View Full Version : WALKER RACING WITHDRAWS INDYCAR PROGRAM

Pages : [1] 2

SurfaceUnits
03-09-08, 05:45 PM
:cry:
Indianapolis, IN (March 9, 2008) - Reluctantly, Walker Racing has been forced to withdraw its attempt to join the IndyCar Series for 2008. The racing partnership of "Team Australia" and the association with Australian businessman Craig Gore, drivers Will Power and Simon Pagenaud, has also come to an end.

Notwithstanding a commitment for 2008, it came down to the lack of funding. A lengthy search for new sponsorship partners drew a blank, so Walker Racing had to close the program officially on Friday.

“It's a great pity that the team has had to abandon our IndyCar program. So much work by so many has gone into the Team Australia program over the last three and a half years, but now it will remain unfinished business for us. I wish my co-partner well with his new venture and so to Will and Simon and all the employees, associates and fans who have given me the opportunity. Many thanks,” said Walker Racing Owner, Derrick Walker.

----------------------------------------------------------
Wow, so some peeps hope for a resurgent OW sits at what, 15, 17 cars. Wooohoooo

BTW, Dave Despair thinks twinkle toes, danislut and Hollywood reporters is your best, [sic] only, hope.

Chiphead_Dave
03-09-08, 06:18 PM
The mergicrapification continues:shakehead

jcollins28
03-09-08, 06:18 PM
http://www.sportsonline.com.au/images/Products/7108.jpg

Andrew Longman
03-09-08, 06:59 PM
but now it will remain unfinished business for us.

Sad. For so long Walker was one of the few guys who just wanted to race and followed that they said were the rules

In the end he's one of the guys without a chair.

Much the same for Simon and Will.

So much for the merger causing a flood of sponsor interest.

This does not bode well because compared to Bachelart and Coyne I thought Walker had more solid chances.

I suppose someone will still pay them to be at LB. How else could they screw this up?

Racing Truth
03-09-08, 07:12 PM
Bad, really bad, for Walker and the mergified deal.

I guess we can assume Will Power is going to KV, no?

:shakehead

cart7
03-09-08, 07:15 PM
Kind of late in the game IMO. Most sponsorship deals are getting finalized in late summer to fall of the preceding year. Trying to scrounge money this late would be tough for anyone, for Walker, a guy who never met a handout he didn't like, probably impossible.

Wally
03-09-08, 07:34 PM
So Gore pulled the pin alla GF? :shakehead :thumdown:

TravelGal
03-09-08, 07:36 PM
Sad. For so long Walker was one of the few guys who just wanted to race and followed that they said were the rules

So much for the merger causing a flood of sponsor interest.

I suppose someone will still pay them to be at LB. How else could they screw this up?

1) Very true. The best guy left. And he left.
2) Did anyone REALLY think that? I mean besides the Looney Tooney Tony? I suppose some OC'ers did but I didn't see sponsors loving it for many reasons.
3) Oh, don't even ask. The mind reels with possibilities.

edit: Back to 2). MANY people on BOTH sides have told that there are HUGE sponsors just WAITING to come onboard as SOON as the two series are back together. I'd love to be wrong but I think those sponsors expected a merger. You know, the best of both, not the one plus the shriveling remains of a small part of the other.

KLang
03-09-08, 07:55 PM
I wish my co-partner well with his new venture

Gore partnering with someone else in the earl? Or NASCAR perhaps?

SurfaceUnits
03-09-08, 07:59 PM

how well does Aussie wine go with tenderloins? anybody??

Insomniac
03-09-08, 08:08 PM
1) Very true. The best guy left. And he left.
2) Did anyone REALLY think that? I mean besides the Looney Tooney Tony? I suppose some OC'ers did but I didn't see sponsors loving it for many reasons.
3) Oh, don't even ask. The mind reels with possibilities.

edit: Back to 2). MANY people on BOTH sides have told that there are HUGE sponsors just WAITING to come onboard as SOON as the two series are back together. I'd love to be wrong but I think those sponsors expected a merger. You know, the best of both, not the one plus the shriveling remains of a small part of the other.

I would've been shocked if the merger would immediately bring sponsors running. It would seem quite stupid of any marketing executive to invest $millions with an expectation of an ROI based solely on conjecture. Seems like a pretty fast way to the unemployment office.

extramundane
03-09-08, 08:10 PM
Much the same for Simon and Will.

At least Pagenaud saw the writing on the wall and got a paying job elsewhere while he still could.

Based on past behavior? Pretty easily, I'd say.

There's been all sorts of chatter about Kalkhoven & Gore getting together. So Walker loses another sponsor to an "Amigo?"

But way to go kids! At this rate, you'll kill the New, Improved IRL sooner than even I anticipated!

KLang
03-09-08, 08:26 PM
how well does Aussie wine go with tenderloins? anybody??

