PDA

View Full Version : Where's Scott

SurfaceUnits
03-06-08, 04:30 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0305/rpm_a_speed_580.jpg

Scott Speed knows he sticks out in the garage area on a NASCAR weekend. He shuns the usual blue-jeans-and-company-golf-shirt look of an off-duty racer, and his loose demeanor doesn't always match the subdued tones of the modern NASCAR drone, er, driver who lives in constant protection of a clean, sponsored image.

But most of all, Speed isn't one of them. Just listen to him.

"I look and act a lot different than everyone else here, I know that. I try to make it seem like I'm not arrogant, because I'm really not. I'm afraid some people probably think, with the loud clothes I wear, or how I act because I'm very loose, that I take myself very lightly," Speed said. "I have a feeling, certainly some people in the sport that watch me walking down the paddock think, 'Man, that guy must be arrogant as hell.'"

Um … the paddock?

The former Formula One driver hasn't completely embraced the lingo of his new world, but he's picking up everything else as quickly as he can. He finished seventh in his maiden stock car race in October 2007, an ARCA start at Talladega, and crashed out early in this year's ARCA opener at Daytona. He'll run the full season in ARCA for Eddie Sharp Racing (carrying the Red Bull colors), and the next step in Speed's development as an oval racer comes Friday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway when he makes his Craftsman Truck Series debut in the No. 46 Morgan-Dollar Motorsports Chevrolet.

It all still sounds peculiar, trading San Marino, Italy, for Salem, Ind., and Monaco for Martinsville, Va

Sean Malone
03-06-08, 04:42 PM
Gag. :yuck:

Gnam
03-06-08, 05:05 PM
Serious question: What do they call the paddock?

Wheel-Nut
03-06-08, 05:16 PM
Garage .

trish
03-06-08, 06:48 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0305/rpm_a_speed_580.jpg

Scott Speed knows he sticks out in the garage area on a NASCAR weekend. He shuns the usual blue-jeans-and-company-golf-shirt look of an off-duty racer, and his loose demeanor doesn't always match the subdued tones of the modern NASCAR drone, er, driver who lives in constant protection of a clean, sponsored image.

But most of all, Speed isn't one of them. Just listen to him.

"I look and act a lot different than everyone else here, I know that. I try to make it seem like I'm not arrogant, because I'm really not. I'm afraid some people probably think, with the loud clothes I wear, or how I act because I'm very loose, that I take myself very lightly," Speed said. "I have a feeling, certainly some people in the sport that watch me walking down the paddock think, 'Man, that guy must be arrogant as hell.'"

Um … the paddock?

The former Formula One driver hasn't completely embraced the lingo of his new world, but he's picking up everything else as quickly as he can. He finished seventh in his maiden stock car race in October 2007, an ARCA start at Talladega, and crashed out early in this year's ARCA opener at Daytona. He'll run the full season in ARCA for Eddie Sharp Racing (carrying the Red Bull colors), and the next step in Speed's development as an oval racer comes Friday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway when he makes his Craftsman Truck Series debut in the No. 46 Morgan-Dollar Motorsports Chevrolet.

It all still sounds peculiar, trading San Marino, Italy, for Salem, Ind., and Monaco for Martinsville, VaThanks for the heads-up. I'll try and catch it.

SurfaceUnits
03-06-08, 08:45 PM
the No. 46 Morgan-Dollar Motorsports Chevrolet - isn't this the same team that dropped their regular driver so that ajalmondinger could buy a ride.

pchall
03-06-08, 08:57 PM

That's where they keep the pit popsies they ride at night.

cart7
03-07-08, 05:24 AM

I'd like to help out, but I can't. I don't have the vocabulary.

signed,

Cole Tricklespeed.

rosawendel
03-07-08, 08:16 AM
There's the clabber girl sponsorship i was looking for!

opinionated ow
03-07-08, 08:51 AM
Hopefully between Villeneuve, Speed, Franchitti, Montoya they can bring a little class to NASCAR.....that would be the ultimate irony!

Andrew Longman
03-07-08, 09:19 AM
Garage .

Actually I think "Garage Area" is the term. That's where each team has a garage. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
03-07-08, 09:26 AM
Hopefully between Villeneuve, Speed, Franchitti, Montoya they can bring a little class to NASCAR.....that would be the ultimate irony!

Jeez I thought the complaint was that NASCAR drivers had become too spic n span cardboard corporate spokesboys. The fans want them to show "personality".

Those Jean Girard wannabes you mention are more likely to be punching bags for the Nascar regulars' "personalities" ;)

Accipiter
03-07-08, 10:06 AM
Garage .

Gararge. :gomer:

opinionated ow
03-07-08, 10:21 AM
Jeez I thought the complaint was that NASCAR drivers had become too spic n span cardboard corporate spokesboys. The fans want them to show "personality".