Tried them at the race in Vegas last year. Nothing to write home about.

dando
03-09-08, 08:31 PM
That's too bad for DW. He's was one of the few owners left that ya could really respect. So what's left? 1/2 of the CCWS field? Looks like FTG may have overestimated how many field fillers he could poach from the CCWS carcass. :tony:

-Kevin

jcollins28
03-09-08, 08:35 PM
At least Pagenaud saw the writing on the wall and got a paying job elsewhere while he still could.

There's been all sorts of chatter about Kalkhoven & Gore getting together. So Walker loses another sponsor to an "Amigo?"

But way to go kids! At this rate, you'll kill the New, Improved IRL sooner than even I anticipated!

So far I'm hearing about more people that plan on not going or are unsure of going to Long Beach then are saying yes to going to Long Beach. I have a feeling that when we get closer the ALMS race will be the headliner with the CHAMP CAR "race" penciled in as a demonstration of CHAMP CAR history.

SurfaceUnits
03-09-08, 08:48 PM
So far I'm hearing about more people that plan on not going or are unsure of going to Long Beach then are saying yes to going to Long Beach. I have a feeling that when we get closer the ALMS race will be the headliner with the CHAMP CAR "race" penciled in as a demonstration of CHAMP CAR history.how much would it cost to field a car for LB? 1/4 million?

pchall
03-09-08, 08:52 PM
Tried them at the race in Vegas last year. Nothing to write home about.

A tenderloin is just a badly done pork schnitzel. They don't deserve a good wine. A 40 of Schlitz is more like it.

jcollins28
03-09-08, 08:57 PM
how much would it cost to field a car for LB? 1/4 million?

I don't think it's a money thing. From my understanding Tony is actually paying for most of it. It's more of a pain in the a$$ just to go through the motions of a race that means nothing.

stroker
03-09-08, 10:05 PM
So the question in my mind remains: If someone can pick up the flag and build a roadracing series that's economically viable (GF + DP?) could they start it in '09?

extramundane
03-09-08, 10:42 PM
So the question in my mind remains: If someone can pick up the flag and build a roadracing series that's economically viable (GF + DP?) could they start it in '09?

GF couldn't make a series work that had a solid base to build on; the odds of him making a go of what would essentially be a startup are nil.

stroker
03-09-08, 10:52 PM
GF couldn't make a series work that had a solid base to build on; the odds of him making a go of what would essentially be a startup are nil.

Really? Everybody seems to think Atlantics is toast in '09 (if not sooner). I haven't heard anyone saying the Atlantics grid is full of people subsidized by CC management... they seem to be able to pay the bills at SOME level.

I'm not suggesting that Atlantics simply step in to the void created by the loss of CC. I'm suggesting that if somebody with the money (GF) were to start with a completely clean sheet with somebody who knows how to run a series (DP) that it might be possible to come up with something that comes closer to filling the demand of the fans.

I don't want to hijack this--but I'm puzzled by the conventional wisdom here that it's impossible with the lack of specifics produced. For the amount of angst the situation obviously involves I'd think there would be more folks trying to make the glass half-full instead of completely empty...

Rogue Leader
03-09-08, 11:57 PM
Possibly an example of "too little too late.."

After the loss of Forsythe and this, I am starting to doubt if this train wreck will ever recover or survive beyond 2009...

Maybe the Indy 500 will become an A1 GP event!

momotan
03-10-08, 01:03 AM
It looks like it's toast to me. The IRL has 16 cars for homestead and they will get 4 or 5 from what's left of CC. Wow 21 cars including FTG's 2 car team and Roth's stellar team that will fold after the I500. Post 500 grid size will be the usual 18. '09 will be even worse and when Honda hits the road, the series is over. No subsidized racing for AGR, Ganassi or Penske. What a brilliant strategy to give these teams subsidies when your competing against yourself! TG should just save his money, shut it all down and make the I500 one of two stops for Nascar at the brickyard. He will make way more money and he won't have to worry about falling ratings, attendance and interest.

TravelGal
03-10-08, 01:58 AM
So far I'm hearing about more people that plan on not going or are unsure of going to Long Beach then are saying yes to going to Long Beach. I have a feeling that when we get closer the ALMS race will be the headliner with the CHAMP CAR "race" penciled in as a demonstration of CHAMP CAR history.

I haven't heard anything (I'M NOT LISTENING to rumors any more!) but that's pretty much what it seems to me--just on common sense.

FCYTravis
03-10-08, 02:35 AM
somebody who knows how to run a series (DP)
Don Panoz has his hands full trying to keep the ALMS going; why would he want to start a new series that would essentially be competing with his baby for sponsor dollars and eyeballs?

opinionated ow
03-10-08, 03:56 AM
So Gore pulled the pin alla GF? :shakehead :thumdown:
as i said i think in december. its been going to happen for ages

Gore is focusing on NASCAR-my guess if he will get out of that at year's end too. He has sold off his V8 Supercar team too.

robot9000
03-10-08, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure how this is a suprise to anyone. There were hints about this before the merger came about. Plus, Walker has ALWAYS scrambled for last min sponsor deals. His latest stint with Aussie Vin. is kind of the exception, not the rule. From the sounds of things, it sounds like Gore planned to move on in any case.

I think you might see more sponsors next year. The Merger suprised the participants, so I don't see how anyone would reasonably think a sponsor would pop out of the woodwork with $4.5+ million to toss around. Especially given where the economy is headed.

The merger (or whatever it is) really only eliminates the confusion in the market. Not much more. And it was CC's problem more so than the IRL's. At RA I kept hearing that the biggest problem a CC team had when pitching a sponsor was explaining what CC was without using the I word.

SteveH
03-10-08, 10:35 AM
At RA I kept hearing that the biggest problem a CC team had when pitching a sponsor was explaining what CC was without using the I word.

I don't doubt that one bit, however even having the I word, IRL teams haven't really set the word on fire for sponsorships. If the amalgamation is going to have a positive effect on sponsorship it should come during the first year, however by amalgamating so close to the beginning of the season, there's almost no way to capitalize on it. Budgets nearly everywhere were set 4 months previous. By the time 2009 rolls around it will be more of :yawn: than anything else.

Munk
03-10-08, 10:50 AM

What other sponsor did he lose to an amigo? :confused:

Andrew Longman
03-10-08, 11:11 AM
What other sponsor did he lose to an amigo? :confused:

Corona and Lavin to Forsythe

Ruben Barrios
03-10-08, 11:59 AM
Must be a mistake... Forsythe is the new coming of the Lord... a man with very high business ethics... and wants to save Champcar... ;)

Insomniac
03-10-08, 12:03 PM
Really? Everybody seems to think Atlantics is toast in '09 (if not sooner). I haven't heard anyone saying the Atlantics grid is full of people subsidized by CC management... they seem to be able to pay the bills at SOME level.

I'm not suggesting that Atlantics simply step in to the void created by the loss of CC. I'm suggesting that if somebody with the money (GF) were to start with a completely clean sheet with somebody who knows how to run a series (DP) that it might be possible to come up with something that comes closer to filling the demand of the fans.

I don't want to hijack this--but I'm puzzled by the conventional wisdom here that it's impossible with the lack of specifics produced. For the amount of angst the situation obviously involves I'd think there would be more folks trying to make the glass half-full instead of completely empty...

First, they signed a non-compete clause. Second, if GF had everything he needed when he and KK bought CART and still couldn't get it to work, why would a clean sheet matter? They didn't like CART and they morphed into Champ Car. All objective numbers just kept dropping. The demand of the fans left isn't going to be nearly enough.

extramundane
03-10-08, 01:15 PM
Don Panoz has his hands full trying to keep the ALMS going; why would he want to start a new series that would essentially be competing with his baby for sponsor dollars and eyeballs?

To add to that, I've not seen much evidence that Panoz even cares much about his current series these days. This notion that Don Panoz will swoop in and "save" the carcass of Champ Car is Fantasy Island at its best.

Mike Kellner
03-10-08, 01:18 PM
Hey, I realize this is a minor point, but the IRL is the only series we have left. Cheering for its demise is cheering for the end of US OW.

For 12 years the partisans from both sides cheered because they could see that the other end of the boat was sinking fast.

News Flash...

There is only ever was one boat, and it is now riding about an inch above the gunwales. One big wave and it's sunk.

If the people on the racing forums won't support the only series we have left, we may as well toss in the towel and bring on the Silver Crown Cars for the Memorial Day Race.

Having 18 cars report to the grid in one series is a lot better than having 9 cars report to the grid in two ideologically pure series. I'd rather see 20 formula cars at Indy than 33 Silver Crown Cars or Craftsman Trucks.

It is going to take a ton of work, and luck, and support from the few fans that are left to save this. ) 08 is going to suck, and 09 isn't going to be the dream season. But it beats having no big time US OW series.

This place feels a lot like trying to reason with the Lemmings over at Dolan World. Except that hero & enemy lists have been switched.

You are a nice lot, and many are old forum buddies, but I think you are in the process of flushing what we have left down the drain. Not an activity I care to partake in.

mk

Insomniac
03-10-08, 01:26 PM
Hey, I realize this is a minor point, but the IRL is the only series we have left. Cheering for its demise is cheering for the end of US OW.

For 12 years the partisans from both sides cheered because they could see that the other end of the boat was sinking fast.

News Flash...

There is only ever was one boat, and it is now riding about an inch above the gunwales. One big wave and it's sunk.

If the people on the racing forums won't support the only series we have left, we may as well toss in the towel and bring on the Silver Crown Cars for the Memorial Day Race.

Having 18 cars report to the grid in one series is a lot better than having 9 cars report to the grid in two ideologically pure series. I'd rather see 20 formula cars at Indy than 33 Silver Crown Cars or Craftsman Trucks.

It is going to take a ton of work, and luck, and support from the few fans that are left to save this. ) 08 is going to suck, and 09 isn't going to be the dream season. But it beats having no big time US OW series.

This place feels a lot like trying to reason with the Lemmings over at Dolan World. Except that hero & enemy lists have been switched.