Those Jean Girard wannabes you mention are more likely to be punching bags for the Nascar regulars' "personalities" ;)

how would the rednecks cope with an (as they would pronounce it) uss-ee winning a race?

Dirk Diggler
03-07-08, 11:29 AM
Reminds me of that Simpsons episode...

Moe: A garage? Well laa-dee-daa Mr. French Man.
Homer: Well what do you call it?
Moe: It's a car hole!

Gnam
03-07-08, 01:16 PM
Reminds me of that Simpsons episode...

Moe: A garage? Well laa-dee-daa Mr. French Man.
Homer: Well what do you call it?
Moe: It's a car hole!
I'd love to hear Varsha use "car hole" during one of the F1 broadcasts. :D

trish
03-07-08, 10:03 PM
Get ready to watch The American Scott Speed race his way to the front. :laugh:

Accipiter
03-07-08, 10:56 PM
Nice to see Michael Waltrip assumes he's confused. :rolleyes:

cameraman
08-11-08, 04:34 PM
Seems Speed is now leading in the ARCA points race:laugh:

39th at Daytona
5th at Salem Speedway
6th at Iowa Speedway
1st at Kansas Speedway
35th at Rockingham
2nd at Kentucky Speedway
6th at Toledo Speedway
2nd at Pocono Raceway
4th at Michigan Int'l Speedway
8th at Cayuga Motor Speedway
1st at Kentucky Speedway
1st at Berlin Raceway
2nd at Pocono Raceway
1st at Nashville Superspeedway

Not bad for a Eurodiscotrash pretty boy:rofl:

High Sided
08-11-08, 07:30 PM
^

The Doctor
08-12-08, 01:19 AM
Seems Speed is now leading in the ARCA points race:laugh:

Not bad for a Eurodiscotrash pretty boy:rofl:

Frank Kimmel must be pissed. He may not win his nine hundredth ARCA championship.

Methanolandbrats
08-12-08, 07:47 AM
I've had a pass to get in there. The credential guy called it pit lane. Where an individual race cah is kept is the gayrahj.

Michaelhatesfans
08-12-08, 11:30 AM
I've had a pass to get in there. The credential guy called it pit lane. Where an individual race cah is kept is the gayrahj.

Is that where they mount the tars, or where they fixed the blowed engines?

Methanolandbrats
08-12-08, 11:49 AM
Is that where they mount the tars, or where they fixed the blowed engines?
Exactly. They keep all the tewls, duct tape and big hammers in there too.

Rogue Leader
08-12-08, 10:30 PM
Frank Kimmel must be pissed. He may not win his nine hundredth ARCA championship.

Its like being valedictorian of kindergarten reading!

Methanolandbrats
08-12-08, 10:46 PM
Its like being valedictorian of kindergarten reading!
:laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
08-13-08, 03:23 AM

All their high tech stuff. Got it.:thumbup:

oddlycalm
08-13-08, 02:59 PM
Not just big hammer, they gots al kinda hammers. You got yur tapping hammer, fitting hammer, small adjuster, medium adjuster, large adjuster and 16lb. railroad sledge.....

oc

Fio1
08-26-08, 03:32 AM
To be honest, I think Scott Speed is the best of the 'formula' refugees in Nascar. He's the only one actually winning races on ovals. Look at his Truck results. What does he have 4-5 starts? He already won 1 race and has what 2 poles, including one at Bristol? That's pretty good! And he finished 3rd their. Dorkmindenger or Draio Judd couldn't finish on the lead lap at Bristol if you gave them 20 races there.

Watch, he'll be in Cup soon enough and will start winning races. Probably before Montoya, AJ, Dario, Jacques, Hornish or Carpentier win a race on an oval.

oddlycalm
08-26-08, 07:52 PM
To be honest, I think Scott Speed is the best of the 'formula' refugees in Nascar.
- snip -
Watch, he'll be in Cup soon enough and will start winning races. Probably before Montoya, AJ, Dario, Jacques, Hornish or Carpentier win a race on an oval.
You're probably right about that, but other than a momentary recognition of that fact I can't bring myself to care about mototainment. Something about 3500lb cars slewing around on hard skinny tires that makes my brain shut down I guess. Glad they all have work but don't care to watch them do it.

oc

JohnHKart
08-27-08, 02:16 PM
The gayrahj is where Patreek Carparteeyeah is. (He's not gay just using stupid phoneticisms.)

Fio1
09-05-08, 04:34 PM
So Scotty will be making his Cup debut at Charolette in October in the #82 Red Bull Toyota. I'm sure Dinger will be glad to hear that....:rofl:

cameraman
09-05-08, 04:53 PM
It seems Speed managed an eighth place finish the very first time he ever raced on dirt and then he repeated the eighth place finish the second time he raced on dirt:laugh:

That boy is the model of consistency.:rofl:

So the #82 Red Bull Toyota, well that means nothing to me. Is it a good team?

You have to understand that the only #82 that I am familiar with is this one:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/shiny-wax.jpg