You are a nice lot, and many are old forum buddies, but I think you are in the process of flushing what we have left down the drain. Not an activity I care to partake in.

mk

If racing requires the support of internet forum posters to make it, it has long passed failure.

I also think most would appreciate it if you didn't lump everyone into one group.

The poll here (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13963) greatly disagrees with your lumping everyone together.

extramundane
03-10-08, 01:27 PM

The successes Atlantic has had over the last few years is largely due to the management team in place for that series. Forsythe & Kalkhoven might own the series, but they apparently left it to its own devices most of the time.

O'Connor > Johnson.

At this point, some of us would prefer that neither George, Kalkhoven, Forsythe nor any of the recent crop of suspects get near our glasses. I'd rather my glass remained empty for a bit than be half-filled with dirty dishwater.

cameraman
03-10-08, 01:31 PM
To add to that, I've not seen much evidence that Panoz even cares much about his current series these days.

His age & health aren't helping any...

and the ACO looks to be getting ready to entirely screw up the LMS worse than they already have and that **** will roll down hill to the ALMS.

datachicane
03-10-08, 02:20 PM
Hey, I realize this is a minor point, but the IRL is the only series we have left. Cheering for its demise is cheering for the end of US OW. <<<>>>

mk

I don't think anyone's cheering for its demise.

If I found the IRL + CART teams compelling enough to watch, I'd have been a fan since Penske and Ganassi jumped ship. Heck, I'm more than willing to give them a chance, but it'll need a decent formula and an improved schedule first. Tony George has done nicely enough for years without me as a fan, and he is free to continue to do so in the future with my blessing. I'm not about to force myself to sit through a season or six or ten of the current offering in the hope that someday it will actually interest me. That's like marrying someone you can't stand in the hope that someday they'll change.

Painful as it is to say, as a product that interests me enough to watch, U.S. OW already is dead, right here, right now, no waiting for the flush necessary. Not pining, it's passed on. U.S. OW is no more! It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. It is a late discipline. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If not nailed to Honda's forehead it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-sport.

dando
03-10-08, 03:18 PM
mk,

I'm not cheering for anything these days. It's just become such a cluster **** that it's less and less compelling to give a rats ass anymore. Plus, the loss of GF and DW's teams just makes it all more less appealing. Sorry, but I can't be a fanboy either way. :(

In regards to OC's bias, it's an open forum. Just don't go around hailing FTG as a savior.

-Kevin

Racing Truth
03-10-08, 05:18 PM
The successes Atlantic has had over the last few years is largely due to the management team in place for that series. Forsythe & Kalkhoven might own the series, but they apparently left it to its own devices most of the time.

O'Connor > Johnson.

At this point, some of us would prefer that neither George, Kalkhoven, Forsythe nor any of the recent crop of suspects get near our glasses. I'd rather my glass remained empty for a bit than be half-filled with dirty dishwater.

I do think putting O'Connor in some position of authority IN ICS would do wonders,

That said, to your second point, disagree, in this sense. If you blow EVERYTHING up, what makes us believe there will be a market and interest for it to return? Seriously, if it all goes on hiatus now are people going to suddenly say, "You know, I really miss that open-wheel racing (even though I haven't watched in 10 yrs.)?" Don't think so.

Now, you can argue that its still preferrable to end everything, but just be clear that is a call to end it all for good.

SurfaceUnits
03-10-08, 05:58 PM
I think KK dropped a white elephant on the inheritor's dumbass

Did KK decide during his winter of discontent in the deep south that there was nothing he could do make his enterprise prosperous while tg was still around?

He apparently stopped making any investments in the Series and knew that the inheritor was so eager to own it all that it wouldn't be a problem dumping it on him. And as we have seen, the inheritor even paid for the privilege of owning the elephant and will be paying for its upkeep for eternity, what with a fan base of <.01%.

If you don't know what a white elephants is, google it or wiki it. And if you are one of those who doesn't like nouns being used as verbs, go to www.google.com or wikipedia.org and type in white elephant, and then hit Enter or click on the Search button.

JLMannin
03-10-08, 06:00 PM

mk

After reading your message, I checked my drivers license and was relieved to see that it did not say Tony George, meaning those are not my fingerprints on the flush lever from 1994.

To expect TG to suddenly think logically and rebuild the series is akin to expecting Earth to begin rotating the opposite direction.

Part of the reason of the genesis of the irl , IMO, was that winning the series championship (CART) was almost as prestegious as winning the 500 itself. Why would he be a willing participant in any plan to rebuild the series and restore the very threat that he set out to eradicate?

Chiphead_Dave
03-10-08, 06:07 PM

SO WHAT!

You are a nice lot, and many are old forum buddies, but I think you are in the process of flushing what we have left down the drain.

mk
I'm ok with that.

I watched CC because it was the best racing and technology in town.
The IRL doesn't even deserve the last drop of pee IMHO.

If there was only NASCAR racing in the US :yuck: I wouldn't watch it either.

If AOW dies it dies but I won't help it at this point.

I will give ALMS a shot because I hear it might be tolerable.

SurfaceUnits
03-10-08, 06:17 PM

mkHey, give me 10 reasons why it deserves better.

nrc
03-10-08, 06:32 PM
Hey, give me 10 reasons why it deserves better.

The fans. If you want all ten of their names I'll have to get back to you.

Spicoli
03-10-08, 07:22 PM
seems all we got left is hate.

Andrew Longman
03-10-08, 07:30 PM

Wrong

I have a lot of good memories.

And if chumps like us keep it real, someone might notice what the people really want.

There is a chance, very small, but a chance that the Frances will continue with their silliness, TG will be happy to feel like he's in control, and after a time, enough fans and real racers will turn the sport into something worth watching.

It happened once before you know ;)

cameraman
03-10-08, 07:30 PM
Nah,

We still have this:

Thursday, Mar. 13, 2008
11:00 p.m. EST Australian Grand Prix Practice (L)

Friday, Mar. 14, 2008
11:00 p.m. EST Australian Grand Prix Qualifying (L)

Saturday, Mar. 15, 2008
11:30 p.m. EST Inside Grand Prix
12:00 a.m. EST Australian Grand Prix (L)

and it can't happen too soon.

oddlycalm
03-10-08, 07:59 PM

You are a nice lot, and many are old forum buddies, but I think you are in the process of flushing what we have left down the drain. Not an activity I care to partake in. Mike, after 12yrs of utterly selfish and irresponsible management from three separate outfits (IMS, CART & CCWS) how in the world do we; a) have any way to influence a positive outcome or b) feel like doing anything after being abused mightily by some of the same rabid opportunists we are now supposed to root for? I'm pretty flexible but I prefer to take the horn of the rhino all the way out before I try sitting down again thanks.

Some of the folks here are among the suddenly unemployed and the rest of us are getting a real close 2nd hand look at that very unamusing process. This BS effects real families in real ways, so if nobody feels like waiving the IRL flag and cheering right now why is that surprising?

Some people here have made it clear that they feel like you do and will follow the racing. If it improves substantially I'm sure more will be inclined to tune back in, but this doesn't feel like a time for happy talk about the glory of seasons yet to come. A lot of people are hopeful but few have faith.

See poll (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14229)

Looks like roughly 30% feel AOW will be more successful out a few years while 32% feel it'll be about the same and another 38% feel it'll either be doing worse or be gone. Given the where we are in all this that seems pretty reasonable.

Comparing people here to the plate heads, mouth breathers that are regulars at Dolan's (present company and DaveL excluded) seems a bit out of character for you. You sure you aren't reacting to the emotions of the moment as well...? Aside from the poll there has been a full range of comments so characterizing them as one dimensional simply isn't true. You're basing that on a quick reading of a couple threads.

Most seem to want to hang here and continue to discuss. It may be the sports, bacon and colonic shrimp threads....

oc

Winston Wolfe
03-10-08, 08:00 PM
To expect TG to suddenly think logically and rebuild the series is akin to expecting Earth to begin rotating the opposite direction.

Part of the reason of the genesis of the irl , IMO, was that winning the series championship (CART) was almost as prestegious as winning the 500 itself. Why would he be a willing participant in any plan to rebuild the series and restore the very threat that he set out to eradicate?

This is the part I cannot get past... good post JLM :thumbup:

Walker always seems to have "found a way" to get funding, and I will always fondly remember him on the team radio with Robby G back in the salad days of CART, trying to talk Robby "off the ledge" when FMA the lesser would cut him off , or something would chap RG's hide and Cleveland GP specifically comes to mind... There may be some other motivation behind him not coming over to EARL (in an effort to get TonyBux, etc.) but I've got to believe that Walker would rather be at a race track than sitting at home, NOT being at the track....
The whole scenario is kind of effed up, and I have limited confidence that the new boy, TG, has the mental capacity to "make it all right" in OW in NA... Somehow, it just dont seem right, and I dont think we have seen the last of Mr. Walker - at least I hope not ! :thumbup:

Racing Truth
03-10-08, 08:09 PM

News Flash...

mk

Mike: First, glad that you have escaped Dolan's place.:thumbup:

I'd also say this place is much, much, much better than CCCF. No doubt, those tools are dancing on Walker's grave, simply b/c it hurts Tony George. That is absurd. Most here are not.

That said, while I agree with you on a personal level, I support anyone who can't support this out of principle. This split was utterly unique in American sport and the passions are still raw. For some, supporting this is a bridge too far.

OTOH, I don't think others need to actively root for it's failure either.

Duroc
03-10-08, 08:20 PM
At RA I kept hearing that the biggest problem a CC team had when pitching a sponsor was explaining what CC was without using the I word.

Politely saying no to unwanted pan handlers. The ability to say "Indy" isn't going to change anything except the excuses given when refusing. Put another way: does somebody want to make the case that Craftsman is better off leaving NASCAR's third tier series for the smoking remains of American Open Wheel?

stroker
03-10-08, 09:28 PM

Nope. Yamamoto knew what it was, and it wasn't hate.

extramundane
03-10-08, 09:37 PM
That said, to your second point, disagree, in this sense. If you blow EVERYTHING up, what makes us believe there will be a market and interest for it to return? Seriously, if it all goes on hiatus now are people going to suddenly say, "You know, I really miss that open-wheel racing (even though I haven't watched in 10 yrs.)?" Don't think so.

Now, you can argue that its still preferrable to end everything, but just be clear that is a call to end it all for good.

It doesn't appear there's a market for it now, let alone 10 years from now. We know TG can't run a series properly, and now the magical mergerfication that was supposed to Make It All Better has already lost two of the more prominent teams, with more losses not out of the question. So would ending it all for good really be worse? If there's another Dan Gurney lurking out there, he's going to appear whether the IRL exists or not. And if there's not another Dan Gurney, or even a low-rent Bernie, then I'd rather see it die now than twist on the vine for a few more years.

Sure, I'll watch sometimes, but in the same way I watched Robby Kreiger croak out Jim Morrison's lines a few years ago. It's all about the magnitude of the trainwreck at this point.

Indy
03-10-08, 10:26 PM
Kellner speaks the truth.

Ruben Barrios
03-10-08, 11:13 PM
I've been getting these ideas lately...

Maybe Walker wasn't going to make the call on CCWS, same thing for other teams... they called on KK and company to ante some KKbucks and KK simply said "enough is enough..." They realized CCWS was way short on the car count and thus the best scenario not to leave anybody out hanging (specially the owners) was to fuse CCWS with the IRL (with it's own car count problems)...

The more I think of this scenario the more sense it makes...

oddlycalm
03-10-08, 11:38 PM
The next logical question is exactly who is going to show up for Long Beach? How do they pull a grid full of cars out of their ears from the teams that were just left for dead and with an organization where all the employees where just laid off?

That should be a happy get little together.... or wake as the case may be.

oc

TravelGal
03-11-08, 01:11 AM
The next logical question is exactly who is going to show up for Long Beach? How do they pull a grid full of cars out of their ears from the teams that were just left for dead and with an organization where all the employees where just laid off?

That should be a happy get little together.... or wake as the case may be.

oc

Been wondering this since 2/22 at 2 pm Central Time. What did Spicoli say? Six employees left? Lessee....1 for media, 1 for logistics, 1 for timing and scoring, 1 for race control, 1 for safety team, and 1 for miscellaneous like pace cars, celeb race, liaison with other series, drivers, and city. Yep, that should do it.

cameraman
03-11-08, 01:13 AM
with an organization where all the employees where just laid off?

But they all got free paddock passes...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Indy
03-11-08, 03:58 AM
The employees and volunteers should pull a Rahaldez and walk out just before they are needed at LB.

RHR_Fan
03-11-08, 08:49 AM
This is the part I cannot get past... good post JLM :thumbup:

Walker always seems to have "found a way" to get funding, and I will always fondly remember him on the team radio with Robby G back in the salad days of CART, trying to talk Robby "off the ledge" when FMA the lesser would cut him off , or something would chap RG's hide and Cleveland GP specifically comes to mind... There may be some other motivation behind him not coming over to EARL (in an effort to get TonyBux, etc.) but I've got to believe that Walker would rather be at a race track than sitting at home, NOT being at the track....
The whole scenario is kind of effed up, and I have limited confidence that the new boy, TG, has the mental capacity to "make it all right" in OW in NA... Somehow, it just dont seem right, and I dont think we have seen the last of Mr. Walker - at least I hope not ! :thumbup:

And that Ford was just a pig on the straights. :D

Had to throw out a classic there.

JLMannin
03-11-08, 11:04 AM
And that Ford was just a pig on the straights. :D

Had to throw out a classic there.

Varsha:

That roaring sound you hear in the distance is Robby Gordon burning his bridges

Or something similar to that

Sean O'Gorman
03-11-08, 11:13 AM
Why would a burning bridge roar?

nrc
03-11-08, 11:37 AM
Why would a burning bridge roar?

You've obviously never heard a really big fire.

Don Quixote
03-11-08, 11:45 AM
You've obviously never heard a really big fire.

He's too young to remember the Cuyahoga burning. :D

pchall
03-11-08, 12:10 PM
He's too young to remember the Cuyahoga burning. :D

Bah doum doum. :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
03-11-08, 12:47 PM
:(

cameraman
03-11-08, 02:19 PM
Derrick Walker posted this today

http://www.walkerracing.com/media/display.php?id=425&lang=en

Over the last 48 hours we have been flooded with calls and emails from fans and colleagues offering their support and we thank you for it all. We really do. It means a lot to all of us at Walker Racing. Now here is the story behind the story!

Up until a few days ago, I was of the belief, because of commitments that had been previously made to me, that we were to continue the Team Australia program into 2008. In addition, we had other new sponsorship opportunities that were progressing towards an agreement but, suddenly, both deals evaporated in the span of two days. Faced with that situation, I met with the employees and advised them of the difficult road ahead and the fact that we were starting all over again with new sponsor relationships. As of right now, these commitments and new opportunities have ruined the great plans we had been working on for the last two months.

Although the Team Australia program and relationship with Craig Gore has ended, as well as his commitment to move forward with us into IndyCar, Walker Racing is not out of business, nor have we thrown in the towel. Walker Racing still has the Atlantic program going. In fact, I am currently in California for the Atlantic test with Greg and Leo Mansell, and Kevin Lacroix.

The employees are the biggest asset of a race team. Whether it's driving the car, engineering it or taking care of the trucks and equipment, the employees are the most important asset, period!

Having said that, my first meeting was with the employees. I shared with them the bad news and the difficult situation we were in. I asked them to give us until Monday, but to be aware because I had my work cut out for me. We released the statement in as professional and businesslike of a manor to inform everyone that the Team Australia partnership had ended along with the new sponsorships. Never sugar coated it, nor did we hang out our dirty laundry in public.

As for my partnership with Craig Gore, we have some loose ends to sort out, which Craig has assured me they will be taken care of. Through these last couple of years, Craig had the passion for the Team Australia program and time will tell if Craig will stay in IndyCar, but for us it was unfortunately the end of the Team Australia partnership. It is part of the business we are in today. Things change and we have to move on.

So we are not out of racing by any means. There is a huge mountain to climb, but if I can get the job done in time we will be there at Homestead. I will not kid you, it will be tough. The Atlantic program will definitely continue, and we are looking at A1GP to possibly help out some other race teams and take that time to work our way back to IndyCar in 2009. It's the best time to be in open wheel racing and we want to get back as soon as we can. Stay tuned, we will keep you posted.

Munk
03-11-08, 02:56 PM
Varsha:

Or something similar to that

I thought that Varsha said.... "That sound you hear in the background is the sound of bridges burning."

oddlycalm
03-11-08, 03:53 PM
Derrick Walker posted this today

http://www.walkerracing.com/media/display.php?id=425&lang=en Walker is a class guy. Contrast his approach to that of the CCWS owners and it makes them look like what they are.

oc

Spicoli
03-12-08, 10:52 AM
Hearing that KK bought Aussie Vienyards. :confused:

:thumbup: :thumdown: ???????????????????????????????

would esplain alot.

patski
03-12-08, 11:36 AM
Walker is a class guy. Contrast his approach to that of the CCWS owners and it makes them look like what they are.

oc

Walker is a class guy? You have to be kidding! Derrick is a fence sitter.

Ruben Barrios
03-12-08, 11:49 AM
When it comes to racing, it pains me to say that now I understand that everyone is a fence sitter... everyone... it's all about the size of the check...

Don Quixote
03-12-08, 12:10 PM
So in the land of the insanely rich, instead of marketing a sponsor, you actually buy the sponsor? :confused: :gomer:

Sean Malone
03-12-08, 12:34 PM
So in the land of the insanely rich, instead of marketing a sponsor, you actually buy the sponsor? :confused: :gomer:

No, in the insanely rich world if you want a bottle of wine you buy a vineyard and if you want to play golf you have a golf course built on your backyard.:)

Don Quixote
03-12-08, 01:42 PM
No, in the insanely rich world if you want a bottle of wine you buy a vineyard and if you want to play golf you have a golf course built on your backyard.:) Gotcha. I was thinking of buying a Dell laptop. Instead, I think I'll buy the Dell Corporation.

Racing Truth
03-12-08, 02:17 PM
More rumors, dunno how valid. (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/indycar/news/160696-0/hope_for_walker?.html)

“After the statement we made on Sunday regarding our IndyCar effort, we have had tremendous support and a number of inquiries that may produce some ability to compete in the IndyCar Series on some level, whether it be a full or half-season," the ex-pat Scot commented, "At least, it will give us the chance to compete at some capacity. We remain cautiously optimistic.”

Gnam
03-12-08, 02:29 PM
Scorecard:
2008 Champ Car teams
(-2) Forsythe/Petitt - OUT
(-2) Team Australia - OUT (?)
(-1) RocketSports - OUT (?)
(-2) Pacific Coast - OUT (?)
(-1) Minardi USA - OUT
( 2) Dale Coyne - (?)

(+2) NHL Racing - IN
(+2) KV Racing w/ Gore - IN
(+1) HVM Racing w/ Wiggins - IN
(+2) Conquest w/ Forsythe Eng. - IN

Did I miss anything?

SteveH
03-12-08, 02:31 PM
More rumors, dunno how valid. (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/indycar/news/160696-0/hope_for_walker?.html)

So, Tony George phoned him and asked how big the check should be.:gomer:

Racing Truth
03-12-08, 02:34 PM
So, Tony George phoned him and asked how big the check should be.:gomer:

Sounds likely to me.

Don Quixote
03-12-08, 02:47 PM
Sounds likely to me.
It's hard not to read that between the lines.

G.
03-12-08, 02:59 PM
So Walker's a classy fisherman?

I'm all confused an stuff.

Insomniac
03-12-08, 03:59 PM
Scorecard:
2008 Champ Car teams
(-2) Forsythe/Petitt - OUT
(-2) Team Australia - OUT (?)
(-1) RocketSports - OUT (?)
(-2) Pacific Coast - OUT (?)
(-1) Minardi USA - OUT
( 2) Dale Coyne - (?)

(+2) NHL Racing - IN
(+2) KV Racing w/ Gore - IN
(+1) HVM Racing w/ Wiggins - IN
(+2) Conquest w/ Forsythe Eng. - IN

Did I miss anything?

Probably not, but a 10-car CC season would've sucked!

SurfaceUnits
03-12-08, 09:54 PM
So, Tony George phoned him and asked how big the check should be.:gomer:after consulting with Jabba :eek:

Spicoli
03-20-08, 03:48 PM
http://www.walkerracing.com/media/display.php?id=428&lang=en

Fire sale. No Walker @ LBGP. :shakehead

Sean Malone
03-20-08, 03:59 PM
Nice merger.

dando
03-20-08, 04:13 PM

Plus, he's suing Gore if Gore doesn't pony up for bills from last season. With friends like this, you don't need enemies. :saywhat:

So unless extra cars are run by KV and FCR, looks like ~12 cars @ LB. :(

-Kevin

jcollins28
03-20-08, 04:55 PM

Your really falling for that? Come on just the latest in shannanings from a man with no shame groveling. Walker has come up with more ways to ask for money that would make a t.v preacher blush. He will be in California in April.

STD
03-20-08, 06:19 PM
A static display might be nice.

Spicoli
03-20-08, 08:46 PM
Your really falling for that? Come on just the latest in shannanings from a man with no shame groveling. Walker has come up with more ways to ask for money that would make a t.v preacher blush. He will be in California in April.

Riiiight. :cry:

Walker is a striaght shooter, and only if somebody comes to his rescue (why would they) does he keep them.

grungex
03-20-08, 09:27 PM
He had some Reynards up for sale a while ago, why not the Panoz'? It's not like they'll be of any use to him after April.

That said, he'll be at LB if he can get some funding.

SurfaceUnits
03-20-08, 09:45 PM
The following is a statement from Walker Racing owner Derrick Walker.

Derrick Walker, Walker Racing Owner:

“I was extremely disappointed by Craig Gore’s announcement to take Team Australia, our driver, and sponsors to KV Racing. Contrary to Gore’s recent statements, I developed the concept of Team Australia in 2005. Over a three-year period, Team Australia had great success in using motor sports as a marketing tool for Australian companies, including Gore’s winery, Aussie Vineyards. Despite the success of the team, Gore defaulted on his financial obligations to Team Australia throughout the 2007 season. Walker Racing was forced to loan the team substantial funds in order to continue competing in the Champ Car World Series. Walker Racing is still owed in excess of $1,500,000 by Gore and his related entities. I relied upon Gore’s repeated assurances that he would fulfill his commitments to the Team Australia program and to me. Until Gore’s recent announcement to take Team Australia to KV Racing, I was led to believe that we would be moving forward together as a team in 2008. I believe that Gore’s actions are a serious default of his contractual commitments and fiduciary obligations as a business partner. I have given Gore ample opportunities to resolve these disputes informally. Unfortunately, it appears I will have no choice but to take legal action.”

Tex
03-21-08, 07:04 AM
I wonder if Walker sells his chassis', he'll have enough money to fund his IRL effort? :confused:

Spicoli
03-21-08, 07:33 AM
I wonder if Walker sells his chassis', he'll have enough money to fund his IRL effort? :confused:

Are you serious? :rofl:

dando
03-21-08, 01:09 PM

Dude, he might clear enough from that for a sack of Slyders. :gomer:

-Kevin

FCYTravis
03-21-08, 01:23 PM
What, you didn't know about the thriving secondary market for Panoz DP-01 chassis?

Sim-racers around the world are buying up the tubs for use as hyper-realistic cockpits. :laugh:

cameraman
03-21-08, 01:35 PM
Is it possible to fit an XD into a DP-01?

If they could get that to work and then sold the DP-01s as fully functional cars I would imagine that they could get a very good price for them.

extramundane
03-21-08, 01:39 PM
What, you didn't know about the thriving secondary market for Panoz DP-01 chassis?

Sim-racers around the world are buying up the tubs for use as hyper-realistic cockpits. :laugh:

Dude, didn't you hear? Gerry's buying 'em all up to start his own series.

Geez, where you been, Alaska?

grungex
03-21-08, 03:04 PM
Is it possible to fit an XD into a DP-01?

Basically, no.

Tex
03-22-08, 05:14 AM
Are you serious? :rofl:

No, not really. There isn't a sarcasm smilie so I tried confused. Confused you, eh? :D